home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

03-28-2023, 04:42 AM   #67
RM73
How Low Can You Go
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, M1000RR

Looks great!

Expert@ApexRaceParts can you point me in the direction of a vendor in Europe? Germany or Spain preferably. Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 11:11 AM   #68
chujk1985
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 X Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4T8 View Post

After shopping around & experiencing HELL with other wheel brands/companies, I have to say 3rd time is a charm and I am an APEX Wheels Customer 4 LIFE!

Great wheels, Great customer service, GREAT warranty! And they even LOOK & PERFORM GREAT TOO!!
Any more pics?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:04 PM   #69
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM73 View Post
Looks great!

Expert@ApexRaceParts can you point me in the direction of a vendor in Europe? Germany or Spain preferably. Thank you!
You bet! I built a map that may help a bit: https://apexwheels.com/pages/interna...aler-locations

I'd recommend MKR engineering if you're buying in Germany.

-Tom

Last edited by Expert@ApexWheels; 03-28-2023 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
RM73343.50
      03-28-2023, 12:06 PM   #70
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

APEX | 20" VS-5RS Sprint Line Forged Group Buy - Up to $400.00 off + free shipping*

Our 20” Wheels are back for another community-fueled Group Buy

The Design

VS-5RS

Our popular VS-5RS design is back and bigger than ever before. This Group Buy contains an expansion of established BMW fitments. While we’ve historically focused on compact and efficient fitments that clear massive brakes with smaller wheel diameters, 20” wheels have become a necessity as the cars we support grow larger and more powerful with each successive generation.

We also recognize the massive contingent of our customer base and enthusiast community that appreciates the unmatched performance features and support APEX provides while preferring the aesthetics of larger diameter wheels. Careful optimization of these wheel designs by our engineering team has helped to minimize the weight penalty of a larger diameter wheel while our already stellar brake clearances have significantly improved. These new fitments cover a large range of BMW M chassis across multiple generations and bolt patterns with a few versatile fitments and represent the beginning of our 20” wheel lines. Help us and the Gang unlock the max discount by joining this Group Buy.

5x112 Support:

Our popular 5x112 Fitments are back with staggered width only and staggered diameter/width options for M3/4 as well as non-M models. This Group Buy is the first time our 20” G20 and G42 VS-5RS wheels are being released as well.

This Group Buy includes staggered diameter options built-into the wheel configurator to allow those of you who want to run a 19” front wheel in an OEM+ configuration to do so. M3 and 4 owners can match the factory wheel diameters while simultaneously optimizing wheel widths and weights with a more aggressive lightweight fully-forged setup.

The Details

Fitments

5x112

Dates:

This deal is now live and locks on Tuesday 4/25 2023 at Midnight PST. The wheels are currently scheduled to ship out at the end of May or June depending on the fitment selected. Visit GangUp.com for more information.

More Colors Than Ever Before:

In addition to expanded 20” fitments, this Group Buy is our first forged Sprint Group Buy to offer 5 finishes at launch. Beyond our usual trio of Anthracite, Brushed Clear, and Satin Black we’re adding Satin Bronze and the all new Motorsport Gold to the lineup.

Discount: Up to $400.00 off plus Free Shipping*

Join The Gang

To streamline pledging and fitment selection, we use GangUp to track interest and pledges. This system lets you commit at your preferred discount level and removes the old-school headache of forum threads and email chains as a Group Buy heats up. Watch the video below to learn how GangUp works and how to pledge.

These Group Buys depend on the BMW enthusiast community to succeed. More pledges mean deeper discounts and more competition for popular fitments and finishes. With more finishes offered than any prior forged release and limited inbound quantities make sure you pledge early to get the best possible allocation for your preferred set of VS-5RS 20” wheels.

Do you want to ensure that you receive the Max Discount? Once your pledge is locked in, help expand the Gang and share this deal. More pledges mean deeper discounts for both yourself and your fellow enthusiasts. Be sure to share this deal with anyone that might appreciate a discount on a set of our lightest-ever wheels.

Join Now

More Info

VS5-RS

Gallery

A Fitment For You

We know what fits. From direct bolt-on to Spec Race fitments and everything in between. We've tested extensively to save you the trial-and-error.

View our fitment guides.

Questions?
Call: 925-245-0773
Email: expert@apexraceparts.com
Web: https://apexwheels.com/?utm_source=b...d&utm_term=bmw
Hours: M-F 9a-5p PST

*Free Shipping: This Group Buy offers free shipping to the 48 mainland US states. Buyers who have products shipped to Alaska, Hawaii, APO/FPO, and International destinations will receive a discounted shipping rate.
      03-29-2023, 10:31 PM   #71
richysh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Hi.

I'm assuming going with this set below is the optimal flush fitment for G80?

front 20x10 et8
rear 20x11 et 18

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2023, 01:14 PM   #72
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richysh View Post
Hi.

I'm assuming going with this set below is the optimal flush fitment for G80?

front 20x10 et8
rear 20x11 et 18

Thanks!
Correct, that's our recommended staggered 20" fitment. Tire notes and other alternative options can be found on our fitment guide if needed: https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide

-Tom
      03-31-2023, 07:54 PM   #73
chujk1985
Major
Rep

For a daily driven g80 xDrive, would a square set up be preferred over staggered?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 03:59 PM   #74
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

OEM Tire Sizes

Expert@ApexRaceParts - first thank you for your valuable inputs ... and the Motorsport gold finish looks dope!

Question:
I'm wondering, why you don't list the following staggered combo as a recommended setup:

Front: 19x10 ET12 with tires 275/35-19
Rear: 20x11 ET18 with tires 285/30-20
or
Rear: 20x10 ET8 with tires 285/30-20

imho this would 1:1 reflect the OEM setup, which means xDrive compatible AND most importantly you could take over the OEM tires Michelin PS4S with * -rating, where we now all know, that those tires are far superior than the non-*-rating!

So is there a reason? If not, what wheel would fit better for the rear then - 20x11 ET18 or 20x10 ET8?
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2023, 01:05 PM   #75
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

To add to the questions above - I was considering running 285/20 square on 20x10" ET8 Motorsport Gold APEX VS-5RS Forged BMW Wheel or 19x10" ET12 Motorsport Gold APEX VS-5RS Forged BMW Wheel.

Tire is 285/30/19 or 285/35/20 both are 26.8 diameter and 11.4 width. Going to be trying to run Goodyear Supercar 3. Has anyone had any experience with either of these setups?

or

Go with the staggered fitment. These are going to be dedicated track setup so square allows for balancing wear, but am I giving anything up not going staggered? I ask because I prefer not to make a costly error if I can help it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 06:52 PM   #76
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chujk1985 View Post
For a daily driven g80 xDrive, would a square set up be preferred over staggered?
It depends on your preference honestly. With an xDrive car, wider rear wheels and tires aren't as beneficial because you simply aren't as traction-limited. Square wheels and tires allow you to rotate wheels and tires between the front and rear axles which saves on tire life over the life of the set.

The downside in my opinion comes from the front wheel and tire fitment determining the overall width of the tires you can run. The G8X chassis, like many BMWs can run much wider rear tires than fronts and the front tires on these cars are especially susceptible to rubbing at full lock against the liners with lower offset wheels and wider tires.

If it was my G80 and it was an xDrive car, I'd probably run square 19x10 et25 and 285/35-19 street tires, but I'd deal with some scrub during lock. If I was tracking it and that's what the wheels were for, this would not be my first choice but it can work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
Expert@ApexRaceParts - first thank you for your valuable inputs ... and the Motorsport gold finish looks dope!

Question:
I'm wondering, why you don't list the following staggered combo as a recommended setup:

Front: 19x10 ET12 with tires 275/35-19
Rear: 20x11 ET18 with tires 285/30-20
or
Rear: 20x10 ET8 with tires 285/30-20

imho this would 1:1 reflect the OEM setup, which means xDrive compatible AND most importantly you could take over the OEM tires Michelin PS4S with * -rating, where we now all know, that those tires are far superior than the non-*-rating!

So is there a reason? If not, what wheel would fit better for the rear then - 20x11 ET18 or 20x10 ET8?
Good question. Frankly some of it was a delay on my part. I should add these tire sizes to the guide, but they would still not be my primary recommendation for these cars even if you purchased those wheel sizes.

The benefit of running those tires (275/35-19 front, 285/30-20 rear) is mainly that they let you reuse the tires you already own. This is fine, and I get wanting to save money/be efficient. I’d also say that a star rated PS4S optimized for the car is likely better than a non-star rated PS4S in the same sizes.

The thing to keep in mind is that we didn’t mirror the factory wheels with these fitments. Our wheels are a half inch wider front and rear and lower in terms of offset. They are optimized for wider tires in terms of both size and compound (many tires run wider than other tires even if they have an identical listed size). While the star Michelins have an advantage, I’m certain a 200TW track tire that was 10mm and 20mm wider front/rear would be much faster both as a result of the compound and tread width change.

The setup you mentioned is obviously xDrive compatible since its the OE tire fitment, and you can run it on these wheels, but if I were to recommend a fitment for the wheels, I would go wider to take advantage of the wheel width we’ve built into this fitment. I would not run the 20x10 ET8 in the rear. It would accept the tire fine, but you’d be sacrificing a half inch of rear wheel width compared to the OE wheel for no real reason and the tire would lack sidewalk support. The 20x11 ET18 would be the better choice for the 285. The 285 would be slightly stretched, but once you wore through the OE set, it would be perfect for a wider tire option.

Our goal isn’t targeting BMW OE fitments, at least initially. That would be easy and would be way less work than the documentation, laser scanning, and engineering that goes into our offerings. OE BMW wheels are not terrible and frankly I’d expect most customers that only plan to run the star rated OE tire sizes through their ownership to run the OE wheels in most cases.

Sorry to get long winded. TL: DR here:
Can the OE sizes work on our APEX VS-5RS? Certainly. Should I add them to the guide? I think so, I’ll work on that as time allows. Are they the optimal fitment for the APEX wheels in the sizes we’ve been discussing? In my opinion they are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1by View Post
To add to the questions above - I was considering running 285/20 square on 20x10" ET8 Motorsport Gold APEX VS-5RS Forged BMW Wheel or 19x10" ET12 Motorsport Gold APEX VS-5RS Forged BMW Wheel.

Tire is 285/30/19 or 285/35/20 both are 26.8 diameter and 11.4 width. Going to be trying to run Goodyear Supercar 3. Has anyone had any experience with either of these setups?

or

Go with the staggered fitment. These are going to be dedicated track setup so square allows for balancing wear, but am I giving anything up not going staggered? I ask because I prefer not to make a costly error if I can help it.
I think you got your sidewall/aspect ratios swapped, that should be 285/35-19 and 285/30-20. The goodyears are a solid track tire, but they run really wide. The scrubbing I mentioned above is going to be present when you’ve got the tires on the car.

In your case for a track setup, I’d probably go 19” square for an xDrive model. RWD could do either square or staggered but you’d need to exercise a bit more caution/restraint on throttle as you’re coming out of the corners.

19s will be a bit lighter and potentially cheaper in the long run. One thing to note, I have an aggressive track fitment coming for modified cars, either 18x10.5 ET18 square or 19x10.5 ET18 square (19s required for ccb cars). This setup will rub quite a bit when lock is dialed in, but if the car is getting liner modifications and some alignment changes up front, these might be a better option.

Hope all this helps.

-Tom

Last edited by Expert@ApexWheels; 04-13-2023 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
RM73343.50
      04-14-2023, 12:01 PM   #77
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Expert@ApexRaceParts Hi Tom!

Wow - very comprehensive answer! Much appreciated!

Quote:
Sorry to get long winded. TL: DR here:
Can the OE sizes work on our APEX VS-5RS? Certainly. Should I add them to the guide? I think so, I’ll work on that as time allows. Are they the optimal fitment for the APEX wheels in the sizes we’ve been discussing? In my opinion they are not.
Good summary! Let me add (my interpretation) on that:

If I would go with a staggered 19/20 inch setup of the VS-5RS, I would now choose wheels in 19x10 ET12 and 20x11 ET18.
Initially I would most likely fit it with the Michelin PS4S *-rating in 275/35-19 and 285-30-20.

Later I'll looking for/expecting greater availability of the generic (non OE-rated) Michelin PSS5, which will imho be even better than a PS4S-*-rating!

Then I could maybe/hopefully switch over to Michelin PSS5:
- 285/35-19 front
- 295/30-20 rear

Best of both worlds so to say
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 09:42 AM   #78
dj_intrinsic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6MT

I noticed that the 285/30 20 and 305/30 20 pictures were on a G82 and recommended in your fitment guide. Have you tested fitment on a RWD G80? I know that there might be some rub on the front fender on lock due to the vent fins. But how is the rear setup? Any rubbing with the 305?

Also, I noticed on an older post you offer a gloss Motorsport gold instead of the satin finish, would you guys still have any sets in the 20” fitment?
2023 G80 MT / AW / Fjord Blue/Black | KW HAS | Apex VS5RS F:20x10+8 285/30-20 R:20x11+18 305/30-20 | Maxton Street Pro Splitter | OEM M3CS Grille | SST Valve Controller | CS Style Yellow DRL | MAD Non-Res Single Midpipe
Past: 2018 X3 M40i | 2016 M-Sport X1 | 2013 MT M-Sport 328i | 2021 Audi A6 Allroad
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 03:58 PM   #79
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
Expert@ApexRaceParts Hi Tom!

Wow - very comprehensive answer! Much appreciated!

Good summary! Let me add (my interpretation) on that:

If I would go with a staggered 19/20 inch setup of the VS-5RS, I would now choose wheels in 19x10 ET12 and 20x11 ET18.
Initially I would most likely fit it with the Michelin PS4S *-rating in 275/35-19 and 285-30-20.

Later I'll looking for/expecting greater availability of the generic (non OE-rated) Michelin PSS5, which will imho be even better than a PS4S-*-rating!

Then I could maybe/hopefully switch over to Michelin PSS5:
- 285/35-19 front
- 295/30-20 rear

Best of both worlds so to say
That would be a good option if they become available certainly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_intrinsic View Post
I noticed that the 285/30 20 and 305/30 20 pictures were on a G82 and recommended in your fitment guide. Have you tested fitment on a RWD G80? I know that there might be some rub on the front fender on lock due to the vent fins. But how is the rear setup? Any rubbing with the 305?

Also, I noticed on an older post you offer a gloss Motorsport gold instead of the satin finish, would you guys still have any sets in the 20” fitment?
The 305s fit fairly easily in the rear to be honest and we haven't noticed a significant difference between the G82/3 and G80 in terms of rear clearances. some examples of this combination on g80s:

https://apexwheels.com/gallery/bmw-m...shed-clear-857

https://apexwheels.com/gallery/bmw-m...anthracite-147

For anyone stumbling onto this thread, note that the setups shown above aren't quite xDrive compatible with the 305 rears.

Ignore the wonky wheel sizing, our gallery pages are having trouble with representing staggered diameter fitments.

Regarding the limited edition gloss gold sets, I only have one G8X fitment left for these. It's a 20" front & rear staggered set. We've sold through the staggered diameter 19/20 versions. I'm offering a sizeable discount on those wheels. If you'd like a quote, please email expert@apexraceparts.com with "Gloss Gold G8X quote" in the email subject and your address in the email body and I'll get you that quote!

-Tom
      04-18-2023, 10:02 AM   #80
dj_intrinsic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
The 305s fit fairly easily in the rear to be honest and we haven't noticed a significant difference between the G82/3 and G80 in terms of rear clearances. some examples of this combination on g80s:

https://apexwheels.com/gallery/bmw-m...shed-clear-857

https://apexwheels.com/gallery/bmw-m...anthracite-147

For anyone stumbling onto this thread, note that the setups shown above aren't quite xDrive compatible with the 305 rears.

Ignore the wonky wheel sizing, our gallery pages are having trouble with representing staggered diameter fitments.

Regarding the limited edition gloss gold sets, I only have one G8X fitment left for these. It's a 20" front & rear staggered set. We've sold through the staggered diameter 19/20 versions. I'm offering a sizeable discount on those wheels. If you'd like a quote, please email expert@apexraceparts.com with "Gloss Gold G8X quote" in the email subject and your address in the email body and I'll get you that quote!

-Tom
Thanks for the confirmation on the fitment… also sent out an email last night regarding the Gloss Gold set!
2023 G80 MT / AW / Fjord Blue/Black | KW HAS | Apex VS5RS F:20x10+8 285/30-20 R:20x11+18 305/30-20 | Maxton Street Pro Splitter | OEM M3CS Grille | SST Valve Controller | CS Style Yellow DRL | MAD Non-Res Single Midpipe
Past: 2018 X3 M40i | 2016 M-Sport X1 | 2013 MT M-Sport 328i | 2021 Audi A6 Allroad
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2023, 12:33 PM   #81
wowwitsgau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000 x2, 2022 M3 Comp

Garage List
Trying to finalize my pledge for the group buy... do I need hubcentric rings? I'm finding conflicting information online re the center bore for the G80, is it 66.6 or 72.6?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 12:54 PM   #82
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowwitsgau View Post
Trying to finalize my pledge for the group buy... do I need hubcentric rings? I'm finding conflicting information online re the center bore for the G80, is it 66.6 or 72.6?
G8X is 66.6mm CB, the 5x112 wheels we sell are made for the G8X centerbore and will not require any centering rings. No centering rings will be required for any BMW chassis involved in the Group Buy, the wheels are designed to be direct bolt-on fitments for either 5x120 or 5x112 chassis.

G8X widths/offsets can be identified via the fitment guides linked in my signature.

-Tom
      04-26-2023, 02:25 PM   #83
dj_intrinsic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

G80 got to the paint booth yesterday but these just hit my doorstep and I can’t wait for them to be slapped on! 😍😍😍

Thanks Tom and the team for the quick work on the 20” Limited Gloss Gold set!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      04-30-2023, 06:24 AM   #84
Juice ///M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: RaceCars and Stuff

19x10 ; 275/35 and 295/35 rt660 no issues with rubbing or xDrive. Easy 2:05s at summit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #85
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Hi Everyone,

With the expansion of the VS-5RS into multiple fitments and 18, 19, and 20” diameters specifically for the G8X M3 & 4, we’ve loved seeing APEX wheels on these newer BMW chassis. With that in mind, we’ve been wanting to expand our forged wheel options for these cars, but we need your help identifying your preferred wheel designs and fitments for your chassis.

Edit: This Survey has concluded. Thanks for your feedback!

Please note: this survey is for forged wheels only. We’ll be working on adding flow formed options in the future, but this survey does not include those wheel designs.

Thanks again to everyone who has already provided feedback and/or picked up our VS-5RS or SM-10s!

-Tom and the APEX Team

Last edited by Expert@ApexWheels; 05-16-2023 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:17 PM   #86
chujk1985
Major
Rep

Just ordered the apex vs5rs wheels from the group buy and recently learned of potential issues with mounting PS4S tires and not holding air due to the knurling and Michelin beads. Have anyone reported any issues with the 20” G8x fitments?

I’ve been reading some reports on the Porsche forums.
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1428.50
      05-05-2023, 01:02 PM   #87
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chujk1985 View Post
Just ordered the apex vs5rs wheels from the group buy and recently learned of potential issues with mounting PS4S tires and not holding air due to the knurling and Michelin beads. Have anyone reported any issues with the 20” G8x fitments?

I’ve been reading some reports on the Porsche forums.
Not so far with G8X in any diameters, but definitely reach out if you have any issues with the set to support@apexraceparts.com so we can get you sorted.

-Tom
      08-11-2023, 06:30 PM   #88
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

18" VS-5RS

Wheels:
Forged VS-5RS
Front & Rear: 18x10.5 ET18

Tires:
Nitto NT01
Front & Rear: 305/35-18

Additional Modifications:
KW V3 coilovers
5mm spacers front (required) and rear (optional)
Modified front fender liners or RKP front liners recommend for rub-free fitment when turning

Not compatible with CCBs.

Still Can't Find The Right Picture? Check Out Our Wheel Galleries For More Content!

Last edited by Expert@ApexWheels; 08-14-2023 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 3
Jon H391.50
Mapper182.50