home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

10-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #265
frank70
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp. iX M60 on order

I am winter ready as of today.

Received my 826M Jetblack wheels with 275/35-19 front and 285/30-20 Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 winter tires.

Total cost (in Germany) EUR 3700,- incl. 19% VAT, which is about 250,- EUR more than the OEM 829M with 275/35-19 Pilot Alpin 5 on all 4 wheels would have cost.

I originally ordered my car with 826M jetblack but later changed to the 826M bicolor, so now i have both 826M versions for the car. I am still undecided which one i like the most....

I also think that cost wise this is likely one of the cheapest options, considering the likely resale value of the OEM 826 wheels in a couple of years.

I think in a number of years i will likely keep the jetblack ones with the winter tires for the car and sell the 826M in Bicolors second hand, as the Bicolors as parts are much more expensive than the Jetblack ones. A set of Bicolor rims costs about 3700 Euro compared to 2100 Euro for the Jetblack ones as parts.

So i think that in a couple of years i will likely get around 2500 Euro back for my used 826M bicolor wheels with worn tires, so cost-wise i think this is likely a good idea.

Last edited by frank70; 10-19-2021 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
barryc3651956.00
      10-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #266
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
I normally avoid BMW wheels as aftermarket, but I agree the pricing on the black 826M is a no brainer. It's the same or less than many of the options TireRack has. And these are forged wheels and extremely light.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #267
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
For reference on the 829M's

"The winter wheel 829M is a cast wheel."

Sourced here: https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...ms-wheels.html
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #268
jadis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkdog View Post
Think I found a better center cap solution. Figured out I can remove the MSW emblem (it was just stuck on with 2-sided foam tape) and I ordered some 58mm stick-on genuine BMW emblems (part 36131181081) that should fit near-perfectly. The MSW emblems are tin, so don’t plan on reusing them after you’ve removed them.
Did you see my post earlier in this thread? Unsure the size of your MSW center caps, but the solution I came up with is 100%, the BME emblem literally snaps in perfectly and it looks like its OEM.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 02:44 PM   #269
Hawkdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Did you see my post earlier in this thread? Unsure the size of your MSW center caps, but the solution I came up with is 100%, the BME emblem literally snaps in perfectly and it looks like its OEM.
Lol, nope, missed it. Which part # are the emblems you used? When you say it snaps in, where is it latching on to? The 1 cm hole in the center of the cap?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:26 PM   #270
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Curious if anybody has considered going with the Michelin pilot sport all season 4 and ditching summer tires completely. Have never had them but could they be very close to summer tires, with low temp and light snow performance, considering the hassle of switching wheels twice a year for milder climates?

I have been using Pirelli Sottozero II with my M5 from late November to March and where I live in Tennessee we may have 2-3 snow days. I really dislike how it drives with them for so many months. But at the same time we have a lot of days where temps are under 40s, even teens, and summer tires are like riding on bricks until they warm up - really unsafe. So considering the all seasons to avoid switching but no clue how they will feel for the new M3 xDrive I am supposed to be finally getting in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #271
par__m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav View Post
Curious if anybody has considered going with the Michelin pilot sport all season 4 and ditching summer tires completely. Have never had them but could they be very close to summer tires, with low temp and light snow performance, considering the hassle of switching wheels twice a year for milder climates?

I have been using Pirelli Sottozero II with my M5 from late November to March and where I live in Tennessee we may have 2-3 snow days. I really dislike how it drives with them for so many months. But at the same time we have a lot of days where temps are under 40s, even teens, and summer tires are like riding on bricks until they warm up - really unsafe. So considering the all seasons to avoid switching but no clue how they will feel for the new M3 xDrive I am supposed to be finally getting in the next few days.

Probably worth considering for milder climates.

Personally, I would still want to run a proper summer time in summer tire weather.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:10 PM   #272
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Curious if anybody has considered going with the Michelin pilot sport all season 4 and ditching summer tires completely. Have never had them but could they be very close to summer tires, with low temp and light snow performance, considering the hassle of switching wheels twice a year for milder climates.
There is no better feeling than the springtime ritual of swapping out squishy winters for summers.

I can't imagine having to live with half-winters year round.
JTO245276.00
      10-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #273
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by par_m3 View Post
Quote:

Probably worth considering for milder climates.

Personally, I would still want to run a proper summer time in summer tire weather.
Thanks! I had seen that same video which made me think of this. And I believe the C8 comes with these specific tires from factory?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #274
par__m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 G80 6MT

Quote:
Thanks! I had seen that same video which made me think of this. And I believe the C8 comes with these specific tires from factory?
Yes, for the non performance package (Z51) versions, I believe it comes standard with the all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 10:12 AM   #275
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
Quote:
Curious if anybody has considered going with the Michelin pilot sport all season 4 and ditching summer tires completely. Have never had them but could they be very close to summer tires, with low temp and light snow performance, considering the hassle of switching wheels twice a year for milder climates.
There is no better feeling than the springtime ritual of swapping out squishy winters for summers.

I can't imagine having to live with half-winters year round.
Yes I understand. But at the same time we have to live with squishy winters for almost half the year.

The other thing I am considering is using these all season as winter and then switching to summers. This way instead of months of squishy I will have months of half squishy winters

Just didn't know if anybody has tried these with the m3/m4 and any impressions.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #276
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Yes I understand. But at the same time we have to live with squishy winters for almost half the year.

The other thing I am considering is using these all season as winter and then switching to summers. This way instead of months of squishy I will have months of half squishy winters

Depends on your climate I guess.

All seasons aren't going to do much for you in real snow. But if you're in a place that gets chilly but doesn't see much snow, then maybe that would work.

Summers are actually usable in colder temps if the roads are dry, but get dicey if there is any kind of moisture on the road.
      10-20-2021, 11:33 AM   #277
BeamerBoomer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

Received my 826M Jetblack wheels with 275/35-19 front and 285/30-20 Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 winter tires.

Total cost (in Germany) EUR 3700,- incl. 19% VAT, which is about 250,- EUR more than the OEM 829M with 275/35-19 Pilot Alpin 5 on all 4 wheels would have cost.

I originally ordered my car with 826M jetblack but later changed to the 826M bicolor, so now i have both 826M versions for the car. I am still undecided which one i like the most....

I also think that cost wise this is likely one of the cheapest options, considering the likely resale value of the OEM 826 wheels in a couple of years.

I think in a number of years i will likely keep the jetblack ones with the winter tires for the car and sell the 826M in Bicolors second hand, as the Bicolors as parts are much more expensive than the Jetblack ones. A set of Bicolor rims costs about 3700 Euro compared to 2100 Euro for the Jetblack ones as parts.

So i think that in a couple of years i will likely get around 2500 Euro back for my used 826M bicolor wheels with worn tires, so cost-wise i think this is likely a good idea.
Do you guys actually consider that those performance summer wheels might be not a good choice to use during harsh winter conditions? I learned my lessons once when I used summer alloys with winter rims. After two seasons with ice, snow and especially salt, they looked like crap and surfaces were corroded all over. So this time I go with the OEM winter set where I assume surface finish is proven for such conditions.
      10-20-2021, 06:50 PM   #278
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

While not exactly performance summer wheels, I ran 740M rims for 3 northern Michigan winters on our G05 X5, and all four rims looked good as new when I traded in the vehicle last weekend.

Frequent washes, especially in winter, probably kept corrosion at bay. I applied ceramic coating to the faces and sealant to the barrels, mainly for ease of cleaning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 07:29 PM   #279
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Quote:

I put a set of these on my C8/Z51 and could not have been happier! I'm in Wisconsin and as soon as my M4CX show up it's getting a set of these installed and I'll sell the OEM tires... They're plenty good in snow and if I need to travel in a snow storm I'll take the X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #280
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycoral View Post
Quote:

I put a set of these on my C8/Z51 and could not have been happier! I'm in Wisconsin and as soon as my M4CX show up it's getting a set of these installed and I'll sell the OEM tires... They're plenty good in snow and if I need to travel in a snow storm I'll take the X5.
Pretty funny - we have an X5 too. I appreciate the feedback. Will definitely try them out. Last thing I am considering is if I would upsize to 285/35 19 front and 305/30 20 rear in the run flat version which is what the c8 I believe has - is that what you got too?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #281
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Quote:

Hey that's great and congrats!

Can I ask where your for the 826M wheels and winter tires? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, I can't find 285/30-20 Michelin Pilot Alpin 5's anywhere; even on the Michelin site?
      10-21-2021, 02:40 AM   #282
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
Quote:

EDIT: Also, I can't find 285/30-20 Michelin Pilot Alpin 5's anywhere; even on the Michelin site?
I don't think they make the stock rear size in alpine 5. 275/35/19 for the front are available. You could run alpine 4 in the rear. Only thing else I can find is sottozerro's in stock sizing.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:48 AM   #283
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
Quote:

I don't think they make the stock rear size in alpine 5. 275/35/19 for the front are available. You could run alpine 4 in the rear. Only thing else I can find is sottozerro's in stock sizing.
Right, that's my understanding as well, and why I asked the guy at the top of this page what he's talking about.
      10-21-2021, 11:10 AM   #284
frank70
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp. iX M60 on order

I do not know about availability in the USA but in Europe we can get the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 tires also in 285/30-20 size. The only thing here is that you can not get it in the * marked BMW version. The front axle 275/35-19 are only available in a * marked BMW version but not in the generic unmarked version.

There is a slight difference in the profile of both versions, but it should not be a problem to combine them. It will at least not be a issue for my RWD only G80 competition.

I will try to post a picture tomorrow that shows the difference in profile between the 2 versions of the Alpin 5 tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #285
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Tire Rack didn't have the * Alpin 5s that I saw. Not in the 19" wheel size at any rate.

Has anybody purchased the * Alpin 5s? I figured I don't really plan on driving the car super hard during the wintertime anyway so I don't need the extra performance the * compounds may bring.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:35 PM   #286
B58SP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i SOLD

Feel like this slowly evolved into a winter wheel thread more than a winter tire thread. I will be using Pirrelli Sottozero's on my rwd with 18/19 oem wheels. Will report once it starts snowing around here
Appreciate 1
Medal483.00