BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

10-31-2023, 03:57 PM   #1
Savsearcher
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp xdrive, '24 iX M60

Just had a ChargePoint Flex hardwired charger installed in my garage and everything looks good but the ix won’t lock the charger when it’s plugged in, therefore it won’t charge. I’ve spoken to ChargePoint and they’re saying it could be something with the iX and to contact my dealer. The BMW charger worked just a couple of days ago, but because I went hardwired with the ChargePoint, the electricians had to cut power to my 240v outlet (not enough room in the existing breaker box) so I don’t have a backup charger now. The iX sees the charger when it’s plugged in but says the cable has been unlocked.

Has anyone experienced this issue on their iX?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 03:59 PM   #2
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savsearcher View Post
Just had a ChargePoint Flex hardwired charger installed in my garage and everything looks good but the ix won’t lock the charger when it’s plugged in, therefore it won’t charge. I’ve spoken to ChargePoint and they’re saying it could be something with the iX and to contact my dealer. The BMW charger worked just a couple of days ago, but because I went hardwired with the ChargePoint, the electricians had to cut power to my 240v outlet (not enough room in the existing breaker box) so I don’t have a backup charger now.

Has anyone experienced this issue on their iX?
If other L2 chargers work, but that one doesn't, its likely the charger. Do you have any nearby L2 destination chargers you could test on?

If you are lucky, maybe it is just the ChargePoint connector. The cables are very easy to replace.
      10-31-2023, 05:11 PM   #3
Savsearcher
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxxviii View Post
If other L2 chargers work, but that one doesn't, its likely the charger. Do you have any nearby L2 destination chargers you could test on?

If you are lucky, maybe it is just the ChargePoint connector. The cables are very easy to replace.
I just tried the BMW charger again and it worked, so it’s not a car issue. Must be an issue with the ChargePoint cable. Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 05:24 PM   #4
zipity
Rep
Drives: '99 C5 Corvette, BMW iX M60

I did a quick google and found this post regarding the ChargePoint Flex not connecting. https://www.vwidtalk.com/threads/at-....439/post-5488. The quick summary is that ChargePoint sent the person new cables which corrected the issue. Looks like the locking mechanism was the wrong size.
Appreciate 2
exxxviii1384.50
      10-31-2023, 05:32 PM   #5
Savsearcher
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Fixed! The electricians did not attach the small blue and yellow cables that are in a 4 pin plug inside the wall unit. I called ChargePoint to let them know that the BMW charger was working and I got a new rep who had me open the front of the wall unit to check the wires. What a relief!
Appreciate 2
Road Trip1379.50
exxxviii1384.50
      10-31-2023, 05:46 PM   #6
Road Trip
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60 & ‘23 C8 Z06

Thanks for sharing for ChargePoint is one of the highest rated EVSE’s. Quite a few of our smart members have one in their garage (you chose well).
T
As to your electrician, I was looking at both the CG install manual (on line) and their YT install video, and both are crystal clear that that blue/yellow 4-pin fitting is to be connected into its highly-visible receiving port, i.e., the electrician failed quite a bit on your install (it not working at all) but at least it was not a melted wire, fire or other safety failure.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2023, 05:51 PM   #7
Savsearcher
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
Thanks for sharing for ChargePoint is one of the highest rated EVSE’s. Quite a few of our smart members have one in their garage (you chose well).
T
As to your electrician, I was looking at both the CG install manual (on line) and their YT install video, and both are crystal clear that that blue/yellow 4-pin fitting is to be connected into its highly-visible receiving port, i.e., the electrician failed quite a bit on your install (it not working at all) but at least it was not a melted wire, fire or other safety failure.
When the second rep had me open the front panel, I saw that 4-pin plug dangling and I thought oh, it must be like that for a reason. The rep says “everything in the panel must be plugged in!” and voila! Very relieved and very appreciative for ChargePoint’s customer support. He said the first rep who helped me was new and that he was going to provide feedback to make sure all of the troubleshooting steps are followed.
Appreciate 3
exxxviii1384.50
Road Trip1379.50
      04-30-2024, 10:08 PM   #8
ghorig
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4, M240, iX

I had a similar issue where I couldn't get a positive lock in my IX using a ChargePoint Home Flex when plugging in. I just had it installed a week ago and it would lock but when I walked away from the vehicle, it would unlock. Same charger at a friend's house worked fine and I noticed that when charging at his house I got a strong positive CLICK when I plugged in. Not so much at my place.

On a bit of investigation, I noticed a small plastic piece under the locking clip that was preventing the positive lock.

Best explained in video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/q92TQQJLC4t48bfH6

Hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:53 AM   #9
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

I recommend disabling locking while charging unless you are in a public place. My car bricked for 24 hrs (unrelated to charging) and we could not get the charger unplugged until the car came back to life. We later discovered that 2022 and 2023 models have an emergency release in the upper rear recesses of the CCS port that is difficult to find and operate. BMW Genius doesn't even know about it. Fortunately car came back to life and we were able to unplug it at that point.
Appreciate 0