Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

08-17-2022, 06:56 PM   #1
brandobot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M

Spacers for performance?

I’ve been reading up on spacers and it seems a lot of people are adding 15mm spacers to the front and 12mm spacers on the rear for cosmetic reasons.

How does this affect performance?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 08:09 AM   #2
Reson7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

Curious on this as well. I understand the aesthetics, but curious to know how it may affect the drivetrain and if quicker wear on the suspension or drivetrain should be expected
      08-19-2022, 08:24 AM   #3
DoubleDave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

I’ve never seen anyone do any sort of deep dive on this (watch someone post a youtube link).

It would seem like the more aggressive the spacer the more wear that could be placed on wheel hub and bearings. Someone else mentioned it in another thread like this where aggressive offsets could do the same thing.

If I tracked my car I certainly wouldn’t use them but mild spacers for a mostly street driven car that is being leased for 3 years probably isn’t going to hurt anything.

A dealer could give you grief if you have them on and take your car in for service.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 09:21 PM   #4
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

lots of misinformation floating around about this topic. Properly designed and machined hub centric spacers are perfectly fine to use on street and track and many race cars do run them. In fact the 997 GT3/RS come with spacers from the factory. Make sure you use longer lug bolts depending on the width of the spacer. Proper kits like Future Classic spacers can be purchased with the longer lug bolts. If you are regularly tracking your car then spacers along with lug bolts or studs and even wheel bearings are periodic wear items. Always inspect them after every event.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      08-19-2022, 11:13 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

This issue been discussed for many many years, every platform, every chassis, every brand of car.

I personally only trust H&R on my life and my family safety.
I do and been taking my Porsche to the track with H&R spacers with factory wheels. I feel super comfortable with the brand and quality.

But, the other heavy discussion that I've had was in SUV platform.
Some member posted some YouTube video regarding how bad wheel spacer can affect your car especially wheel bearing.
My response is, if BMW wheel bearing is not that strong, I don't think they even supposed to make 6000lbs SUV running that wheel bearing. The amount of stress added to the bearing with 6000lbs car is not that much greater by adding wheel spacer.

Now, back to this G8x chassis where this thread is at.
This chassis is tested at Nurburgring, hitting Apex at high speed over and over.
If BMW bearing can't support wheel spacer, I bet you the bearing will fail after a few Apex bumps.

Lastly, the only thing that is true, is scrub radius.
Yes it will be affected, but it won't be that noticeable where you need to concern.
You will notice is very much if you are on solid axle with locking diff, like Jeep.
I felt it on my Jeep JT with 0 Offset wheels on slow turn in parking lot. I can feel the outer front tire skips. More when I am trying to do U-Turn.

So, is it good or bad? Mostly good. Wider stance, better traction. Looks better too.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...

Last edited by r33_RGSport; 08-20-2022 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 5
      08-20-2022, 07:56 AM   #6
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandobot View Post
How does this affect performance?
It doesn't.
Appreciate 0