BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-30-2024, 09:35 AM   #243
Ginster6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 with a Stick

if I were getting an automatic. then yes bucket.
On a MT. Hell no.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 10:04 AM   #244
Trevorr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 GT500 CFTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Exactly.

Buy what you want.

The buckets are NOT necessary to "make the car". These are wonderful cars and we are lucky to be able to have enough choices to make them individual. There is no one "must have".

Except piano black. Please someone kill that sh!t with fire.
Yeah I never understood when boy racer says that something something option "makes the car".

Like.... Does it make it any faster in the 1/4 or around the Nurburgring or something?

I'm willing to bet 98% of carbon bucket fanboys do not track the car whatsoever and only get them for instagram. Form over function I guess.
Appreciate 2
ErikJ1421.00
bri10425937.00
      01-30-2024, 10:08 AM   #245
nunzo
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Rep
Drives: germans

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW M3  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginster6 View Post
if I were getting an automatic. then yes bucket.
On a MT. Hell no.

I find them perfect for driving manual. My only complaint is that the dash doesn't allow for size 13's to clear on most of my shoes.

Also my ginormous hog finds the carbon wiener slide perfectly comfortable.
1994 318i - alpine white / Super Touring Project
Appreciate 1
3some!15.00
      01-30-2024, 10:13 AM   #246
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc.g80brg View Post
A G8X without bucket seats isn't a real ///M imho. You feel way more connected to the car compared to pretty much 330i seats. It is a shame to put such seats inside this kind of car. By owning E46 M3 and E92 M3 also, one of the main mods is to change the base seats to aftermarket ones (recaro CS or GT).

Bucket seats are a game changer for M cars. G8X used car values even show it already.
You might want to say “To me a G8X without…” as this is simply your opinion. You are welcome to your opinion but don’t try and look down on those of us who despise the CB’s.

I tried the CF buckets and in 10 miles my back ached and getting in and out was a total PITA. I could not see myself having any fun with the CB seats. So many people say they want CB’s yet every M3/M4 I’ve seen on dealer floors or web sites have had the Sport seats. Why? The majority of the general public that wants an M3/4 likely does not want CB’s or dealers would stock them. On this site, sure, I get it.

Maybe in 25 years the CB’s will make the car more collectible but I think dealers will have a tough time selling cars with CB’s if they put them on their floor.

Just my opinion of course.
Appreciate 2
Trevorr82.50
bri10425937.00
      01-30-2024, 10:16 AM   #247
Trevorr
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this is complete and utter nonsense. Please stop trying to shame people for their choices. It's unnecessary.

The G8X's are near-4000 lb sport sedans and a GT coupes. They are not sports cars. Bucket seats are unnecessary to "make the car".

Many people are saying that "the spec" for the new 911 ST is to skip the buckets. That it's more of a "touring" spec than the GT3 with Touring package. You going to tell me that if someone is willing to spec their $300k, 9000 RPM flat 6, carbon fetsooned, 2 seat sports car with, "gasp", non-bucket seats that's "the spec", but a G8X isn't a real //M without buckets?

Really? So pretty much every M before the G8X wasn't a real M either? Give me a break.

People don't understand that this is a thing. They say "the buckets are comfortable" and while I say yes, they are pretty comfy when you're in there, not everyone is shaped the same. I have exactly the same problem as you. It's not the thickness of your legs, it's how your pelvis and hips are shaped and, more importantly, what that does to your legs. I don't sit with my legs straight out. I just don't. I'm not built that way. My legs are always angled out. So the lower bolsters on the buckets are way too prominent when I am holding my legs at their natural position, as the front edges are CONSTANTLY cutting into my upper quads.
Spot on, the carbon buckets look extremely nice but they seem really out of place in a 4000lb car. If the bucket seats didn't have any carbon fiber on them and just had a standard back, I'm willing to bet most people who got the seats wouldn't get them. Leads me to believe that they are strictly for looks. Only for the gram (Instagram).

Can't fault BMW for capitalizing on the "form over function" consumerism that we have today, it's just the world we live in with upcoming generations.

I have "bodybuilder" legs, I'm extremely in shape and have larger than normal legs and have to sit with legs slightly spread. These seats don't allow for any leg movement. They are killer for track performance though as I do visit the track often.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 10:26 AM   #248
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorr View Post
Form over function I guess.
That's the name of the game.

Spacers. Lowering springs. Large wheels. PPF... these don't help performance... I would say a big part of the M3 world is consumed with aesthetics. This is not a criticism.
Appreciate 2
Skyscraper2196.00
Sonic RR118.50
      01-30-2024, 10:41 AM   #249
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Buy what you like and works for you.

But so many reasons given for not getting the buckets.

The buckets do make the car more special. Factory buckets are unique in the car world. But they are also polarizing on a car that is more of the ultimate DD and not really a sports car. The buckets also take a commitment as they are more challenging to live with than the sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 11:55 AM   #250
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

Why do we all have to agree? WTF doesn’t matter … put your opinion out there sure as it helps others make a decision but we don’t all have to agree.

My opinion - I had a 23 M4 with sport seats and now a 24 with buckets.

Sport seats - I never personally got comfortable , thought they too wide/flat and I was shifting around. Was messing with the adjustments for months, particularly the leg extender part. Easy to get in and out.

Buckets - I made 2 adjustments and they fit me perfectly. Literally have never had a more comfortable seat in any car I’ve owned. Which is a lot of damn cars. They are a total pain to get in and out particularly if it’s raining and you want to do it quickly or if you are carrying something. You have to use one or both hands and then grab your water or phone or whatever. I’d spec them again all day. If you lift or ride bikes a lot etc and you are sore then holy F getting out is a pain. Some days I just sit there all day instead of going into work bc my legs hurt. Then I go home.
Appreciate 2
KevinGS3359.00
Needsdecaf6599.00
      01-30-2024, 12:00 PM   #251
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr955 View Post
If you lift or ride bikes a lot etc and you are sore then holy F getting out is a pain. Some days I just sit there all day instead of going into work bc my legs hurt. Then I go home.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 02:37 PM   #252
herbnlegend
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX, BMW M4 Comp xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
This is the most bimmerpost post I have seen in awhile. It just needs a photo of his car with a squat rack beside it and it would be perfect.
Bro I don’t do squats. ALL UPPER BODY
Appreciate 3
      01-30-2024, 02:52 PM   #253
ErikJ1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Sport

CB's kill the resale. My CA was telling me yesterday that they dread getting a trade in with them as they are going to sit along ass time. The sport seat M3's are sold the day they get traded in. Go on autotempest.com and see 70% on there are CB
Appreciate 2
Mike02z1977.50
Trevorr82.50
      01-30-2024, 02:59 PM   #254
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJ1 View Post
CB's kill the resale. My CA was telling me yesterday that they dread getting a trade in with them as they are going to sit along ass time. The sport seat M3's are sold the day they get traded in. Go on autotempest.com and see 70% on there are CB
Makes sense why CB’s are restricted to a P1 order, and don’t find indealer stock unless a cancelled customer order.
      01-30-2024, 03:00 PM   #255
Trevorr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJ1 View Post
The dealership I ordered my car will ask for more on a deposit if a car is ordered with carbon bucket seats or carbon ceramic brakes. Their reasoning is that the seats or CCB are "harder to love".

The reality is that the vast majority of people that buy M cars are not on these forums and likely prefer comfort over gimmicks.
Appreciate 1
ErikJ1421.00
      01-30-2024, 08:37 PM   #256
BryanCO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The dealership I ordered my car will ask for more on a deposit if a car is ordered with carbon bucket seats or carbon ceramic brakes. Their reasoning is that the seats or CCB are "harder to love".

The reality is that the vast majority of people that buy M cars are not on these forums and likely prefer comfort over gimmicks.
Now buckets and carbon brakes are gimmicks. 25% manual take rate. Dealers pushing the Comp/auto and more interested in volume and the the average upgrade to a M buyer. The end of the BMW enthusiast is near….
Appreciate 1
HNSKP313.00
      01-30-2024, 08:41 PM   #257
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

Buckets and CCB’s are not gimmicks. Did I order them? Neither. Do both offer a meaningful performance advantage? Absolutely. Do I feel like they are essential in any way? No. But they do actually do something besides just look good.
Appreciate 2
harperium1312.00
SheBMW232.00
      01-30-2024, 08:44 PM   #258
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Buckets and CCB’s are not gimmicks. Did I order them? Neither. Do both offer a meaningful performance advantage? Absolutely. Do I feel like they are essential in any way? No. But they do actually do something besides just look good.
i ordered both

i could care less about resale. my g80 is for me, not for the next guy....
Appreciate 4
      01-30-2024, 11:39 PM   #259
HNSKP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M3 base

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [8.00]
Buckets aren’t for everyone, but they’re definitely not a gimmick. Aside from the lateral support, I noticed they offer a better connection to the chassis by creating a larger and more secure contact patch against your back. At the Thermal track and autocross events, I drove bucket and nonbucket cars back-to-back and this was something a few of us agreed on.

I optioned my G80 with the buckets and had no regrets. They were comfortable enough to DD while enhancing the experience in the canyons and beautiful to look at everyone. Form AND function. I personally had no trouble getting in and out. It’s definitely built for those with thinner frames. It probably did increase the time to sell but I just needed the right buyer (mine was 6MT).

I wouldn’t compare it to a Porsche fixed bucket in terms of comfort. It’s been awhile since I had a drive in one but they are very upright and gave me lumbar pain after awhile.
Appreciate 3
Ibiza3611.50
BryanCO894.00
      01-31-2024, 11:09 AM   #260
Trevorr
Private
Rep

I have both CCB and buckets btw.

They are definitely “gimmicks” in how they are used by majority of buyers. For its true function, yeah not gimmicks. But let’s be real, many people get them because now their instagram page is about to blow up. Which to each their own.

Porsche a while ago realized that iron brakes are more than enough for track performance. Because they are. They admitted that they only kept CCB as an option because of a particular buyer (The buyer that doesn’t track the car but options them due to substantially less brake dust).

The carbon buckets are really only well suited for track performance. They provide significantly less lateral movement than standard seats. But Most will
Never even see the G forces necessary to make these seats worthwhile. But most buyers get them for looks. If BMW put carbon fiber on the sports seats and a non CF back on the buckets. Most of the “buckets make the car” crowd would be saying “regular sport seats make the car”.

I have both options. But I track the crap out of the my cars and don’t even have ppf heh.
Appreciate 2
Ibiza3611.50
Skyscraper2196.00
      01-31-2024, 01:56 PM   #261
BryanCO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have both CCB and buckets btw.

They are definitely “gimmicks” in how they are used by majority of buyers. For its true function, yeah not gimmicks. But let’s be real, many people get them because now their instagram page is about to blow up. Which to each their own.

Porsche a while ago realized that iron brakes are more than enough for track performance. Because they are. They admitted that they only kept CCB as an option because of a particular buyer (The buyer that doesn’t track the car but options them due to substantially less brake dust).

The carbon buckets are really only well suited for track performance. They provide significantly less lateral movement than standard seats. But Most will
Never even see the G forces necessary to make these seats worthwhile. But most buyers get them for looks. If BMW put carbon fiber on the sports seats and a non CF back on the buckets. Most of the “buckets make the car” crowd would be saying “regular sport seats make the car”.

I have both options. But I track the crap out of the my cars and don’t even have ppf heh.
Oh, you’re the snobbish track guy the looks down on those who buy the track based options then doesn’t track their car…
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 02:34 PM   #262
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Oh, you’re the snobbish track guy the looks down on those who buy the track based options then doesn’t track their car…
in all fairness, he's probably a pretty good driver....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 02:45 PM   #263
Trevorr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
No, I look down on people who look down on others that don't opt to get the buckets because "they make the car" or "its not a true M car without the buckets".
Appreciate 1
Mike02z1977.50
      01-31-2024, 02:48 PM   #264
BryanCO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
in all fairness, he's probably a pretty good driver....
Sure. Maybe. Does it matter?

Just like most of the content in this thread, it’s just someone’s opinion.

I have tracked cars but it’s unlikely I’ll track this car. I don’t post on IG. I don’t do C&C. I like the look and feel of the buckets and do think they contribute to creating a specialness of the car. Just my opinion…
Appreciate 1
rz9990.00