Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Toyota Afraid of Being Number 1

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...eek+exclusives

It seems Toyota is afraid of backlash from Americans who stand by their vehicles. Also Toyota is hoping to take over the pickup truck section. Which Ford has reigned for many years.

Truthfully I feel Toyota is an ok company. I have driven Toyota's, Nothing special but then again they aren't suppose to be I guess. It seems with the new Tundra coming out they will fully be taking over the market.

I feel one great point to make is how in Japan imported vehicles like American cars are very expensive due to fees and such. Maybe Japan should play fair just as America has. Although it would not open up American companies to a huge profit it still would be good.

Last edited by DasBlitz; 02-25-2007 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post

It seems Toyota is afraid of backlash from Americans who stand by their vehicles. Also Toyota is hoping to take over the pickup truck section. Which Ford has reigned for many years.

Truthfully I feel Toyota is an ok company. I have driven Toyota's, Nothing special but then again they aren't suppose to be I guess. It seems with the new Tacoma coming out they will fully be taking over the market.

I feel one great point to make is how in Japan imported vehicles like American cars are very expensive due to fees and such. Maybe Japan should play fair just as America has. Although it would not open up American companies to a huge profit it still would be good.
you mean.....the Tundra?
      02-25-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

seems the only thing Toyota can't do the best is the sport sedan

thank god for BMW. otherwise every fuckin car on teh road would be a ToYoTa
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 02:07 AM   #4
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Business week link is now up. And yes I did mean Tundra not Tacoma. As you can see i don't keep up on Toyota.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
enwhykiid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 titanium 330XI

i feel that toyota is an excellent company and really reaching its pottential, but the only thing i dont like about them is their family oriented cars, they really need to bring back the supra and introduce a few sporty vehicles
      02-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Toyota has been and is a great car manufacturer. Their focus on quality, fit and finish is a complement to savvy consumers who demand more than just exterior looks. This brings up one issue I have. Other than their line of trucks, I haven't been much impressed with the styling of Toyota cars lately. The 2000GT and last gen Supra were amazing. The Yaris? The xA (Scion)? The Prius? Even the base Camry? *Yawn*
      02-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman View Post
Toyota has been and is a great car manufacturer. Their focus on quality, fit and finish is a complement to savvy consumers who demand more than just exterior looks. This brings up one issue I have. Other than their line of trucks, I haven't been much impressed with the styling of Toyota cars lately. The 2000GT and last gen Supra were amazing. The Yaris? The xA (Scion)? The Prius? Even the base Camry? *Yawn*
That is a huge issue I have as well. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think the American manufacturers have done a better job but they do look somewhat better in many cases. For me I want some styling, some curves etc. I don't want a plain car just because it can go for 200,000 miles. That may be fine for some people, but I am the type that loves to have fun and just needs more from a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
Had a Toyota a couple of times throughout my life. The Japanese and Germans have always produced top notch vehicles representing manufacturer care, attention to detail, and quality. Our fellow American auto makers are finally starting to take action on a few of their products...but they're just not fast enough. For reliability and quality, we still have to go with European/Japanese. Don't think Toyota is afraid of being number one....it's the Japanese government that won't allow imports without a heavy tax. It's called economic bargaining. They sell, we buy...we don't accept your vehicles in here unless they're heavily taxed, thus they buy their local cars. They win on both accounts. Smart especially since they've been getting away with it for so long. Besides...they know it's better quality. Why buy something that's not and have to pay more for it.
      02-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Umm..most Toyotas sold in the US are made in the US. They are for all intents and purposes American cars. I think the Corolla, RAV4 and Yaris may be imported either from Canada or somewhere else but the Camry and its variants and all the big trucks/SUVs are made here (mainly because who else would buy them ).

They are made here by American workers.

My 96 Dodge Ram on the other hand was made in Mexico by (I assume) Mexicans.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #10
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
Umm..most Toyotas sold in the US are made in the US. They are for all intents and purposes American cars. I think the Corolla, RAV4 and Yaris may be imported either from Canada or somewhere else but the Camry and its variants and all the big trucks/SUVs are made here (mainly because who else would buy them ).

They are made here by American workers.

My 96 Dodge Ram on the other hand was made in Mexico by (I assume) Mexicans.
That is true. But there could easily be other taxes put on them which would counteract with the Japanese governments taxes. Merely stating the Japanese are smart and can get away with it.

Also that brings up one good point. The reason for Ford and GMC being in such a big loss. Is due to health care. Toyota does not give the benefits or pay as much as the American automakers do. They also don't deal with unions. Now one could say again this is smart. But at the same time that means the American automakers are helping their workers more than the Japanese automakers.

One thing I see that is always scary about being number 1 is the ultimate downfall that will eventually come. How is Toyota any different than Ford? Who was on top and now is next to nothing. They aren't therefore their time on time is limited in my eyes.

But hopefully the American automakers stick around for awhile. Although they are not doing well it is still competition and competition is always good.
      02-25-2007, 10:51 PM   #11
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

It is indeed very reliable car but as far as style is concerned, not so great IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 11:10 PM   #12
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Is it just me, or is the article dated March 5, 2007????
Appreciate 0