home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - Northwest

04-01-2023, 08:43 PM   #1
deathmetal666
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Tires AS vs summer

Do you guys switch tires during the year?
If so…when?

I’m taking delivery next week and I got the Michelins.

I was considering immediately taking them off and putting on Conti or Michelin AS. Then selling the stock Pilot Sport 4S.

But at the same time…I’d like to experience the car with a performance tire during the warm months.
I’m considering keeping them on the car…hoping the weather has turned now. Then switching to an AS in October, then back again in April to a summer tire.

How do you guys handle the weather changes with the tires?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 04:15 AM   #2
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

When it gets over 10c min temps will switch back to pirelli PZ4 ( as good as 4S). Below stick with pilot alpin 5’s. michelin and pirelli websites advise against using summers below 7-10c due to risk of cracking etc. also i’ve found grip compromised on summers below 15c in wet.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 05:29 AM   #3
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Being retired and not having to drive on wintery days, I switched out my summers for Continental all-seasons -- 19" all-around.
      04-02-2023, 05:59 AM   #4
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I'm targeting next weekend for switching off of my PS4AS's and back to the PS4S's.

Last year when I switched, we got snow the next day so I could be cursed, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 04:22 PM   #5
CC M3C X
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Xdrive

I took delivery in December and went to the Conti’s as soon as the tire shop could get me in. That was for winter here in North Idaho. Since we are not completely done with winter yet I have not experienced the car on summer tires. I am planning on putting the summer tires back on once the seasonal tire change chaos has ended. I don’t feel rushed to change them out as they do really well in all conditions.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 05:24 PM   #6
Tony_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 6MT

I took delivery in January and never switched my tires, I’m still on the stock Pirelli’s. If the weather is bad I just don’t drive the car.

Yes I am aware the driving on summers in colder temps will cause premature tire wear but that just gives me an excuse to have to get rid of the Pirellis 😂.

Next year I’ll probably soring for a winter wheel and tire package.

I think since it’s already April, you will probably be safe sticking with the summer tires. Just don’t drive like a maniac when the temperatures are below 50 and you’ll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 06:05 PM   #7
user12464
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, G80 M3C Xdrive

Not sure driving summer tires in winter causes premature wear. The main issue is if you park in temps well below freezing then summer tires may crack if moved before they warm up.

If it's dry, summer tires are better for stopping and handling even down to freezing. Just don't want to go much colder than that.

For wet driving, summer tires start to lose traction about 50 degrees F. They aren't undrivable when it's colder than 50 and wet but you have to be very careful.

Bottom line is if you can avoid driving you M3 when it's below freezing (pretty rare in Portland) no need for AS tires.

The video below is very informative:

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 07:08 PM   #8
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by user12464 View Post
Not sure driving summer tires in winter causes premature wear. The main issue is if you park in temps well below freezing then summer tires may crack if moved before they warm up.

If it's dry, summer tires are better for stopping and handling even down to freezing. Just don't want to go much colder than that.

For wet driving, summer tires start to lose traction about 50 degrees F. They aren't undrivable when it's colder than 50 and wet but you have to be very careful.

Bottom line is if you can avoid driving you M3 when it's below freezing (pretty rare in Portland) no need for AS tires.

The video below is very informative:

Yeah, I'm the Portland and area and the increased rain driving performance from using PS4AS's or DWS06+'s is well worth it. I'm no longer new to RWD M's in Portland "winters" and I absolutely do not think it's worth the risk (24 Portland winters, 5 with RWD M's). Too much tailgating, too many emergency maneuvers required due to random Subaru stupidity.

Wet driving is what matters here during "winter".

Sorry, the cost of tires and a spare set of wheels just isn't that big of a deal compared to what these cars cost or the trouble of damage due to the car not being what it should be going down 26.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 06:40 PM   #9
deathmetal666
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Cool….I’ve been convinced to just keep the Michelin summers on the car.l for now.
I have another car with all seasons on it that I’ll drive when needed.

Just want to be able to use the M3 on those rare sunny winter days.
I’ll just wait until next October to swap out for all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 04:52 PM   #10
m3wannab
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 Macan GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
For areas like ours where it’s mostly cold rain in the winter, is there any preference for PS4AS vs DSW06+? Also which tire would have more sidewall to protect against curb rashes etc.
Appreciate 0