Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Misinformed / old legends.
Ask the actual users - people who own and maintain (myself included).
Small insight - A very wide range of standard products not explicitly made for matte are perfectly fine and safe to use.
Can you take it through a car wash?
Absolutely. And some people do that on a regular basis. It will even have less of a visible effect on it than on a glossy paint job where you will instantly get swirls!

If you value your car (matte or glossy) and/or you are a car-enthusiast however, you would never do that to any car!
My standard, glossy paint-job Audi has not seen an automatic car wash since 2014.
      12-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #90
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreen822 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
If you are an enthusiast you dont take even a metallic paint through a carwash, even if it says touchless.
I hear what you are saying, but people like me that live in Chicago and suffer through brutal winters with snow/salt don't have the ability to hand wash the car when it's -20 degrees. I need the ability to run it through a touchless wash now and again. I know I can do that with a metallic paint, but would never think of doing it with the Frozen. I believe you can go through a touchless with Xpel, thought, right?
Zero problems with touchless washes, as long as you don't use products which add gloss.....
(If you do - you will simply temporarily(!) ruin the look of the car)

Frozen paints are not made out of "frozen yoghurt" guys!
      12-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #91
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 RWD

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Not a fan of the new grills but with this color it almost hides it. That is one mean looking machine there...
      12-26-2020, 09:00 PM   #92
Wayner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Looks hot. Would a stealth wrap over black sapphire achieve the same look?
yes and is a way better idea for various reasons
Please list reasons.
Much easier to maintain, less susceptible to rock chips, and if you have an issue you have to replace the wrap on that panel, NOT have the panel repainted with a very difficult color to replicate. Lot of paint shops cannot handle frozen paint.
Can you clarify the comment on how a matte wrap is easier to maintain them frozen paint?

I would garner that the same car care techniques are applicable to each, no? Matte/frozen specific soaps and waxes. No buffing or polishing. In regards to overall maintenance and speaking from personal experience, the maintenance is actually 'easier' then a gloss paint. I hear your point about rock chips and painting, but again there is various PPFs available to protect the paint and because this type of finish is more common now in the marketplace, there are more shops that can refinish a panel to match the rest of the car. I am not really following your misconceptions about the finish and quite frankly their misleading. Matte/ Frozen paints are different than Gloss and subsequently they require different approaches to their care.
Absolutely correct. 👍🏼
I second that. I find its as easy as a gloss finish.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 01:57 AM   #93
s1s2rn
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440I GC

Sinister!!! Love It!!
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2020, 03:02 AM   #94
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That car looks awesome minus that one attribute we all hate up front. I really like the side skirts and how they swoop wide smoothly!
      12-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #95
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
If you are an enthusiast you dont take even a metallic paint through a carwash, even if it says touchless.
A few cars ago I would go to the DIY wash with my own bucket, soap, mit, etc. I was really just there to use their soft water. It was almost therapeutic bonding time with my car. I eventually realized that I'm not going to stand outside in the winter to wash my car and even in warm weather sometimes just don't have the time. I now have an unlimited monthly package at a local drive through wash. I'll put up with some slight swirls to have a clean car all the time.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #96
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
A few cars ago I would go to the DIY wash with my own bucket, soap, mit, etc. I was really just there to use their soft water. It was almost therapeutic bonding time with my car. I eventually realized that I'm not going to stand outside in the winter to wash my car and even in warm weather sometimes just don't have the time. I now have an unlimited monthly package at a local drive through wash. I'll put up with some slight swirls to have a clean car all the time.
This!

Same here after washing my F82 by hand only for 4 years... By the end I sold it, the guy use it as his track car.
Appreciate 1
snareman9040.00
      12-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #97
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
A matter of personal choice. I prefer driving a dirty car in the winter (as dirty as it can be after a 10min contact-less foam and power wash), than having always accumulating swirls 365 days a year.

How do you keep a car clean in the winter? You don't.

But back to the topic - you wouldn't have any problem doing what you do with a frozen. This said - if you don't care about your car exterior, why waste money on anything else than a basic paint-job.
      12-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #98
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Probably the best pic I have seen so far
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 04:40 PM   #99
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
A matter of personal choice. I prefer driving a dirty car in the winter (as dirty as it can be after a 10min contact-less foam and power wash), than having always accumulating swirls 365 days a year.

But back to the topic - you wouldn't have any problem doing what you do with a frozen. This said - if you don't care about your car exterior, why waste money on anything else than a basic paint-job.
I keep a clean car in the winter by being able to wash it daily if I wanted to.

I think our versions of "don't care about your car" differ.

I don't think I'd ever get a frozen color, but had heard that they were rough to care for so I was curious if that had eased up.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #100
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I follow this same behavior. And since I am clearly a stickler for my cars, I feel that getting a frozen paint would be more stress for me than its worth. The frozen black M is tempting, but I dont see it for me. I would go Toronto Red or Black Safire
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 04:55 AM   #101
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:

Agree to an extend living in Sweden here, our roads during winter times is horrible with all the gravel, salt, grime and dirt on it. It is really a downer trying to keep a car clean during this time of the year.

I am though one of the lucky few i have an option at both work and at home, when i drive it between these two stops only i can just wash it off with warm water from a hose that's enough to keep it "clean" but it still needs a proper wash every two weeks. And i am able to to this indoors so the car doesn't freeze up when it hits 0c and below. As long as it is water only to keep the surface dirt from sticking to much on the car it won't create to many swirls on the paint.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #102
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Batmobile vibes.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #103
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The tide of public opinion is turning. Check out the comments from this post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJME_M-J...d=tfxvgprcyqou
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #104
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
For me, it's not only about the grill. The rear quarter section just does not do it for me either, it is heavy set, bulky and very un-BMW. It does not connect properly with the front. The character lines start nowhere and and nowhere, I find little fluidity in the overall design. But that's just my opinion...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 3
FMLYSDN1179.50
stein_325i25064.00
Mavus2026.00
      12-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #105
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
For me, it's not only about the grill. The rear quarter section just does not do it for me either, it is heavy set, bulky and very un-BMW. It does not connect properly with the front. The character lines start nowhere and and nowhere, I find little fluidity in the overall design. But that's just my opinion...
I would agree with this statement. Many have focused on the grills, but for me it's the overall design. Some areas that I find very unattractive are the door handles and the rear bumper. These are areas that just don't sit right. The door handles are so simple in their design they look out of place and emulate a Kia/ Hyundai. The protrusion of the rear bumper is just awkward. I am struggling with the entire design philosophy of the car. The grill could have worked if executed better. It's the overall design the let's it down.
Appreciate 3
CanAutM321115.00
stein_325i25064.00
Mavus2026.00
      12-28-2020, 02:50 PM   #106
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I would agree with this statement. Many have focused on the grills, but for me it's the overall design. Some areas that I find very unattractive are the door handles and the rear bumper. These are areas that just don't sit right. The door handles are so simple in their design they look out of place and emulate a Kia/ Hyundai. The protrusion of the rear bumper is just awkward. I am struggling with the entire design philosophy of the car. The grill could have worked if executed better. It's the overall design the let's it down.
Totally agree.
Just look at the G80 compared to the G82, the M3 looks great with bold lines & cohesive design, whereas the M4 is just horrid imo.
The grill is the least of the concerns with the M4 design, in fact it may be the only good thing about it.
It's so bland with no distinguishing features, it's almost 2 dimensional in appearance & so flat sided, the lines are just so soft & weak.
It certainly doesn't appear to have come out of the same design house as the M3.
The fact that if you took the badge off it you wouldn't know what brand it is speaks volumes.
      12-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #107
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Totally agree.
Just look at the G80 compared to the G82, the M3 looks great with bold lines & cohesive design, whereas the M4 is just horrid imo.
The grill is the least of the concerns with the M4 design, in fact it may be the only good thing about it.
It's so bland with no distinguishing features, it's almost 2 dimensional in appearance & so flat sided, the lines are just so soft & weak.
It certainly doesn't appear to have come out of the same design house as the M3.
The fact that if you took the badge off it you wouldn't know what brand it is speaks volumes.
The M3 also has many design oddities too though...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #108
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Wish we could find the photographer and car owner. But his signature is illegible to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #109
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Small insight - A very wide range of standard products not explicitly made for matte are perfectly fine and safe to use.
Absolutely. And some people do that on a regular basis. It will even have less of a visible effect on it than on a glossy paint job where you will instantly get swirls!

If you value your car (matte or glossy) and/or you are a car-enthusiast however, you would never do that to any car!
My standard, glossy paint-job Audi has not seen an automatic car wash since 2014.
It is against BMW advice to take frozen coloured cars to car washes. The swirl marks would be indescribable
      12-30-2020, 01:44 AM   #110
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It is against BMW advice to take frozen coloured cars to car washes. The swirl marks would be indescribable
Swirl marks remain vastly invisible on a frozen (matte) paint due to its nature. One of the advantages.

This said, I haven't seen any manufacturer endorsing the use an automatic car wash on any paint job ....