BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-21-2020, 11:09 PM   #89
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
As I said, M3/4 need very little "track prepping". A newbe can definitely take a completely stock M3/4 to the track a get along fine. I'd say brake pads is the only real must after that.
I would say track tires, extra set of pads, and high perf brake fluid.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 04:56 AM   #90
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I would say track tires, extra set of pads, and high perf brake fluid.
I've been using the OE brake fluid in all my ///Ms without issue so far. Experiences may vary...

I agree that the stock tires wear quite fast with a brisker pace, but they are not unsafe to track. That's why I said tires are necessary to reduce consumable cost, but are not mandatory for an occasional track day.

What do you mean by "extra set of pads"?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      12-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #91
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

I thought this thread was about 0-60 and 1/4 mile trash talk. None of this road course junk. LOL JK
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #92
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 xM3C/'20 X3MComp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Why does it matter if BMW is watching? If you tune the car, your Warranty is fucked anyway. It's the issue of being able to break the ECU. Someone will figure it out. Hopefully sooner than later
I was simply pointing out that BMW has stepped up their game for monitoring the ECU. In the past, tuning seemed subjective to dealerships, and your relationship at those dealerships. Depending on the dealership, they would look the other way. I felt tuning and modding was part of the culture at my dealership, in fact my dealership installed tunes. It seems BMW is taking this out of the hands of the dealership and now monitoring directly.

Of course if you don't give a F#ck you are free to tune away. IMO, nothing stays "locked" forever, someone will figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #93
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnotsomuchf80 View Post
When the new AWD G80's come out w massive power gains it will be a massive straight line acceleration beast. Who else thinks we will see such numbers?
Doesn’t this beg the question: Was the M3/4 ever about straight line/drag racing? 0-60 times are always a marketing BS metric especially with the cars of today. I’ve always thought that the M3/4 had more than enough power in stock form to land most drivers in trouble if they turned DSC fully off.
      12-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #94
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80SRT View Post
I was simply pointing out that BMW has stepped up their game for monitoring the ECU. In the past, tuning seemed subjective to dealerships, and your relationship at those dealerships. Depending on the dealership, they would look the other way. I felt tuning and modding was part of the culture at my dealership, in fact my dealership installed tunes. It seems BMW is taking this out of the hands of the dealership and now monitoring directly.

Of course if you don't give a F#ck you are free to tune away. IMO, nothing stays "locked" forever, someone will figure it out.
I respectively disagree. I don't care what relationship you think you have with your dealer. If you have a major issue ( Blown tranny, spun crank hub w/ motor damage F8X only hopefully, bent rods) you are not getting covered!! It's that simple. No one at a dealership can approve that type of repair. They will send someone to see what happened from BMW. Your BUDDY at the dealership isn't going to hook you up with a 20,000 motor repair
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #95
MJO316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 '17 i8

Quote:
Same here, zero interest on heavily modded 1/4 mile times.

I am looking for a fully warrantied dual use car for the 4-season daily drive and weekend track hobby, which is what the M3(4) design intent has always been about.
Flash tune is what I go with. Your pretty much fully warrantied because you can hide it unless you blow the engine(not likely) and still get decent power gains. I am looking for one before I order an M4 noone has one out yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #96
MJO316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamesJarden View Post
This is all assuming that the ECU in the new G8x can be cracked in the first place (see here)..
I am sitting here weighing the M8 and M4 Comp for a Jan order/ March delivery.

My mind is being made up for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #97
MJO316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why does it matter if BMW is watching? If you tune the car, your Warranty is fucked anyway. It's the issue of being able to break the ECU. Someone will figure it out. Hopefully sooner than later
My i8 is tuned (yes possible). It has been 2 years. No one has figured out. I turn it in in 3 months. That cloud communication would be a catastrophe.

As long as you don't buy an outrageous tune (+200 HP) nothing will happen to car.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 04:19 PM   #98
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOrtiz316 View Post
My i8 is tuned (yes possible). It has been 2 years. No one has figured out. I turn it in in 3 months. That cloud communication would be a catastrophe.

As long as you don't buy an outrageous tune (+200 HP) nothing will happen to car.
I agree 100%. If nothing happens to the car or if it's something minor, most likely you are fine. Lots of people track these cars. Some run them hard. If you tune the car and have a bad tune, mis-shift, bad gas ect. ect.. and damage something. You my friend are fucked. Those things happen. Probably more than most would think. You said 200 HP, that would be an amazing tune. LOL. Even if you go 90-100 HP over stock, you are gambling. Tune the car and have fun! If it breaks, be ready to fix it. It's pretty simple
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #99
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I agree 100%. If nothing happens to the car or if it's something minor, most likely you are fine. Lots of people track these cars. Some run them hard. If you tune the car and have a bad tune, mis-shift, bad gas ect. ect.. and damage something. You my friend are fucked. Those things happen. Probably more than most would think. You said 200 HP, that would be an amazing tune. LOL. Even if you go 90-100 HP over stock, you are gambling. Tune the car and have fun! If it breaks, be ready to fix it. It's pretty simple
^ This.

You gotta pay to play...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:53 AM   #100
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 xM3C/'20 X3MComp

Quote:
I respectively disagree. I don't care what relationship you think you have with your dealer. If you have a major issue ( Blown tranny, spun crank hub w/ motor damage F8X only hopefully, bent rods) you are not getting covered!! It's that simple. No one at a dealership can approve that type of repair. They will send someone to see what happened from BMW. Your BUDDY at the dealership isn't going to hook you up with a 20,000 motor repair
Yeah, I can't deny that, nor would I want to test it to prove your theory.

The general phrase though, 'you tune, your warranty is gone', tells the story as if it's black and white, and in the past I'm saying full tossing of the warranty was not the case.

In this new cloud, big brother watching though, the impression was it would be more like you are saying. You tune, and your ENTIRE warranty is gone.

Full disclosure, before the X5M, I had a F80Comp with VFEngineering tune, so I'm not opposed to tuning. I'd love to run a piggy back/flash on the X3MC (but it's the wife's, and for what little I drive it I figure it's not worth it). Besides, I'm in line for the G80Comp in AWD, and WAS considering a small tune (50-60HP bump) but really don't want to see my entire warranty tossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:21 PM   #101
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
I thought this thread was about 0-60 and 1/4 mile trash talk. None of this road course junk. LOL JK
You mean racing that actually takes skill?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #102
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
You mean racing that actually takes skill?
Hey, it takes skill to dodge slower cars on the highway when you are rolling at a 130 and texting:thump: Totally kidding. People should not be doing that!!! Be SAFE and Happy New Year
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 05:38 PM   #103
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOrtiz316 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamesJarden View Post
This is all assuming that the ECU in the new G8x can be cracked in the first place (see here)..
I am sitting here weighing the M8 and M4 Comp for a Jan order/ March delivery.

My mind is being made up for me.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's complete nonsense. When I flashed my 135i it was immediately recorded by bmw during a service and diagnostic check. I only found out thst they knew when I went to extend the warranty on my car a few years later (when I reflashed it back to "stock"). They know. They always will. Be warned...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #104
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

OP, your prediction was spot on.
      12-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #105
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
OP, your prediction was spot on.
Give OP a raise! He's an oracle!
Appreciate 1
nathanm4681.00
      12-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #106
NKGK20
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M , G80 on

Quote:
I see a lot of posts with people disheartened by the G80's weight, power, looks, etc. Many saying they'd rather get an M5 or even a GTR. For those of you with modded F80's out there, you know how easy it is to add massive power w downpipes and an E85 tune, let alone turbos and PI. For most, traction was the issue.

I personally think a highly modded *AWD* G80 should hit insane numbers as in high 2's on a 0-60 and 9's in the 1/4 mile. An M5 shouldn't go past stage 2 without worrying about rods, and GTRs need upgraded transmissions among other things. The new ZAF should be able to handle high torque loads, and no crank hub worries with the S58 engine. When the new AWD G80's come out w massive power gains it will be a massive straight line acceleration beast. For reference, please see new X3M gains on the S58.

Who else thinks we will see such numbers?
There are a few g80's who aren't heavy modded running 9's. All in Europe because they can unlock ECU.. through Russia. Car is also doing 5.1 sec 60-130. To some people on here who talking shit, this is an all around monster. Either you don't own an xdrive or don't know much about this engine. Anyone enough said, if you want to see the videos they are all over bimmerpost and YouTube!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 10:09 PM   #107
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKGK20 View Post
Quote:
I see a lot of posts with people disheartened by the G80's weight, power, looks, etc. Many saying they'd rather get an M5 or even a GTR. For those of you with modded F80's out there, you know how easy it is to add massive power w downpipes and an E85 tune, let alone turbos and PI. For most, traction was the issue.

I personally think a highly modded *AWD* G80 should hit insane numbers as in high 2's on a 0-60 and 9's in the 1/4 mile. An M5 shouldn't go past stage 2 without worrying about rods, and GTRs need upgraded transmissions among other things. The new ZAF should be able to handle high torque loads, and no crank hub worries with the S58 engine. When the new AWD G80's come out w massive power gains it will be a massive straight line acceleration beast. For reference, please see new X3M gains on the S58.

There are a few g80's who aren't heavy modded running 9's. All in Europe because they can unlock ECU.. through Russia. Car is also doing 5.1 sec 60-130. To some people on here who talking shit, this is an all around monster. Either you don't own an xdrive or don't know much about this engine. Anyone enough said, if you want to see the videos they are all over bimmerpost and YouTube!
Are you referring to Wrench Studios car that just ran a 5.3? If so, a lot of folks are saying fake news or spraying nitrous
      12-22-2021, 10:13 PM   #108
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I was told by a respectable n54 s55 etc engine builder that F90 and G80 have the same rods
      12-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #109
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJO316 View Post
Quote:
Same here, zero interest on heavily modded 1/4 mile times.

I am looking for a fully warrantied dual use car for the 4-season daily drive and weekend track hobby, which is what the M3(4) design intent has always been about.
Flash tune is what I go with. Your pretty much fully warrantied because you can hide it unless you blow the engine(not likely) and still get decent power gains. I am looking for one before I order an M4 noone has one out yet.
It's common knowledge that you can't hide a flash tune nor a piggyback for that matter. BMW NA during a PUMA case for serious repair claims under warranty looks at a variety of parameters that will give the tune away, even if you flash the stock file, reset the software clock counter etc. Best way to be as safe a possible is to get a spare ecu, although there are other modules that could also give the tune away, but that's a topic for another time.
      12-22-2021, 10:52 PM   #110
MIM5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW Junkie View Post
Quote:

I was told by a respectable n54 s55 etc engine builder that F90 and G80 have the same rods
It's a good thing they are not respectable s58 and s63 builders then. 😂 All jokes aside, I hope that is not the truth. I moved away from the s63 due to the scare of rods bending.
Appreciate 0