Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-18-2022, 07:53 PM   #45
ibmc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 Comp G82 RWD

compare to the dahler

https://www.daehler-tuning.com/produ...mpetition-g82/

This one gets you ~100HP, but is 4x the price. Dinan is def more bang for the buck. Wonder if dahler will adjust the price a bit.

Last edited by ibmc; 06-18-2022 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 08:44 PM   #46
G80OG
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmc View Post
https://www.daehler-tuning.com/produ...mpetition-g82/

This one gets you ~100HP, but is 4x the price. Dinan is def more bang for the buck. Wonder if dahler will adjust the price a bit.
I have it installed on my G80 Comp. Pain to install one of the clips but definitely can feel the power. Worth the money.
Appreciate 1
ibmc127.00
      06-18-2022, 11:26 PM   #47
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
How does this impact warranty and are there any dinan dealers left out there that support these products? Or is that a distant past.

I have been waiting for Dinan to come out with something like this as I trust their products. I don't need a massive tune that will destroy my motor, rather less HP that is safe for everyday use long term.
Why tune at all if you are not looking for a noticeable difference?
Limegrntaln13021.50
      06-19-2022, 06:28 AM   #48
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Nice to see another product released!

Can you post what the new boost targets versus stock for both base and comp? Do you still have Dinan shops affiliated with BMW dealers in Canada? (I'm near Oakville Ontario and Budds BMW)

Andy ETA on Flash tuning?

Thanks!
      06-19-2022, 09:04 AM   #49
NickmanBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

I’m curious to why the base model would produce less power than the Comp with this mod. Aren’t they essentially the same exact motor? Or is it due to the 6MT not being able to handle as much power?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 12:32 PM   #50
BMWnation
BMWnation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 535, M4

What are the gains with downpipes and intake? Does the tune take advantage of these mods? Or, is there a specific map for these mods?
Also, why does the base map reads X3M? The base/manual cars power seems incorrect?
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2022, 01:09 PM   #51
r33_RGSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Another racechip clone!
Actually, it is not a clone. Clone is when someone took the original product and have it copied or cloned.
This Dinan X is what they called private label. So, Dinan management got together with RaceChip management and say, "Hey, can I purchase your product, change the appearance a bit, and put my brand on it".
It is like Costco do to many of their Kirkland's product.
While the software and mapping, it may and may not be the same. Only they know.
And guess what, Dinan is not the only one and not the first. Few company been using RaceChip product for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM4 View Post
I believe Carbahn is the only company offering an optional factory warranty match with their stage 1 performance controller. You can also upgrade to their flash tune when it's released if you want. I got tired of waiting for the dme's to get cracked so I went with Carbahn and have no regrets. Don't want to sh*t on this thread but I'd be happy to share my thoughts/expierence so far if your interested.
Actually, RaceChip GTS and GTS Black been including engine warranty for the past couple years. Details can be found here.

https://www.racechip.us/engine-warranty.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
They all are. JB4 seems to be one of the only ones making their own boxes.
Actually, no. Their board supposed to be a collab work between company, but one screw the other.
And it has been quite sometime that they are still using that old design 8-bit processor chipset with simple off the shelves ATX computer parts, while all new cars are sampling the data much faster.
Most guys that I've talked to confirmed that they do feel jerk and rough power delivery.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...

Last edited by r33_RGSport; 06-19-2022 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
reNT265.50
      06-19-2022, 02:17 PM   #52
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Actually, RaceChip GTS and GTS Black been including engine warranty for the past couple years. Details can be found here.
Not trying to hijack the thread (after all this was about the announcement of the DINANTRONICS X), just trying to get all the info out there for informed decisions.

Carbahn's warranty is for the duration of the factory warranty, whereas RaceChip's if for two years from purchase (not installation) or 48k miles.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      06-19-2022, 02:24 PM   #53
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post
Quote:
Not trying to hijack the thread (after all this was about the announcement of the DINANTRONICS X), just trying to get all the info out there for informed decisions.

Carbahn's warranty is for the duration of the factory warranty, whereas RaceChip's if for two years from purchase (not installation) or 48k miles.
Something is better than nothing, no?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
m4ml1721.50
      06-19-2022, 02:32 PM   #54
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Something is better than nothing, no?
For sure... the other thing that I should have mentioned () is that you have to pay extra for the Carbahn warranty, but not for the RaceChip warranty. (again, all info out there)
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      06-19-2022, 05:22 PM   #55
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Another racechip clone!
Actually, it is not a clone. Clone is when someone took the original product and have it copied or cloned.
This Dinan X is what they called private label. So, Dinan management got together with RaceChip management and say, "Hey, can I purchase your product, change the appearance a bit, and put my brand on it".
It is like Costco do to many of their Kirkland's product.
While the software and mapping, it may and may not be the same. Only they know.
And guess what, Dinan is not the only one and not the first. Few company been using RaceChip product for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM4 View Post
I believe Carbahn is the only company offering an optional factory warranty match with their stage 1 performance controller. You can also upgrade to their flash tune when it's released if you want. I got tired of waiting for the dme's to get cracked so I went with Carbahn and have no regrets. Don't want to sh*t on this thread but I'd be happy to share my thoughts/expierence so far if your interested.

https://www.racechip.us/engine-warranty.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
They all are. JB4 seems to be one of the only ones making their own boxes.
Actually, no. Their board supposed to be a collab work between company, but one screw the other.
And it has been quite sometime that they are still using that old design 8-bit processor chipset with simple off the shelves ATX computer parts, while all new cars are sampling the data much faster.
Most guys that I've talked to confirmed that they do feel jerk and rough power delivery.
Whatever you call it, it's just a race chip.

Lame.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      06-19-2022, 05:34 PM   #56
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnation View Post
What are the gains with downpipes and intake? Does the tune take advantage of these mods? Or, is there a specific map for these mods?
Also, why does the base map reads X3M? The base/manual cars power seems incorrect?
Steve Dinan suggests down pipe only add about 11HP and he doesn't recommend doing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 06:15 PM   #57
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Quote:
Steve Dinan suggests down pipe only add about 11HP and he doesn't recommend doing it.
I'm assuming catless? Carbahn didn't have an issue with my high flow cat.

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 08:05 PM   #58
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Quote:
I'm assuming catless? Carbahn didn't have an issue with my high flow cat.
Oh sorry yes, it's the catless part I believe he isn't recommending. And bringing to our attention the HP isn't as much as some suggest.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 08:19 PM   #59
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

On warranty coverage …
Ten years ago I bought a six month old 2012 535i.
It was a heavy and not very well handling car so I added M5 wheels and my BMW dealer got me some AC Schnizter springs which helped a bit.
But power was still lacking so my BMW dealer offered to install the just released Dinan piggyback. The BMW dealer was also a Dinan dealer.
In the following year I ended up with multiple reduced power events and codes were thrown.
Long story short after a while the dealers mechanics discovered that the engine had scored rod bearings.
BMW denied warranty because I had Dinan. And Dinan denied warranty because scored bearings was a common issue with N55 motors.
BMW dealer said to replace the motor. But the cost was not making sense for what the car was worth.

I’m not saying the piggyback caused it. For what I know the original owner may have never changed the oil.
Lessons learned: only buying new then I know for sure the oil is good.
And take the warranty from Dinan with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 08:29 PM   #60
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
On warranty coverage …
It was a heavy and not very well handling car so I added M5 wheels and my BMW dealer got me some AC Schnizter springs which helped a bit.
But power was still lacking so my BMW dealer offered to install the just released Dinan piggyback. The BMW dealer was also a Dinan dealer.
In the following year I ended up with multiple reduced power events and codes were thrown.
Long story short after a while the dealers mechanics discovered that the engine had scored rod bearings.
BMW denied warranty because I had Dinan. And Dinan denied warranty because scored bearings was a common issue with N55 motors.
BMW dealer said to replace the motor. But the cost was not making sense for what the car was worth.

I’m not saying the piggyback caused it. For what I know the original owner may have never changed the oil.
Bingo. What a shocker you got boned.😳Sorry brother but this is what I would expect about 99percent of the time
Appreciate 1
reNT265.50
      06-20-2022, 08:26 AM   #61
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Lots of catching up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo0311 View Post
Is there an upgrade path if you want to eventually get a flash tune? I'd hate to drop money on a piggyback and then pay another full price for a flash tune. I think I've seen one or two others have an upgrade option if and when a flash option comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Wouldn't you just resell it?
There is not. We offered an upgrade/trade in path with the warrantied versions in the past but it was cumbersome. With the unwarranted / low cost DINANTRONICS X it just didnt make much sense to do something similar. Anything offered in terms of a trade in/credit given the retail pricing would be such a small number it would be insulting and the user could get more easily just reselling it on the secondary market.

Now if it was a a thousand dollar product or more, like some of the other options out there, then it would have been more practical to offer such a program to offset the sting of the much higher initial buy in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbadillo View Post
Seems like they do. But only for full fledge tune products. Not the piggy back tunes. Which kind of makes sense. It’s not cost effective to warranty your entire car for a low cost given that some engines just might break regardless if it’s tuned or not.
We still offer the factory matching warranty. Just not on the inline tuners like the DINANTRONICS X and SPORT. The purpose of both is to offer a cost effective tuning option and a palatable price point. Adding in a factory matching warranty would balloon the cost (lets just say 2x or more) driving it very much outside of that goal. There are other options on the market for those that want a warranties piggyback and are willing to pay the premium.

For Dinan, as of ~2 years ago the factory matching warranty as it applies to engine tuning is a feature of the Dinan+ flash tunes only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
Is this piggyback similar to the F8X in that it "tricks" the computer to give more boost? AND bypasses some of the car's engine safety features??

I've been a big fan of DINAN; was one of the first to get Stage 1, 2, then 3 for my F82. Switched to the flash after talking with a DINAN rep at an event. I learned quite a bit about piggybacks sooooo I'd wait for the flash…
It's a piggyback (or inline tuner as the greater organization refers to them as) but it does not bypass any engine safety features. It plays in the "acceptable tolerances windows".

Inline tuners are not for everyone though so its totally your decision what you feel most comfortable with. A flash tune is always going to be the preferred solution as you have more control which, when done right, means it can offer additional safety preotections and power. However not everyone may be comfortable with flashing (for any number of reasons) either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
There's the Femto unlock. Are you waiting for a US company to unlock?
Sending ECU's overseas is not an option in our opinion. We continue to work on defeating the encryption internally but if something comes stateside (and ideally doesnt require DME's to be shipped anywhere) it would be foolish not to at least look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Is this a rebadged racechip? Looks identical
So its on multiple pages of the thread...

"Don't think we make any great effort to hide where the physical hardware components comes from. From a cost perspective it simply makes more sense then continuing to go down the path of our own internally developed version of hardware (DINANTRONICS Elite). Lots of great things they were capable of but frankly they were just incredibly expensive to produce which hampered them in many ways.

As far as X goes though -- the hardware may be the same/similar to other entities but the software/calibration/tune is unique to Dinan. Ultimately its another option in the marketplace at a price point we think makes it a valid option for consideration."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
Nice to see another product released!

Can you post what the new boost targets versus stock for both base and comp? Do you still have Dinan shops affiliated with BMW dealers in Canada? (I'm near Oakville Ontario and Budds BMW)

Andy ETA on Flash tuning?

Thanks!
Generally speaking the top map is ~+3PSI over stock. Applies to both the base and comp version. Varies a small bit from engine to engine but for the most part everything released on the DPT X lineup thus far is right around there. So that means each map is ~.4 PSI increments. Prety much without fail once that ~+3 PSI mark is eclipsed you start to get into some engine events (pre-knock) when logging that would need to be compensated with better fuel (race gas, etc.) or other outside variables to address to remain what Dinan would consider acceptable and "safe." The purpose of X is for simple PnP / safe solution without the need to constantly tweak so we limited it at that level.

Budds' is still a Dinan dealer. Would want to talk to Stephen in parts if interested.

No ETA on S58 flash tuning unless you have an 20MY X3M then the S58 tune is available for it. Encryption continues to be worked on but a breakthrough could occur tomorrow or a months from now. That's really anyones guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickmanBMW View Post
I’m curious to why the base model would produce less power than the Comp with this mod. Aren’t they essentially the same exact motor? Or is it due to the 6MT not being able to handle as much power?
Going off a clouded memory here but I am pretty sure there are additional/lower torque limits on the non-comp which restrict some of the power.

Quote:
Don't test or tune specifically for DP's or anything that is not legal (emissions included) so I couldnt not say what the gains may be there. I doubt it would be super substantial, if anything, however. An intake on the S58 is not going to cause a need for a specific mapping either. There is some flexibility with the existing maps so you could tweak the power a bit depending on if some added hard parts give you some additional overhead. They are meant for the varying octane levels / fuel quality but would work the same in the case of any bolt ons that may give a slight advantage.

Now that I am caught up you guys can go back to the thread jack if you desire. Apologies for interrupting our own thread. =)
Appreciate 4
ibmc127.00
m4ml1721.50
DoubleDave1116.00
ChrisM41525.00
      06-20-2022, 03:53 PM   #62
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
On warranty coverage …

I thought bmw had to prove the piggyback caused the issue… did they connect the dots? Or just blanket denial?

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #63
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm embarrassed how low Dinan has fallen. From engineering BMW performance parts to rebranding Race Chip systems. Sad.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 04:49 PM   #64
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
I'm embarrassed how low Dinan has fallen. From engineering BMW performance parts to rebranding Race Chip systems. Sad.
Guess it's time to change that screen name of yours.
      06-20-2022, 05:03 PM   #65
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
Still engineer performance parts. The vast majority of everything we offer is developed wholly in house. Just are utilizing additional delivery vehicles where appropriate to be more cost effective in an ever expanding and competitive marketspace. Just because the hardware is similar does not mean the tuning strategies employed / mapping in general on the board, are the same. They are not. No different then "old Dinan" using off the shelf Koni (or JRZ or Bilstein) shocks and struts but tweaking the internal valving a bit to be more "Dinan" oriented and selling them as a new SKU as just one example. Taking advantage of a proven entitity and their economies of scale in manufacturing for better pricing to serve a wider market is just business.
Appreciate 4
Poochie9099.00
reNT265.50
      06-20-2022, 05:18 PM   #66
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Still engineer performance parts. The vast majority of everything we offer is developed wholly in house. Just are utilizing additional delivery vehicles where appropriate to be more cost effective in an ever expanding and competitive marketspace. Just because the hardware is similar does not mean the tuning strategies employed / mapping in general on the board, are the same. They are not. No different then "old Dinan" using off the shelf Koni (or JRZ or Bilstein) shocks and struts but tweaking the internal valving a bit to be more "Dinan" oriented and selling them as a new SKU as just one example. Taking advantage of a proven entitity and their economies of scale in manufacturing for better pricing to serve a wider market is just business.
Listen I understand you have a job to do here and I'm not trying to stop you from doing it. But there is only so much "calibration" to be done with these map clamp tunes. Maybe you guys should go buy out Carbahn? They at least have flash tuning going on the models now.

That said some of your intakes I've seen released are impressive so kudos on that front.
Appreciate 0