BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

02-20-2023, 03:33 AM   #1
xIte
Rep
Drives: M2C '19 + M3CX '23

Question Upgrading from M2C to M3 Comp xDrive or i4 M50?

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to upgrade from my 2019 M2 Competition. I really fell in love with an M3 Competition xDrive, but I'm also fascinated by electric cars.

Given that both the M3 and the i4 are not that far away in terms of drag racing, I'm looking for some real first-hand experience.

What do you think in terms of driving pleasure? What are the differences between the two cars? Would you choose an i4 over an M3?

Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 08:23 AM   #2
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Best to go for a test drive in both, might have some trouble finding an m3 to drive but the i4 should be easy. They'll feel like two completely different cars though.

Last edited by forcefed; 02-20-2023 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      02-20-2023, 10:45 AM   #3
house
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C (due May)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xIte View Post
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to upgrade from my 2019 M2 Competition. I really fell in love with an M3 Competition xDrive, but I'm also fascinated by electric cars.

Given that both the M3 and the i4 are not that far away in terms of drag racing, I'm looking for some real first-hand experience.

What do you think in terms of driving pleasure? What are the differences between the two cars? Would you choose an i4 over an M3?

Thank you very much!
I had an i4 M50 on order about a year ago, and I was super excited. Based on the specs, it was going to be incredible. I drove an i4 and it felt like a solid 3 series car. No complaints. A couple months later, I had a chance to drive an i4 M50. It was a rocket, and felt solid.

With that said, the best way to describe the car is that it "had no heart". It was too smooth. Sure, it was fast, but it wasn't fun. There was no burp in the exhaust, no slight jerk when you shift, just nothing to make it feel special (other than 0-60).

I went the following day and changed it to an M3C. I've had to wait much longer, but it should start production next week, and I have no regrets switching back to an ICE.

Also, we all know these are last all gas models. I'll always be able to get hybrid / electric down the road, but I won't be able to get an all gas ever again.
Appreciate 1
Joachim328.00
      02-23-2023, 03:03 PM   #4
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

This was me 1 yr ago. Always wanted an M3 but I drove a lot and my tried and tested ride the X3M40i was nearing 75K miles. Thought Id get an I4M50 and use it as my daily and retire the X3. I test drove it, loved the pick up. Placed deposit at 4 different dealers in March for the I4 M50. Then in July, my dealer told me that an M3 was available but 10K over MSRP. I went and checked it out. IOMG with fiona red buckets !!! It was like meeting my ex high school sweetheart at a reunion...all those feelings came right back as to why I wanted th M3 in the first place. Mind you I hadnt driven an M3 up until this point. Then, I went to the BMW autobahn event and got to drive an M3 on the track and also do the slalom with the I4M50 and while the I4 was a perfect daily drive, it didnt give me any of the feelings of an M car. Pretty much lost interest in the I4. Then was on the fence about changing my build to M3 until I found out that there will be more delays to get the I4 and there were battery issues too. Pretty much sealed the deal. Cancelled my I4 builds and found a broker and got an open allocation for an M3 and got my car in December !!! Love it so far. The sound, the revving, the feeling of acceleration and the cool factor. Its not a converted 4 series, its a true M car and you feel it while u are driving it. So if you are coming from an M2, you will be really disappointed with the I4 as its just a car that goes fast. Not visceral like the M3 and battery tech is still not there yet. If u have another ICE car as a toy, then go for it. Otherwise, I would go with the M3. I was gonna wait for the next iteration of the I4 for my DD once my X3 dies, but test drove the IX and I think its a much better car that can do a lot. Hoping the LCI version of IX fixes the ugly front grill. Good luck
Appreciate 3
tatarwj378.00
xIte25.50
DO4441408.50
      02-23-2023, 03:45 PM   #5
xIte
Rep

Thank you very much!

This confirms, what I assumed: The i4 seems to be a lot less emotional. I really appreciate the input and feedback.

How would you compare the driving experience of the M3CX coming from an M2C?
Appreciate 2
Aalfred2607.00
DO4441408.50
      02-23-2023, 04:13 PM   #6
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Thank you very much!

This confirms, what I assumed: The i4 seems to be a lot less emotional. I really appreciate the input and feedback.

How would you compare the driving experience of the M3CX coming from an M2C?
I havent driven an M2C but from what I read in the forum, the M3CX interiors are much better and the ride is smoother. Since you are used to the power and the revving, you might have more fun with it and use it as a daily. I see that u r in germany and might be subject to a gas tax but if you are planning to keep the M3CX for less that 3 yrs, then go for it.
Appreciate 2
xIte25.50
DO4441408.50
      02-24-2023, 01:21 AM   #7
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Searching!

I'd think carefully before replacing the M2C. A few points:
-Extremely tossable with delightful handling
-Manual looking gauges
-Gobs of power

I've driven the i4 M50:
-Very powerful
-Very Heavy
-Didn't feel as light

I've also driven the G80/G82 RWD in both M/T and Auto:
-Nicely finished interior
-iDrive 8 is a bit tech heavy IMO
-Miss the handbrake
-Decent handling but still not as tossable as the M2C

Having the back seats in the M3 is nice along with some of the amenities, HUD, power trunk, etc. I would say it's a nice incremental upgrade features wise over the M2C but still prefer the M2C's driving feel.
Appreciate 1
xIte25.50
      02-24-2023, 02:48 AM   #8
xIte
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
Having the back seats in the M3 is nice along with some of the amenities, HUD, power trunk, etc. I would say it's a nice incremental upgrade features wise over the M2C but still prefer the M2C's driving feel.
Thank you very much for the insight. How would you compare the feeling in particular? I also have a Mercedes GLA AMG 35 to compare, which feels a lot smoother, but less fun. Shifting isn't really notable, compared to M2's bbbrrrRRRPPPPP bbbbrrRRRPPP! Other than that, I always have a huge smile, when getting back into my M2C and driving around. It feels direct, much faster and raw.

However, on the other hand, I'm really looking forward to a tad more luxurious interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 01:55 AM   #9
badboykillla
Registered
Rep
Drives: g80 m3

i've test drove the I4 M50...its probably the worst in terms of steering feel
the steering is super light and it reminds me of a early 2000 s-class and zero road feel.
its fast but its not sporty to me at all. i'd skip it if your looking for a sports car.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      03-28-2023, 01:47 AM   #10
xIte
Rep

Hey guys,

I test drove an M4 Comp xDrive a few days ago and it was a very interesting experience.

The M2's smaller size and lighter weight seem to make it more nimble and agile. There can be an adrenaline rush when using the car's grip and balance around corners. It also feels a little more playful and rough.

On the other hand, the M3/M4 offers a more sophisticated driving experience, with a host of advanced technologies and a much more luxurious feel. It's a powerhouse and I was surprised how fast I got without even noticing. It is also a lot of fun and I quickly got into a speed rush, although it is a different feeling to the M2.

For longer distances I would definitely prefer the M3/M4, especially at higher speeds. For shorter distances the M2 is probably a bit more fun.
Appreciate 2
DO4441408.50
Humdizzle6069.00
      03-28-2023, 07:46 AM   #11
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Hey guys,

I test drove an M4 Comp xDrive a few days ago and it was a very interesting experience.

The M2's smaller size and lighter weight seem to make it more nimble and agile. There can be an adrenaline rush when using the car's grip and balance around corners. It also feels a little more playful and rough.

On the other hand, the M3/M4 offers a more sophisticated driving experience, with a host of advanced technologies and a much more luxurious feel. It's a powerhouse and I was surprised how fast I got without even noticing. It is also a lot of fun and I quickly got into a speed rush, although it is a different feeling to the M2.

For longer distances I would definitely prefer the M3/M4, especially at higher speeds. For shorter distances the M2 is probably a bit more fun.
I went from an M2C to my manual G80. Overall, the G80/G82 setup is much more balanced and fully-developed than the M2C. The shorter wheelbase and under-tired nature of the M2C had its charms, but overall some of its fun was due to its flaws rather than its capabilities. By that I mean that they didn't upsize the tires when they added the extra power of the S55 to the M2. I ended up doing so and it vastly improved the M2C experience but changing tires doesn't change the on/off switch nature of the S55 or the less amusing character of that engine for the last 2k RPMs. Again, its flaws were a lot of its charms, especially at lower speeds putzing around town.

A lot of my somewhat negative-in-retrospect thoughts about my M2C only really solidified once I had gotten to fully know my G80 after a few thousand miles.
Appreciate 2
xIte25.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      03-28-2023, 07:58 AM   #12
xIte
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
overall some of its fun was due to its flaws rather than its capabilities
This is very well put!

I ordered a M3CX three weeks ago and I'm more excited than ever.
Appreciate 5
bri10425937.00
JeetG80x323.50
DO4441408.50
M4ord787.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      03-28-2023, 10:13 AM   #13
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I went from an M2C to my manual G80. Overall, the G80/G82 setup is much more balanced and fully-developed than the M2C. The shorter wheelbase and under-tired nature of the M2C had its charms, but overall some of its fun was due to its flaws rather than its capabilities. By that I mean that they didn't upsize the tires when they added the extra power of the S55 to the M2. I ended up doing so and it vastly improved the M2C experience but changing tires doesn't change the on/off switch nature of the S55 or the less amusing character of that engine for the last 2k RPMs. Again, its flaws were a lot of its charms, especially at lower speeds putzing around town.

A lot of my somewhat negative-in-retrospect thoughts about my M2C only really solidified once I had gotten to fully know my G80 after a few thousand miles.
I really enjoyed the M2C for 2 years. From day one, picking up at DC and driving all the way to Dallas (with my oldest daughter, 20 back then) was a lot of fun. Comfortable enough for a 1250 mile trip, but lack of insulation required higher volume on the radio, more frequent stops (including the small fuel tank) and ECO setting on the engine to quiet it down for the long cruise... The 6MT was great for me, this being my 5th or 6th 6MT BMW, I am totally fine with the 6MT. The rev matching also worked well for me and never bothered to disengage it. Never missed any tech, loved the simplicity, of it.

It was a great looking little car, great and wild around town, easy to lose the grip, but very responsive and predictable once you get to know it.

I enjoyed 7800 miles with it, but next thing required 4 doors and time to move on to the G80 6MT
Appreciate 1
xIte25.50
      04-07-2023, 03:26 AM   #14
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thank you very much!
I’m biased but the only car I’d consider there would be the m3x. If I could swing the price of the m3 I absolutely would not choose the i4, no way, no how.

If you really want something “i”, then at least wait for the new i8 imo.

Might be tough to test drive an m3. I’ve always had a difficult time getting dealers to do that, usually because they don’t have an available car on the lot. Around here, if there’s a nice car on the lot then it’s already sold waiting for the owner to come get it. That goes for Porsche and BMW, even the taycan’s are tough to test around here because before they even come in they’re sold.

All I can tell you is for my money, the only cars BMW make that interest me are full fat M cars. I’d take a mt stripper g80, if I had to, before any i4.

I’d say, if you loved your m2… then the m3 is the only real choice you have here. I don’t think the i4 is gonna do it for ya.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 03:53 AM   #15
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
I know you already ordered the M3, but I also wanted to provide insight into your question. It will likely confirm the choice you already made.

I went to the UDE experience in DC a couple of weeks ago, and they had the i4 M50 to toss around on a short track. According to my highly sensitive butt dyno, the initial torque when flooring the i4 matches the torque I feel in the G83, which makes sense as they both have the same foot-pounds of torque and are very close in 0-60 times—the similarities end when you turn the wheel, though.

The I4 feels like it doesn't want to go around the corner fast but will comply with your request, much like an eye roll from a teenager asked to do chores, whereas the M4 is practically begging you to go into the corner.

My experience with the M2 Comp is similar but driven at Spartanburg track, and my impressions of the car match everyone else's insight. The M2 begs you to break the back end loose because of the bite into gear of the DCT. The M4 wants to try and set a new lap record.
Appreciate 1
xIte25.50
      04-12-2023, 07:01 PM   #16
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
BMWs new naming convention is retarded
Appreciate 0