BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-06-2021, 12:47 AM   #1057
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
So are you in a basement with tinfoil wrapping your head? Geez, is your life so empty you looked at that photo and channeled your narrative into the marketing department of BMW?

Let me help you be rational...if possible.

Do you think BMW which controls every single aspect of marketing and messaging at this point is running from the grills? After being asked point blank the designer flatly said if you don't like it don't buy it we are not changing it. I have never seen that definitive of a response from a car manufacturer and this includes Porsche with the 996 headlights or the Bangle designs.

Maybe they wanted to highlight the pronounced M3 rear wheel flares ( one of the reasons I bought a M3 over a M4) or the aggressive rear end of the M4 as why they chose those pictures. Regardless it is VERY safe to say it's not because fo the front grills.

So take off the tinfoil, emerge from the basement and for the love of Mikefind something you like, this is not worth the effort.

You talk about people's lives being empty, yet I see you in every thread going on and on about the same exact thing. Don't you get tired of trolling? You think you can bully others into accepting your sense of style? Let me break it down for you, brah. It ain't happening. Some people like the design and some don't. Be rational and accept that fact.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 05:45 AM   #1058
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

To each their own but why anyone would spend time on a forum for a car they don't like I will never understand.
Appreciate 8
chicagofan0019146.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
heavyD^23688.50
Sedan_Clan25106.00
Tyga113235.50
khanyam4801.50
EXE462100.00
AriM3G80164.00
      07-06-2021, 11:37 AM   #1059
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinmark12 View Post
Dude do you think anyone cares what a Motortrend clown thinks. The car is selling like crazy the public has spoken. The sales of this car are blowing away the F series when it came out and we are in a chip shortage. I get stopped every time I drive it people love it. Matter of fact the electric 4 series sales number are double what they expected.
I simply posted it as reference - I didn't say I agreed with the premise. Don't be so sensitive! I stopped by the M Performance Center while in SC last week and saw a IMG M3 Comp in the parking lot. The looks didn't offend me at all. In fact, my wife actually liked it a lot. I'm headed to an M Track Day this weekend. The performance differential will be what convinces me to upgrade. Not the design elements.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 09:00 PM   #1060
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I was at the store the other day and I saw a guy see me pulling in from a few rows away and as I walked in I watched him walk over and look around my car. As I was leaving he happened to also be coming out and he came over to talk to me. He said he had an e92 M3 and he was surprised that the grille looked as good as it did in person. I said yep. That seems to be the consensus. Hold your hate until you see it in person.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25106.00
Patton2502939.50
      07-07-2021, 06:10 AM   #1061
M3-san
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3xD, 535xi

When I first saw the new grill my very first though was "Oh no, they Lexus'ed the M3!". I thought it had a very Japanese design to it because of this.

But after spending some time looking at pictures and the overall design of the car in relation to the grill, it began to make more sense.

To me, its a bit over the top. But the whole car is really with optional carbon bits here and there and lumps, bumps, flairs and intakes in all the right places. But that's a good thing in my opinion. The M3 should be a bit over the top and outrageous. I would have been disappointed if they had gone with a too conservative design.

Then after seeing the car in person, I fell in love with the new grill and the car as a whole. To my eyes, its now perfect.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      07-11-2021, 04:24 AM   #1062
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Honestly, like most of the people I didn't really like the front. I've seen the car at a dealership and I refused to even come close to it. Thats how much I didn't like the front. However, once I drove the car I started to slowly forgetting about this issue. Now, it grow on me.

I will admit til this day; front is ugly, side profile and rear look great. Nonetheless, driving this thing will make you forget about every flaw on this car.
Appreciate 1
PVC154.50
      07-11-2021, 06:34 AM   #1063
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBMW View Post
Honestly, like most of the people I didn't really like the front. I've seen the car at a dealership and I refused to even come close to it. Thats how much I didn't like the front. However, once I drove the car I started to slowly forgetting about this issue. Now, it grow on me.

I will admit til this day; front is ugly, side profile and rear look great. Nonetheless, driving this thing will make you forget about every flaw on this car.
This is where you people crack me up. Where do you get off thinking most people don’t like it? Do you think just because you don’t like it most people don’t like it? Great let’s apply that to my life. I think the Corvette (not the new one) is ugly so most people must agree with me and think it’s ugly. I also can’t stand any Lexus. So obviously most people can’t stand them either.

Let me ask you this. How can you use this type of rationale in your mind when the sales are so high on this particular model year M3? Because that has to aggravate the living crap out of you since you know how terrible the front of it looks. Honestly you must think all these people buying this car are absolutely nuts because they have a car with such a terrible front.

Ladies and gentlemen I can’t speak for Europe or Asia or any other continent for that matter. However I can speak for America when I say I have never one time had a man or a woman walk up to me with a new vehicle and say “The damn thing sure is ugly but I had to have it“. Not once ever. Americans love cars. They love the way their cars look. That’s why we have such a variety because people have different tastes. Having said that this new G80 is setting sales records in the United States. That’s a fact. Now a few pages back some people tried to use some BS explanations to explain all that but at the end of the day sales are sales and you can make all the excuses up for the reason of those sales you want but it doesn’t change anything. Combine that with the fact people don’t buy things they consider ugly and you have to draw the conclusion that you people are in the minority who don’t like this new design. I would say at this point the extreme minority. You may have a fan base following here on this forum but this forum is such a microcosm of the actual BMW buying community.

Now it’s impossible for everybody to like this new design. I get that. I went over that above. However it doesn’t explain why you guys continuously flock to parts of this forum where people who love this car gather and discuss it. I never once joined a Corvette forum to tell those people how ugly their cars are. It just never dawned on me. Perhaps you should hang out more in forums that are discussing vehicles you do like. That would be my advice.

PS- Number one selling M3 of all time. Sales are expected to double the F80. Just saying.
Appreciate 7
Gfit2714.50
Sedan_Clan25106.00
bri10425937.00
khanyam4801.50
      07-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #1064
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
This is where you people crack me up. Where do you get off thinking most people don’t like it? Do you think just because you don’t like it most people don’t like it? Great let’s apply that to my life. I think the Corvette (not the new one) is ugly so most people must agree with me and think it’s ugly. I also can’t stand any Lexus. So obviously most people can’t stand them either.

Let me ask you this. How can you use this type of rationale in your mind when the sales are so high on this particular model year M3? Because that has to aggravate the living crap out of you since you know how terrible the front of it looks. Honestly you must think all these people buying this car are absolutely nuts because they have a car with such a terrible front.

Ladies and gentlemen I can’t speak for Europe or Asia or any other continent for that matter. However I can speak for America when I say I have never one time had a man or a woman walk up to me with a new vehicle and say “The damn thing sure is ugly but I had to have it“. Not once ever. Americans love cars. They love the way their cars look. That’s why we have such a variety because people have different tastes. Having said that this new G80 is setting sales records in the United States. That’s a fact. Now a few pages back some people tried to use some BS explanations to explain all that but at the end of the day sales are sales and you can make all the excuses up for the reason of those sales you want but it doesn’t change anything. Combine that with the fact people don’t buy things they consider ugly and you have to draw the conclusion that you people are in the minority who don’t like this new design. I would say at this point the extreme minority. You may have a fan base following here on this forum but this forum is such a microcosm of the actual BMW buying community.

Now it’s impossible for everybody to like this new design. I get that. I went over that above. However it doesn’t explain why you guys continuously flock to parts of this forum where people who love this car gather and discuss it. I never once joined a Corvette forum to tell those people how ugly their cars are. It just never dawned on me. Perhaps you should hang out more in forums that are discussing vehicles you do like. That would be my advice.

PS- Number one selling M3 of all time. Sales are expected to double the F80. Just saying.
Enjoy

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1700860

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/03/06/b...retty-or-ugly/

Please watch and listen what chief designer said about his grill design. it starts at 3:35.

People buy it because of performance.

Please do a bit more research before you comment on my posts.

Last edited by WickedBMW; 07-11-2021 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: forgot a link
Appreciate 1
PVC154.50
      07-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #1065
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Here is a little humor to diffuse the situation
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #1066
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Enjoy

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1700860

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/03/06/b...retty-or-ugly/

Please watch and listen what chief designer said about his grill design. it starts at 3:35.

People buy it because of performance.

Please do a bit more research before you comment on my posts.
I know you feel like you accomplished something but you really didn’t. I don’t need to do more research. The vast majority of people love this new car. All the people that buy it love it. People are not going to buy a freaking ugly car just because it goes fast. I can’t even believe you would even post something like that.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25106.00
khanyam4801.50
      07-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #1067
will0621
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M5c, 20 X3MC, 20 X5 40i

It really isn’t bad looking, some people just don’t like it. I don’t think a stock F80 is great looking either. The hate has gone overboard but in turn so has the defensiveness.. I highly doubt the so called F80 haters can’t afford a G80, this isn’t an exotic. As for me, I went with a M5 lci in the meantime until I see what the G series lci brings to the table. I do plan on returning to the M3 platform in the future as it’s a great driver’s car that really has no competitors in the same price range.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      07-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #1068
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know you feel like you accomplished something but you really didn’t. I don’t need to do more research. The vast majority of people love this new car. All the people that buy it love it. People are not going to buy a freaking ugly car just because it goes fast. I can’t even believe you would even post something like that.
Yep
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      07-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #1069
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yep
Let me give you a further example just so that you understand none of this is personal. I think the Toyota Supra is remarkably ugly. I get why other people love its performance though and I’m glad they are buying it but let’s get back to me on this. I don’t care for one freaking second if the 2021 Supra is the exact same price as the G80 only the Supra has better handling, goes from 0 to 60 in three seconds and has better technology in it than a Tesla. I still ain’t buying it because at the end of the day every time I park the dang thing I had to walk back up to it and look at it the whole time before I get into it. So if I don’t absolutely love the way it looks (also) there’s no way, regardless of performance, pricing or technology I’m buying the freaking thing. I hope this helps.

PS- I love Toyota. I own a Tacoma. I think the brand is awesome and has many great looking cars and trucks. Just not the Supra.

PSS- I will not be going to a Toyota Supra forum and breaking their balls over their cars.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25106.00
Shinzzze195.50
khanyam4801.50
      07-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #1070
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me give you a further example just so that you understand none of this is personal. I think the Toyota Supra is remarkably ugly. I get why other people love its performance though and I’m glad they are buying it but let’s get back to me on this. I don’t care for one freaking second if the 2021 Supra is the exact same price as the G80 only the Supra has better handling, goes from 0 to 60 in three seconds and has better technology in it than a Tesla. I still ain’t buying it because at the end of the day every time I park the dang thing I had to walk back up to it and look at it the whole time before I get into it. So if I don’t absolutely love the way it looks (also) there’s no way, regardless of performance, pricing or technology I’m buying the freaking thing. I hope this helps.

PS- I love Toyota. I own a Tacoma. I think the brand is awesome and has many great looking cars and trucks. Just not the Supra.

PSS- I will not be going to a Toyota Supra forum and breaking their balls over their cars.
Whatever you say. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #1071
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Whatever you say. Thank you
Thank you as well. I appreciate the fact that you finally agree with me that no one, not even a billionaire, is going to spend $95,000 on a car they find hideous just because it drives awesome. There are plenty of other $95,000 cars that drive awesome as well and I’m sure they can find one that they think looks awesome too.
Appreciate 6
EXE462100.00
Shinzzze195.50
khanyam4801.50
kyleb350423.50
stefan2354.00
jdarwin601.50
      07-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #1072
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you as well. I appreciate the fact that you finally agree with me that no one, not even a billionaire, is going to spend $95,000 on a car they find hideous just because it drives awesome. There are plenty of other $95,000 cars that drive awesome as well and I’m sure they can find one that they think looks awesome too.
Thank you 10 seconds Tom.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 05:34 PM   #1073
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I still can't believe we are still talking about the grill.
Appreciate 5
acre22f90529.00
chicagofan0019146.00
Patton2502939.50
2len78.50
      07-12-2021, 05:38 PM   #1074
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmmM2 View Post
I still can't believe we are still talking about the grill.
Only a select few.
Appreciate 3
Gfit2714.50
chicagofan0019146.00
Patton2502939.50
      07-15-2021, 08:41 PM   #1075
ghok
Rep
Drives: No car

Chief Designer - 1 in 5, damn I shouldn't believe the chief designer, he have no clue about the design. He don't speak for most of the people.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 08:49 PM   #1076
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghok View Post
Chief Designer - 1 in 5, damn I shouldn't believe the chief designer, he have no clue about the design. He don't speak for most of the people.
Exactly. What the hell do BMW design engineers know about cars???

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #1077
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Marketing knows that consumers always want the latest and greatest and newest shiny piece of whatever.

When subtle changes are made to new models it doesn't force the need of consumers to trade up because what they have still gives the appearance of new.

A drastic change like the grille for example makes every model year before it look vintage. Who wants to be driving around in a vintage looking 2018 BMW?

BMW has a relatively specific customer base and lets be honest no one is buying these cars for their impeccable reliability. There is an image that goes along with the badge and some people want that.

The person buying a $20-$30 new car is probably not the kind of person that will likely trade up annually to have the latest Honda Civic model. They most likely will be driving it for years to come.

What I'm saying is that they don't care if we like it or not. The looks are not what brings them a majority of their sales.

That being said, I love it.
Appreciate 3
acre22f90529.00
kamichael337.00
mlc5063.50
      07-23-2021, 01:46 PM   #1078
Alvinmark12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MWGuy View Post
Why can't people express their opinion? It's interesting to hear different thoughts and more beneficial for BMW to be able to hear what the enthusiasts like or dont like (as a fan, hopefully the complaints give them a direction). Just swipe past if you dont like it.

Because you don't shut up. We get it you don't like the grill.
Appreciate 2
DoubleDave1175.00
VetteGuy845.50