BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-24-2023, 07:32 AM   #23
Mamba
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Comp XDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Ah.. o I feel your pain bro. I am sure you are already running various scenarious in your head wishing you had not parked it there. Hopefully you don’t have to wait for too long to get it repaired. Good luck. 🤞
      04-24-2023, 10:03 AM   #24
Osirisman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is, 2017 m2, 2019 m550

Does the drive recorder switch on during events like this as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 11:04 AM   #25
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Report it to the cops. If there is no downside to not voluntarily leaving a note, they (and others) will keep doing this.

Get a statement in writing from the driver saying they will pay for repairs AND diminished value. Or they can just have it go through their insurance. Someone who has the moral compass that allows them to hit and run can renege on their statement later when they see how much it costs to repair, and how much the diminished value to your car is.
Why would they pay for diminished value if it’s being done privately and not through insurance ?

Whole point of doing it privately is so there is no dimished value
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 11:42 AM   #26
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanBoy94 View Post
Why would they pay for diminished value if it’s being done privately and not through insurance ?

Anyone with a paint thickness meter can figure out which panels were repainted post the original factory paint job. Panel alignment issues also crop up as red flags sometimes. Except in Teslas where they show up from the factory like that (lol).

On a different car, I had under-paint rust bubbles show up more than 10 years later exactly where some body work was done (flawlessly by the dealer themselves).

So there is real diminished value to the OP that may be realized at time of sale. Reporting to carfax or not is secondary.

The whole point of doing it private is only for the at-fault party not to be dinged on their insurance rates. Given how careless they are, this is likely not their first accident, and probably deserve higher rates.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2023, 11:56 AM   #27
JeetG80x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX -Jahre

That's why you order a 2024.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 11:56 AM   #28
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Thats bad and hopefully you are able to resolve the issue with the person.

Think twice before reporting it to the cops. I had a similar thing happen to one of my vehicle last year and initiating a police report resulted in an accident report being tied to the vehicle CarFax. This inturn resulted in a lower value while selling the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 12:25 PM   #29
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I’d still report the hit & run just because he’s an asshole
This right here.
This person sucks.
They don’t give a fck, and thought they could just escape without giving a damn about what they did.

I’d 100% turn em in.
I like my enemies facing me directly, not hiding behind false smiles and friendly accidents.
Appreciate 3
ScullyD5165.50
      04-24-2023, 12:26 PM   #30
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
Parking with cars on both sides is always a throw of the dice. People don’t care and have no idea what their parking next to. It’s amazing to me, even when parking out in left field, how some idiot in a massive truck will park right next to me. Even with dozens of open spots around! I hope they are prosecuted for leaving the scene.
You think that’s an accident that big trucks park next to you in an open parking lot lol?

Amazed that people don’t see this for the passive aggressive Bs that it is.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 12:27 PM   #31
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwd View Post
I have never leased before but this is the kind of thing that makes me think leasing may not be so bad. Someone rear ends me or hits my car in a parking lot and I take an instant and massive depreciation hit. I hope you don’t need to do that.
6 in one, 1/2 dozen the other.
That’s a lot of money to pay to rent a car for 3 years so you don’t lose a bit of money on scratches and dents.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 12:36 PM   #32
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanBoy94 View Post

No, the whole point of doing it privately is so that it doesn't get reported on the offender's insurance and cause their rates to go up. And in this case, it potentially avoids a criminal record for "fleeing the scene".

The car's value will still decrease, because as noted any sophisticated buyer (ie most dealers) will be able to identify the repair even if it didn't hit the Carfax. And if the repairs are being done by a BMW repair center, they'll be in the vehicle's record anyway.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 12:40 PM   #33
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Anyone with a paint thickness meter can figure out which panels were repainted post the original factory paint job. Panel alignment issues also crop up as red flags sometimes. Except in Teslas where they show up from the factory like that (lol).

On a different car, I had under-paint rust bubbles show up more than 10 years later exactly where some body work was done (flawlessly by the dealer themselves).

So there is real diminished value to the OP that may be realized at time of sale. Reporting to carfax or not is secondary.

The whole point of doing it private is only for the at-fault party not to be dinged on their insurance rates. Given how careless they are, this is likely not their first accident, and probably deserve higher rates.
From OP pictures it looks like mostly paint transfer and some scratches of course, can’t see any dents etc to where the panel will need to be replaced.

The respray should be able to be done without taking panel off.

Obviously everyone’s situation is different.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 12:51 PM   #34
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikh.m3 View Post
Yeah. Got the plate and turns out family knows em. He’s paying cash regardless of how expensive it is
There's a word for people like this, and it starts with an A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Good luck. He should pay extra for leaving the scene. You could turn him in and he'd be in some trouble for a hit&run.
Ditto. Wait until after he pays. Because...

Quote:
Someone who has the moral compass that allows them to hit and run can renege on their statement later when they see how much it costs to repair, and how much the diminished value to your car is.
Exactly.

I'm sorry, but anyone that does damage to someone else's property and doesn't "fess up" needs to be punished. Period.

My wife's car has been hit & run numerous times (she's not quite as careful as I am when parking).

There is parallel parking outside of the building where my office is... I have witnessed employees hitting other employee's cars, and not reporting it. Natch I report it to HR.

Also natch, I don't park there any more.

OP, whatever you decide, best of luck to you.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      04-24-2023, 12:53 PM   #35
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
No, the whole point of doing it privately is so that it doesn't get reported on the offender's insurance and cause their rates to go up. And in this case, it potentially avoids a criminal record for "fleeing the scene".

The car's value will still decrease, because as noted any sophisticated buyer (ie most dealers) will be able to identify the repair even if it didn't hit the Carfax. And if the repairs are being done by a BMW repair center, they'll be in the vehicle's record anyway.
It works both ways if you think about it. I’ve been on both sides of the stick in this situation. My fault and not. When it wasn’t my fault, I still wanted to do it privately to protect my car from deminished value. You see? It works both ways. So I wouldn’t want to pay extra premium for deminished value, I’ll just pay that to my insurance company instead and have the car fixed at an authorised dealer. And how would deminished value even be calculated privately? An extra 500 quid? It’s likely to be a lot more than that. It’s not measureable unless you have similar comparables, which is highly unlikely.

Like I said on previous post, everyone’s situation is different.

However in situations like this where the damage is minor and it is, it’s in both drivers interest, at fault or not, to clean up privately.

Larger damages of course changes the whole ball game.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 09:30 PM   #36
M3YEC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition xDrive

Sorry to see this man. I hope she gets fixed asap and you can go back to enjoying your new car!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 10:25 PM   #37
Thelof
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 BSM M4 CS

This is why I avoid taking my car to NPC parking lots. If I do I park FAR away from anyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 11:54 PM   #38
Kid on a Tricycle
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Makes me sick in my stomach that this happened to you.

Let the insurance companies, and in this case, the popo handle this.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 02:52 PM   #39
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
Yea this again reinforces I must park my car at the furthest distance possible of anyone else.
Sure helps having a handicap placard keeping others 5 feet away!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 05:26 PM   #40
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
This right here.
This person sucks.
They don’t give a fck, and thought they could just escape without giving a damn about what they did.

I’d 100% turn em in.
I like my enemies facing me directly, not hiding behind false smiles and friendly accidents.
+1, I’d turn this person in to the cops. They are what’s wrong with society. No need to back into that space at all if you can’t do it right. And they couldn’t care less what happened to your car, probably think you shouldn’t have a car that is that expensive.

I’ve had two people hit my 2022 iX while it’s parked (1 left a note and the other didn’t).
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50