BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-02-2024, 08:53 PM   #1
DrEntropy
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80, X1

Question Gear assist - lift throttle on upshift like normal?

M3 manual question: With the gear assistance (rev matching), on upshift do you lift throttle like you normally would or does it matter?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 09:21 PM   #2
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

The Rev matching function is only for downshift. For upshift is normal.

2011 135i Alpine White DCT N55 All Stock
Built on 10/10 Proud owner since 12/12.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 09:36 PM   #3
DrEntropy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRuben09 View Post
Oh! Lol reminds me of the airplane mechanic joke...
Pilot: "Autoland rough"
Mechanic: "Autoland not installed"

:P
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 10:02 PM   #4
Tony_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRuben09 View Post

This is incorrect, the rev matching function is also for upshifting. What it does is when you shift into a higher gear with the clutch pushed in, the RPMs will drop until they are matched for that gear and the car will hold it at that RPM for like two seconds while you let the clutch out.

I think what OP is asking about is”No Lift shift” which this car does not have.
Appreciate 4
      02-03-2024, 07:38 AM   #5
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

I haven’t tried it yet, but you should be able to speed shift - keep your foot on the throttle and shift. Not best for clutch longevity but it can make you grin when done right.
      02-03-2024, 07:59 AM   #6
elkid23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BG G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_M3 View Post
This is incorrect, the rev matching function is also for upshifting. What it does is when you shift into a higher gear with the clutch pushed in, the RPMs will drop until they are matched for that gear and the car will hold it at that RPM for like two seconds while you let the clutch out.

I never noticed this. Had my car for almost 2 years 🤣 will have to do some testing today
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 09:48 AM   #7
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Just turn that junk off and learn to drive a manual normally. Lol
Appreciate 3
      02-03-2024, 10:26 AM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEntropy View Post
M3 manual question: With the gear assistance (rev matching), on upshift do you lift throttle like you normally would or does it matter?

Cheers!
You must lift off the throttle during shifts.
      02-03-2024, 11:26 AM   #9
DrEntropy
Rep

Thanks all, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 12:36 PM   #10
bimmerCHAOS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 6MT... with a MOONROOF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkid23 View Post
I never noticed this. Had my car for almost 2 years 🤣 will have to do some testing today
Yeah, same! (I've only had mine 8 weeks rather than almost 2 years; but I've put over 3k miles on it already, despite working mostly out of my house rather than having to commute anywhere. )

I'd always understood the rev-matching (gearshift assistant) only to apply in downshifting scenarios, so you can cheat on needing to do any heel-toeing.

I had played with it a little out of curiosity, and it certainly didn't appear that there was any different or atypical behavior when depressing the clutch for an upshift and staying [partially] on throttle. Instead, the revs stayed exactly where they were (based on how much throttle I was giving it while in 'neutral'), and when the next highest gear was engaged, the revs simply settled in as you'd expect, without the car affecting throttle/RPM in any appreciable way.

But we definitely don't have anything like true no-lift shift on these. (You can do as Adcampo suggested, which essentially is what I was playing around with when testing things out ... but you're definitely risking a shorter clutch life.)

So now I'm really curious if I've just never noticed this upshift 'intervention' of the gearshift assist, but it actually exists? Could've sworn the Gearshift Assistant only functions in downshift situations....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 12:57 PM   #11
Tony_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerCHAOS View Post
Yeah, same! (I've only had mine 8 weeks rather than almost 2 years; but I've put over 3k miles on it already, despite working mostly out of my house rather than having to commute anywhere. )

I'd always understood the rev-matching (gearshift assistant) only to apply in downshifting scenarios, so you can cheat on needing to do any heel-toeing.

I had played with it a little out of curiosity, and it certainly didn't appear that there was any different or atypical behavior when depressing the clutch for an upshift and staying [partially] on throttle. Instead, the revs stayed exactly where they were (based on how much throttle I was giving it while in 'neutral'), and when the next highest gear was engaged, the revs simply settled in as you'd expect, without the car affecting throttle/RPM in any appreciable way.

But we definitely don't have anything like true no-lift shift on these. (You can do as Adcampo suggested, which essentially is what I was playing around with when testing things out ... but you're definitely risking a shorter clutch life.)

So now I'm really curious if I've just never noticed this upshift 'intervention' of the gearshift assist, but it actually exists? Could've sworn the Gearshift Assistant only functions in downshift situations....
Here’s the experiment to do. When you’re in 2nd gear, accelerate to about 4k rpm. Push the clutch in and move the gear lever into 3rd. While keeping the clutch pushed all the way in, you’ll notice the RPMs start to drop normally but then they will stop dropping as the car wil hold it at the exact rpm for 3rd gear for the speed you are going. It only does this for a few seconds; afterwards the rpms will continue to fall towards idle speed.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2024, 01:05 PM   #12
bimmerCHAOS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here’s the experiment to do. When you’re in 2nd gear, accelerate to about 4k rpm. Push the clutch in and move the gear lever into 3rd. While keeping the clutch pushed all the way in, you’ll notice the RPMs start to drop normally but then they will stop dropping as the car wil hold it at the exact rpm for 3rd gear for the speed you are going. It only does this for a few seconds; afterwards the rpms will continue to fall towards idle speed.
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Another excuse to get in the car today.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 03:07 PM   #13
bimmerCHAOS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yep, you were right (as you knew, of course): I can confirm with the gear shift assistant on, if you depress the clutch to upshift the RPMs do indeed adjust/hover for a moment or two at the correct level to enable the smoothest possible upshift. I suppose on some level I did actually notice this before, because I commented to my 18yo son (when teaching him how to drive the manual) that it seemed strange how on the upshifts the transmission didn't seem nearly as sensitive to the speed at which you pull off the clutch, as it 'normally' would be. (In other words, he was pulling off it with less finesse than should have been necessary on a regular basis, but the car wasn't lurching at all in those situations ... because obviously the gearshift assistant already had put the RPMs where they needed to be on the upshift to avoid any real whiplash.)

Guess I need to shut that off next time he's practicing, so he can learn to drive it the right way!!

Thanks again for the info/insight.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:12 AM   #14
Tony_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerCHAOS View Post
Yep, you were right (as you knew, of course): I can confirm with the gear shift assistant on, if you depress the clutch to upshift the RPMs do indeed adjust/hover for a moment or two at the correct level to enable the smoothest possible upshift. I suppose on some level I did actually notice this before, because I commented to my 18yo son (when teaching him how to drive the manual) that it seemed strange how on the upshifts the transmission didn't seem nearly as sensitive to the speed at which you pull off the clutch, as it 'normally' would be. (In other words, he was pulling off it with less finesse than should have been necessary on a regular basis, but the car wasn't lurching at all in those situations ... because obviously the gearshift assistant already had put the RPMs where they needed to be on the upshift to avoid any real whiplash.)

Guess I need to shut that off next time he's practicing, so he can learn to drive it the right way!!

Thanks again for the info/insight.
No problem. I have some suspicions that this feature results in rev hang and that the rpms would drop quicker if the feature was turned off, but haven’t had a chance to fully test this yet. Maybe I’ll get around to it this weekend and will post what I find.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 09:55 PM   #15
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:

I stand corrected! One learn something new everyday. This is so subtle that I didn’t noticed it until I read it from you. So thank you for that!

2011 135i Alpine White DCT N55 All Stock
Built on 10/10 Proud owner since 12/12.
Appreciate 0