Closed Thread

07-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #331
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
I can’t wait to see the final product. With that said, I just picked up an M8 Competition Coupe, so I’ll just continue to lurk.
Congrats! Do you maybe have a link to your thoughts about the M8 over in that forum?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:40 PM   #332
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Congrats! Do you maybe have a link to your thoughts about the M8 over in that forum?
Thanks. For sure, as soon as I have a bit more time to spend with it. I’ve been lurking there for a little while.
Appreciate 1
solstice5459.00
      07-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #333
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
These cars look much closer to production ready than the other thick slat cars.
I want to see it without the front plate!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:38 PM   #334
CityLife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
The only part of this that brings me some joy is that the guys who were extreme tools when I was shopping for my F80 and the grimiest of the grimy, this time around they will be feeling the pain. That is why you treat your customers with dignity and respect their time.

RUSNAK and Century West BMW, good luck trying to convince people this is UNOBTANIUM.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #335
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G83 M4C xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLife View Post
The only part of this that brings me some joy is that the guys who were extreme tools when I was shopping for my F80 and the grimiest of the grimy, this time around they will be feeling the pain. That is why you treat your customers with dignity and respect their time.

RUSNAK and Century West BMW, good luck trying to convince people this is UNOBTANIUM.
Is that the RUSNAK BMW with Youtube videos with that corny-ass tool (Scott Smith?).

Those are the worst. The girls he uses look like cheap under age prostitutes. Does he moonlight as a pimp?

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2020, 02:15 AM   #336
CityLife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman6306 View Post
Is that the RUSNAK BMW with Youtube videos with that corny-ass tool (Scott Smith?).

Those are the worst. The girls he uses look like cheap under age prostitutes. Does he moonlight as a pimp?
Lol yup; and he’s actually relatively classy compared to the others they have there. One of the guys there spent an hour trying some incorrect math on me, then he asked that I go thank his boss for considering selling me a car; and maybe he’d move on price

They try to include factory incentives as your negotiated discount/ hide numbers etc , will change the deal when you get there etc. , so thankful for this forum and its members, I Learned a ton from buying my F80, wish the general public could be made aware of Rusnak,Negative Yelp reviews usually disappear. The whole let me go check with my manager spiel three times should be a known red flag to walk out for the general public.
Appreciate 2
JTO245276.00
eman45171745.50
      07-22-2020, 08:02 AM   #337
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:

This is going to sell. This should bring in new customers to the brand.

However, the new car sales industry is decimated by covid. Willing to bet they don't act like total a**holes like when the F80 came out and selling you a car at $1,500 over invoice was doing you a favor.
Appreciate 3
JTO245276.00
SCOTT265319.00
CityLife197.50
      07-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #338
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Lol yup; and he's actually relatively classy compared to the others they have there. One of the guys there spent an hour trying some incorrect math on me, then he asked that I go thank his boss for considering selling me a car; and maybe he'd move on price

They try to include factory incentives as your negotiated discount/ hide numbers etc , will change the deal when you get there etc. , so thankful for this forum and its members, I Learned a ton from buying my F80, wish the general public could be made aware of Rusnak,Negative Yelp reviews usually disappear. The whole let me go check with my manager spiel three times should be a known red flag to walk out for the general public.
Thought so. We also have large multi-dealerships like this here on the East Coast (Open Road) that try that shady math and deceptive bait and switch nonsense. I really value the smaller, classier customer-service based dealers who value CSI and repeat business, not just those who crank out cars.

So true. We're so lucky to have such an indispensable resource like this forum with members that have years of knowledge; true power in numbers. The pricing threads, leasing program updates from Jason, residual & MF posts are invaluable!

Edit add: I've been a member for over 10 years and have only recently been more vocal due to this polarizing design direction since I've been waiting for this G8x for a while.

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 2
JTO245276.00
CityLife197.50
      07-22-2020, 11:36 AM   #339
solstice
Major General
Rep

The cars have a significant front splitter, looks like it protrude 3-4 inches but the shape is unusual. It ends at the wheels and it has a large cut out in front of the kidneys. Anyone know or care to speculate if this is likely to be a result of intense wind tunnel optimization or if has to do with avoiding reflections and interference with sensors and radar?

The shape clearly visible here for example.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #340
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
The cars have a significant front splitter, looks like it protrude 3-4 inches but the shape is unusual. It ends at the wheels and it has a large cut out in front of the kidneys. Anyone know or care to speculate if this is likely to be a result of intense wind tunnel optimization or if has to do with avoiding reflections and interference with sensors and radar?

The shape clearly visible here for example.

[IMG]https://g20.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfo...20Ring%202.jpg[/IMG]
I could be wrong, however I'd speculate that this to give the ACC an unobstructed view. Cameras (CMOS, etc) and radar sources would most likely be affected by anything in its direct forward periphery. I experienced this phenomenon in the lab.

Edit add: Disclaimer and yes, I understand the M850 and M8 also have it, however their ACC seems to be at a higher more central position so the lens might fan past that obstruction

Appreciate 2
      07-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #341
CityLife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thought so. We also have large multi-dealerships like this here on the East Coast (Open Road) that try that shady math and deceptive bait and switch nonsense. I really value the smaller, classier customer-service based dealers who value CSI and repeat business, not just those who crank out cars.

So true. We're so lucky to have such an indispensable resource like this forum with members that have years of knowledge; true power in numbers. The pricing threads, leasing program updates from Jason, residual & MF posts are invaluable!

Edit add: I've been a member for over 10 years and have only recently been more vocal due to this polarizing design direction since I've been waiting for this G8x for a while.
Hahah, yeah I think my post count is higher than it was when I was shopping for my F80 when I stopped lurking and officially joined 5 years ago. It may be kind of like that Yelp review effect, people tend to have more to express when something is out of the ordinary.
Appreciate 1
eman45171745.50
      07-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #342
CityLife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
This is going to sell. This should bring in new customers to the brand.

However, the new car sales industry is decimated by covid. Willing to bet they don't act like total a**holes like when the F80 came out and selling you a car at $1,500 over invoice was doing you a favor.
That is quite possible, like I've mentioned in my other posts historically design has less to do with sales than macro events and the economy. I completely get that my opinion alone doesn't drive the global sales of something, lol as much as I would like to think it does.

2015-2018 I think had a ton more consumer confidence in the US, i think that will be the primary reason the dealers will have to be a bit nicer. My guess is that they still move cars, but at more of a discount. We will only see number of vehicles sold, not revenue by vehicle to do real comparisons, so the perception may be different than reality. Interest rates are low as well, and I am guessing BMW financial services revenue will decline as well, even if the number of vehicles sold is the same, I would assume a revenue drop.

2021 M3, blacked out to hide the grill, 10% off, and 0%/60mo terms? Lol maybe I will change my mind then. Although with this grill, I may lease vs. finance this time.

Last edited by CityLife; 07-22-2020 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 2
eman45171745.50
JTO245276.00
      07-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #343
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

I've said this before but I think it's worth mentioning again. Based on prior success of previous BMW generations, the G8X won't be remembered for anything good except maybe the hideous grille.

The best generations of M3s have happened every other generation and it starts with the E30 (the original and best M3, a true track legend), then E46 (the modern classic, S54), and most recently the F8X (modern looks and does everything well, chassis refinements and overall reliability up). The forgettable gens are the E36 (just meh, US got shafted on the motor), E9X (1st and last V8, sounded good but nothing else), and soon to be G8X (distracting grille design). Time will tell but I expect this pattern to hold.
Appreciate 1
CityLife197.50
      07-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #344
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I've said this before but I think it's worth mentioning again. Based on prior success of previous BMW generations, the G8X won't be remembered for anything good except maybe the hideous grille.

The best generations of M3s have happened every other generation and it starts with the E30 (the original and best M3, a true track legend), then E46 (the modern classic, S54), and most recently the F8X (modern looks and does everything well, chassis refinements and overall reliability up). The forgettable gens are the E36 (just meh, US got shafted on the motor), E9X (1st and last V8, sounded good but nothing else), and soon to be G8X (distracting grille design). Time will tell but I expect this pattern to hold.
I disagree... but again, best in this context is subjective. Honestly for me, other than the F80 being the first turbocharged M3(4), it isn't really all that special. It looks nice, sure, but I feel it will be the modern e36: it will become a good track performer in the second/third-hand market like the e36 is today. I feel fewer people will pick up E46 and E9x cars to track and more will begin to scoop them up to collect. The e46 and e9x will stay special for being high-revving NA-equipped cars. Plus the e9x was first M3 to introduce CFRP roof on normal models (non-CSL).

Each gen has its merits for sure but we really can't say the G80 will be a dud before it's even out.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #345
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
I disagree... but again, best in this context is subjective. Honestly for me, other than the F80 being the first turbocharged M3(4), it isn't really all that special. It looks nice, sure, but I feel it will be the modern e36: it will become a good track performer in the second/third-hand market like the e36 is today. I feel fewer people will pick up E46 and E9x cars to track and more will begin to scoop them up to collect. The e46 and e9x will stay special for being high-revving NA-equipped cars. Plus the e9x was first M3 to introduce CFRP roof on normal models (non-CSL).

Each gen has its merits for sure but we really can't say the G80 will be a dud before it's even out.
Well said, I agree on all of that.

And as for the G8X claim to fame? Performance, performance and performance. It looks like it will raise the bar more than any generation to generation before it. No earlier M3 has felt face flattening fast out of the box, I suspect the G8X will.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25174.00
JustChris17545.50
      07-28-2020, 06:58 PM   #346
cisternachyli
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TLX

Quote:
Lol yup; and he’s actually relatively classy compared to the others they have there. One of the guys there spent an hour trying some incorrect math on me, then he asked that I go thank his boss for considering selling me a car; and maybe he’d move on price

Interesting. I had a pretty good experience when I helped my Dad buy his 328i sport back in 2014. No shady business and they gave us a pretty good price. I wonder what changed...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #347
CityLife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisternachyli View Post
Interesting. I had a pretty good experience when I helped my Dad buy his 328i sport back in 2014. No shady business and they gave us a pretty good price. I wonder what changed...
It may have just been the fact that the F80 was in high demand so they felt they could play games with that car, they had 11+ in stock at the time when most dealers had 2 or less, it felt like they were hoarding them.

To make the whole buying experience even more ridiculous, when I mentioned my negative experience with Rusnak to Century West (the other shady dealership in SoCal and home to the $120K Unobtanium base M2), the salesman told me a story about how Paul Rusnak was wanted for tax evasion and not able to come back into the country, this salesman also told me he had a personal lawsuit pending with them. I did not believe any of this, it sounded completely made up, and I have no idea why he would say this. My guess is that as a salesman he was trying to find something in common with the client to gain their trust. I walked out and never serviced another vehicle there again.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #348
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Quote:

I agree with your final point. People calling it a dud having never driven it is just an infantile and premature assessment.
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3576.00
      07-29-2020, 01:54 AM   #349
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Does looks somewhat appealing
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25174.00
      07-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #350
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
I agree with your final point. People calling it a dud having never driven it is just an infantile and premature assessment.
I agree that its too early to know. I'm sure performance-wise it will be a step forward no doubt. BMW engineering knows what they're doing. But style-wise, its safe to say the reception so far hasn't been so kind. We've been beating this horse dead for a while now but when styling is too controversial, it distracts and takes away from the true merits of the car, which is about the performance. Similarly, reliability issues also detract from overall performance. Just look at the Giulia. People can look past a sucky infotainment system because no car is perfect, but they start to notice when a car can't stay out of a shop for a few weeks at a time. Same thing applies here with the G8X.

BTW, I don't know too many infants who can operate a car so maybe we can dial back the hyperbole a bit lol
Appreciate 2
JTO245276.00
CityLife197.50
      07-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #351
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
I agree that its too early to know. I'm sure performance-wise it will be a step forward no doubt. BMW engineering knows what they're doing. But style-wise, its safe to say the reception so far hasn't been so kind. We've been beating this horse dead for a while now but when styling is too controversial, it distracts and takes away from the true merits of the car, which is about the performance. Similarly, reliability issues also detract from overall performance. Just look at the Giulia. People can look past a sucky infotainment system because no car is perfect, but they start to notice when a car can't stay out of a shop for a few weeks at a time. Same thing applies here with the G8X.

BTW, I don't know too many infants who can operate a car so maybe we can dial back the hyperbole a bit lol
I know a few infants.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 09:15 AM   #352
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
I made this comment before but I'm wondering if we're getting two different bumpers. Base and Competition differentiator?

We've seen assembly line leaks that had the intake slats exposed but it was speculated that the mesh possibly wasn't installed yet. Now we're seeing running mules, some with and some without.
Yes, this can be seen again in the latest shots of the cars: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1744433
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread