BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-23-2024, 12:18 AM   #23
christianb5s4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobster3 View Post
Got the car a week ago, I have the exactly the same. More pronounced since I lowered the front and put on larger wheels….
I'm going to be on MP HAS next week, if it makes it more persistent and I track it down I'll let you know.
Appreciate 1
Tobster3630.50
      02-23-2024, 02:53 AM   #24
shadowredlev
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 6MT Chalk/Fiona

So my brother and I looked at the car, and we noticed some weird stuff, so for one, on the passenger side dash the rattling, where the footwell vent is the vent is completely loose so it’s just rattling around there, holding it down stopped that rattle, so 1 rattle down

Still can’t figure out the driver vent area rattle, it may be the screen but I’m not too sure if it’s that but I’ll try to touch around that area as I drive to work in the morning

The rear rattle is what’s tripping me out, it looks like the cables that you pull to drop the seats in the trunk, they are rattling, the metal that’s in closed in the plastic tube is rattling as I drive

Will bring these up during service hopefully they have answers for me
Appreciate 2
CSBM52721.00
rz9990.00
      02-23-2024, 10:15 AM   #25
nunzo
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Rep
Drives: germans

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW M3  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax327 View Post
Mine started this as well when I installed my non resonated midpipe and valve controller.
I have a valve controller, going to install my MAD midpipe in this nice spring like PGH weather we're having.
1994 318i - alpine white / Super Touring Project
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 12:29 PM   #26
christianb5s4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowredlev View Post
Still can’t figure out the driver vent area rattle, it may be the screen but I’m not too sure if it’s that but I’ll try to touch around that area as I drive to work in the morning
Just buy this and start applying as you see fit: https://www.amazon.com/Tesas-Advance...s%2C181&sr=8-3

For the driver's side, check your cubby and the plastic shielding above the pedals. On bigger or harsh bumpers for me, those two can make noise.
M4Tejas788.00
      02-23-2024, 01:21 PM   #27
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I have the rear parcel shelf rattle that is driving me crazy! Its like plastic on plastic rattling. Any crack in the road or bumps in road cause mine to rattle. If road is smooth, I dont hear it. Its super annoying. Dealer of course could not replicate it and did nothing for me about it.

But I did get a PDF from the shop foreman on how to disasemble it so I can look into myself.
      02-23-2024, 02:06 PM   #28
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSuchSol View Post
Had a buzzing noise in the back.... it's the rear deck lid where it meets the rear glass. I haven't gone back to the dealership yet but I want something a little more permanent BUT I got some foam tape and shoved it between the deck lid and glass.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...C21H/100067266
I had the same issue a while back and the dealership removed back shelf and added some felt. No more issues.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
NoSuchSol167.50
      02-23-2024, 02:21 PM   #29
mieh100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW x7

I have had some issues as well like yours . I ended check all the rear seats to make sure they were clicked in all the way and 1 was not . The upper clips for the seatbelt were not seated well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:06 PM   #30
shadowredlev
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
Just buy this and start applying as you see fit: https://www.amazon.com/Tesas-Advance...s%2C181&sr=8-3

For the driver's side, check your cubby and the plastic shielding above the pedals. On bigger or harsh bumpers for me, those two can make noise.
Will do I’ll order that and see what I can do before taking it in to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:08 PM   #31
shadowredlev
Private First Class
Rep

Would anyone mind taking a picture of the inside part of your trunk but the top part where you can see the cables for the seat release? I have a feeling those cables are making the noise I’m hearing but it looks bare, I’d assume BMW would put something around them to keep them from making noise
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:24 AM   #32
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
I think I’ve pin pointed the rattle to the rear deck some where. Pounding around back there, the rear deck cables could be the culprit but not sure yet. It’s only when I hit the gas a certain rpm’s that it does it. I have a mad non resonated midpipe and valve controller.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:36 AM   #33
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
My ‘24 G82 has a rattle from somewhere in the dash that is driving me crazy! The dealer said it was the console lid so they put a piece of felt tape where is latches. That did not solve the issue. Sounds like it’s the screen to me. I need to get some audio of it. I don’t want them tearing up my dash but it’s a shame. This is the most expensive car I’ve ever purchased and the dash rattles are killing me. My ‘22 X3M was dead quiet inside.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 01:49 AM   #34
shadowredlev
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax327 View Post
I think I’ve pin pointed the rattle to the rear deck some where. Pounding around back there, the rear deck cables could be the culprit but not sure yet. It’s only when I hit the gas a certain rpm’s that it does it. I have a mad non resonated midpipe and valve controller.
Yeah I have a valve tronic single mid pipe, with a valve controller, when in m1 or m2 mode with the valves open when accelerating once I hit 4k rpms it buzzes/rattles in the back, my brother and I think its the seat release cables, rattling inside of its plastic shell, may need to remove them to see if I notice it making the sound still
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 01:50 AM   #35
shadowredlev
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
My ‘24 G82 has a rattle from somewhere in the dash that is driving me crazy! The dealer said it was the console lid so they put a piece of felt tape where is latches. That did not solve the issue. Sounds like it’s the screen to me. I need to get some audio of it. I don’t want them tearing up my dash but it’s a shame. This is the most expensive car I’ve ever purchased and the dash rattles are killing me. My ‘22 X3M was dead quiet inside.
my console lid also rattles, ill be showing them that too, maybe if they fix that too that would be cool, but besides that on the bottom of my passenger side, the footwell vent is loose/rattles, and also the area by the driver vent/left side of screen rattles, drives me nuts
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 04:34 AM   #36
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I have a valve tronic single mid pipe, with a valve controller, when in m1 or m2 mode with the valves open when accelerating once I hit 4k rpms it buzzes/rattles in the back, my brother and I think its the seat release cables, rattling inside of its plastic shell, may need to remove them to see if I notice it making the sound still
When I pound on the things in rear it definitely sounds like it’s coming from the cable release. For me though, when I put it in m1 or m2, the noise is hardly noticeable compared to comfort mode with valves fully open.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 03:03 PM   #37
kit_az
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4

I've got one rattle that sounds like it's coming from inside my steering wheel (or maybe the steering column? it's real unclear) that drives me nuts. A few other small ones, but they're quiet enough they don't bother me too much.

My sunglasses also rattled like mad in the little cubby. Wish it had some felt lining or something instead of just bare plastic. Ended up just shoving a microfiber cloth in there to clean the screens with and that stopped that, at least.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 06:11 PM   #38
Ankarah
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Sometimes, the noise isn’t actually from where you think they are coming from.

I was absolutely sure my front speaker behind the curved screen was making rattles whenever I was on bumpy roads and it annoyed the hell out of me.
Turns out that it was actually the child safety seat’s belt buckle that was banging against the rear window. 🤣🤣

Make sure you don’t have any accessories or other objects that could be the source of your rattles before you start taking it to dealership to start taking it apart.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 06:48 PM   #39
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
I have the theory…When I purchased my prior G82 I drove it home over 160 miles and did not hear any rattles. Even after a few hundred miles I didn’t hear any rattles. Then I disabled ASD and that appears to be when I started hearing all the rattles. (I did not make the possible connection here)

I took the M4C in for the 1200 mile service. One of the items, aside from the rattles, was that my iDrive would freeze once and a while. They updated it to 11.2023. They also found the center console rattled. They fixed that. Driving home the rattles were gone. One of the first things I did was to disable ASD again. Shortly after I noticed the rattles returned. I never made any possible connection between disabling ASD and the rattles and just decided I would have to live with it….

Fast forward 6 months I sold my ‘24 M4C DG. I wanted a manual so I picked up a ‘24 M4 IOMG. We drove it home over 60 miles and both my wife and I were relieved that there were no rattles! One of the first things I did was to disable ASD and guess what? Now my new ‘24 rattles as bad as my prior car. It was then that I started thinking, “could ASD be masking all the rattles in the interior?” I’m planning to use a BimmerCode backup to restore ASD and see if my theory is correct this weekend.

I know, sounds crazy but technically creating white-noise with ASD is kind of what it does with pumping in the fake engine sound. May just be a sheer coincidence.🤷‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 10:23 PM   #40
shadowredlev
Private First Class
Rep

So just a quick update, the dealer jacked me around, I informed the advisor of the rattles and what is making noises, in no way did I once mention the noise when accelerating just when going over bumps

At first the tech made a video saying I "voided" my rattle noise warranty because my suspension is aftermarket, then after claimed my mid pipe is what is making the car rattle, saying all rattle noises are all non warrantable now

I got heated, I texted the advisor saying the suspension is a Port installed m performance option and that its not aftermarket, to which he replied "and the exhaust" I was FUMING I texted them saying how would an exhaust cause rattles when going over bumps, it has nothing to do with my exhaust

in the end I randomly got a text saying my car is ready, low and behold they fixed the passenger side dash rattle, like I told them, the vent was loose, so they rescued it, and they fixed the glove box rattle by shoving foam tape really crappy on top of the latch, it looks so janky, makes me worry about the quality of work the tech can't follow a simple TSB and install tape properly how would he do my break in service properly

Anyway for the other rattles they claimed they could not verify it and let me on my way

Ill be removing their "fix" for the center console rattle by removing the tape and putting some thick felt tape nicely, then try to pinpoint the rear rattles with my brother, lets see what we can find

I just now hope they did not Flag my car due to the mid pipe
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 12:32 AM   #41
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
So just a quick update, the dealer jacked me around, I informed the advisor of the rattles and what is making noises, in no way did I once mention the noise when accelerating just when going over bumps

At first the tech made a video saying I "voided" my rattle noise warranty because my suspension is aftermarket, then after claimed my mid pipe is what is making the car rattle, saying all rattle noises are all non warrantable now

I got heated, I texted the advisor saying the suspension is a Port installed m performance option and that its not aftermarket, to which he replied "and the exhaust" I was FUMING I texted them saying how would an exhaust cause rattles when going over bumps, it has nothing to do with my exhaust

in the end I randomly got a text saying my car is ready, low and behold they fixed the passenger side dash rattle, like I told them, the vent was loose, so they rescued it, and they fixed the glove box rattle by shoving foam tape really crappy on top of the latch, it looks so janky, makes me worry about the quality of work the tech can't follow a simple TSB and install tape properly how would he do my break in service properly

Anyway for the other rattles they claimed they could not verify it and let me on my way

Ill be removing their "fix" for the center console rattle by removing the tape and putting some thick felt tape nicely, then try to pinpoint the rear rattles with my brother, lets see what we can find

I just now hope they did not Flag my car due to the mid pipe
There's no flagging the car because of that. Unfortunately your dealer seems to be the more shady of the variants. Perhaps someone else in the LA area can recommend a less shady dealer that's still in your area.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 12:50 AM   #42
christianb5s4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit_az View Post
I've got one rattle that sounds like it's coming from inside my steering wheel (or maybe the steering column? it's real unclear) that drives me nuts. A few other small ones, but they're quiet enough they don't bother me too much.
The steering wheel one I'd bet is the plastic cover under the dash, driver's side. I wedged foam in there to stop it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 08:56 AM   #43
nunzo
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Rep
Drives: germans

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW M3  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [9.83]
Found one of my rattles - if the passenger carbon bucket is moved more forward, the seatbelt rattles against the carbon back.
1994 318i - alpine white / Super Touring Project
Appreciate 1
bri10425937.00
      03-19-2024, 11:36 AM   #44
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
I have the theory…When I purchased my prior G82 I drove it home over 160 miles and did not hear any rattles. Even after a few hundred miles I didn’t hear any rattles. Then I disabled ASD and that appears to be when I started hearing all the rattles. (I did not make the possible connection here)

I took the M4C in for the 1200 mile service. One of the items, aside from the rattles, was that my iDrive would freeze once and a while. They updated it to 11.2023. They also found the center console rattled. They fixed that. Driving home the rattles were gone. One of the first things I did was to disable ASD again. Shortly after I noticed the rattles returned. I never made any possible connection between disabling ASD and the rattles and just decided I would have to live with it….

Fast forward 6 months I sold my ‘24 M4C DG. I wanted a manual so I picked up a ‘24 M4 IOMG. We drove it home over 60 miles and both my wife and I were relieved that there were no rattles! One of the first things I did was to disable ASD and guess what? Now my new ‘24 rattles as bad as my prior car. It was then that I started thinking, “could ASD be masking all the rattles in the interior?” I’m planning to use a BimmerCode backup to restore ASD and see if my theory is correct this weekend.

I know, sounds crazy but technically creating white-noise with ASD is kind of what it does with pumping in the fake engine sound. May just be a sheer coincidence.��‍♂️
I don't see how what you're describing would be possible. ASD makes fake engine and exhaust sounds. Unless you are driving aggressively, those sounds are barely audible. Certainly not loud enough to mask rattles.
Appreciate 0