BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-28-2022, 08:33 PM   #45
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flsupraguy View Post
Sorry but I don't get it. Buy a comp and add ohlins and tune and you have 95% a "csl".....
That's what everyone said about the M2CS & M5CS and guess what!?

EVO PCOTY 2020 & 2021 beating, among others, the Lambo Huracan and the Porsche GT4RS

I wish you the best with your mods
      09-28-2022, 08:40 PM   #46
aj_g80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 720s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post

EVO PCOTY 2020 & 2021 beating amongst others, the Lambo Huracan and the Porsche GT4RS

This forum needs to stop comparing bmw's to real supercars. Its comical. There are levels to this car thing..
Appreciate 3
WAB69.50
Poochie9104.50
      09-28-2022, 08:42 PM   #47
WAB
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 BMW M3 (Feb %E2%80%9822),

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jeez, BMW and Porsche GT3 should not be mentioned in the same article.
Dumb mentality.

When E46 and E92 M3's were being compared to Porsche's, everyone is crying why BMW can't go back to that - build sportier cars. Now when something gets compared to Porsche, it shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence? Which one is it? You want a sporty car or not?

Or maybe it's just the trendy thing to say "Porsche is t3h bestest! Nothing can rival or be better than Porsche!"

Read my post again, comparing the GT3 and anything BMW makes is hilarious.
Again, why? Why is it so absurd to mention BMW in the same sentence as Porsche or a GT3? No one says the car is or has to be better than the GT3 but has traits that can rival it. We did it with the E46 M3 and to a lesser extent, the E92 M3 as a value proposition. Why suddenly is so wrong to do it? BMW shouldn't be capable to make a limited production sports car when they focus on SUVs?
Because the CSL is derived from a bloated family grocery getter and the GT3 is derived from motor sports. There's only so much lipstick you can put on a pig and call it a thoroughbred, or you can have an actual thoroughbred.

I'm not a BMW hater or Porsche fanboy. I've had everything from 1M, e36 m3, e90 m3, m2, f82… I just hate what BMW has done to M. They've gone soft, with lazy engines that are stuck with n SUV, they sound like a lawn mower, and have gotten so massive that handling at the track or country roads is a bit unnerving. Sure anyone can go in a straight line fast these days or do a donut, but overall the engineering money is being lorded over by accountants and the focus is margins, it feels and is a big company.

Then:
M = Motorsport

Now:
M = Money
For real.. bmw are such idiots for making these lazy engines these days.

Like seriously only 700hp with a tune??

And what we can only hold 1200 hp with the stock bottom end??

I mean the x drive g8x is only doing 2.2 to 60.

How the mighty have fallen
I'm glad you get it. BMWs used to be good driver's cars, you know, like when you turn the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 08:42 PM   #48
icpee
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Because the CSL is derived from a bloated family grocery getter and the GT3 is derived from motor sports. There's only so much lipstick you can put on a pig and call it a thoroughbred, or you can have an actual thoroughbred.

I'm not a BMW hater or Porsche fanboy. I've had everything from 1M, e36 m3, e90 m3, m2, f82… I just hate what BMW has done to M. They've gone soft, with lazy engines that are stuck with n SUV, they sound like a lawn mower, and have gotten so massive that handling at the track or country roads is a bit unnerving. Sure anyone can go in a straight line fast these days or do a donut, but overall the engineering money is being lorded over by accountants and the focus is margins, it feels and is a big company.

Then:
M = Motorsport

Now:
M = Money
All this over a line in an article that compares one car with another.

You need to calm down mate. It really is not that serious. You'll get comparisons all the time in almost every car review.
Appreciate 3
      09-28-2022, 08:42 PM   #49
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:

Then:
M = Motorsport

Now:
M = Money
I don't think BMW has gone soft, the engine is nearly a like for like for the engine in the M4 GT3 race car. Turbo charging doesn't equal laziness and NA high revving isn't the answer to all performance cars. Its just a different philosophy. BMW has never made dedicated sports cars, they've made sedan cars that M tunes into sports cars.

Porsche makes dedicated sports cars, but it didn't make a GT car brand until it realized it could make serious money by making meticulously engineered races cars for people to put in their garage to look at or drive to cars and coffee and chat about with their friends.

Its all about money. Porsche didn't make a brand new high-revving bespoke engine for a GT4, for example. They bored and stroked a turbocharged 911 engine and everyone went gaga for a place where they "cut corners". They've always been about making money, they make more money per car then almost all car brands.

I'll default back to my prior statement. As a car that is "fun to drive", the best M cars are better then all other cars (baring a few exceptions). They don't do it for free, but they also didn't cut corners for $140k with the CSL and other recent great M cars. They just did their best to apply the brands philosophy of turning regular cars into sports cars.
Appreciate 10
      09-28-2022, 08:43 PM   #50
WAB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_g80 View Post
Quote:

EVO PCOTY 2020 & 2021 beating amongst others, the Lambo Huracan and the Porsche GT4RS

This forum needs to stop comparing bmw's to real supercars. Its comical. There are levels to this car thing..
"Buy…but… I have 1 billion horsepowers"
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 08:46 PM   #51
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icpee View Post

You need to calm down mate. It really is not that serious. You'll get comparisons all the time in almost every car review.
Lets not forget, the M5 CS dog-walked the 992 GT3 Touring in Evo Car of the Year last year. No contest choice by almost everyone in the group test of which car they would take.

So from a purchasing decision standpoint, its absolutely a valid comparison.
Appreciate 3
      09-28-2022, 08:46 PM   #52
WAB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Then:
M = Motorsport

Now:
M = Money

Cool mate, feel free to jump in with an original opinion
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 08:50 PM   #53
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Dumb mentality.

When E46 and E92 M3's were being compared to Porsche's, everyone is crying why BMW can't go back to that - build sportier cars. Now when something gets compared to Porsche, it shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence? Which one is it? You want a sporty car or not?

Or maybe it's just the trendy thing to say "Porsche is t3h bestest! Nothing can rival or be better than Porsche!"

Again, why? Why is it so absurd to mention BMW in the same sentence as Porsche or a GT3? No one says the car is or has to be better than the GT3 but has traits that can rival it. We did it with the E46 M3 and to a lesser extent, the E92 M3 as a value proposition. Why suddenly is so wrong to do it? BMW shouldn't be capable to make a limited production sports car when they focus on SUVs?

Then:
M = Motorsport

Now:
M = Money

I'm glad you get it. BMWs used to be good driver's cars, you know, like when you turn the wheel.
Yeah man I just imagine a day when maybe BMW will have a car that has a GT3 version of it again…

Or christ what if they broke their all time N ring record with a new RWD car…

I guess we just have to dream
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4261.50
      09-28-2022, 08:51 PM   #54
icpee
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Honestly I'm just saying you get car comparisons in almost all reviews online. BMW's best will inevitably be compared to that of the other german manufacturers or cars in its class.

It's not an issue to get into a debate over profit margins, motorsport history etc. because as we all know times change and priorities for these car manufaturers change with it.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2022, 08:52 PM   #55
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_g80 View Post

Just curious, if BMWs are soooooo bad, why are you both here WAB and aj_g80
beden1511.00
      09-28-2022, 08:54 PM   #56
WAB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Dumb mentality.

Then:
M = Motorsport

Now:
M = Money

Yeah man I just imagine a day when maybe BMW will have a car that has a GT3 version of it again…

Or christ what if they broke their all time N ring record with a new RWD car…

I guess we just have to dream
Yeah and that GT3 version BMw wins races like the e30 did and gets close to 7min n ring by 2030
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 08:56 PM   #57
WAB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Honestly I'm just saying you get car comparisons in almost all reviews online. BMW's best will inevitably be compared to that of the other german manufacturers or cars in its class.

It's not an issue to get into a debate over profit margins, motorsport history etc. because as we all know times change and priorities for these car manufaturers change with it.
Honestly, why not compare the CSL to the GT4 or 911 GTS. Lazy journalism? No, C&D know which car models get more clicks so they went with gt3
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2022, 08:56 PM   #58
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Not sure what we're arguing about anymore in this thread. Personally i can afford to buy a GT3, but i'm buying a CSL instead. People like us exist, and we have valid reasons for our purchasing decisions. Carry on, its a valid comparison for where you put dollars in cars.
Appreciate 3
JDUNITNOW3513.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      09-28-2022, 08:57 PM   #59
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I've owned, tracked many M cars since the 90's, loyal customer to the bmw brand since but by reading the comments here I can tell most of you never tracked or driven any porsche GT cars

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 4
      09-28-2022, 08:57 PM   #60
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

M4 GTS 2.0
      09-28-2022, 08:57 PM   #61
WAB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "aj_g80;29383482"

Hopefully BMW reads this stuff and thinks about what they've done
Appreciate 2
      09-28-2022, 09:20 PM   #62
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Hopefully BMW reads this stuff and thinks about what they've done
That was the most amusing thing you've said all day

10/10 my friend
ScullyD5165.50
WAB69.50
      09-28-2022, 09:31 PM   #63
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Who cares if Porsche makes a better car. BMW must be doing something right if they are compared to Porsche. The G80 and F90 M5 are great cars and both serve a purpose and meet the majority of customers needs and if not they wouldn't be selling them. For the few that come on the board to bash the product wouldn't buy one anyway so their opinions don't matter much. M cars are not built for the quarter mile although some mod them for that purpose. Not meant to track significantly either unless you got deep pockets.
Porsche is like Rolex now, you have to pay ridiculous money to have either. Most wealthy not rich people will not spend their money on these items, they just bet on when it all turns to shit and they can come in and scoop it up at pennies on the dollar.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 09:44 PM   #64
flsupraguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 09:47 PM   #65
flsupraguy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
I've owned, tracked many M cars since the 90's, loyal customer to the bmw brand since but by reading the comments here I can tell most of you never tracked or driven any porsche GT cars
Tracked all of mine and also own a cup car. Most m3 owners I know don't track and most Porsche owners I know do.....

I plan to take my new m3 to Sebring a few times but will likely be disappointed compared to the gt3 on track.
Appreciate 2
edwinm3980.00
Bokke573.50
      09-28-2022, 09:51 PM   #66
flsupraguy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Lets not forget, the M5 CS dog-walked the 992 GT3 Touring in Evo Car of the Year last year. No contest choice by almost everyone in the group test of which car they would take.

So from a purchasing decision standpoint, its absolutely a valid comparison.
a touring absolutely annihilate a m5cs on a large track. It's one thing to post a hero lap time, another to do it reliably lap after lap. The m5 is too heavy and would crush its brakes after a few laps but most people here only read magazines and have never been to a road course......
Appreciate 2
edwinm3980.00