home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-03-2021, 01:32 PM   #243
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Maybe I missed it but did anyone try a variation with an H connector instead of an X?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #244
VonB
Army Welder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3   [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonB View Post
Got a custom midpipe with aftermarket tips done a few months back as well

Does this mid pipe basically just removes the primary resonator?
So with the InkedCustom midpipe I went with, I had the secondary cats and two resonators removed and then custom piping reinstalled. I believe they're some other companies out there that do the same. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
barryc3651956.00
Patton2502939.50
Celestion254.00
OwnerF16852.00
      07-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #245
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Nice branding details from Inked Custom, even if it will rarely be seen. They get it!
Appreciate 1
VonB1119.00
      07-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #246
VonB
Army Welder
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3   [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Nice branding details from Inked Custom, even if it will rarely be seen. They get it!
Thanks and yup, might not be seen but it's there and downpipes coming soon 😎
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #247
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Quote:
Do you feel like this setup is raspy at all? Any drone? It sounds pretty good in the video.

I have my appointment next Friday at my
local shop and still trying to figure out what to do.
      07-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #248
VonB
Army Welder
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3   [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Do you feel like this setup is raspy at all? It sounds pretty good in the video

I have my appointment next Friday at my
local shop and still trying to figure out what to do.
Maybe in the higher rpms (7k) it can get somewhat raspy but for the most part 100 to 6k rpms sounds great, it definitely makes the car more enjoyable to drive IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #249
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
My dealer said adding down pipes with void my warranty. How about yours? Everything else you did they said would be fine. It looks awesome by the way.
Appreciate 1
VonB1119.00
      07-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #250
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I am curious . . .

How many of the main contributors to this thread leave your stereo off when driving?

The acoustic enjoyment gained from these performance vehicles is night and day between stereo on and off.

The thing I have learned with these turbo engines is to appreciate the sound that comes from under the hood more than out the exhaust pipe. I really think the S58 sounds fantastic, and the experience is SIGNIFICANTLY diminished with the stereo on . . . if you prefer, significantly enhanced with the stereo off.

Unless you are driving something to the effect of a GT350, the exhaust acoustics are simply never going to be a (desirable) ‘cabin feature.’ It will always be a spectator’s feature . . . and never approach the tone nor decibels of a naturally aspirated engine that, if honest, everyone is chasing.

You will never turn the G80/82 into a GT350 or 981 GT4. I guess this is my way of suggesting many of you are not giving enough credit to the stock exhaust tone or decibels. The stock tone is really great. A nice deep rumble that, after nearly some 2,500 miles just keeps getting a bit deeper . . . and louder. Spectators love it.

I get it, having given chase myself to arrive where I am at today. Most of you simply want more decibels. I know you also want the naturally aspirated tone, but that is never happening . . . more often than not, you travel the opposite direction in getting more rasp.

So, with the last paragraph in mind, interesting to me that I have yet to hear anyone pursue a muffler delete. The best aftermarket outcome I have yet to experience was placing an AWE Track Exhaust on my Macan Turbo (muffler delete). I say ‘best’ because (1) it had minimal-to-no drone; and (2) actually retained a very nice rumble. . . oh, and it was loud!!!

I am more than satisfied with the G80C acoustic output; not interested in chasing louder or ‘better.’ Still, as an enthusiast, I enjoy following what you gents are chasing . . . really curious to see if anyone goes after a muffler delete?

///AVM
Appreciate 3
VonB1119.00
m20e30871150.00
      07-03-2021, 02:33 PM   #251
VonB
Army Welder
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3   [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
My dealer said adding down pipes with void my warranty. How about yours? Everything else you did they said would be fine. It looks awesome by the way.
Thanks and downpipes will void your warranty if it was cause of damaged to your vehicle. I know for a fact any piggyback or tune will void your warranty that's what my dealer told me. But as far as exhaust they said I'm good to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #252
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

@///AVM

The journey for me tends to have the radio on and off depending on the situation. Mostly off tho.

This car basically lives in 3rd between 4-7k and I've really grown to like that mechanical winding of the engine at those rpm's.

When it comes to exhaust I'd say I've got it nailed with my current setup.

In the beginning I felt the s58 lacked a personality compared to the s55 which was absolutely full of unique things you could make the engine/exhaust do simply by working the throttle a certain way.

Since my delete's this engine has much more character.

It does things that it definitely didn't do before and opens new opportunities to explore and get to know the car while just driving around.

Like just today I found out if I'm in 4th around 3k and I lay on it then left out sharply at 4K it lets loose a blast noise kind of like my s55 used too…

Immature stuff I know, but it's something I can get the car to do while at reasonable speeds that puts a smile on my face, which I'm realizing lately my m2c was full of.
Appreciate 3
      07-03-2021, 03:04 PM   #253
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

@TrentMeister

I do not consider it immature . . . I find the sound of the GT350 intoxicating, as both driver and spectator.

Just nothing we are ever going to get out of these turbo engines . . . which is fine, as they offer other forms of acoustic enjoyment. The wrung out S58 sounds marvelous.

My last post was a long-winded way of saying I enjoy the chase from the sidelines at this point . . . and to inquire if anyone has considered a muffler delete?

Glad you are enjoying your current exhaust setup. I wish I could hear all of these combination setups in person.

///AVM
Appreciate 2
      07-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #254
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Thanks and downpipes will void your warranty if it was cause of damaged to your vehicle. I know for a fact any piggyback or tune will void your warranty that's what my dealer told me. But as far as exhaust they said I'm good to go.
Definitely a piggyback or a tune will void it. As far as downpipe‘s go how can I ever prove one way or the other they did or didn’t cause damage to the engine? I don’t know. I’d love to do downpipe‘s though I can tell you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
@TrentMeister

I do not consider it immature . . . I find the sound of the GT350 intoxicating, as both driver and spectator.

Just nothing we are ever going to get out of these turbo engines . . . which is fine, as they offer other forms of acoustic enjoyment. The wrung out S58 sounds marvelous.

My last post was a long-winded way of saying I enjoy the chase from the sidelines at this point . . . and to inquire if anyone has considered a muffler delete?

Glad you are enjoying your current exhaust setup. I wish I could hear all of these combination setups in person.

///AVM
Me too bro. Me too.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      07-03-2021, 03:49 PM   #255
VonB
Army Welder
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3   [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Definitely a piggyback or a tune will void it. As far as downpipe‘s go how can I ever prove one way or the other they did or didn’t cause damage to the engine? I don’t know. I’d love to do downpipe‘s though I can tell you that.

Quote:
@TrentMeister

///AVM
Me too bro. Me too.
So for example if your engine blows will it be due to exhaust issues or something internal with the engine? Another example would be if you have something wrong with your suspension they cannot pin your downpipes due to the issue with your suspension. Now if you have an exhaust leak and your going in for warranty claim then that's where they can get you for your aftermarket downpipes.
Appreciate 1
OwnerF16852.00
      07-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #256
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
@TrentMeister

///AVM
As I've posted, muffler delete is the only option I'd be interested in: B&B Bullets on my 2 C6s were both fantastic--along with CAI. With the valves permanently open, the sound now is as good as it can get for me. And, as you note, it improves further with added mileage. Will it ever sound like my Corvettes, a GT350 or Mustang GT with Flowmasters? Uhhh, no. But it sounds a hell of a lot better than when I bought it, and cost zero. Down pipes, mid pipes, etc, would change it and I can understand fully the guys who want to go that way. If a muffler delete with a tuned resonator came along, I'd jump on it. Otherwise, quite happy now. I rarely play the stereo--just like in the Vettes. I want to hear what I paid for. Fortunately, rarely need the A/C, so keep the windows open, as well.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      07-04-2021, 01:31 PM   #257
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
I am curious . . .

How many of the main contributors to this thread leave your stereo off when driving?

The acoustic enjoyment gained from these performance vehicles is night and day between stereo on and off.

The thing I have learned with these turbo engines is to appreciate the sound that comes from under the hood more than out the exhaust pipe. I really think the S58 sounds fantastic, and the experience is SIGNIFICANTLY diminished with the stereo on . . . if you prefer, significantly enhanced with the stereo off.

Unless you are driving something to the effect of a GT350, the exhaust acoustics are simply never going to be a (desirable) ‘cabin feature.’ It will always be a spectator’s feature . . . and never approach the tone nor decibels of a naturally aspirated engine that, if honest, everyone is chasing.

You will never turn the G80/82 into a GT350 or 981 GT4. I guess this is my way of suggesting many of you are not giving enough credit to the stock exhaust tone or decibels. The stock tone is really great. A nice deep rumble that, after nearly some 2,500 miles just keeps getting a bit deeper . . . and louder. Spectators love it.

I get it, having given chase myself to arrive where I am at today. Most of you simply want more decibels. I know you also want the naturally aspirated tone, but that is never happening . . . more often than not, you travel the opposite direction in getting more rasp.

So, with the last paragraph in mind, interesting to me that I have yet to hear anyone pursue a muffler delete. The best aftermarket outcome I have yet to experience was placing an AWE Track Exhaust on my Macan Turbo (muffler delete). I say ‘best’ because (1) it had minimal-to-no drone; and (2) actually retained a very nice rumble. . . oh, and it was loud!!!

I am more than satisfied with the G80C acoustic output; not interested in chasing louder or ‘better.’ Still, as an enthusiast, I enjoy following what you gents are chasing . . . really curious to see if anyone goes after a muffler delete?

///AVM
Even with the stereo off you're still getting fake noise. With the fake noise generation coded off I found that the car personally needed more.

If somebody wanted to do something neat they should split the muffler and close up the resonated section for the outer tips. Probably would want to keep at least one resonator tho.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #258
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
Even with the stereo off you're still getting fake noise. With the fake noise generation coded off I found that the car personally needed more. . .
moproblems

I have heard this forever from the Porsche enthusiasts and BMW enthusiasts alike . . . I disagree.

Not that there is no sound 'enhancement,' rather, anyone stating that it sounds artificial or otherwise represents a negative feature.

I think the enhancement feature works fantastic and nobody would ever know such enhancement was there unless they were told . . . or disconnected the sound enhancement, only to discover they need more sound.

It is not fake noise. It is enhanced acoustics. There is a difference.

I am not giving you shit. Just a topic I think falls under the annals of group think garbage. . . and you happened to bring up.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 03:42 PM   #259
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Some of these manifold sound tubes are too loud when you actually want the cabin quiet. Especially in new porsches where they are directly piped to the intake they can also generate resonance or drone if you have a modded exhaust. Same on the 2020 vantage and it was actually causing misfires and bad plugs/coils so after 2021 they took it out. I like my cars loud as fuck but i dont need the added noise or vibrations in the cabin. Just a personal preference and ive physically removed it on my last 3 cars once i figured out how to do it. 100% going to also remove it on my gt3 next year. Headers/opf delete/symposer delete + stock muffler. Its a game changer imo. If i can turn it off with bimmer code i will save some time.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      07-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #260
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

https://www.bimmerfile.com/2015/02/0...-active-sound/

Older article, but explains it very well. It is not "fake" sound, but rather enhanced acoustics as AVM notes. It operates on clearly defined frequencies--not piped in recorded exhaust/engine note from some source. I like it--compliments always open exhaust valves very nicely.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #261
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
So with the InkedCustom midpipe I went with, I had the secondary cats and two resonators removed and then custom piping reinstalled. I believe they're some other companies out there that do the same. [IMG][/IMG]
It’s this set up being sold? Or only in house?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #262
VonB
Army Welder
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3   [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Quote:
It’s this set up being sold? Or only in house?
Hey what's going on and contact Patrick Schaller @ 21inked on Instagram if you can, he will be able to answer that question better.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #263
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

Quote:
Anyone know any competent exhaust shops in the New York / Brooklyn / Queens area who would you would trust to do a nice job on this?
Ditto. I'm in the five boroughs and coming from my e90, M3 this is as quiet as a mouse. I need to hear it…. Like now…. lol

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 03:39 PM   #264
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Just had my resonators deleted with an x-pipe and exhaust valves permanently open by shop.

Car sounds much better now and more alive. The burbles are more noticeable but not obnoxious.
The quality of the stock sound is nicely maintained just amplified

Should have came like this from factory because it's much more enjoyable and still not obnoxiously loud.

This also beats spending 3-4K for a full exhaust system since in my opinion this will be enough for most people without being annoyingly loud
acre22f90529.00