Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

07-29-2023, 02:14 AM   #353
lfi.wheels
Another car enthusiast
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodalu View Post
We live and learn.. Won't be ordering from them or any other wheel company out of the US. I'd ask them about the center caps. It's total bullshit that they claim the painted center caps are not included and at an additional cost. Personally think, because the center caps are missing or never sent with the wheels, if they were to "paint" them after the fact, it's likely to not match 100%. The anniversary edition 68MM center caps are coming in on friday. My wife has tracking for the carbon fiber ones La Forge is sending. I think it's still a few days out. I'll see what works best, likely the anniversary ones.

Hopefully, I have better news with the custom tail lights I'm waiting on...
Thanks for your genuine thoughts and we apologise if we did not live up to your expectation. The caps are CNC on solid metal pieces which require more time and processes. We have also explained to your wife about the colour matching and we are trying our best to make it happen. These are not made in the same production line as the wheels. The caps are then pasted onto the base that clips onto the centre.

Keeping certain parts optional is our way of staying competitive with pricing. Some might prefer the matching wheel caps while some prefer to have the car maker's logo and some prefer not to have caps at all (racing style, so some have said). By giving our customers the option to decide, they are paying for what they need and want; like budget airlines charging you if you need check-in luggage or a meal onboard or maybe priority seats.

We hope you would be happy to try out our CF caps while waiting for the brushed bronze finishing ones that would complete the look you were looking for.
      07-29-2023, 02:23 AM   #354
lfi.wheels
Another car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodalu View Post
I've gotten lucky that all the wheels i've purchased for current and past vehicles have been local (used) or wheel shop(s) (new). 3-piece WORK VS-XX wheels I bought back in 2007 (still have) purchased from a vendor, wheels came from Japan and had zero issues.

Times are different now than they were in the past. When I asked La Forge how these wheels are traveling to me, they were secretive and didn't disclose any information. It was simple, are they air shipped to California or New York? If California, is it coming by ground or air? If they disclosed that the wheels will be air shipped to California and then ground shipped to my location, I would have glady paid for express as to reduce the amount of times there wheels are getting shuffled around.

If they are getting rembursed from the shipping company, they should credit something back to me as well, just my 2 cents. The wheels look great, are incredibly light and are afforable, can't win it all so there's always a positive. Hopefully you have better luck with yours. BTW, I ordered these TPMS sensor and they worked great. https://www.rgsportshop.com/index.ph...roduct_id=1004
Appreciate your honest thoughts. We did not get to hear these from you personally when the team reached out to you.

As much as we are trying to be transparent, there are some trade secrets that cannot be revealed to you or on the internet. It is sort of an operations kind of thing. However, we can share this with you. It wasn't through New York or California. We do apologise if we did not offer you the express option while you were patiently waiting for the wheels to reach you.

We were unable to make any claims from the forwarder as we weren't able to provide them with any evidence of the delivery condition. They need photos or videos of the damaged boxes (preferably upon receipt and not opened).

The silver lining for us on this matter, you're happy with the wheels itself -- the way it looks and how it is meeting your expectation on the weight.

Last edited by lfi.wheels; 07-29-2023 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: added some comments
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 02:38 AM   #355
lfi.wheels
Another car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDave View Post
The wheels look great and I understand your choice to just move on wit’s the minor damage. I had a brushed finish on my last set of wheels and decided not to do that again because touching them up is nearly impossible.

Sorry to hear about the logistics of getting the wheels and the less than stellar customer service. Like you said…live and learn.

Good thing is, in a month you’ll have forgotten the worst of this and will just enjoy the wheels each time you look at the car.
We hope to achieve stellar service eventually with all our customers and hopefully, one day be able to assist you in getting a set of dream wheels with the service you would be happy to share with others.

As car enthusiasts ourselves, we totally understand how it feels to receive less-than-perfect wheels. We are trying and hopefully we would be able to do better than now.
      07-29-2023, 04:10 AM   #356
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Read through most of this thread and all I’m going to say is in this industry you get what you pay for.

You pay a premium for engineering, design and construction. Pedigree and reputation and being proven is also part of it.

Having experience from 20 years in modifying cars, wheels are one item that it is worth paying extra for peace of mind and knowing the that the build quality will be 1st tier.

Only wheels i buy from now is bbs, volk and work. I’ll throw hre in there too for good measure.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 05:25 AM   #357
lfi.wheels
Another car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoi19 View Post
Read through most of this thread and all I’m going to say is in this industry you get what you pay for.

You pay a premium for engineering, design and construction. Pedigree and reputation and being proven is also part of it.

Having experience from 20 years in modifying cars, wheels are one item that it is worth paying extra for peace of mind and knowing the that the build quality will be 1st tier.

Only wheels i buy from now is bbs, volk and work. I’ll throw hre in there too for good measure.
hello evoi19,

thanks for taking time to read through 17 pages! it must be a long read. haha!

there’s this saying in chinese; direct translation to one cent price, one cent quality. it simply means you get what you pay for and we do agree with it to a certain degree.

we are just a small team of car enthusiasts aim to provide the best we could within an affordable price range.

we do not aim to compete with bigger brands where you’re not just paying for engineering, design and construction but also for the branding, marketing, and of course years of history.

the confidence we have in our design, build and quality is what propelled us to start selling globally, empowering those who wish to get quality wheels at a competitive pricing with optional bells and whistles if you wish for it. we have racing teams using our wheels and individuals pushing some amazing timing on tracks—we are proud to be part of their achievements.

hopefully one day, we would be able to convince you to give us a chance to be part of your modding journey.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 08:25 AM   #358
Toodalu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 & 19 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfi.wheels View Post
Hello Toodalu,

First of all, thanks for having faith in us to deliver you the wheels.
We are a registered company in Singapore with a physical address.

We are deeply sorry if the boxes arrived looking terrible. We were hoping to get some images from you so we are able to make claims with the forwarder but unfortunately, you've discarded the boxes with no images for us.

Our packaging has gone through several updates since we started 3 years ago and some of the folks here do think we are doing better than before. With protector rings and additional wraps to minimise potential damage--making sure the wheels aren't damaged during transit. The damage you've shown us couldn't have been done if the wheels were not removed from the box. You did share with us that the protector ring wasn't placed properly on one of the wheels and that was the wheel with the dent damage.

It isn't the first set of wheels that have seen similar damage done under similar conditions. One time, we had 2 boxes in terrible condition (badly wrapped with tapes) and 2 boxes in good condition (as how we have prepared) sent to a customer. Dents and dings were clearly visible on the two wheels with torn boxes. After having several sets of wheels with similar dents/scruffs and signs of box opening, we could only conclude that the damage happened during custom clearance at the border or similar.

Apart from the dents and scruffs, we noticed missing wheel caps as the second problem that has plagued a lot of our orders to the US and Canada. We had to send replacement caps separately and there was one delivery that only had 3 pieces arriving; we had to send one piece over after.

It is something we do not wish to happen to any of our customers. We seek everyone's understanding that we are doing our best to mitigate any damage and missing things from our shipping. Some things are just beyond our control.

All our wheels are prepped and packed to include our standard option Carbon Fibre wheel caps. The caps will be taped on the inside of boxes for one of the wheels. This is part of our packing process as we do not want to send the caps separately later which would be an additional cost for us, further reducing the little profit we have as a start-up. Not to mention how it would disappoint our customers.

It was our oversight not to clarify that matching colour wheel caps were optional and not as standard. We apologise for that. These matching caps are small and require additional steps and time to produce. Identical colour matching can only be done if the caps are done together with the wheels, otherwise, it would all be on best effort basis. We are not able to retain the exact colour for each spray due to our smaller production line.

We appreciate your honest sharing about your experience and we really hope we could have done better for you as strive to further improve on all our internal systems and processes.

Hello La Forge,

I appreciate the response(s).

I run a business of my own. I understand shit happens. When the wheels arrived at my location, our UPS guy brought them one by one (saw from the security cameras) and was careful with them. I told him about the wheels prior to the delievery and left him a gift card as a thank you as I knew the day of the delievery, it was going to be nearly 100 outside.

The boxes were all beat to hell. I asked my wife to open one and look inside. I personally saw the foam ring around the lip of the rim. I didn't undo any of the packaging as I was going to load them into my vehicle and drop them off to the installer. I wanted to assure they stayed secure while I drop them off.

While at the shop, I personally took them out of the vehicle and brought them into the wheel shop. The installer picked up a box and thought "it was a prank" because that's how light these boxes were, hard to believe there was a rim in there

I left to get them a box of dounuts as a thank you for accommodating us last min. When I got back to their shop, that's when they said "The installer needs to show you something" and that's where he showed me the damages and also said the center caps were missing. They were telling me to send the damaged wheels back, but I was willing to live with it as only one of the two can be seen and barely at that.

I spent most of the time either searching for center caps that will fit and trying to figure out what touch up paint would be close to the brushed bronze, even 5 days later i'm still trying to figure it out.. One of the installers knew I was upset, more upset over the center caps that he assumed his BMW caps would work. He popped them off his wheels and let us borrow them for the time being. I felt embarrassed and guilty over it and was willing to go to BMW (which was a few miles away) and buy the center caps..

Needless to say, we went to a local cars and coffee show that same day. Lots of positive compliments. Many asked "what wheels are those?" or "where did you get them". I was straight forward, told them to visit the website. Great price & great designs however, there's a bit of a wait and pay for express shipping to possibly avoid this situation. On Instagram, there's at least 4-7 private messages a day about the wheels. On any of the posts on IG, there's no mention of this situation. I'm not out for blood and not out to hurt the company. Just my personal experience with you guys, which will vary from others.

I recieved the center caps (CF ones) and the anniversary ones. At some point today or tomorrow, we will see which looks best. I do appreciate the express shipping on the center caps. I suggest, making it very clear on the website or when someone is inquiring about the wheels to mention that the standard caps are CF, NOT color matching. As for shipping, that's out of your hands. We still have plenty of shows to attend and new content still in the works. On my end, it's a done situation and i'll enjoy the wheels and if anyone asks about them, i'll gladly send them to your website.
2022 M3 Competition XDrive
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2023, 07:52 PM   #359
lfi.wheels
Another car enthusiast
Rep

Toodalu
Thank you for your detailed reply. Rest assured that we know you weren't out for blood. We just wanted to share our side of the story for better understanding.

And when the centre caps are ordered together with the wheels, colour matching would have minimal issues. At least we have the wheels on hand to match it.

Appreciate your kind understanding of the whole situation. We are still hopeful that we could possibly get your support again in the future, allowing us the chance to give you a better customer experience.

Looking forward to more photos and videos on your Instagram.
      07-30-2023, 07:54 PM   #360
lfi.wheels
Another car enthusiast
Rep

As a side topic for those looking to get colour matching for whatever product you've in mind, here are things you may have to take note of:
  1. Lighting when taking the photo
  2. Camera settings (especially phone) - white balance and colour balance
  3. Post edits (any edits done could affect how the colour turns out)
  4. Screen colour, the screen you have would look different from ours (looking at it at night would be different as well, due to the night mode/feature on some phones would make it look warmer/yellower too)
  5. Screen brightness (may also affect how dark or light a colour looks)

For the above reasons, colour matching remotely is a lot more difficult. Unless you have the physical item with the spray studio. We have tried to even colour match based on the Pantone code and/or colour code. There are still some variances that can't compete with matching in person.

Last edited by lfi.wheels; 08-01-2023 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: some grammar edits
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 03:34 PM   #361
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Anyone have the MF55s yet?

https://lf-ind.com/products/mf55-monobloc-forged-wheel

I like the design, but don't see a price...and there are a tooooon of color options.

I have the bi-color 825M wheels right now, and I like the brighter contrast rather than murdering-out my car. I do plan on getting the windows tinted, but not super dark just a little bit, so I think lighter color wheels will still look best.

However, I can't tell between the following which might look best on my car (Tanzanite blue btw):
  • hyper silver
  • matte silver
  • brushed silver
  • platinum black (looks pretty light / silver on their site?)
  • polished silver
  • glossy gunmetal

I briefly thought about blue or bronze but ultimate decided against it. Blue would be a bit too much, bronze is a bit too Subaru and I already had a WRX lol.

Even if you have a different style wheel from LF, if you have one of these colors could you link the post / pic so I can check it out? Thanks.
IG: EmFore_650

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 08-11-2023 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 03:41 PM   #362
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post

I like the design, but don't see a price...and there are a tooooon of color options.

I have the bi-color 825M wheels right now, and I like the brighter contrast rather than murdering-out my car. I do plan on getting the windows tinted, but not super dark just a little bit, so I think lighter color wheels will still look best.

However, I can't tell between the following which might look best on my car (Tanzanite blue btw):
  • hyper silver
  • matte silver
  • brushed silver
  • polished silver
  • glossy gunmetal

I briefly thought about blue or bronze but ultimate decided against it. Blue would be a bit too much, bronze is a bit too Subaru and I already had a WRX lol.

Even if you have a different style wheel from LF, if you have one of these colors could you link the post / pic so I can check it out? Thanks.
My LFI 359M replicas in Hyper Silver (Dravit G80) are posted already in this thread. I love the color. But here they are just in case they got buried.

Silver wheels (and these 359M’s in particular) really help show the detail behind them. Everything pops including the discs and calipers.
Attached Images

08-11-2023, 04:05 PM   #363
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
My LFI 359M replicas in Hyper Silver (Dravit G80) are posted already in this thread. I love the color. But here they are just in case they got buried.

Silver wheels (and these 359M’s in particular) really help show the detail behind them. Everything pops including the discs and calipers.
Thanks...crossing those off the list good look on dravit but don't think they'd go well with mine. Not quite the look I'm aiming for.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 08:37 PM   #364
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Thanks...crossing those off the list good look on dravit but don't think they'd go well with mine. Not quite the look I'm aiming for.
No worries, these wheels have completely fallen flat on this forum.

But people loved them at Road America! Wish I had taken a picture of our G80 next to an E46 M3 with 359M's.

I am not a fan of the split 5-spoke wheels on the G80, so I am clearly swimming against the tide here.

Silver wheels are coming back, you all just wait and see! And they would look great on Tanzanite.
      08-12-2023, 06:02 AM   #365
lfi.wheels
Another car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:

• hyper silver
  • matte silver
  • brushed silver
  • polished silver
  • glossy gunmetal

hello!!! do reach out to us on any of your preferred platform for communications!
Whatsapp will usually get you the quickest response.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 10:40 AM   #366
Toodalu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 & 19 X3

Quote:

• hyper silver
  • matte silver
  • brushed silver
  • polished silver
  • glossy gunmetal

These are Vossen HF-5 replicas. There's a few that have HF-5 on their G80/G82.
2022 M3 Competition XDrive
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2023, 10:48 AM   #367
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

My LFI order landed stateside on Friday!

It took roughly 7.5 weeks from the date of the order to delivery in Chicago, IL.

When they arrived my boxes were in decent condition. A few crumpled corners, not mutilated by any means, however it looks like one spot got wet in transit which caused the cardboard to weaken. As a result, a very small, maybe 1mm chip out of the lip but the other three were not damaged. I can touch it up with a paint marker and move on.

I too did not receive center caps in the boxes but upon reaching out to LFI they explained they are transitioning to shipping caps separately due to the amount of lost or damaged caps when including them in the wheel boxes. All communications have been quick and professional with LFI so I have no complaints in that department.

Overall the wheels look to be great quality and I'm satisfied at this price point. They maintained great communication with me throughout the process. I'm stoked to get them mounted on a set of tires!

TRS01 - Matte Black
20x9.5 et18

10-23-2023, 09:40 AM   #368
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M, F80 M3, C7 Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3cs76 View Post
Here are my Laforge wheels recently mounted. Very happy with them. I've always loved the BBS FI-R, just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for wheels. So these are a great alternative. Pretty light at 19.6lbs for front and 20lbs for the back on my digital bathroom scale. That's about 4.2 and 5.8 lbs lighter front to back per wheel. Stock spec.

Communication was kinda spotty at times but not horrible. I made the initial payment on Sept 7 and just received them yesterday so they took way longer than I would've liked. But it was worth the wait for the price as well as fit and finish.

Was thinking the grey was going to be darker, but it ended up basically matching skyscraper. Not sure how I feel about that but I guess it's ok. One of the disadvantages of not being able to see a color in person.
Those look so close to the BBS wheels what a deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 12:52 AM   #369
sapphire.f80
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Country of manufacture - La Forge

Hello LFI,

I am considering the LFI TRS02 Racing Forged Wheel.
Could you please advise in which country your wheels are made?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 08:16 AM   #370
OGOverkill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
My LFI order landed stateside on Friday!

It took roughly 7.5 weeks from the date of the order to delivery in Chicago, IL.

When they arrived my boxes were in decent condition. A few crumpled corners, not mutilated by any means, however it looks like one spot got wet in transit which caused the cardboard to weaken. As a result, a very small, maybe 1mm chip out of the lip but the other three were not damaged. I can touch it up with a paint marker and move on.

I too did not receive center caps in the boxes but upon reaching out to LFI they explained they are transitioning to shipping caps separately due to the amount of lost or damaged caps when including them in the wheel boxes. All communications have been quick and professional with LFI so I have no complaints in that department.

Overall the wheels look to be great quality and I'm satisfied at this price point. They maintained great communication with me throughout the process. I'm stoked to get them mounted on a set of tires!

TRS01 - Matte Black
20x9.5 et18

Do you have pics of these mounted?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 10:30 AM   #371
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGOverkill View Post
Do you have pics of these mounted?
A little dirty but

02-03-2024, 12:57 PM   #372
OGOverkill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
A little dirty but

Look great! I've always wanted Volk CE28's for my G80, closest I can find is the work emotion ZR10 custom two piece, but you have to run dual valve stems...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 03:54 PM   #373
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGOverkill View Post
Look great! I've always wanted Volk CE28's for my G80, closest I can find is the work emotion ZR10 custom two piece, but you have to run dual valve stems...
Not sure how the specs line up for G8X but Advan makes the RZ-DF2 that looks pretty similar. I've always loved these wheels and almost ran a set on my car.

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...latinum-black/
      02-10-2024, 12:21 PM   #374
KSilver2000
Rep
Drives: e82

For those living in the states and having received a La Forge order, did you guys have to pay any duty/customs fees?
Appreciate 0