BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

12-20-2022, 05:47 AM   #1
Discstu347
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi/porsche

Winter deliveries

With winter storms in full affect in many areas of the US, is there a way to lay weather forecasts on maps?

I ask because I'm picking up my car out of state in the next few weeks and driving back to the Midwest. Since the car is in summer tires, I need to avoid snow as much as possible (or ship the car if I'm going to face shitty weather)

Curious what others have done to plan out their drives
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 06:43 AM   #2
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I'll be driving back to Chicagoland from PCD - probably in February. Primetime for terrible winter weather.

My plan is to just check weather conditions the morning of and throughout the day for each location I'm planning to pass through. If there's an oncoming storm and it can be avoided then I'll go around it, if not, then may have to call it a day and find a place to spend the night. Not taking any chances with even a light dusting of snow on the ground. I've driven a RWD car on summer tires in the winter before and it's no joke - light dusting of snow on the road turns it into an ice rink.

What this means then is I won't be able to book any hotels in advance on the drive back. So the return drive home will probably be the most spontaneous trip I'll have had since having kids. I'll have a specific route planned that I'd ideally like to take home if the weather cooperates - but am willing to be flexible if it doesn't.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 4
vj1233793.00
John4C870.00
      12-20-2022, 06:50 AM   #3
biglilsteve
Master Chief
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 CX

I’m in MD and picking up my car from PA - about 2.5 - 3 hours. Hopefully taking delivery sometime in the next month. I already have a winter wheel/tire set sitting in my garage, but have just accepted I’m going to need to putt-putt it home on delivery day. It is what it is.
Appreciate 2
Llarry16535.00
      12-20-2022, 07:46 AM   #4
Monkeybob18
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discstu347 View Post
With winter storms in full affect in many areas of the US, is there a way to lay weather forecasts on maps?

I ask because I'm picking up my car out of state in the next few weeks and driving back to the Midwest. Since the car is in summer tires, I need to avoid snow as much as possible (or ship the car if I'm going to face shitty weather)

Curious what others have done to plan out their drives
I’m planning on buying some all seasons and having the dealer throw those on the stock wheels.
Appreciate 1
Llarry16535.00
      12-20-2022, 10:23 AM   #5
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

How far is your drive back and which route are you taking. I would strongly recommend switching to AS before ur drive back if you are worried. Sometimes its not just the snow. Winters in the south can also come with rain with the cold temp. If you are going to pick it up with a passenger, you can still fit the 4 tires in ur car. Check out local discount tire or Costco. They put the tires in plastic bags so as to not dirty ur car. The AS were a blessing when I drove back 900 miles with rain and downpour 90% of the drive back. Dont risk it
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I'll be driving back to Chicagoland from PCD - probably in February. Primetime for terrible winter weather.

My plan is to just check weather conditions the morning of and throughout the day for each location I'm planning to pass through. If there's an oncoming storm and it can be avoided then I'll go around it, if not, then may have to call it a day and find a place to spend the night. Not taking any chances with even a light dusting of snow on the ground. I've driven a RWD car on summer tires in the winter before and it's no joke - light dusting of snow on the road turns it into an ice rink.

What this means then is I won't be able to book any hotels in advance on the drive back. So the return drive home will probably be the most spontaneous trip I'll have had since having kids. I'll have a specific route planned that I'd ideally like to take home if the weather cooperates - but am willing to be flexible if it doesn't.
I really recommend that you reconsider this. When you are driving back you will be taking I26, I40 and I75 before u hit I65. The drive till Knoxville is pretty barren with not much around them. There is no place for you to stop in the mountains except for pulling over with ur hazards on. Its not just the snow but all the rain and the cold weather. It can drop under 40's without snow and still rain. So if you are planning on pulling up and getting a hotel, there arent many until u either hit Ashville or Knoxville. Plus you dont wanna stay at a shady motel with ur brand new car. When you hit I65, u have more room to pull over but there arent many hotels either unless u r getting close to the big cities. Just gas stations. Given the temp drop, you summer will still do poorly on ur drive back even if it doesnt snow given the temp drop. So I would really think twice before you do this
Appreciate 1
wtwo318058.00
      12-20-2022, 10:29 AM   #7
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
How far is your drive back and which route are you taking. I would strongly recommend switching to AS before ur drive back if you are worried. Sometimes its not just the snow. Winters in the south can also come with rain with the cold temp. If you are going to pick it up with a passenger, you can still fit the 4 tires in ur car. Check out local discount tire or Costco. They put the tires in plastic bags so as to not dirty ur car. The AS were a blessing when I drove back 900 miles with rain and downpour 90% of the drive back. Dont risk it
My only reason for not throwing on AS tires before beginning my drive home is because I have a set of AS waiting for me at home, but in different sizes than stock wheels (I'm getting a new set of wheels to throw on to the car).

One thought I've had though, is what if I still go through with putting on AS tires before the drive home and just sell them once I get home. Wonder how much I can recoup reselling used AS tires with only 800 miles on them.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 10:54 AM   #8
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Probably not worth it... Just go slow and get a hotel room and a set of tire socks.
Appreciate 1
Habber3521.00
      12-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #9
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I really recommend that you reconsider this. When you are driving back you will be taking I26, I40 and I75 before u hit I65. The drive till Knoxville is pretty barren with not much around them. There is no place for you to stop in the mountains except for pulling over with ur hazards on. Its not just the snow but all the rain and the cold weather. It can drop under 40's without snow and still rain. So if you are planning on pulling up and getting a hotel, there arent many until u either hit Ashville or Knoxville. Plus you dont wanna stay at a shady motel with ur brand new car. When you hit I65, u have more room to pull over but there arent many hotels either unless u r getting close to the big cities. Just gas stations. Given the temp drop, you summer will still do poorly on ur drive back even if it doesnt snow given the temp drop. So I would really think twice before you do this
Looks like we were replying at the same time

You make good points - I'll have to look into how much I can recoup on AS tires with minimal mileage on them. I plan to drive very conservatively anyway since it's break-in miles, and I have ample experience driving a RWD in the winter on summer tires (went multiple winters on summer tires on my old IS350 RWD back in the day.... don't ask me why).

Appreciate 1
Aalfred2629.50
      12-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #10
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My only reason for not throwing on AS tires before beginning my drive home is because I have a set of AS waiting for me at home, but in different sizes than stock wheels (I'm getting a new set of wheels to throw on to the car).

One thought I've had though, is what if I still go through with putting on AS tires before the drive home and just sell them once I get home. Wonder how much I can recoup reselling used AS tires with only 800 miles on them.
If you have AS in 19 inch square set up, can you get just 2 more 19 inch wheels and have them shipped to the Marriot in Greenville? I almost feel you are better off selling the summers brand new than the used AS. You could fetch $600-800 for the summers and might be worth while to take to the installers ahead to see if they would buy them. That way, you only have to carry 2 wheels on ur way back and not 4 tires+2 wheels. Then when u are back in chi town, you can order the other 2 wheels at home. Just at thought. I know I might be too conservative, but its scary to drive on summers if it rains in the mountains and in the dark. PCD finishes around 3 pm and if you wanna get to Knoxville, its about 3 hrs but with traffic, it will be dark by 5 pm. Once my car swerved to the right when it hit a big puddle coming down the slope which I couldnt see in the dark but with the DWS and traction control, it saved my day. In another occasion, there was standing water in the botton of a slope and everybody had to slow down to a stop and put the hazards on try to get through with about a 8-10 inches of standing water. One thing would be to check the weather before u go and see if its gonna rain. Usually DWS takes about 5-7 days to be available. The Michelins could be had in 3 days. So you can play it accordingly. I would be careful driving towards Chicago once you cross Louisville if the temp is below 40F. Given our current temp, I think its gonna be a cold winter. Its like 12F today here
Appreciate 1
wtwo318058.00
      12-20-2022, 11:20 AM   #11
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you have AS in 19 inch square set up, can you get just 2 more 19 inch wheels and have them shipped to the Marriot in Greenville? I almost feel you are better off selling the summers brand new than the used AS. You could fetch $600-800 for the summers and might be worth while to take to the installers ahead to see if they would buy them. That way, you only have to carry 2 wheels on ur way back and not 4 tires+2 wheels. Then when u are back in chi town, you can order the other 2 wheels at home. Just at thought. I know I might be too conservative, but its scary to drive on summers if it rains in the mountains and in the dark. PCD finishes around 3 pm and if you wanna get to Knoxville, its about 3 hrs but with traffic, it will be dark by 5 pm. Once my car swerved to the right when it hit a big puddle coming down the slope which I couldnt see in the dark but with the DWS and traction control, it saved my day. In another occasion, there was standing water in the botton of a slope and everybody had to slow down to a stop and put the hazards on try to get through with about a 8-10 inches of standing water. One thing would be to check the weather before u go and see if its gonna rain. Usually DWS takes about 5-7 days to be available. The Michelins could be had in 3 days. So you can play it accordingly. I would be careful driving towards Chicago once you cross Louisville if the temp is below 40F. Given our current temp, I think its gonna be a cold winter. Its like 12F today here
So my tires that I have at home are DWS:
285/30/20 front
295/30/20 rear

I'd have to ship the front 2 tires to Greenville, mount them on the rear and buy a pair of 19s for the fronts if I went that route. Then once I get back home, move my rears to my front wheels and mount the 295s on the back wheels.... and sell a set of 4 summer tires plus 2 AS tires (along with the set of 826m bicolor wheels). That's a lot of selling Currently I'm just planning to sell the 4 summers + set of 826m wheels once I get home. (I would have optioned the base 18/19" wheels had I decided on getting a new set of wheels earlier... but that's another story).

I'll weigh my options as I get closer - But current plan is to monitor weather every day, multiple times a day, and only drive in the daytime. I'll be spending a few days in SC after PCD while the car gets PPF installed. So this will likely be a week long trip including the 2-3 days to get home since I'm only driving daytime hours. It'll be a slow and steady trip home... but I guess since it's break-in miles, that works out. But let's see...

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 11:54 AM   #12
cryan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Covered transport? I doubt it would be significantly more expensive than buying extra tires and would simplify logistics a lot.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2629.50
      12-20-2022, 12:09 PM   #13
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Another option .. Stopgap

https://youtu.be/UIN5zYcpq9A

https://youtu.be/eni7OIJnM14

https://youtu.be/8KQHxbzt1gw
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2629.50
      12-20-2022, 12:51 PM   #14
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So my tires that I have at home are DWS:
285/30/20 front
295/30/20 rear

I'd have to ship the front 2 tires to Greenville, mount them on the rear and buy a pair of 19s for the fronts if I went that route. Then once I get back home, move my rears to my front wheels and mount the 295s on the back wheels.... and sell a set of 4 summer tires plus 2 AS tires (along with the set of 826m bicolor wheels). That's a lot of selling Currently I'm just planning to sell the 4 summers + set of 826m wheels once I get home. (I would have optioned the base 18/19" wheels had I decided on getting a new set of wheels earlier... but that's another story).

I'll weigh my options as I get closer - But current plan is to monitor weather every day, multiple times a day, and only drive in the daytime. I'll be spending a few days in SC after PCD while the car gets PPF installed. So this will likely be a week long trip including the 2-3 days to get home since I'm only driving daytime hours. It'll be a slow and steady trip home... but I guess since it's break-in miles, that works out. But let's see...
Yeah thats a lot complicated. I would prob stick to daytime driving and avoid all the hassles. I think if you plan to do multiple stopovers - Asheville, Knoxville, Louisville and Indianapolis, you can do it safely if the weather permits.
Appreciate 1
wtwo318058.00
      12-20-2022, 12:54 PM   #15
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I dont think it snows that much does it? Also it says no faster than 25-30 mile an hr. and not to be driven on clear roads. U might as well park it and call it a day till the roads r cleared...lol
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 12:55 PM   #16
chujk1985
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 X Comp

I’m picking up in Wisconsin and driving about 6-7 hours back to St. Louis. I’m just gonna play it by ear.

Depending on when it actually comes in, I’ll determine when it’s best to actually make the trip in general.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2629.50
      12-20-2022, 01:01 PM   #17
vmalho2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 Comp XDrive

I'll be driving 600 miles north from AL to IL; I expect delivery towards March-April so I should be good, but it always fricken snows randomly in Spring...
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2629.50
      12-20-2022, 01:22 PM   #18
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I dont think it snows that much does it? Also it says no faster than 25-30 mile an hr. and not to be driven on clear roads. U might as well park it and call it a day till the roads r cleared...lol
Was for those other posters... An option to have in the trunk just in case.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2629.50
      12-20-2022, 01:23 PM   #19
smitpatel5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3Comp Xdrive (G80)

To be honest I’m terrified for my 1200+ mile drive back from PCD in SC to Boston MA with stops in DC, Philly, NJ, NY! Bw46 car on the Orion highway landing in Brunswick on 12/26 meaning estimated pickup end of Jan/ beginning of Feb… so peak snow time. Xdrive but ofc on summers and other issue is I will have 4 people in the car including me with our bags and there is no way I can fit my tires if I swap em out. So no choice but to drive back and pray it’s clear. Absolutely do not want to ship the car back (big reason doing the drive is to finish the break in service asap and also enjoy the car since waiting from March and memories with the friends and gf coming along) worst case find a hotel and let it pass by? I plan on spending the night in DC and/or NJ before I shoot over to MA. The reason I’m more worried is my car prior to this one was a 2018 cla45 amg and it was 4wd but still got totaled in mild winter conditions since I hit a patch of black ice on a turn going a bit faster then I should have. Really humbling exp and reminder 4wd dosent make you innvicible. I was on brands new all seasons. Ofc bmw xdrive will be much better traction system and this time I plan on rocking full proper winter tires. But yeah haven’t owned a car since January 2022 when this happened but yeah rant over stupid excited for my first bmw but really hope safe journey back!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
wtwo318058.00
Aalfred2629.50
      12-20-2022, 01:35 PM   #20
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitpatel5 View Post
To be honest I’m terrified for my 1200+ mile drive back from PCD in SC to Boston MA with stops in DC, Philly, NJ, NY! Bw46 car on the Orion highway landing in Brunswick on 12/26 meaning estimated pickup end of Jan/ beginning of Feb… so peak snow time. Xdrive but ofc on summers and other issue is I will have 4 people in the car including me with our bags and there is no way I can fit my tires if I swap em out. So no choice but to drive back and pray it’s clear. Absolutely do not want to ship the car back (big reason doing the drive is to finish the break in service asap and also enjoy the car since waiting from March and memories with the friends and gf coming along) worst case find a hotel and let it pass by? I plan on spending the night in DC and/or NJ before I shoot over to MA. The reason I’m more worried is my car prior to this one was a 2018 cla45 amg and it was 4wd but still got totaled in mild winter conditions since I hit a patch of black ice on a turn going a bit faster then I should have. Really humbling exp and reminder 4wd dosent make you innvicible. I was on brands new all seasons. Ofc bmw xdrive will be much better traction system and this time I plan on rocking full proper winter tires. But yeah haven’t owned a car since January 2022 when this happened but yeah rant over stupid excited for my first bmw but really hope safe journey back!
Glad you got out of that ok. Yeah that black ice is just one of those things nothing can be done about. Doesn't matter if you have snow tires on AWD... black ice doesn't care. Best thing to do would be to just keep your driving to daytime driving.

Appreciate 1
      12-20-2022, 01:38 PM   #21
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalho2 View Post
I'll be driving 600 miles north from AL to IL; I expect delivery towards March-April so I should be good, but it always fricken snows randomly in Spring...
Yeah this is why I'm going the AS tire route especially since I don't plan to track the car Just when you think it's safe and you've put your summer tires on after a 70 degree weekend, boom random blizzard 3 days later.

I'm not sure why I still live in Chicagoland....

Appreciate 1
Aalfred2629.50
      12-20-2022, 01:42 PM   #22
smitpatel5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3Comp Xdrive (G80)

Quote:
Glad you got out of that ok. Yeah that black ice is just one of those things nothing can be done about. Doesn't matter if you have snow tires on AWD... black ice doesn't care. Best thing to do would be to just keep your driving to daytime driving.
Yeah end of the day everyone walked away okay so that’s all that matters but man that was my first car and I freaking sucked but hey withought that happening would be writing in this thread waiting for my 23 M3CX so I guess it all worked out! But yeah best case I can think of is slap AS tires and maybe ship my summers to MA? Lmao I’m sure it’s not cheap to ship tires… also other prob is then I’m stuck with AS tires when I really wanna rock summers and winters
Appreciate 0