BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

05-25-2021, 08:25 PM   #1
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Applying Ceramic at home

Has anyone done ceramic themselves? It doesn't look like rocket science. Any advice appreciated.
I've watched some videos myself and doing it on a new car is obviously a lot easier than one that needs a bunch of correction. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:34 PM   #2
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Yes I have done it a bunch and you’re right, it’s not rocket science. I use CQuartz UK, I like the ease of application and efficacy. Here is my general routine:
- wash the car
- iron remover sprayed on car, rinse
- light clay mitt with lubrication
- single stage polish just to drive paint clarity and take out minor scratches
- IPA wipe down to thoroughly clean paint
- apply coating in small section, wait for it to flash, and remove with a couple of MF towels
Once full car is done, don’t get wet for several hours.
Enjoy!!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 05:24 AM   #3
barryc365
Major
Rep

Thank you.

Can I apply it to a new car without machine polishing? The paint looks great to my eyes or is that a crucial step?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 05:39 AM   #4
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Thank you.

Can I apply it to a new car without machine polishing? The paint looks great to my eyes or is that a crucial step?
Yes. Just remember, any swirls or imperfections will be "locked" in. I would at least clay bar. Get the Meguires rubber one. It works pretty good and is super easy to use. You don't need a special lubricant. Just mix extra soap when washing, wash a small section then use the soapy water and run the bar over that area. Smooth as silk. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:01 AM   #5
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Thank you.

Yes. Just remember, any swirls or imperfections will be "locked" in. I would at least clay bar. Get the Meguires rubber one. It works pretty good and is super easy to use. You don't need a special lubricant. Just mix extra soap when washing, wash a small section then use the soapy water and run the bar over that area. Smooth as silk. Good luck
Thanks. The paint looks awesome to my eyes anyway so a good clay/decontamination should do the trick.

Now getting the time to do this all is the next hurdle
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. The paint looks awesome to my eyes anyway so a good clay/decontamination should do the trick.

Now getting the time to do this all is the next hurdle
It really should not take you long to do. The ceramic flashes off in 1-2 minutes. So wash/clay/ dry and ceramic. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 11:06 AM   #7
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Claying always induces some level of swirls/imperfections. Pretty much everyone recommends at least clay/iron remover/light polish/ipa wipe down before applying a coating. Light polish is probably the most debatable, but it for sure helps. Don’t skip the rest.

Go for a user friendly coating like Gyeon MOHS. Maintenance is always key for getting the best durability out of a coating. No it’s not made of unicorn tears to prevent scratches and other damages. It’s meant to make it look good, give protection from the elements longer than wax/sealants, and to make washing an easier process. Every 2-4 months reapply a topper to boost the coating. I believe Amazon sells MOHS/Cure combo for $100.

FYI clay is not rubber.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 07:41 PM   #8
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Claying always induces some level of swirls/imperfections. Pretty much everyone recommends at least clay/iron remover/light polish/ipa wipe down before applying a coating. Light polish is probably the most debatable, but it for sure helps. Don’t skip the rest.

Go for a user friendly coating like Gyeon MOHS. Maintenance is always key for getting the best durability out of a coating. No it’s not made of unicorn tears to prevent scratches and other damages. It’s meant to make it look good, give protection from the elements longer than wax/sealants, and to make washing an easier process. Every 2-4 months reapply a topper to boost the coating. I believe Amazon sells MOHS/Cure combo for $100.

FYI clay is not rubber.
Yo chief, for a new car, that rubber will be just fine. I assume you haven't tried it? I use it all the time now and it's great for a beginner/mediocre detailer. You can even use that Not rubber clay over your clear wrap. Something I do as well. Happy ceramic-ing
Appreciate 0