BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

View Poll Results: If BMW were to offer all variants of G8x in the US, which model would you go with?
G80 M3 Sedan 192 16.81%
G81 M3 Touring 844 73.91%
G82 M4 Coupe 80 7.01%
G83 M4 Convertible 26 2.28%
Voters: 1142. You may not vote on this poll

04-10-2022, 06:55 PM   #485
HTXE93
Private
Rep
Drives: F10

I went to the MX1 CCA gathering this weekend. There was a guy from BMW NA who works in product planning, and he fielded a few questions from the crowd after his presentation.

The first was about the G81, and the BMW NA guy once again emphatically confirmed that NA is not going to get the G81. Further, he said no amount of letter writing or petitioning was going to do it either, as even the European G81 is quite late in the production cycle, and bringing even later to the NA market wouldn't make any sense.

I tried to press him a bit after to see how many units they'd need to move to consider it, and while he wouldn't give an actual number, he said a couple thousand G81s wouldn't be enough.

For what it's worth, he said he's a big wagon guy himself and follows the one-off builds that people do on older models, reads the enthusiast posts on forums, etc.

Yet another confirmation that it seems the only way to get a G81 is move to Europe.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #486
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Oh well... I guess Audi or Mercedes is getting money
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 08:48 PM   #487
CarbonBlackJack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
What an effin travesty. Honestly.
Product strategy gone bad a few years back and now impacting what I think is a niche but growing segment here in the US. BMWNA a complete gong show.

If Audi didn't have so many abysmal small SUVs in the US, I'd guess they would double down and bring the RS4 Avant here. I was hoping the RS6 Avant exercise was a proof of concept that would demonstrate the want is strong. They could scoop up a good amount of new Audi owners on the back of this M3 touring debacle. Maybe that's the next petition to drum up "Audi help us! BMW won't bring a mid-size performance wagon to the States- maybe you can?"
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 09:31 PM   #488
Ska8139
Rep
Drives: Dad mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
It’ll have to be Audi. Mercedes isn’t making the E63s AMG anymore. There’ll be none for MY2022 and whether it comes back as the next generation (W214) is up for debate (likely no). The few allocations that snuck out that weren’t claimed for MY21 were selling for $25-30k over MSRP. Hell, 2018-2019 models were selling for nearly the same price I paid for my 2021 ($130k). A few weeks back, some dude dropped over $175k for a very lightly used 2021 on one of those car auction websites. The market for this car is nuts. Before I got my car, I had ordered an RS6 and even getting that involved almost a year of waiting.

BMW would make money on this car. There’s a lot of us wagon fans out there. Why they won’t make is idiocy. Pure idiocy. Sport wagon fans are a crazy bunch of enthusiasts; we’d sell this car out if given the chance.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50
      04-18-2022, 06:55 PM   #489
AR_Motorwerkz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

What would be best: an m3 wagon or an m5 wagon??
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 07:13 PM   #490
pg80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska8139 View Post
It’ll have to be Audi. Mercedes isn’t making the E63s AMG anymore. There’ll be none for MY2022 and whether it comes back as the next generation (W214) is up for debate (likely no). The few allocations that snuck out that weren’t claimed for MY21 were selling for $25-30k over MSRP. Hell, 2018-2019 models were selling for nearly the same price I paid for my 2021 ($130k). A few weeks back, some dude dropped over $175k for a very lightly used 2021 on one of those car auction websites. The market for this car is nuts. Before I got my car, I had ordered an RS6 and even getting that involved almost a year of waiting.

BMW would make money on this car. There’s a lot of us wagon fans out there. Why they won’t make is idiocy. Pure idiocy. Sport wagon fans are a crazy bunch of enthusiasts; we’d sell this car out if given the chance.
I would sell my G80 in a heart beat for this wagon really upset it’s not coming here
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 02:35 AM   #491
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTXE93 View Post
I went to the MX1 CCA gathering this weekend. There was a guy from BMW NA who works in product planning, and he fielded a few questions from the crowd after his presentation.

The first was about the G81, and the BMW NA guy once again emphatically confirmed that NA is not going to get the G81. Further, he said no amount of letter writing or petitioning was going to do it either, as even the European G81 is quite late in the production cycle, and bringing even later to the NA market wouldn't make any sense.

I tried to press him a bit after to see how many units they'd need to move to consider it, and while he wouldn't give an actual number, he said a couple thousand G81s wouldn't be enough.

For what it's worth, he said he's a big wagon guy himself and follows the one-off builds that people do on older models, reads the enthusiast posts on forums, etc.

Yet another confirmation that it seems the only way to get a G81 is move to Europe.
1. Join the military
2. Pick a job that has postings in Germany
3. Get a rotation to Germany written into your contract
4. Order your M3 wagon (at a very nice discount) through the military sales with a Germany delivery address
5. Rotate back to the states and have the military ship your car for free

Off the top of my head there are at least a few jobs that have a 12 week basic training, 1 year or less assignment to Germany, and can be done in a Reserve capacity vs active duty. So basically you'd be a weekend warrior back here in the states (1 weekend a month for a couple years) and get to go live in Germany for a bit while your car is being built. It's also possible (depending on your line of work) to continue to do your civilian job while stationed abroad...or, some companies will just hold your job for you while you're on active status. Even better, some will continue to pay the difference in salary between your civilian job and military pay.

Yeah...that should get you one into the US without worrying about all that pesky tens of thousands in shipping costs.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 08:48 AM   #492
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
1. Join the military
2. Pick a job that has postings in Germany
3. Get a rotation to Germany written into your contract
4. Order your M3 wagon (at a very nice discount) through the military sales with a Germany delivery address
5. Rotate back to the states and have the military ship your car for free

Off the top of my head there are at least a few jobs that have a 12 week basic training, 1 year or less assignment to Germany, and can be done in a Reserve capacity vs active duty. So basically you'd be a weekend warrior back here in the states (1 weekend a month for a couple years) and get to go live in Germany for a bit while your car is being built. It's also possible (depending on your line of work) to continue to do your civilian job while stationed abroad...or, some companies will just hold your job for you while you're on active status. Even better, some will continue to pay the difference in salary between your civilian job and military pay.

Yeah...that should get you one into the US without worrying about all that pesky tens of thousands in shipping costs.
Won’t work. You can only pick US models via the BMW Military program.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:27 PM   #493
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Won’t work. You can only pick US models via the BMW Military program.
Damn. My plot is foiled.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 2
playswcars3632.00
spidy512491.50
      05-22-2022, 12:31 PM   #494
JohnWizz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325xi E91 wagon

Garage List
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
I had not been keeping up with this soga but I find it very disappointing and disheartening. I haven't owned my E91 Wagon long but absolutely love it and would love to be able to get my hands on the M3 Touring.

I have known a number of people who have shipped vehicles over seas and while the shipping costs aren't usually the killer, the import fees and taxes are. Still, makes me wonder how many people would be willing to pay that extra....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 09:03 AM   #495
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
FUCK

Quote:

Instagram: @TouringM3
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 07:26 AM   #496
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

My SA told me this week he's asked about the G81 a lot. Told me BMW is putting their NA efforts into the hybrid and EV which will outsell the wagon exponentially.
The neighborhood guy with the 5 series wagon gets offers to sell weekly. Same with the Cadillac V Sport manual owner.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 01:04 PM   #497
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Wagon market is strong - Doug explains the appeal well in this clip. Currently off-roader vehicles like Bronco, Jeep, 4Runner are getting the people that do not want a crossover….JMHO. At least BMW offers a G80 sedan (6MT) with a roof-rack…..but anyone with a dog can see why the wagon would be so much more practical.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 06:58 PM   #498
Sandy Eggo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 (6MT)

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2020 Kia Telluride  [0.00]
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey, not necessarily. Any of us can legally import one to the U.S....just have to wait 25 years
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 03:34 PM   #499
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
I would certainly buy one