BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-25-2024, 12:45 PM   #1
mthreesixty3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera (991.2)

Driving dynamic similarities between M3 and M4

Interested in a G80 M3 xdrive and have never driven one, most dealers don't have any & I really want to spend some quality time in a broken-in car; hence Turo. I've only ever really spent a few minutes behind the wheel of the G80 RWD Comp - which was really solid outside the trans (to which i would do a CS map).

However, on Turo, i can only find M4 Xdrives to rent & no M3s, will the M4 feel, drive and perform similarly to the M3 for the purpose of me getting an idea if i want the car?

Also looking at GTS 4.0, AMG GTC/GTR (depending on depreciation over next few months), 991.1 GT3 if anyone has any other inputs. Former 911 and C63s owner, hated the F80 but really enjoyed the G80.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 12:53 PM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

I mean, if the GT3 is an option, even the 991.1, it's an easy choice even if the G8x is faster. Nothing really drives like a 911.

Aside from driving position, the F80 and F82 felt nearly identical to me. I'd imagine the G80 and G82 will also. Same wheelbase, nearly same weight. Might be a negligible balance difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 01:45 PM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

The G80 and G82 drive nearly identically. I say nearly because they drive identically at any limit I've ever approached on the street. I'm sure if you get them on track you MAY see SOME difference. Maybe.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 10:25 PM   #4
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

The difference is in perception more so than anything . 2 door coupe vs 4 door sedan

You feel more enclosed in the M4 , frameless windows and no B pillar. Gives you a tad bit better peripheral vision as well
      04-25-2024, 11:10 PM   #5
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthreesixty3 View Post
Interested in a G80 M3 xdrive and have never driven one, most dealers don't have any & I really want to spend some quality time in a broken-in car; hence Turo. I've only ever really spent a few minutes behind the wheel of the G80 RWD Comp - which was really solid outside the trans (to which i would do a CS map).

However, on Turo, i can only find M4 Xdrives to rent & no M3s, will the M4 feel, drive and perform similarly to the M3 for the purpose of me getting an idea if i want the car?

Also looking at GTS 4.0, AMG GTC/GTR (depending on depreciation over next few months), 991.1 GT3 if anyone has any other inputs. Former 911 and C63s owner, hated the F80 but really enjoyed the G80.
Unless a 991.1 GT3 has a G6 engine, I would 100% avoid it. And I’m a manual person but that’s personal preference.
Appreciate 1
akkando5864.50
      Yesterday, 01:25 AM   #6
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

I've driven both and didn't feel any difference. G82 is slightly lower and there may be a slight weight difference, but none of that is noticeable.

Their main differences are the size and the number of their doors.
2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:54 AM   #7
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

I've just traded in my G82 M4CX for a G80 M3 CS but I have also driven an M3CX and the main differences with driving dynamics that I've noticed are:

1. You feel lower down in the M4 and for me, I prefer the slightly better view out of the M3 as I seem to be seated slightly higher (and I don't think it's my seating position settings).

2. I do think there is a slightly different ride quality between the cars. I know the CS does feel different to a standard G80 M3CX because of the changes, however I also felt the G80 M3CX I have driven felt different to the G82 - slightly more compliant - not softer as such but a bit more compliant on UK B roads. The M4 feels slightly firmer / rigid when driving on rough and undulating roads.

3. The back end of the M4 "feels" wider when menouvering the car in tight spaces (e.g. driving up/down ramps in a multi-story car park). It may be perception because of how the squarer wheel arches look in the side mirrors, but it definitely makes the rear track of the M4 feel wider in certain scenarios

Other than that, the two cars (M3/M4 CX not the M3 CS) feel almost identical.

One other point, the carbon bucket seats are much more difficult to get into/out of in the G80, due to the door pillar. I had no issues in the G82 but the G80 requires a bit of acrobatic skill !
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 08:40 AM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGM4 View Post

One other point, the carbon bucket seats are much more difficult to get into/out of in the G80, due to the door pillar. I had no issues in the G82 but the G80 requires a bit of acrobatic skill !
You know, that makes me wonder. I wonder how many people who say "buckets are no big deal" are G82 owners vs. G80?

As I've said before, being 6'2" and having the seat quite far back means the seat is partially blocked by the B pillar in my G80. Plus having the wheel far out means that even with the standard seats, I have to make a concerted effort not to rub my leg on the side of the steering wheel when I get in. I instead rub the b pillar, figuring it's a lot cheaper to replace the door seal trim than wear out my steering wheel.

Last car I had with a manual adjustable wheel where I had this issue was my GTi and in 25k miles I had worn through the leather on the wheel at the 7-8 o-clock position.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 09:48 AM   #9
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
You know, that makes me wonder. I wonder how many people who say "buckets are no big deal" are G82 owners vs. G80?

As I've said before, being 6'2" and having the seat quite far back means the seat is partially blocked by the B pillar in my G80. Plus having the wheel far out means that even with the standard seats, I have to make a concerted effort not to rub my leg on the side of the steering wheel when I get in. I instead rub the b pillar, figuring it's a lot cheaper to replace the door seal trim than wear out my steering wheel.

Last car I had with a manual adjustable wheel where I had this issue was my GTi and in 25k miles I had worn through the leather on the wheel at the 7-8 o-clock position.
I am also 6'2. Having sat in a couple G80's with bucket seats, I wouldn't say that the bucket seats are THAT hard to get in an out of. But there is no way to do it without forcefully rubbing against the side bolster, which I imagine would get worn out in a fairly short order.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #10
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

A big problem with the whole seat and get in and get out thing is people tend to have their wheels too far out. In my opinion, if your elbows are tucked to your side way too much, which is what I usually see when I see this, it’s too far out from what it really should be. I don’t know how it’s safe for people to drive like that because if your elbow hits the side bolster of your seat and keeps you from being able to turn the wheel beyond a certain point without shuffling with your other hand, it’s gonna be dangerous in “quick need” situation. I’ve seen people sit so close that they cannot turn the wheel any further without removing their hand when they turn from 10 to 8 o’clock.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you should be couching it, but if you’re barely straightening your arm to hang your wrists on the top of the wheel, you’re way too close.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:32 AM   #11
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
A big problem with the whole seat and get in and get out thing is people tend to have their wheels too far out. In my opinion, if your elbows are tucked to your side way too much, which is what I usually see when I see this, it’s too far out from what it really should be. I don’t know how it’s safe for people to drive like that because if your elbow hits the side bolster of your seat and keeps you from being able to turn the wheel beyond a certain point without shuffling with your other hand, it’s gonna be dangerous in “quick need” situation. I’ve seen people sit so close that they cannot turn the wheel any further without removing their hand when they turn from 10 to 8 o’clock.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you should be couching it, but if you’re barely straightening your arm to hang your wrists on the top of the wheel, you’re way too close.
My arm is completely straight, and I can hardly get my wrist to bend over the top of the wheel (and I believe in this alignment method as it was taught to me by this guy: https://www.theoptimumdrive.com/#new-page ) What can I say, I got long legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by / / / M3 View Post
I am also 6'2. Having sat in a couple G80's with bucket seats, I wouldn't say that the bucket seats are THAT hard to get in an out of. But there is no way to do it without forcefully rubbing against the side bolster, which I imagine would get worn out in a fairly short order.

Yeah, depends on how you've got the seat set up. Are they impossible? No. But it is simply not possible for me to get in the buckets without a) rubbing both the wheel and the bolster while getting in or b) pushing the seat all the way back and also adjusting the wheel forward to get in the car.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:55 PM   #12
BryanCO
Captain
Rep

At risk of further turning this into a carbon bucket thread…. I have zero issue with the B pillar in terms of entry or exiting in my M3 with the buckets.

Every car I own, roll the seat back when exiting (not quite all the way on the M3). For the M3, I use the sill and steering wheel for entry and exit.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #13
TheMediumLebowski
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '24 GT3, '23 GT4, '22 M5C

Garage List
Consider a 991.2 GT3. They don't catch fire.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #14
BryanCO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMediumLebowski View Post
Consider a 991.2 GT3. They don't catch fire.
The early (2014) 991.1’s had the rod bolt stop sale and were all corrected. Not aware of any other years or versions which tended to catch fire.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:02 AM   #15
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
I’ve owned both and prefer the M4. The M3 has more wind noise than the M4 with the way the rear fender arches flare and you feel higher in the car even though you’re not. (Probably from the door/window layout between the coupe and the sedan) I’m guessing the M4 is more aerodynamic too for high speed driving just based on its shape but you’d have to confirm official CdA with BMW.

They’re both amazing models so it depends on what you’re looking for really…practical sedan or GT coupe.
      Today, 11:28 AM   #16
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
I think they drive very similar. It really comes down to do you want 4 doors or 2? My son is grown and moved out. It’s just me and my wife so 2 doors is better for me especially being a bigger guy. If you have kids the 4 door probably makes more sense.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:42 PM   #17
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

They are basically identical other than cosmetics, doors, seating position, visibility, and 20 pounds or less.
Appreciate 0