BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

06-07-2022, 11:54 PM   #1
SammiK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 M3CX

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Can someone translate the gist of the video comparing c8 corvette, 911gts and m4 comp? It's in German

Appreciate 1
T0RM3NT3633.00
      06-14-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by byunts View Post
Can someone translate the gist of the video comparing c8 corvette, 911gts and m4 comp? It's in German
Here you go:

This is meant as a "playfulness" comparison between different chassis layouts: front, mid and rear engine.

He finds the Corvette to be a bit of handful when driven at and beyond the limit, where it has a tendency to snap without much warning. He finds that the steering lacks self centering force when the car oversteers, which means you need to purposefully countersteer, which makes it more difficult to drive instinctively. He despises the trend of non-round steering wheels because the wheel is not where you expect it to be when shuffle steering while sliding the car around. When driven within limits, he says the Corvette, despite being only the "base" model, is a very nimble and enjoyable track machine. He commends GM for their first attempt at a mid-engine sports car.

He finds the M4's steering to be too light (despite being in the Sport setting) and lacking in feedback. While very precise and responsive, it does not tell you what is going on with the front wheels and does not offer enough resistance as the front tires load up, which make it more difficult to feel the car at the limit. The electronic brakes do not like trail braking and transfer to much weight on the front outside wheel. The brakes prefer straight line braking prior steering input, which makes the car uneager to rotate on braking. He says the G8X has significantly stepped up the performance potential vs its predecessors, but at the expense of playfulness. It is the most difficult of the three to drive at the limit.

He had not much bad to say about the 992 GTS, saying it is a car you can just hop in and feel right at home driving sideways with DSC/PSM off. It very predictable on how it responds to inputs. He said the PDCC (active sway bars) help balance the car between under and over steer. The slides are super smooth and progressive. It is the easiest of the three to drive at the limit and by far the best drivers car of the three. And no, he does not get any money from Porsche.

Note: I have enjoyed Tim Schrick reviews for quite some time. There are very few reviewers with his driving ability that can precisely convey the driving/handling characteristics of the cars they review. He is sort of the German Chris Harris equivalent.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-16-2022 at 05:23 AM..
Appreciate 6
PLF693766.00
Vic5519360.50
DS_BMW1603.00
G-Mann413.00
      06-14-2022, 08:54 PM   #3
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Here you go:

This is meant as a "playfulness" comparison between different chassis layouts: front, mid and rear engine.

He finds the Corvette to be a bit of handful when driven at and beyond the limit, where it has a tendency to snap without much warning. He finds that the steering lacks self centering force when the car oversteers, which means you need to purposefully countersteer, which makes it more difficult to drive instinctively. He despises the trend of non-round steering wheels because the wheel is not where you expect it to be when shuffle steering while sliding the car around. When driven within limits, he says the Corvette, despite being only the "base" model, is a very nimble and enjoyable track machine. He commends GM for their first attempt at a mid-engine sports car.

He finds M4's the steering to be too light (despite being in the Sport setting) and lacking in feedback. While very precise and responsive, it does not tell you what is going on with the front wheels and does not offer enough resistance, which make it more difficult to feel the car at the limit. The electronic brakes do not like trail braking and transfer to much weight on the front, they prefer straight line braking prior steering input, which makes the car uneager to rotate on braking. He says the G8X has significantly stepped up the performance potential vs its predecessors, but at the expense of playfulness. It the most difficult of the three to drive at the limit.

He had not much bad to say about the 992 GTS, saying it is a car you can just hop in and feel right at home driving [...]

Wow I just came back from a track day trip to Mosport (new to me) and calabogie (4th time) and this is really in line with my feel of the M4 and the effect is probably amplified in mine since it's a convertible that weights around 4300lbs. I am running cup2s, I also found it harder to trail brake vs my past M2, like the car didn't like it at all.

I test drove my friends GT4 on the street and although not on track I could instantly feel a lot more what was going on with the road and front tires vs the M4. The M4 is impressive if you learn to drive it in a point and shoot manner, brake straight, wait wait wait and gun it. It's very fast but less playfull like Tim observed.

I can't wait to get my hands on the CSL, I am wanting for a lighter M4 all the time but I think I still won't be satisfied unitl I end up in a 911.

Thanks for translating it was an interesting read.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50
      06-15-2022, 07:44 AM   #4
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

I tracked a modded M2C before my G82X and compared to that car, the trail braking on the G82X is fantastic, in my opinion. Massive improvement. I'm an intermediate driver so maybe trail braking at the very limit won't be quite a good, but from my experience this car rotates much better under braking that it's predecessors.
      06-15-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
I tracked a modded M2C before my G82X and compared to that car, the trail braking on the G82X is fantastic, in my opinion. Massive improvement. I'm an intermediate driver so maybe trail braking at the very limit won't be quite a good, but from my experience this car rotates much better under braking that it's predecessors.
I have a hard time believing rotation is better in the Xdrive M than a short wheelbase M2, what was your tire/suspension setup on the M2 ?

I tried every combination possible, AWD, AWD Sport in MDM, AWD Sport DSC Off, 2WD DSC Off and the best feeling for rotation was in 2WD but you lose the capacity to rocket out of more difficult corners.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0