Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i xdrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
High Plain Raceway - May 23rd 2023

Hey Mates,

I was invited to Track Day organized by my dealer at the High Plains Raceway . I need to admit it will be my first time participaiting in such a event and first time tracking the car on such a “big” track. This is why Im excited, happy but also … a little but scared .

Basics like helmet, gloves, water, snacks, tire gauge etc. I have been already educated on. I will remove spacers and need to think how to protect fenders
Also delaership is covering the pre-racing service, brake fluids changes, inspection etc.

Did anyone here track his car at HPR and can share some advise, warnings, lesson learned stories… I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance for some tips related to this track.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 02:14 AM   #2
Chairmanmaothedong
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5, G80 M3 On Order

Was just there last weekend with friends as a ride along since I haven’t taken delivery yet. That being said, standard orientation is about 30 minutes. If your track day is anything like a normal day, be sure to be there before your session. If they call out your name and you haven’t checked in, you’re out. Drivers are then split into fast and slow sessions and take turns alternating. First few laps are a little slow as everyone is warming up and getting used to turns and brake zones but it’ll pick up quickly. Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 01:32 PM   #3
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairmanmaothedong View Post
Was just there last weekend with friends as a ride along since I haven’t taken delivery yet. That being said, standard orientation is about 30 minutes. If your track day is anything like a normal day, be sure to be there before your session. If they call out your name and you haven’t checked in, you’re out. Drivers are then split into fast and slow sessions and take turns alternating. First few laps are a little slow as everyone is warming up and getting used to turns and brake zones but it’ll pick up quickly. Have fun!
Thank you! Seems like this is very similar to what I was told unofficially yet. Detailed agenda/i structions still in progress. Should have 3 group, slow, medium, fast. Each 20min and turns every 1h. Good to know how they are “strick” to be on time etc.

Looking on a track and the fact its full day event Im thinking about some chairs and umbrella unless dealer will provide some shade… I hope so.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 04:06 PM   #4
Chairmanmaothedong
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5, G80 M3 On Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostro View Post
Thank you! Seems like this is very similar to what I was told unofficially yet. Detailed agenda/i structions still in progress. Should have 3 group, slow, medium, fast. Each 20min and turns every 1h. Good to know how they are “strick” to be on time etc.

Looking on a track and the fact its full day event Im thinking about some chairs and umbrella unless dealer will provide some shade… I hope so.
There's quite a large overhang for people to purchase food and hang out that's shaded and there's also a viewing area in the field although it was ridden with mosquitos.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 09:30 PM   #5
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Sounds like it’s a private day which will be excellent! Depending on your risk tolerance track insurance might be worth it.

Have fun, don’t take yourself too seriously, and absorb all the “qualified” instruction you can get.

Also, resist the temptation to speed on the way out. Cops love to sit and wait as the 65 mph on the straight road will feel like 25mph.
      05-18-2023, 10:43 PM   #6
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
[QUOTE=DRLane;30136782]Sounds like it’s a private day which will be excellent! Depending on your risk tolerance track insurance might be worth it.

Have fun, don’t take yourself too seriously, and absorb all the “qualified” instruction you can get.

Also, resist the temptation to speed on the way out. Cops love to sit and wait as the 65 mph on the straight road will feel like 25mph.

Thanks for the extra warning. And yes I want to focus on learnings about the car, and growth my skills; therefor I will be focused on instructor coaching.

I will share all photos, maybe even some videos from that day.

And yes, its private event organized my Elway Dealer who owns some of BMW, Mini, Chevy and Caddillac dealerships. So I was told that some other M cars should show up plus Blackwings, Corvets etc. So will see….

Happy, stressed, excited, scared ))))
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      05-22-2023, 07:40 PM   #7
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
And here we go … small update, day before the event… at HPR. Armor wrap installation.

Happy, scared, excited and … no way will have easy sleep night tonight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-23-2023, 10:55 PM   #8
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
And I’m alive and car is in one piece.

General Im quite happy with the event, organization and all logistics. 3 groups running for 20min each with break for lunch etc.

Learnings:
- 31 PSI starting pressure is perfect where on the track it goes up to 39-40 PSI. My wear and tear on a tire is “perfect, even”. Friend of my in 2023 M2 did same and also great wear of the tire. (Michelins)

- I was on MP HAS which may have also helped with nice tires wear out.

- settings:
IMPORTANT - as some of you mentioned, keep MDM ON!!! I messed up and was on M2 with MDM off. Second session was close to crash my car on the exit from the first turn left. Somehow my hands did trick faster than my brain could do it and was ended up straight line but … on the road used for entering the track, couple of feet from the tires and only concreate wall!

- car has insane power especially to get out of the corners, straight lines, uphill etc. therefor its building your confidence fast what … I should not allow to happen so fast… read IMPORTANT above.

- i was not using all potential of breaks after my instructor encouraged me to hammer them slowly more and more … and OMG, this car can break and breaks did not fade at all. BTW: I had those front bumper fins removed to improve brakes cooling

- I had one full session with Chris from BMW Performance School to learn best line and it did help a lot to be more smooth and also more consistent from lap to lap. Some of the apex(s) were not easy to figure out and Videos on You tube are not always the most optimum/fastest way.

- Always take advantage of the full width of the track

If not “out of corner #1 adventure” I would say I would be very very happy 10/10. But some of us are learning from mistakes and I believe this situation and overall track event tought me a lot about the car and myself.

All above Im sharing admitting Im not perfect, but its again a warning if ego and competitiveness start to take too much of controll of you.

My best time was by ChronoPro 2:11sec.

BTW: insane easy app to use. Love it.

I will try to paste the link with my “big error and luck” for others warning.

Leasson Learned
Appreciate 2
DRLane3988.50
      05-24-2023, 08:05 AM   #9
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostro View Post
And I’m alive and car is in one piece.

General Im quite happy with the event, organization and all logistics. 3 groups running for 20min each with break for lunch etc.

Learnings:
- 31 PSI starting pressure is perfect where on the track it goes up to 39-40 PSI. My wear and tear on a tire is “perfect, even”. Friend of my in 2023 M2 did same and also great wear of the tire. (Michelins)

- I was on MP HAS which may have also helped with nice tires wear out.

- settings:
IMPORTANT - as some of you mentioned, keep MDM ON!!! I messed up and was on M2 with MDM off. Second session was close to crash my car on the exit from the first turn left. Somehow my hands did trick faster than my brain could do it and was ended up straight line but … on the road used for entering the track, couple of feet from the tires and only concreate wall!

- car has insane power especially to get out of the corners, straight lines, uphill etc. therefor its building your confidence fast what … I should not allow to happen so fast… read IMPORTANT above.

- i was not using all potential of breaks after my instructor encouraged me to hammer them slowly more and more … and OMG, this car can break and breaks did not fade at all. BTW: I had those front bumper fins removed to improve brakes cooling

- I had one full session with Chris from BMW Performance School to learn best line and it did help a lot to be more smooth and also more consistent from lap to lap. Some of the apex(s) were not easy to figure out and Videos on You tube are not always the most optimum/fastest way.

- Always take advantage of [...]
Something like this? It’s the only wall really in play at HPR. Looking at the picture is hilarious as I’m not only looking at the wall, but steering toward it. That novice over confidence!

Don’t look at the wall

Nice job and hopefully I’ll see you out there later this season. We could use another G8x in our M crew.
Attached Images