BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-22-2022, 07:39 PM   #45
NYCMT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM G80

Funny how different the C&D's take on the manual is from motortrend's.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 07:44 PM   #46
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

i don't know man, i've not seen anyone else in the world hit 2.8s ...

can this be repeated or is it a once in a lifetime experience?
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2022, 07:45 PM   #47
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Wow, this car will have high insurance premiums for sure
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16523.00
      06-22-2022, 07:49 PM   #48
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post

* I'm no genius for making this argument. They likely know it's BS as well, but they also know that posting better numbers generates mouse clicks and drives ad revenue, and earns whatever passes for respect among auto journalists. So they have strong incentive to play along by these standards.
Agree its a BS number but as long as all the cars are tested the exact same way (mags claim industry standard) its still a relevant number at a drag strip.

The real issue is you can't really convert that to a traffic light grand prix as in addition to the roll out factor they are also running on a sticky prepared track. The numbers listed are also the best of a number of runs that are then processed through an algorithm that "standardizes" the output for things like temperature, altitude etc.

Cars RWD like a GT500 Shelby can get killed against an M4C on the street compared to the track launch that will still go to the M4 on the strip but not by so much.

Bottom line its always about traction.

One of the guys here posted a 0-60 Dragy for his M4C 2.90 (1FT) 3.07 standing start

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-22-2022 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2022, 07:54 PM   #49
MCM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC AT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I had my agent price my built M4CxD against my CT4-V Blackwing. +24k difference on sticker, and the M4 adds only $125 per year. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2022, 08:28 PM   #50
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post

And what does it mean anyway

I did 2.0 with a 20 mph roll out
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2022, 08:33 PM   #51
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM4 View Post
Quote:
I had my agent price my built M4CxD against my CT4-V Blackwing. +24k difference on sticker, and the M4 adds only $125 per year. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.
Could be totally different for someone else with the exact cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 08:55 PM   #52
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
The clock doesn't start on acceleration runs right when the vehicles start rolling. This practice, which is commonly called rollout, comes from the drag strip, where it's possible for a car to travel a foot or more before it trips the timing light that actually starts the clock.

The industry standard calls for a one-foot rollout before a timed run begins. Our old test equipment couldn't measure that precisely, so we approximated a foot by beginning our runs at 3 mph. That was a fair estimate when cars didn't launch as hard as they do today, but gains in traction, launch control, and horsepower have rendered our 3-mph approximation increasingly obsolete. Our GPS-based Racelogic VBox test equipment is accurate enough to measure the first foot of rollout, so starting with the December 2019 issue, we're changing our acceleration reporting.

Lining up a vehicle at a drag strip requires careful placement of the front tires relative to two beams of light. When a car's front tire crosses the first one, a "prestage" warning is lit. When the tire interrupts the second beam—the "stage beam," which is seven inches ahead—the car is staged and ready for a run. The clock starts when the car's tire moves enough to uncover the second light beam. The distance the car travels before the stage beam is uncovered (and therefore the timing begins) is what's known as rollout, and it can vary from nothing to more than a foot. Obviously, this affects the elapsed time, sometimes by as much as 0.3 second. Our testing now adopts the industry-standard one-foot rollout.
Do you work for a car magazine? Or (as I assume) are you just quoting C/D's testing regiment?

Yes, I'm familiar with the background and rationale for the 1-foot rollout. In the olden days when testing equipment was crappy -- and cars accelerated far slower -- excluding the rollout was a reasonable, and made a negligible difference. And it makes sense for normalizing quarter mile times at the drag strip when racing another car.

But it's still not 0-60, and it's still highly misleading. At the end of the one-foot mark, a hard-charging car (like the M4 xDrive) is going 5-6mph. So it's not 0-60, but 5-60 with a running start. In the quarter mile, a foot represents a fairly small chunk of the race (1/1320, or 0.075%). But in 0-60, 0.2s represents 7% of the time to get to 60! The faster a car is, the faster it's going after a foot, the less time it needs to get to 60, and therefore the more misleading this rollout is. Yes, the auto rags all do it*, but it's still BS.

* I'm no genius for making this argument. They likely know it's BS as well, but they also know that posting better numbers generates mouse clicks and drives ad revenue, and earns whatever passes for respect among auto journalists. So they have strong incentive to play along by these standards.
The faster the car is in their article, the more clicks. Just like this post. We know how fast the car is, but it made the front page with the time in the headline.

Appreciate 3
      06-22-2022, 08:56 PM   #53
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM4 View Post
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I will def price it out and hope for the best
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 09:02 PM   #54
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Physics. Plenty of books written on it for you to browse.
I thought you were an attorney, not engineer.

You just can't drop an allegation that use of Launch Control will grenade the drivetrain and then walk away referring me to an unnamed physics book....

Unless of course you don't have any evidence that it causes long term damage to the drivetrain, other than speculation.

And if it's just speculation, that's cool. But completely worthless.

I speculate that it sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. So provide some evidence of your claim, or my speculation will turn to certainty.
      06-22-2022, 09:08 PM   #55
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it's the base model.

The clock doesn't start on acceleration runs right when the vehicles start rolling. This practice, which is commonly called rollout, comes from the drag strip, where it's possible for a car to travel a foot or more before it trips the timing light that actually starts the clock.

The industry standard calls for a one-foot rollout before a timed run begins. Our old test equipment couldn't measure that precisely, so we approximated a foot by beginning our runs at 3 mph. That was a fair estimate when cars didn't launch as hard as they do today, but gains in traction, launch control, and horsepower have rendered our 3-mph approximation increasingly obsolete. Our GPS-based Racelogic VBox test equipment is accurate enough to measure the first foot of rollout, so starting with the December 2019 issue, we're changing our acceleration reporting.

Lining up a vehicle at a drag strip requires careful placement of the front tires relative to two beams of light. When a car's front tire crosses the first one, a "prestage" warning is lit. When the tire interrupts the second beam—the "stage beam," which is seven inches ahead—the car is staged and ready for a run. The clock starts when the car's tire moves enough to uncover the second light beam. The distance the car travels before the stage beam is uncovered (and therefore the timing begins) is what's known as rollout, and it can vary from nothing to more than a foot. Obviously, this affects the elapsed time, sometimes by as much as 0.3 second. Our testing now adopts the industry-standard one-foot rollout.
Very interesting, thanks for posting that!

So Dragy times would not have this "roll-out" factored in?

And is your belief that the C&D time is a "roll-out" drag strip time?
      06-22-2022, 09:26 PM   #56
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
I thought you were an attorney, not engineer.

You just can't drop an allegation that use of Launch Control will grenade the drivetrain and then walk away referring me to an unnamed physics book....

Unless of course you don't have any evidence that it causes long term damage to the drivetrain, other than speculation.

And if it's just speculation, that's cool. But completely worthless.

I speculate that it sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. So provide some evidence of your claim, or my speculation will turn to certainty.
Why are you stalking me?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 09:32 PM   #57
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:

Yeah, was this downhill!?! Lol
I haven't read those figures anywhere else…
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2022, 09:37 PM   #58
Asthenis
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw G16, Maserati Ghibli SQ4

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
That 60mph time seems a bit unreal, just like their 2.1 time for the 911 turbo s lightweight.
Agreed, makes no sense to me, also checking on the official Build and price of this specific car and numbers are 0-60 3,7 sec. they must be VERY conservative !
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 09:45 PM   #59
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
For your drive train
We’re going to have to take our chances here I suppose, there’s no going back now LC is just too cool
      06-22-2022, 09:50 PM   #60
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:

They say it’s 3.0 as the rest of us measure it. Iirc best I’ve seen on this forum was 3.1x stock. Fastest I’ve gone is 3.2, on pirellis
      06-22-2022, 09:53 PM   #61
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Why are you stalking me?
So I take it that's a "no evidence to support the claim."

Gotcha.

And it wasn't me who called you out in that other thread.
      06-22-2022, 09:59 PM   #62
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
Yea C&D numbers are always crazy, you telling me a stock M4 is faster than a M5 in a 1/4mile. M5 could pull 11.0 on a prepped surface not an M4. And show me any video of M4/M3 doing anything less than 3.4.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 10:05 PM   #63
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
So I take it that's a "no evidence to support the claim."

Gotcha.

And it wasn't me who called you out in that other thread.
Just curious, have you ever bothered to read your owner's manual? Not a physics textbook, your owner's manual. I'm sure even you can manage that.

Here let me hold your hand...

Under the Launch Control section:

"General Use of Launch Control causes premature component wear, as the function subjects the vehicle to very high stresses and loads. Do not use Launch Control when running in. When starting with Launch Control, do not turn the steering wheel."
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2022, 10:09 PM   #64
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBravo View Post
Yea C&D numbers are always crazy, you telling me a stock M4 is faster than a M5 in a 1/4mile. M5 could pull 11.0 on a prepped surface not an M4. And show me any video of M4/M3 doing anything less than 3.4.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, it's the base model.

Very interesting, thanks for posting that!

So Dragy times would not have this "roll-out" factored in?

And is your belief that the C&D time is a "roll-out" drag strip time?
No, Dragy does not calculate 1ft rollout.

Quote:
The very first post of an xDrive 0-60, long before just about anyone took delivery, Steve Gills car ran a 3.07. Joe Achilles has Dragy video of his 3.1 on the junk UK roads.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1846702

Appreciate 3
jmg18703.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      06-22-2022, 10:10 PM   #65
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Damn that's fast! Even if it's a bit exaggerated because of the rollout etc... still damn fast and impressive.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13463.00
      06-22-2022, 10:12 PM   #66
MCM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC AT4

Quote:
And show me any video of M4/M3 doing anything less than 3.4.
Youtube, the milesperhour guy... 3.1. Also Skyscraper if I recall! I made a post with his review a while back.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13463.00