BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-31-2020, 05:26 AM   #1
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I’ve decided not to order one - how about you?

I'm certain if people's reaction to the G80 has evolved quickly. Personally, I promised myself that I'd put my money where my mouth is.

I'm certain you can track my evolution in feelings for this car from vitriol when I first saw the spy shots to thinking I was going through the 5 stages of grief and temporarily coming to a place of understanding and acceptance of why the car looked the way it did back in July.

Since then, however, I have started to love the looks more and more and feel that this car's design, while still flawed, is exceptionally aggressive and dare I say different? So there I was, and before I knew it, I put down a deposit for the first allocation in line at my local dealer in September/October. I built out the car to be delivered in late January 2021.

Have to admit though, this tale sadly never ended in the love story I thought it would be. As details about G80 came out (or the lack thereof), I was somewhat dismayed. First hearing about the weight pushing 4000lbs was concerning. Then, the non-existent reviews regarding the car including exceptionally important details such as steering feel, exhaust note and overall driving appeal never materialized and was to my dismay.

Hate to say it, the ultimate nail in the coffin for me was the marketing. I definitely wrangled with the feelings that it didn't matter who bmw was marketing this car for and that as long as this car was amazing all would be good. But, at least for me, ultimately weighing an almost 90k proposition of "what ifs" of driving appeal/weight against the expectations and the assumptions that people should have with this car based on the marketing and branding was too big of a pill to swallow for me.

So, with regret, I cancelled my allocation. I've had a long standing relation with my client advisor at bmw and we both are enthusiastic about cars and through the years we've definitely gotten to know what we love about bmws. To segway quickly, when I was looking for an e90 m3 back in 2014, he helped me track down and buy a pristine used 2011.75 manual competition with 2k miles in Colorado sight unseen back and helped with the early lease return back in my state while the new car was transported to me. I have this car to this day and love it still!

Funnily enough, this time, when I called him to cancel, he didn't say he was surprised! I told him I'd revisit the situation after I saw and possible test drove the car (even if that would be in a few years based on demand). Interestingly, he said that it made sense to wait and unfortunately he didn't have enough sense regarding the particulars of the car to sway me in either direction.

I'm sure my allocation disappeared the moment it let it go! But there it is - thats my story as it stands currently.

So wanted your opinions - where you folks at with regards to the your G80 journey?
Appreciate 6
zamboni1124.50
LSM1118.00
Imola3323.50
GlNib0.00
      12-31-2020, 06:43 AM   #2
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

My G80 journey is stalled. I decided to go down this road for the modern tech and a manual, one of the few cars where you can go this route so that made up for the questions I had about the weight and how I'd feel long-term about the car's nose. I put a bunch of effort getting my non-enthusiast SO to support the cause (not financially, just verbally...).

And then my SA has been unable to get a manual allocation for me. He can't even get BMW to actually tell him "no", he just gets no response. They have allocations but BMW appears to not want to change them from Competitions.

I don't know what's up but it's killed my enthusiasm for the idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
My G80 journey is stalled. I decided to go down this road for the modern tech and a manual, one of the few cars where you can go this route so that made up for the questions I had about the weight and how I'd feel long-term about the car's nose. I put a bunch of effort getting my non-enthusiast SO to support the cause (not financially, just verbally...).

And then my SA has been unable to get a manual allocation for me. He can't even get BMW to actually tell him "no", he just gets no response. They have allocations but BMW appears to not want to change them from Competitions.

I don't know what's up but it's killed my enthusiasm for the idea.
So weird - I wish I had known - my allocation when I had it was definitely manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I'm waiting for (in order of importance):

1) My current lease to end (in 2022)
2) My own test drive impressions
3) Reviews to finally start coming out

Everything until #'s 2 and 3 is just noise. All the shitty marketing, all the forum talk, all the speculation... it's all just noise. At the end of the day if the car looks good to me in person and puts a smile on my face when I drive it, that's what ultimately matters.

I feel like there's way too much analysis paralysis going on for something which, to me at least, has always been an emotional purchase, not a rational one.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 12
JTO245246.50
EXE462097.00
solstice5456.50
VetteGuy845.50
t5pilot974.50
DAC17170.50
JDUNITNOW3453.00
AlexFL7833.00
khanyam4801.50
VIERsr2620.50
MmmmmM22578.00
      12-31-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post

Everything until #'s 2 and 3 is just noise. All the shitty marketing, all the forum talk, all the speculation... it's all just noise. At the end of the day if the car looks good to me in person and puts a smile on my face when I drive it, that's what ultimately matters.

I feel like there's way too much analysis paralysis going on for something which, to me at least, has always been an emotional purchase, not a rational one.
It's a lot of money to spend on a car that you're not desperately keen to get into. These type of purchases are emotional decisions. You wouldn't propose to just anyone and committing this much for a car you're not super keen on makes no sense.
Appreciate 2
KoenG1417.50
      12-31-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

I'd like to see one in real life to get a feel for the styling, and see how the reviews play out. I really 'want' to want one, I think if the styling was more traditional I would be more enthused. My lease isn't up for ages anyway but there could be a scenario where I need a 3rd car, plus it's always good to dream 😀
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 07:58 AM   #7
Dzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp. xDrive

I've placed an order but I can cancel it if I'm not satisfied with the test drive I should do in february.
I've never driven a M car so I'm more concerned about the comfort of the drive and how it feels in normal situation than about the weight.
Actually driving a X3M40i.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

OP, I think you made a rational & smart decision because if you get it and don't like it, it's hard (expensive) to undo. But if you wait until you see it & test drive it, you can always order one. I don't believe demand will be that high and you should be able to get one later in 2021 if you decide to

In my case I'm planning to order an AWD but I want to see the G80 in person and hopefully in a few different colors and wheel designs before I pull the trigger. If I decide in March/April I'm think I should still be able to get a summer production AWD. Maybe I'm too optimistic.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #9
rmmiii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 m3 competition

Garage List
On balance, yes

Ordered mine right before Xmas. Will show up in March. I saw the car in person at an m track event in the fall. I'm getting tanzanite blue to mitigate the grill "presence", but I'm over the grill enough to dive in.

I figure:
Covid sucks and a new toy would be nice next year.

Yes it weighs a lot but look around - new corvette is heavy, mustang gt350 is heavy, etc. how much is regulation versus engineering I know not.

Can't justify a cayman or a 911 or a corvette since I have teenage kids and they have friends.

I did test drive a Tesla performance 3 and I own a Tesla model x. Electric cars are close but they don't work on a track. Instant torque is really fun and the model 3 performance handles quite well for a heavy car - heavier than the new m3.

And,
My 15 m4 is fine but starting to age. I liked the 15 better than the '08 m3 coupe I had before that. Warts and all. I liked the '08 better than the '02. I liked the '02 better than the '98. I loved the '98 as it was my first Bmw and first m car.

In summary, I will track the '21 m3 a few times a year. I will shuttle kids and dogs and golf clubs and such a lot during the year. M3 still best vehicle for those things, I think.

7 years from now, I bet we are looking at a lot of electric options, including ones that are trackable. Call this my swan song of internal combustion daily driver plus the occasional hpde.
Appreciate 5
Transfer5244.00
solstice5456.50
Puuhapete145.00
AlexFL7833.00
khanyam4801.50
      12-31-2020, 08:22 AM   #10
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SP0RT View Post
OP, I think you made a rational & smart decision because if you get it and don't like it, it's hard (expensive) to undo. But if you wait until you see it & test drive it, you can always order one. I don't believe demand will be that high and you should be able to get one later in 2021 if you decide to

In my case I'm planning to order an AWD but I want to see the G80 in person and hopefully in a few different colors and wheel designs before I pull the trigger. If I decide in March/April I'm think I should still be able to get a summer production AWD. Maybe I'm too optimistic.
Actually - maybe I was lucky - my sa said if it came and I didn't like it he'd just refund me my deposit because he was so sure he could sell it. This was with the proviso that I didn't custom order a crazy individual color. However, I guess manual was still considered okay.

I just felt with my level of hesitation I wanted someone to have the allocation that was "dying" to have it and I'm happy to have done that. I'm just giving back in karma since there's definitely been times where people have bent over backwards to make life work for me
Appreciate 1
M3AWD3178.00
      12-31-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Picked up my F92 last night.

Originally, I was set on a G8x. I have seen it in person a couple of times now, love the interior, am fairly happy with the exterior, and just a tad annoyed I couldn't get AWD at launch, but I have zero issues with RWD + winter tires on the F80 so I figured I might as well go ahead and pull the trigger. I had my name softly attached to a G80 with a small discount via a handshake (well, elbow bump) with a small-volume dealer. Timing was looking great since my F80 lease was ending in March. I would read updates on the forums daily and basically just reassure myself I made the right choice and selected the right options.

My decision to jump ship and head up to the M8 was largely due to:

1. Cost/Value - While I think the pricing for this gen compared to a previous gen is actually a bit better when you compare options to options (a loaded F80 to a G80 with the minimal options you would have to add to get you there). I couldn't help but want to load it up well over 90k because of the nice to have stuff. This didn't really bother me because I'm glad they made those options available, but once the [expected] lower residuals were announced combined with the lack of a decent discount, actual payment numbers were more concrete. My build was coming to around $1267/month with just first payment and fees DAS, I was in M5 territory... so I started to look there. Ultimately I decided on the M8 since the discounts were ridiculous, which made a lease cheaper than what I was looking at in the M5.

2. Comfort/Ride - Obviously the G80 and F92 are completely different cars in terms of comfort, luxury, and performance, but I daily my F80, so comfort is pretty damn important. My normal commute includes a drive through a rock cut to drop the little one off at school, a quick 10 miles on the highway from her school to get to work, then 2 miles through the city to get back home, perfect for the F80. Really, I was fine up until the beginning of November, which happened to be when the residuals for the G80 were announced, but also when my X7 had to go in for repair which is my main highway duty car. Again, a completely different car, but after spending 3 weeks exclusively in the F80 with a few longer (~2 hr round trip) drives where I would have normally taken the X7, I was forced to realize the F80 isn't the all around car I always thought it was. I have taken the F80 on many long drives before, but they were because I wanted to, not because I had to, so the feeling of the drive is totally different from a mental standpoint. Driving the F80 on a longer trip out of necessity is just a bit annoying, you have the itch that makes you seem to want to push the car a bit more even though you'd really rather relax, you have the drone, road noise, etc. Again, this pushed me to test drive the M5, where all those annoyances went away but it was still very direct. Of course, it's at the expense of more numbness/insolation from what's going on with the car, but it's certainly still an M car in many aspects. I have said it before, but everything I love about the F80 causes everything I hate about the F80. I'm sure the G80 will be better in regard to comfort and road noise, to a fault for many, but why chance it when I'm not 100% on the looks, and can get an F9x for the same payment?

3. Presence/Appearance/Maturity - No, I'm not talking about the grilles, but more what the F80 has become over the years. I suppose this is true with most moderately produced performance cars, once they're out for 3 years or so, you could get a second hand car at a steep discount, making it more affordable for many who start to buy them cheap and mod the crap out of them. I'm definitely not against tasteful mods in both cosmetic and performance aspects, but half the F8x I see on the road anymore go way beyond that. The attention I get now vs 3+ years ago in the F80 is from a far different crowd. The assumption that I want to race everyone on public roads has certainly grown over the years as well. Where I used to just get the respectful nod or thumbs up a vast majority of the time, I now get excessive revving, people cutting others off to try to provoke me, etc (and my only visible mods are painted reflectors, a light tint, and HAS). I'm sure the G80 will be different at first, though the M performance parts catalog might suggest otherwise...

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 12-31-2020 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 4
EXE462097.00
zamboni1124.50
PLF693762.50
SCS55291.00
      12-31-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post

Amen!! same boat as you my man. We are in a good position since by the time our lease ends in summer 2022, the second MY M3's should be rolling out. I don't want another early build car anymore, learned my lesson with the M340i.

I need something more hard edge than the M340i too and thus the M3 is the best likely option. There's nothing else out there at a similar price point and class except the upcoming Caddy and the Alfa Quad, both of which are non starters for me. Mercedes/Audi are non factors and are even less of a driver's car than any similar M car and sure won't be lighter or cheaper lol.

If I test drive it and it meets my expectations that's all that matters. Reviews are subjective and often times are mired in personal bias. I am buying the car for me, not my spouse or some random wanker and thus only my opinion matters in the end since it's my money lol.

Last edited by EXE46; 12-31-2020 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 3
wtwo317880.50
VetteGuy845.50
      12-31-2020, 10:09 AM   #13
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Yup, me too. My current F80 lease is done. I'm dropping it off in the next few weeks... and walking away. BMW isn't offering any of the $3-5k invectives they were giving earlier this year to keep the car, and the residuals on the new ones suck. So, goodbye for now BMW! I'll push that payment money into investments, and take another look later this year when the "hype" dies down, residuals are decent, and I can actually see it in person, see some reviews, and hear more from the early buyers.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      12-31-2020, 10:57 AM   #14
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW G80 IOMG M3 MANUAL

Thank you to the OP of this thread for posting this. I signed up just now to the forum just to reply to the message as I've been struggling the same as many with this car.

I have been following this car and this forum for months on end now just like many trying to gain perspective and information into the new M3. Unfortunately I have been struggling to find the true passion in the car like I and many that are BMW enthusiast. I want the latest tech and a manual which this car provides but the lack of real world reviews and information has been extremely irritating. Also the looks of the car which have been beaten to death have weighed on me as I have yet to have an opportunity to see the car live to make my own interpretation.

I am first in line at a dealer to receive there acquisition but it's an auto and I want a manual. I'm also in line at another dealer with the opportunity to get a manual and spec it the way I want but have to put a non refundable deposit down to hold. It's the cheaper of the 2 cars but like many have said I'm hesitant to drop this kind of money that I am trying to justify my purchase on with no real world information. Basically buying it blind. I'm kind of getting to crunch time as life situations are determining my timing and I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to buy if it comes out the car is amazing. ARGHHH! LOL!

Like others have also mentioned I talked with my dealer about the lease rates and they are horrible which is expected I guess a little but man just another thing to put in the equation with buying an early acquisition.

My other issue is I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to cars. I like the M5, the M550i, the F80 M3, the Alfa Guilia and Stelvio, the X3M and a couple others that sprinkle in from time to time. Lol! All have there pros and cons to me and I've driven all of them. I think the big thing is I want a manual and as all of you know there are not many options out there and the old F80 is starting to date a little and it reminds me so much of my 340i that it doesn't move the needle enough but I'm still considering it although there way overpriced I think right now since last May time frame. The new G80 has the tech and modernization the Alfa's so lack. I love the Alfa's but I worry I would stale of the interior quickly.

So after seeing this post I may just hold off on the one build and wait for my dealer to get there's which he says should be sometime in early to mid January as long as BMW doesn't hold them at port. It's the least desirable build but I guess what's another few weeks right? We've all waited so long it just needs to happen. Come on BMW what are you waiting for?
Appreciate 1
zamboni1124.50
      12-31-2020, 11:13 AM   #15
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

I wont do anything before every model isnt out ( AWD, Wagon,...), before plenty of reviews, and before i test drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 07:36 PM   #16
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
1. Cost/Value - While I think the pricing for this gen compared to a previous gen is actually a bit better when you compare options to options (a loaded F80 to a G80 with the minimal options you would have to add to get you there). I couldn't help but want to load it up well over 90k because of the nice to have stuff. This didn't really bother me because I'm glad they made those options available, but once the [expected] lower residuals were announced combined with the lack of a decent discount, actual payment numbers were more concrete. My build was coming to around $1267/month with just first payment and fees DAS, I was in M5 territory... so I started to look there. Ultimately I decided on the M8 since the discounts were ridiculous, which made a lease cheaper than what I was looking at in the M5.
If I may ask, what are your lease payments on the M8?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 07:38 PM   #17
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I have been similarly frustrated. But ultimately this is an emotional purchase. I have to love the car. I certainly don't NEED an M3. I can't say that I love this car and I'm not waiting to get used to it. I don't hate the new grill but I also don't think it looks that great. I loved the F80 from the second I saw it and wish I would have purchased one. At this point I have decided against the G80. I love the F87 and that's what I will get. Or a Cayman or 911. I love all these cars period. That's how it should have been with the G80/G82. I guess BMW will still have tons of buyers for these cars but I won't be one of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 09:49 PM   #18
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual View Post
PM'd you.
Jmpascual687.50
      12-31-2020, 10:57 PM   #19
Racerbryan11
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
What is the lease payment on a M8
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 02:39 AM   #20
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
I have been similarly frustrated. But ultimately this is an emotional purchase. I have to love the car. I certainly don't NEED an M3. I can't say that I love this car and I'm not waiting to get used to it. I don't hate the new grill but I also don't think it looks that great. I loved the F80 from the second I saw it and wish I would have purchased one. At this point I have decided against the G80. I love the F87 and that's what I will get. Or a Cayman or 911. I love all these cars period. That's how it should have been with the G80/G82. I guess BMW will still have tons of buyers for these cars but I won't be one of them.
That's exactly how I felt about the G80. Need to love a car to buy one at this price. There are other machines out their pulling the heart strings. For me it was the F87 CS - my first non 3 series in the last 4 vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 08:37 AM   #21
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbryan11 View Post
What is the lease payment on a M8
There's a huge delta between a stripper base car and a loaded competition vert, so figure you're looking at somewhere between $1,1xx and $1,5xx or so a month. Pickings are getting slim, but Dec programs had $10-12k in flagship cash working for you, so combined with dealer contribution, you were looking at a 18-25% discount (higher discounts on convertibles and demos, coupes would be at the lower end), plus another $3k in loyalty.

You could browse through some more specific deals here (start with July or so), I posted the initial offer given to me by a dealer when I just subtlety mentioned interest at some point:

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1665671&page=7
      01-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #22
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmiii View Post
Ordered mine right before Xmas. Will show up in March. I saw the car in person at an m track event in the fall. I'm getting tanzanite blue to mitigate the grill "presence", but I'm over the grill enough to dive in.

I figure:
Covid sucks and a new toy would be nice next year.

Yes it weighs a lot but look around - new corvette is heavy, mustang gt350 is heavy, etc. how much is regulation versus engineering I know not.

Can't justify a cayman or a 911 or a corvette since I have teenage kids and they have friends.

I did test drive a Tesla performance 3 and I own a Tesla model x. Electric cars are close but they don't work on a track. Instant torque is really fun and the model 3 performance handles quite well for a heavy car - heavier than the new m3.

And,
My 15 m4 is fine but starting to age. I liked the 15 better than the '08 m3 coupe I had before that. Warts and all. I liked the '08 better than the '02. I liked the '02 better than the '98. I loved the '98 as it was my first Bmw and first m car.

In summary, I will track the '21 m3 a few times a year. I will shuttle kids and dogs and golf clubs and such a lot during the year. M3 still best vehicle for those things, I think.

7 years from now, I bet we are looking at a lot of electric options, including ones that are trackable. Call this my swan song of internal combustion daily driver plus the occasional hpde.
So, if I may summarize...
  • You're "over the grille enough" but getting a dark color to hide it
  • It "weighs a lot" but can name other heavy cars so... oh well
  • Cayman/911/Corvette are all better but those darn kids
  • COVID made you buy it
That's a lot of excuses/rationalizations you're making to justify buying this car. The only justification you're missing is... I didn't want to buy it but the devil made me do it.
Appreciate 0