BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

07-11-2022, 06:47 PM   #1
Game Changer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3XD BGM

Question HELP! Codes after Installing Brake Pads, Spacers & Flaps??

Hello Everyone:

Purchased my 2022 M3 Comp XD last month and decided to do a few mods over the weekend. Jacked up the car and changed out the front pads to include reinstalling the wear sensor on the driver's front pad. I installed 13mm spacers on all four corners with no rubbing with Pzero tires as of yet...hopefully I am good. Also installed mud flaps. I attempted to install the rear pads but the pads were a hair too big so I decided to retry later when I have the means to place veh. in service mode.

Got the car down, started her up and code messages immediately appear. One code was Brake System malfunction, Contact Roadside Assistance. Also, a Chassis Stabilization message appeared. So I took the car for a drive to see if these messages would work themselves away but to no avail. Not only did they stay on, I had to manually shift my car...wtf!! I am pretty handy and did I changed the brake pads on my 18 M4 and the exhaust and filters....no problems ever. This is strange!! I purchased the car with 1700 miles on the clock and it drove perfectly for 600 miles and now this.

Anyone had this or a similar experience? Please let me know as I am not trying to go to the dealer for even more headaches.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Ken
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 08:29 PM   #2
spridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

You'll need to connect to the vehicle using a program like BimmerLink to cycle the brake service mode on and off once. The codes will reset after you do that, and your car will return to (new) normal.

The other alternative is to take it to a dealer for the same service, which will likely cost more than the OBD interface for your phone and the cost of the software. You can do a lot of cool things with the sw once you have it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 11:32 PM   #3
Game Changer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
You'll need to connect to the vehicle using a program like BimmerLink to cycle the brake service mode on and off once. The codes will reset after you do that, and your car will return to (new) normal.

The other alternative is to take it to a dealer for the same service, which will likely cost more than the OBD interface for your phone and the cost of the software. You can do a lot of cool things with the sw once you have it.
So anytime the brake pads are removed, the car has to be placed in service mode? Any chance disconnecting the battery will accomplish this?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 06:40 AM   #4
spridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Changer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post

So anytime the brake pads are removed, the car has to be placed in service mode? Any chance disconnecting the battery will accomplish this?
Unfortunately, disconnecting the battery won't reset the codes. The codes are coming from the parking brake mechanisms on both rear wheels. When they are manually retracted (as you likely did when you changed your rear pads) the vehicle senses that "something unexpected happened" and the codes are set. Cycling the brake service mode resets the parking brake cylinders electronically, and then the codes will go away.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 06:59 PM   #5
Game Changer
Private First Class
Rep

Lessen learned as disconnecting the battery does not clear the codes. So I will get the Bimmerlink App and order the accessories to address my issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 06:19 AM   #6
Game Changer
Private First Class
Rep

Update:
Got the OBCx and attempted to recycle the brake system but messages for brake system issues and chassis stabilization still there. Bringing car in to dealer this week. Car has 2600 miles on it and has been parked for two weeks now. I sold my 18 M4 because it was leaking at 2k miles, so i am hoping these issues I am having with the 22 M3 gets resolved this week. Stay tuned
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 06:05 AM   #7
Game Changer
Private First Class
Rep

Update:
Brought the car in for service and tech. found the brake fluid to be beyond the max level, so he brought the levels down, cleared the codes, and went on a long test drive(60 miles) to ensure the issues would not reappear. So far, so good. My wheels are brown but i will not change the pads at this point as I had not enjoyed the car for the past two weeks or so dealing with the brake system and chassis stabilization codes. It was nice driving back home (70) miles in a healthy M3!
Appreciate 3
spridge638.50
Limegrntaln13024.50
FISH225379.00
      07-21-2022, 11:21 PM   #8
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Hello Everyone:

Purchased my 2022 M3 Comp XD last month and decided to do a few mods over the weekend. Jacked up the car and changed out the front pads to include reinstalling the wear sensor on the driver's front pad. I installed 13mm spacers on all four corners with no rubbing with Pzero tires as of yet...hopefully I am good. Also installed mud flaps. I attempted to install the rear pads but the pads were a hair too big so I decided to retry later when I have the means to place veh. in service mode.

Got the car down, started her up and code messages immediately appear. One code was Brake System malfunction, Contact Roadside Assistance. Also, a Chassis Stabilization message appeared. So I took the car for a drive to see if these messages would work themselves away but to no avail. Not only did they stay on, I had to manually shift my car...wtf!! I am pretty handy and did I changed the brake pads on my 18 M4 and the exhaust and filters....no problems ever. This is strange!! I purchased the car with 1700 miles on the clock and it drove perfectly for 600 miles and now this.

Anyone had this or a similar experience? Please let me know as I am not trying to go to the dealer for even more headaches.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Ken
Honestly surprised that you aren't rubbing on PZeros. If that's the case, I guess i'll do 12mm around on my PZeros too instead of 10mm all around.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13024.50
      07-22-2022, 01:14 AM   #9
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I'm on 10mm front 12 rear, with Pirellis, and they only rub in reverse with the wheel hard to one side.

Nothing wrong with the car. This car just doesn't want to be worked on without being hooked up to a computer, or having a computer hooked up to it, when service is completed. The brakes, especially. The car will tell you when the pads are ready to be changed, you will literally get a message in the center display that the brake pads are worn. The car is much more complicated than a 2018, which was designed, back in 2013ish.

Appreciate 1
hamzag20556.00
      07-22-2022, 06:02 AM   #10
Game Changer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I'm on 10mm front 12 rear, with Pirellis, and they only rub in reverse with the wheel hard to one side.

Nothing wrong with the car. This car just doesn't want to be worked on without being hooked up to a computer, or having a computer hooked up to it, when service is completed. The brakes, especially. The car will tell you when the pads are ready to be changed, you will literally get a message in the center display that the brake pads are worn. The car is much more complicated than a 2018, which was designed, back in 2013ish.
Definitely understood! As far as the spacers, I ordered 12mm for the front originally from 4by4 and they sent me 13mm which I received 2 weeks after ordering. I also ordered a set of 10mm and 13mm from BMS which arrived in a few days(bms does not offer 12mm). So I just tried the 13s on all four corners and it worked out...no rubbing that i can hear and don't see any physical evidence of such. I will keep an eye/ear on this though.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13024.50
      07-22-2022, 06:26 AM   #11
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post

Definitely understood! As far as the spacers, I ordered 12mm for the front originally from 4by4 and they sent me 13mm which I received 2 weeks after ordering. I also ordered a set of 10mm and 13mm from BMS which arrived in a few days(bms does not offer 12mm). So I just tried the 13s on all four corners and it worked out...no rubbing that i can hear and don't see any physical evidence of such. I will keep an eye/ear on this though.
It seems after 7,300 miles on my car, it appears to sit lower than it did when it was new. All of would take is a slight degree of positive caster for my tires to rub on the fender liner.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 11:03 AM   #12
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
You can swap pads without triggering codes, if you do it correctly.

make sure the car is off, do the brake swap (push back pistons, etc..)
Get in the car and depress the brake pedal and take up the slack BEFORE starting the car.

If you dont, then the car sees the huge travel of brake pistons on startup and thinks theres a fluid leak... It will disable brake assist, and all sorts of other shit. All you need is bimmerlink to clear all those codes, and you are back in business...

I have done this several times.
ATX_M3185.50
      08-14-2022, 08:27 AM   #13
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Quote:
You can swap pads without triggering codes, if you do it correctly.

make sure the car is off, do the brake swap (push back pistons, etc..)
Get in the car and depress the brake pedal and take up the slack BEFORE starting the car.

If you dont, then the car sees the huge travel of brake pistons on startup and thinks theres a fluid leak... It will disable brake assist, and all sorts of other shit. All you need is bimmerlink to clear all those codes, and you are back in business...

I have done this several times.
This is spot on.

When I swapped my pads sometime back, I did exactly this, and it worked like a champ, no codes or lights. I did have bimmerlink to put the rears in service mode, and from what I've read, bimmerlink can clear all codes?
Appreciate 0