BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-10-2021, 04:40 AM   #23
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

*doublepost*

Last edited by Scorp!on; 01-10-2021 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: doublepost
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 04:42 AM   #24
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

I understand that people can't take my "review" somehow serious because of the car I own, but just to say that doesn't mean I have never driven a performance car.
I drove several times the N55 (in a tuned stage as well with over 440bhp) and the B58 which are cars owned by friends of mine. So I at least have this as reference, altough it's a couple of months ago. And did you drive the Giulia QV?
Don't think anyone can say this car has no power.

Of course i'm not an F80 owner and would be better if someone who owns one compares them. I just wanted to share my impression with the car and I absoloutely love it. Push the throttle and you get pressed in the seat. Breaking power is awesome, cornering is awesome. I tried to write down what I felt what in my opinion is important like stiffness, comfort and most important CONTROL of the car.

I got absoloutely blown away by the power of the car, for sure one who drives a 911 GT2RS thinks "meh" when sitting in an M3/M4.

I smiled, all the time. That's what I wanted and I got it. I hope you guys can get a ride soon and share your impressions, very interested in reading different opinions!

p.s.
there was a question about CF Trim and Portimao Blue:
In person it looks stunning! I go for the CF Package, interior and exteriror. Also in the interior it matches very well with the black interior.
And Portimao Blue fits this car veeeeery good. In the show room was also a SPY M4, I liked the Blue much more on this car.

and p.p.s.

Consider that impressions are always subjective.
I am not a professional car reviewer, I just thought you guys might be interested to read a first feeling from a forum member, didn't want to trigger anyone
Appreciate 14
VIERsr2620.50
bm323193.50
Dzo76.00
EXE462097.00
xlover2191.00
solstice5456.50
Dr.Deep1827.00
Vervain396.50
heavyD^23684.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
M2Crew219.00
      01-10-2021, 04:47 AM   #25
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Nice pics and write up. Thanks. Any pics of it outside in the sunlight or maybe from the side?

So there is an actual physical button to turn off the active sound? Or is it in the electronic menu's somewhere?

I'd love to see how PB looks with the 825 bicolor wheels.
Sorry this are all I made, we were only allowed to make pics before the ride and hat to give them our mobile phone while driving

And yes there is a physical button on the dash near the gear knob.
Go in sports plus and the valve is open, push the button and inside the car sound forced from the speakers is turned off.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 05:13 AM   #26
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Also, it is difficult to feel the true behavior of a car when you drive it with winter tires and the outside temperature is below 0° C, in spring with summer tires it would be another car, especially for steering feel, traction and cornering grip.
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1510.00
      01-10-2021, 07:36 AM   #27
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
Sorry this are all I made, we were only allowed to make pics before the ride and hat to give them our mobile phone while driving

Go in sports plus and the valve is open, push the button and inside the car sound forced from the speakers is turned off.
Thanks. That seems kind of dumb to me that they have an actual physical button because I feel like most people would just want it on or off all the time. Seems odd to waste space with a button just for that. I turned it off pretty quickly on my last car. I initially thought that I was really hearing the engine as other people were hearing it outside the car. Turns out it was fake news and all in my head.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #28
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:

Thanks. That seems kind of dumb to me that they have an actual physical button because I feel like most people would just want it on or off all the time. Seems odd to waste space with a button just for that. I turned it off pretty quickly on my last car. I initially thought that I was really hearing the engine as other people were hearing it outside the car. Turns out it was fake news and all in my head.
On my X3M I find it handy for my dogs. They don't like a loud exhaust and hitting the button quiets everything down. I will say though that if you run it in quiet mode it sounds very anemic.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #29
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Thanks for the writeup and the photos. PB looks good in the metallic finish of this one. Can you comment at all on the M buttons on the steering wheel, what can be configured to these buttons? Are there certain mode packages you have to pick and it does several changes, or can you fully configure it so that one button does your specific throttle, steering, suspension, etc each to your preferred level.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #30
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
On my X3M I find it handy for my dogs. They don't like a loud exhaust and hitting the button quiets everything down. I will say though that if you run it in quiet mode it sounds very anemic.
It was more that I don't see the point of it. When I got my first M4 with it I didn't really know about it. I'm driving around thinking I have this sexy sounding engine and looking at the people I'm driving by thinking, "Wow, you all hear how great my car sounds? That's right." Turns out that sound is really just all in the cabin so essentially it was all in my head. Sure the engine sounds decent outside, but not as good as I was thinking people were hearing as I sat in the car hearing the false version of it. I could see turning it on if I wanted to impress someone that got into my car for a ride which isn't very often. I promptly programmed the sound off and never looked back.
Appreciate 1
zamboni1124.50
      01-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #31
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
My G82 M4 driving impressions

you can always code ASD off easily, as for valves open/closed that's something I feel a button is appropriate for an M car
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #32
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
you can always code ASD off easily, as for valves open/closed that's something I feel a button is appropriate for an M car
Sure, if you can change the sounds of the actual exhaust then it sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #33
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Thanks for the writeup and the photos. PB looks good in the metallic finish of this one. Can you comment at all on the M buttons on the steering wheel, what can be configured to these buttons? Are there certain mode packages you have to pick and it does several changes, or can you fully configure it so that one button does your specific throttle, steering, suspension, etc each to your preferred level.
oh sure.
The one I drove for instance was on M1 everything in comfort and M2 everything in sports/sport plus

you can individually set how you like it.
- Engine
- Suspension
- Brake response
- and something else, I forgot sorry

anway, you can set for example engine to sport and the rest to comfort and save it to M1 or M2. Everything how you like the best. You can push the buttons when you are driving so it instantly switches to the mode. I tried it several times...when we passed a village i put M1 with all comfort, going outside on curvy roads i pushed M2 and everything was on the max. setting. Funny and i'm sure I will use them a lot !
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2021, 04:23 PM   #34
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
You could drive my F87 to have a closer benchmark, I saw you but maybe you didn't see me
Btw, blue + cf fiber is AMAZING.
was it you with another guy standing at the gate when I drove out with the car?

and drive the F87 is an awesome offer from you, would love to do it !!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #35
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Was this a special treat for you due to your relationship with the center or was it an open invitation that people lined up for?

Q: How was the cabin noise level vs. your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #36
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Was this a special treat for you due to your relationship with the center or was it an open invitation that people lined up for?

Q: How was the cabin noise level vs. your car?
Driving Experience is only on invitation which your BMW Dealer has to take care off. My Dealer told me that there is the possibility to test drive the car and if I want to do it. He then offered me several dates and times and I choose the Saturday from 13:00 to 15:00. So these 2hrs were reserved for me..Introduction, explenation of the car, procedure, contract (crash case, driving licence copy etc.) and the drive itself was about 1 hour.

To your question:
when turned off the exhaust noise it was very good. Very calm, couldn't really hear the tyres and outside noises. So basically what you expect from a BMW
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      01-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #37
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Driving Experience is only on invitation which your BMW Dealer has to take care off. My Dealer told me that there is the possibility to test drive the car and if I want to do it. He then offered me several dates and times and I choose the Saturday from 13:00 to 15:00. So these 2hrs were reserved for me..Introduction, explenation of the car, procedure, contract (crash case, driving licence copy etc.) and the drive itself was about 1 hour.

To your question:
when turned off the exhaust noise it was very good. Very calm, couldn't really hear the tyres and outside noises. So basically what you expect from a BMW
Wow, an hour test drive that is awesome service! BMW NA are you reading this

As for expecting low cabin noise in an M3, it’s not really been the case, especially not the F8X. It has significantly higher tire roar than most luxury cars in its segment. And when people say the F8X become a better street and track car I don’t fully agree with that. Track car yes, street nah, unless you find it cumbersome to change gears and want to ride TQ all day..
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1510.00
EXE462097.00
      01-10-2021, 05:09 PM   #38
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
was it you with another guy standing at the gate when I drove out with the car?

and drive the F87 is an awesome offer from you, would love to do it !!
Nop, I saw those 2 guys in front of the garage during your briefing with the M4, I was alone in my car keeping warm
There were 3 M2, mine was the one Hockenheim silver with Italian plate.
For driving my M2, whenever you want
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #39
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Wow, an hour test drive that is awesome service! BMW NA are you reading this

As for expecting low cabin noise in an M3, it’s not really been the case, especially not the F8X. It has significantly higher tire roar than most luxury cars in its segment. And when people say the F8X become a better street and track car I don’t fully agree with that. Track car yes, street nah, unless you find it cumbersome to change gears and want to ride TQ all day..
To be fair, they told me they have like 3 driving experience center world wide, you don't even get this at BMW Welt München
So it is a special thing and I understood how extremely great it is to have something like this here 5 Min. from my home ! Lucky I guess..

really?
Like said I can't compare with an F80...but I didn't find it noisy at all. My F31 is very quiet and the M4 at least was on the same level (even though the engine of course is way louder of course).
For me it was very comfortable and asking my brother who drove with me he said the same.

VIERsr
Sure ! I will write you a PN tomorrow ! thank you !!!
And when I saw the car with the italian plate I was SURE it was you
Appreciate 3
EXE462097.00
solstice5456.50
VIERsr2620.50
      01-10-2021, 10:09 PM   #40
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
oh sure.
The one I drove for instance was on M1 everything in comfort and M2 everything in sports/sport plus

- Engine
- Suspension
- Brake response

anway, you can set for example engine to sport and the rest to comfort and save it to M1 or M2. Everything how you like the best. You can push the buttons when you are driving so it instantly switches to the mode. I tried it several times...when we passed a village i put M1 with all comfort, going outside on curvy roads i pushed M2 and everything was on the max. setting. Funny and i'm sure I will use them a lot !
Good stuff, that what I was expecting. Wish these buttons were available for the non-Ms too, maybe someday. Guessing the other configurable option is steering feel?
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1510.00
      01-10-2021, 11:39 PM   #41
safridi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2/2018 Focus RS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
oh sure.

- Engine
- Suspension
- Brake response

Good stuff, that what I was expecting. Wish these buttons were available for the non-Ms too, maybe someday. Guessing the other configurable option is steering feel?
Mann....im still rolling the dice on the "chub" factor....orders already in. 🤦*♂️
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:15 AM   #42
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I understand that people can't take my "review" somehow serious because of the car I own, but just to say that doesn't mean I have never driven a performance car.
I drove several times the N55 (in a tuned stage as well with over 440bhp) and the B58 which are cars owned by friends of mine. So I at least have this as reference, altough it's a couple of months ago. And did you drive the Giulia QV?
Don't think anyone can say this car has no power.

Of course i'm not an F80 owner and would be better if someone who owns one compares them. I just wanted to share my impression with the car and I absoloutely love it. Push the throttle and you get pressed in the seat. Breaking power is awesome, cornering is awesome. I tried to write down what I felt what in my opinion is important like stiffness, comfort and most important CONTROL of the car.

I got absoloutely blown away by the power of the car, for sure one who drives a 911 GT2RS thinks "meh" when sitting in an M3/M4.

I smiled, all the time. That's what I wanted and I got it. I hope you guys can get a ride soon and share your impressions, very interested in reading different opinions!

p.s.
there was a question about CF Trim and Portimao Blue:
In person it looks stunning! I go for the CF Package, interior and exteriror. Also in the interior it matches very well with the black interior.
And Portimao Blue fits this car veeeeery good. In the show room was also a SPY M4, I liked the Blue much more on this car.

and p.p.s.

Consider that impressions are always subjective.
I am not a professional car reviewer, I just thought you guys might be interested to read a first feeling from a forum member, didn't want to trigger anyone
I take your observation seriously but I needed a reference to certain aspects as when you say you can feel the increased weight. That doesn’t mean much unless I know what your reference is. It doesn’t need to be an F80, if I’ve driven your type of car which I have as a loaner (sedan version) it suddenly become tangible.

And an overall wow factor ALWAYS count

Last edited by solstice; 01-11-2021 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:58 AM   #43
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

antzcrashing

yes exactly, the last one was the steering!

solstice
I know what you mean. Of course the F31 is a lightweight compared to the G82...
In my opinion when daily driving this car you don't feel much of the weight, how could you to be honest. I felt it slightly in the corners. As it was a test drive on normal streets I couldn't use the car like on track but I just got the impression that if you move this car on the track you will feel the weight.
As they told me the increased weight comes from the additional struts on the car to improve the stiffness (had to use google translate on this, hope you understand).
So as I said, the car feels very stiff when cornering and I felt the car and the street, always being under control and that's what I personally want/need from a sports car.
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      01-11-2021, 01:12 AM   #44
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
antzcrashing

yes exactly, the last one was the steering!

solstice
I know what you mean. Of course the F31 is a lightweight compared to the G82...
In my opinion when daily driving this car you don't feel much of the weight, how could you to be honest. I felt it slightly in the corners. As it was a test drive on normal streets I couldn't use the car like on track but I just got the impression that if you move this car on the track you will feel the weight.
As they told me the increased weight comes from the additional struts on the car to improve the stiffness (had to use google translate on this, hope you understand).
So as I said, the car feels very stiff when cornering and I felt the car and the street, always being under control and that's what I personally want/need from a sports car.
Good observations and information here, great to hear significant efforts are made to stiffen the chassis. It was Senna’s gift to the NSX, he pretty much told them nicely that the car was sh*t when he first drove it. Honda stiffened it up 50% and the rest is history

Not good that you suspect the car will feel cumbersome on the track. That always translates back to the street, otherwise you wouldn’t have made that observation and comment. Though maybe it can just be exponential robustness, grip and stability vs your F31 you noticed. The front tires alone can make the car feel “heavy” at slow and moderate speeds, add the wide track and it’s no longer so sure what you felt is going to translate as mainly heaviness instead of stability at the track.

Last edited by solstice; 01-11-2021 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 0