Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #67
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
Guess it's time to change that screen name of yours.
Haha sadly I should change it. A lot has changed in the last 7 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 05:24 PM   #68
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

A little surprised at how this thread is going. All the warranty talk about tuning I expected but what’s the big deal about Race Chip hardware with Dinan tuning? This isn’t a new concept.

It looks like a mild power bump for a mild price.
Appreciate 4
GixY2K517.00
Poochie9104.50
somer959.50
reNT265.50
      06-21-2022, 08:47 AM   #69
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
Listen I understand you have a job to do here and I'm not trying to stop you from doing it. But there is only so much "calibration" to be done with these map clamp tunes. Maybe you guys should go buy out Carbahn? They at least have flash tuning going on the models now.

That said some of your intakes I've seen released are impressive so kudos on that front.
No refuting that inline tuners are all going to be similar. That is simply a fact. When you are manipulating the same set of select sensors there is only so much range and adjustments that can be made. So they are all likely going to be similar power but are they all the same? No. Finesse (albeit VERY different than true flash calibrations version of finesse) is very much a thing when it comes to piggyback tuning. You are playing within a finite acceptable tolerance range that the factory has allowed you to work within. Touching the "walls" of that range either leads to a CEL or timing being pulled and power to be reduced. Over the years there have been plenty of options out there that have no finesse (shoot for the moon out the gate, are overly agressive in general, have poor tip-in strategies, etc) and rely heavily on the factory engine management to retard timing and keep everything in check. Even just being a bit too aggressive and commanding a bit too much boost can lose you power when riding that fine line of acceptable tolerances. Turning it down half a pound in a certain range could mean the difference between gaining 20 HP or losing 5 as an example. Then there have been devices that use older hardware that just dont have the sampling rate necessary to make for a fluid experience for a completely different type of problem. Again, similar? Yes. Same? No.

For flash tuning -- we have the same coverage as Carbahn (last I checked) with the exception of N63TU2/3 (still in development). Like us, and everyone really, 21+ MY flash coverage is dependent on getting by the newest encryption so both of us are limited to 2020 and older platforms at present. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I know we won't do the overseas thing but I couldnt speak for them. We are very much pushing the boundaries that we are allowed to given legal limitations (emissions primarily) though. Our G chassis B58 software released year and a half ago was the first to offer full E85 support without the need for additional hardware and the first to retain a true remote start. Same can be said for the S63TU4 tune. Our biggest pitfall when it comes to the flash tuning side of things is in an adequate delivery vehicle. Most of it requires some sort of bench flash for the newest stuff which isnt terribly convenient but the handheld is being adapted as quickly as can be for applications it currently does not support (MG1 TriCore namely). Other delivery vehicles are also in development with the goal of having numerous levels of options depending on how in depth you want to go or features desired.

Ultimately everyones desires are different so if you deem the Dinan inline (or flash) solutions aren't your cup of tea then so be it. There are plenty of other options out there that are more aggressive, customizable, have a more preferred delivery mechanism or any number of things that may be of importance to that specific customer. Our/my goal is just to provide information so folks can make an informed decision and be happy with whatever choice they make. The last thing we want is for someone to purchase a Dinan product and be unhappy. That just creates more work. =)
Appreciate 14
bigj505359.00
jballs16549.00
Poochie9104.50
somer959.50
forcefed2561.00
mzcp2681.00
chicagofan0019137.00
m4ml1826.50
Mephisto115.00
city1991230.00
GoodGuyAvi1495.50
ChrisM41617.00
reNT265.50
      06-21-2022, 12:23 PM   #70
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

You guys like to bitch about everything.. It's not a new concept, it's a piggyback tune that mostly picks with the slack within the stock mapping, mostly increasing some boost and correcting the fact that the stock motor runs too lean for emissions reasons.

The fact that it's backed by Dinan and not some fly by night company is all I need to know to give it a whirl and keep my factory warranty.. I hope one is available for the G87..
Appreciate 7
bigj505359.00
forcefed2561.00
GixY2K517.00
r33_RGSport12965.00
city1991230.00
m20e30871150.00
      06-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #71
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
You guys like to bitch about everything.. It's not a new concept, it's a piggyback tune that mostly picks with the slack within the stock mapping, mostly increasing some boost and correcting the fact that the stock motor runs too lean for emissions reasons.

The fact that it's backed by Dinan and not some fly by night company is all I need to know to give it a whirl and keep my factory warranty.. I hope one is available for the G87..
I don't get the backlash either, it's another option, cheaper and with similar results. What's to complain about? Makes no sense.
Appreciate 4
Poochie9104.50
GixY2K517.00
city1991230.00
reNT265.50
      06-21-2022, 03:14 PM   #72
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
I don't get the backlash either, it's another option, cheaper and with similar results. What's to complain about? Makes no sense.
'81 to '96, would be the closest answer I have

Just kidding

Or not :/
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:26 PM   #73
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Attachment 2909640

Part Number(s): D440-0155, D440-0156, D440-0164 & D440-0165
Applications:
  • 2020-2022 F97 X3M (Base & Competition)
  • 2020-2022 F98 X4M (Base & Competition)
  • 2021-2023 G80 M3 (Base & Competition)
  • 2021-2023 G82/G83 M4 (Base & Competition)
Product Page(s) / Pricing: dinan.info/DPT-X-S58
Release Date: [COLOR="Red"]Available Now![/COLOR]

Description: The DINANTRONICS X is the newest installment of Dinan's foray into inline tuning modules. Like its predecessors it is a highly engineered mix of computer hardware and software that enhances engine performance to levels the stock programming is not allowed to venture. It does this without affecting long term reliability or the functionality of on-board diagnostic systems when run under recommended operating variables. Unlike its predecessor however, the DINANTRONICS X is Bluetooth smart and offers convenient access to the adjustment of power levels directly from the palm of your hand. For those that do not wish to (or can't) alter their stock ECU with a more robust engine flash the DINANTRONICS X is a perfect alternative to satiate the craving for "more". Whichever level of engine tuning is ultimately chosen you can be sure to be pleased by the result.

NOTE(S): Please refer to the recommended mapping notice on the bottom of the product page for important operating information regarding octanes.

Features/Benefits:
  • More Power: Max gains of up to +79 HP and +70 lb-ft TRQ (Crank); +69 HP and +63 lb-ft TRQ (Wheel) on competition package equipped cars. Refer to the charts below or the appropriate product page for gains on other variants.
  • Bluetooth smart (Android and iOS Compatible).
  • 7 power levels and a bypass setting to choose from.
  • Smooth and predictable power delivery.
  • On board diagnostics and factory safeguards maintained.
  • Unaffected by dealer factory updates.
  • Plug and play installation.
  • 14 day satisfaction guarantee.
  • 1 year limited warranty.

Attachment 2909641
Attachment 2909642
Attachment 2909643
Attachment 2909644
Attachment 2909645
Bought the Dinan stage 1 tune for my N55, don't really feel anything different. Am I to download the app? Do you only feel it above a certain RPM? After 1500 for the unit and 500 for install and colder plugs, any information you can provide is appreciated. It's a 2016 640i xdrive coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 01:10 PM   #74
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991 View Post
Bought the Dinan stage 1 tune for my N55, don't really feel anything different. Am I to download the app? Do you only feel it above a certain RPM? After 1500 for the unit and 500 for install and colder plugs, any information you can provide is appreciated. It's a 2016 640i xdrive coupe.
Bought the old Stage 1 (Elite) and not the X? Regardless of either I would download the app to ensure its not set to bypass for some random reason. Generally additional power is only felt above ~2000-2500 RPM (when car is in boost). Car should also be in Sport/Sport+ as in Eco the factory nannies in the name of fuel economy/comfort make it very difficult to access the additional power (short shifts, etc).
If you still have issues contact the support team at 1-800-341-5480 and they can assist with any troubleshooting that may be needed.
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2022, 11:27 AM   #75
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
I'm embarrassed how low Dinan has fallen. From engineering BMW performance parts to rebranding Race Chip systems. Sad.
Id say that is quite a stretch but ok, to each his own
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12965.00
city1991230.00
      06-23-2022, 11:30 AM   #76
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:

well said!
Appreciate 5
Poochie9104.50
GixY2K517.00
city1991230.00
reNT265.50
      06-23-2022, 11:50 AM   #77
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

A piggyback is one thing but its a private label of the least sophisticated piggyback out there with the fewest engine connections and least overall control. It's just frustrating because if they are going to do a piggyback, which has historically been "below them", why not at least do a decent one.

As far as I know Dinan does not provide any engine warranty on it....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 12:34 PM   #78
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

A piggyback is one thing but its a private label of the least sophisticated piggyback out there with the fewest engine connections and least overall control. It's just frustrating because if they are going to do a piggyback, which has historically been "below them", why not at least do a decent one.

I'm not sure what you expect for under $600.. The "F" generation Dinantronics units was over $2,000+ with warranty and yet everyone was still complaining about that setup - you damn if you do, you damn if you don't, I guess..

This pricing structure is inline with the product they are offering. The Dinan rep even explained their decision for using a known and tried and tested piggyback hardware, with their own proprietary software, hence the reason they can keep the price relatively reasonable, yet still offer a competitive product in the market. It's the not a "least" product, it's simply their version of same exact tuning tool that's already available.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about here, other than the typical Dinan bashing, which is par for the course with the I live my life a quarter mile at a time flash tuning crowd.
Appreciate 7
      06-29-2022, 09:27 AM   #79
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Bought the old Stage 1 (Elite) and not the X? Regardless of either I would download the app to ensure its not set to bypass for some random reason. Generally additional power is only felt above ~2000-2500 RPM (when car is in boost). Car should also be in Sport/Sport+ as in Eco the factory nannies in the name of fuel economy/comfort make it very difficult to access the additional power (short shifts, etc).
If you still have issues contact the support team at 1-800-341-5480 and they can assist with any troubleshooting that may be needed.
Yes it is the elite, don't believe the other model was available when I bought the elite. I have an iPhone, what do I need to do after downloading the app?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 09:28 AM   #80
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Also which app is it? I see many in the app section for iPhone
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 10:28 AM   #81
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Assuming its the old ELITE it would be the DINANTRONICS App that has the Dinan logo as an icon WITHOUT the red S in the bottom corner (that one is for DINANTRONICS Sport) - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dinantronics/id1036838408. Will also need the last 4 of the MAC address on the box to connect which is located on the sticker on the control module itself. Assuming the original installer followed normal protocol a copy of the same sticker would have also been put in the drivers side door jam.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:27 AM   #82
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Assuming its the old ELITE it would be the DINANTRONICS App that has the Dinan logo as an icon WITHOUT the red S in the bottom corner (that one is for DINANTRONICS Sport) - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dinantronics/id1036838408. Will also need the last 4 of the MAC address on the box to connect which is located on the sticker on the control module itself. Assuming the original installer followed normal protocol a copy of the same sticker would have also been put in the drivers side door jam.
He didn't put any stickers on the car, they would be in the box, which I have. Kept everything they gave back to me which was everything.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:29 AM   #83
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure what you expect for under $600.. The "F" generation Dinantronics units was over $2,000+ with warranty and yet everyone was still complaining about that setup - you damn if you do, you damn if you don't, I guess..

This pricing structure is inline with the product they are offering. The Dinan rep even explained their decision for using a known and tried and tested piggyback hardware, with their own proprietary software, hence the reason they can keep the price relatively reasonable, yet still offer a competitive product in the market. It's the not a "least" product, it's simply their version of same exact tuning tool that's already available.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about here, other than the typical Dinan bashing, which is par for the course with the I live my life a quarter mile at a time flash tuning crowd.
I love the Dinan products. I've asked questions on his thread and Dinan has responded very quickly. With the time and money Dinan spends on R&D, why wouldn't people love their products?
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      06-30-2022, 08:33 AM   #84
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Listen I understand you have a job to do here and I'm not trying to stop you from doing it. But there is only so much "calibration" to be done with these map clamp tunes. Maybe you guys should go buy out Carbahn? They at least have flash tuning going on the models now.

That said some of your intakes I've seen released are impressive so kudos on that front.
No refuting that inline tuners are all going to be similar. That is simply a fact. When you are manipulating the same set of select sensors there is only so much range and adjustments that can be made. So they are all likely going to be similar power but are they all the same? No. Finesse (albeit VERY different than true flash calibrations version of finesse) is very much a thing when it comes to piggyback tuning. You are playing within a finite acceptable tolerance range that the factory has allowed you to work within. Touching the "walls" of that range either leads to a CEL or timing being pulled and power to be reduced. Over the years there have been plenty of options out there that have no finesse (shoot for the moon out the gate, are overly agressive in general, have poor tip-in strategies, etc) and rely heavily on the factory engine management to retard timing and keep everything in check. Even just being a bit too aggressive and commanding a bit too much boost can lose you power when riding that fine line of acceptable tolerances. Turning it down half a pound in a certain range could mean the difference between gaining 20 HP or losing 5 as an example. Then there have been devices that use older hardware that just dont have the sampling rate necessary to make for a fluid experience for a completely different type of problem. Again, similar? Yes. Same? No.

For flash tuning -- we have the same coverage as Carbahn (last I checked) with the exception of N63TU2/3 (still in development). Like us, and everyone really, 21+ MY flash coverage is dependent on getting by the newest encryption so both of us are limited to 2020 and older platforms at present. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I know we won't do the overseas thing but I couldnt speak for them. We are very much pushing the boundaries that we are allowed to given legal limitations (emissions primarily) though. Our G chassis B58 software released year and a half ago was the first to offer full E85 support without the need for additional hardware and the first to retain a true remote start. Same can be said for the S63TU4 tune. Our biggest pitfall when it comes to the flash tuning side of things is in an adequate delivery vehicle. Most of it requires some sort of bench flash for the newest stuff which isnt terribly convenient but the handheld is being adapted as quickly as can be for applications it currently does not support (MG1 TriCore namely). Other delivery vehicles are also in development with the goal of having numerous levels of options depending on how in depth you want to go or features desired.

Ultimately everyones desires are different so if you deem the Dinan inline (or flash) solutions aren't your cup of tea then so be it. There are plenty of other options out there that are more aggressive, customizable, have a more preferred delivery mechanism or any number of things that may be of importance to that specific customer. Our/my goal is just to provide information so folks can make an informed decision and be happy with whatever choice they make. The last thing we want is for someone to purchase a Dinan product and be unhappy. That just creates more work. =)
Your products are top notch! Wouldn't buy from anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 10:13 AM   #85
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I love the Dinan products. I've asked questions on his thread and Dinan has responded very quickly. With the time and money Dinan spends on R&D, why wouldn't people love their products?
Agree!

This specific product is priced reasonably compared to the competition, i expect it to be one of the most popular tuners.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #86
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Agree!

This specific product is priced reasonably compared to the competition, I expect it to be one of the most popular tuners.
Great people to talk to over the phone too.

Is just too bad all they were able to tell me, a few months back, is that they were in fact working on a Dinan product for the S58; no timeline, no estimated date of completion.

Had they had a estimated date on their website, EVEN with a few delays, I would have waited and purchased their product.

Now, I'm not touching that connector deep inside the engine unless I'm selling the car, and maybe if there is a DME unlock solution.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      08-07-2022, 10:06 PM   #87
M4 EM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4

For the love of god, can someone please tell me the numbers for a 6 speed MANUAL with 91 octane on map 5 and 7.

PLEASE!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 08:43 AM   #88
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
How does this impact warranty and are there any dinan dealers left out there that support these products? Or is that a distant past.

I have been waiting for Dinan to come out with something like this as I trust their products. I don't need a massive tune that will destroy my motor, rather less HP that is safe for everyday use long term.
I believe BMW and Dinan ended their deal a while back. No more warranty matching. Btw, Steve Dinan also has nothing to do with this company anymore. He has a separate company, CarBahn, offering a similar product, but with an optional warranty for an extra $1k. I haven't heard of any reviews of his product though.

https://carbahn.com/product/cbprc-00...r-g8x-m3c-m4c/
I spoke to CarBahn the other day, they were very helpful and knowledgable. They told me that BMW has things very locked down so this is the only way they can do it so far. I'm primarily interested in finding torque lower in the power band, it sounds like their solution does help a bit with that. I like the idea that they offer the warranty, but I haven't made a decision yet.
Appreciate 0