12-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #45
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Btw, my M2 CS rides better than the X3M in stock form, the X3M should have found a compromise between handling and rattling your teeth out.
My LCI M2 certainly didn't ride better than my X3M. I haven't driven a CS so I can't compare. Like I said before plenty of X3M owners are perfectly fine with the ride. It's simply not for everyone.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2021, 11:19 AM   #46
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
My LCI M2 certainly didn't ride better than my X3M. I haven't driven a CS so I can't compare. Like I said before plenty of X3M owners are perfectly fine with the ride. It's simply not for everyone.
1yr, 8k miles. I can certainly say it was not the most comfortable. BM3 tuned, it hauled some serious ass though. Could have gone MSS, but at that point I was done with the SUV.

Appreciate 1
      12-24-2021, 08:05 PM   #47
Navypilot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i

Traded in my 2016 Macan S and got my M40i on Wednesday. Don’t fall for the Porsche mystique unless you want to pay 14K to get the Porsche badge on the hood. This M40i is the real deal.
Attached Images

Last edited by Navypilot; 12-25-2021 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 4
heavyD^23684.00
barcelona268.50
AlexFL7833.00
      12-24-2021, 08:50 PM   #48
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
1yr, 8k miles. I can certainly say it was not the most comfortable. BM3 tuned, it hauled some serious ass though. Could have gone MSS, but at that point I was done with the SUV.
The interesting thing I found on the X3M is it wasn't really true to the normal daily driver abilities of the usual M platform. Meaning the harshness of the ride truly wasn't something you could say "man I can't wait to get back on the road again". This coming from someone like myself who has 3 trucks, 2 of which are duallys. I can honestly say the drive in my trucks is less of a rattle fest.

On a side note.... my wife traded in her 2022 LCI X3M Comp on a new loaded Range Rover big body and she hates it! So much so that she made me find an allocation to get back into an X6M Comp.

So what does this say for the X3M, when luxury and feel are lacking..... the performance aspect of it can overshadow other things and made them less noticeable.

I thought the X3M Comp was hilarious to drive. Not super fast, but a snappy handling machine.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2021, 08:10 AM   #49
Ugly Kar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

I'm a little late to seeing this thread, but I have to agree with Navypilot. I test drove the Macan and was totally underwhelmed. It didn't drive like a sports sedan at all. I have to say the Volvo XC40 is a much better handling SUV.

Then I spec'd them out and a the Mcan S is $12k more than the BMW and .2 slower to 60 based on quoted numbers. I know .2 doesn't mean much, but it does given the price difference. The Porsche just costs too damn much and the BMW looks better too.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2021, 08:29 PM   #50
MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
I'm a little late to seeing this thread, but I have to agree with Navypilot. I test drove the Macan and was totally underwhelmed. It didn't drive like a sports sedan at all. I have to say the Volvo XC40 is a much better handling SUV.

Then I spec'd them out and a the Mcan S is $12k more than the BMW and .2 slower to 60 based on quoted numbers. I know .2 doesn't mean much, but it does given the price difference. The Porsche just costs too damn much and the BMW looks better too.
Picked up an XC40 Recharge for the Mrs a couple weeks ago. 400+ HP and damn near 500 ft/lbs of torque. It's making for a great daily and have enjoyed adding a full EV to the fleet. I'd suggest you take one for a spin. I was sold on the X3M but the Volvo ticked all the boxes.
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2021, 09:10 PM   #51
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

X3MC is so much fun. Two years later and still love it. Love the planted feel, the firm ride (even with the MSS springs), how raw it feels for a crossover, the intoxicating top end power of the (tuned) S58. The Macan is small, soft, lame and expensive. But that Porsche badge means a lot for many people…
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #52
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wife had a F25 generation X3 and now has a 2020 Cayenne. F25 generation was mediocre build quality; and the direction of BMW seems to be in a bad trend. Having come from owning E36, E46, E86 and E92 vehicles — the newer BMWs seem to have lost their way. Premium price for industry standard options and subpar build quality.

A decade ago I can’t see my myself having said that same opinion ... but I would sooner cross-shop amongst the VW group brands than deal with BMW.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2021, 12:26 PM   #53
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
Wife had a F25 generation X3 and now has a 2020 Cayenne. F25 generation was mediocre build quality; and the direction of BMW seems to be in a bad trend. Having come from owning E36, E46, E86 and E92 vehicles — the newer BMWs seem to have lost their way. Premium price for industry standard options and subpar build quality.

A decade ago I can’t see my myself having said that same opinion ... but I would sooner cross-shop amongst the VW group brands than deal with BMW.
The Audi Q5 is a significantly more boring car and has significantly less dynamics than a base X3... inside it's the same story... it just looks cheaper inside... oh and the X3 is a bit cheaper.
heavyD^23684.00
      01-01-2022, 04:28 PM   #54
Navypilot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i

Now that I have had my M40i for a week, the biggest thing that I miss from my 16 Macan S is the ride and I’ll call it lightness of the steering. My take is that my frustrations are caused by the run flats. Porsche doesn’t use run flats on the Macan. One other small point is that the Macan seat goes back when you open the door to get out.
Appreciate 2
      01-01-2022, 06:45 PM   #55
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navypilot View Post
Now that I have had my M40i for a week, the biggest thing that I miss from my 16 Macan S is the ride and I’ll call it lightness of the steering. My take is that my frustrations are caused by the run flats. Porsche doesn’t use run flats on the Macan. One other small point is that the Macan seat goes back when you open the door to get out.
Sure, but I did not go for the 2022 Macan GTS because it did not have a HUD...

I wished the X3 had the Air Suspension but...

And if Lincoln MKX had both, you would not be reading this... I'm happy with the M40i
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 07:53 AM   #56
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navypilot View Post
This is called easy exit/entry in BMW parlance. I had it coded on my prior 2016 330e so I assume it can be coded on the M40i as well if you so wish.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 10:33 AM   #57
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
I like the Macan, it's on the short list for a next vehicle.

Drive the PDK transmission and be sure you like it. It's different and you will be living with it daily.

The X3 is solid reliable. For me the M suspension is too hard. This is subjective.
Just a few thoughts from my recent personal experience.

I cross-shopped a few vehicles when the time came to trade in my F15. I ultimately went with the 2021 Base Macan. I found a very nicely equipped one in Chalk color, and took advantage of the crazy values dealers are paying for used cars for my 2018 F15. I wanted the 2021 as the 2022 transitioned to haptic controls on the center console that I did not like (love my buttons!)

I’ll note the Base has ample power for my driving needs. Driving In Massachusetts, the roads and traffic patterns would not really allow me to get the benefit out of a Macan S and, truth be told, did not want to pay the $10K premium.

Not a fan of the G05, I looked at the X6, which was just too big and overpriced, and just could not warm-up to the X3/X4. The Macan hits the sweet-spot for all my needs.
Appreciate 1
chassis6375.00
      02-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #58
justm3f80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3, Forester XT, Saab 92x

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions about my initial question as the OP.
Update: I wanted to take advantage of winter to get impressions of driving both the Bimmer and the Porsche during cold months up here in oh Canada🇨🇦 as I planned on getting an SUV that I could haul the family across provinces during inclement weather. Anyway I did back to back test drives in November when it's raining and cold was snapping in. Both are competent SUVs. As many of you have note the Porsche is very comfy and soft, I did find the limited cargo space annoying and something about the driving experience in the wet left me underwhelmed, maybe steering feel, suspension or the weight or possibly wrong tyre choice (had all seasons) I really struggle to describe this in more detail. The X3 M I drove was very bouncy as some of you have mentioned already. It's infotainment system is bar none the best I've seen in a car for this value. The handling was snappy(came equipped with winter rubber).. too snappy for my wife - was a deal breaker for her. Which is a shame because I really liked the BMW. It felt sure-footed and checked my box by having decent cargo room. I hated the harsh ride quality there was no setting that made it bearable, I've driven plenty between BC and AB I could think of being sane after 5-7hrs of driving on this suspension. I'm sure a set of springs could correct this situation but ultimately that plus the sport handling made the decision for us. A big no to both of those German siblings. We already enjoy the M3 which handles great and is sporty! We didn't want an SUV trying to be that. We're back to the drawing table, I'm even considering a lightly used F31 M performance wagon with all the bells and whistles. They look nice, roomy and quite rare. So finding one is hard. Anyway decisions.. decisions.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 06:14 PM   #59
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by justm3f80 View Post
Update: I wanted to take advantage of winter to get impressions of driving both the Bimmer and the Porsche during cold months up here in oh Canada🇨🇦 as I planned on getting an SUV that I could haul the family across provinces during inclement weather. Anyway I did back to back test drives in November when it's raining and cold was snapping in. Both are competent SUVs. As many of you have note the Porsche is very comfy and soft, I did find the limited cargo space annoying and something about the driving experience in the wet left me underwhelmed, maybe steering feel, suspension or the weight or possibly wrong tyre choice (had all seasons) I really struggle to describe this in more detail. The X3 M I drove was very bouncy as some of you have mentioned already. It's infotainment system is bar none the best I've seen in a car for this value. The handling was snappy(came equipped with winter rubber).. too snappy for my wife - was a deal breaker for her. Which is a shame because I really liked the BMW. It felt sure-footed and checked my box by having decent cargo room. I hated the harsh ride quality there was no setting that made it bearable, I've driven plenty between BC and AB I could think of being sane after 5-7hrs of driving on this suspension. I'm sure a set of springs could correct this situation but ultimately that plus the sport handling made the decision for us. A big no to both of those German siblings. We already enjoy the M3 which handles great and is sporty! We didn't want an SUV trying to be that. We're back to the drawing table, I'm even considering a lightly used F31 M performance wagon with all the bells and whistles. They look nice, roomy and quite rare. So finding one is hard. Anyway decisions.. decisions.
What about an SQ5? Or the X3 M40i? Both sort of split the difference between the two that you test drove, and cost less.
      02-28-2022, 06:34 PM   #60
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
What about an SQ5? Or the X3 M40i? Both sort of split the difference between the two that you test drove, and cost less.
Wanted to trade my 2020 M40i, I try the SQ5 and the Macam GTS but I end up getting 2022 M40i. No regret but I would have like air suspension for comfort but @ almost 15K more the Macam did not even had the HUD as an option.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      03-01-2022, 06:56 PM   #61
justm3f80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by justm3f80 View Post
Thats a good suggestion. I haven't been inside the SQ5 or the M40i. Wife used to drive a Q5. I'll see if can get a back to back comparison of those two options. But at this point I'm also really rethinking the value proposition of SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 09:50 AM   #62
justm3f80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

"Someone here leaked this thread to BMW and sounds like they listened". Jokes aside, straight pipes review looks to address most common comments on ride quality which apparently has been fixed. Curious how it compares now to the Macan.
Link to straight pipes https://youtu.be/nzwsdBdFxmI
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 11:36 AM   #63
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
is the back seat even usable in the macan for adults? we're on our second X3...base engines only...and already thinking about next daily. my wife really wants a macan but we havent driven one yet. friends who have one say the back seats are not for adults for any sort of distance.

we got a 2021 X3M40 as a rental last summer and drove it 800 miles with our 2 adult children and the cargo area stuffed full of luggage. we came away super impressed with the performance as compared to our 2017 X3 28i. ive actually been trying to push my wife to an X5 but she doesnt like the size because our the tight accommodations in the parking garage for her work.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 04:28 PM   #64
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

If I understand the OP correctly, the family has two cars and is replacing one of them, the Subaru Forester.

OP: have you considered an electric car as an alternative? I am not sure what your options are in Canada but there are several nice BEV SUVs (Audi has one although I don't recommend it): Hyundai Ionic 5, Kia EV6, Ford Mustang E, Cadillac Lyriq. Porsche will be selling an electric Macan soon -- I believe in 2023. That could be an interesting option. Genesis is going to have an electric GV70 which could be an interesting choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 12:24 PM   #65
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
is the back seat even usable in the macan for adults? we're on our second X3...base engines only...and already thinking about next daily. my wife really wants a macan but we havent driven one yet. friends who have one say the back seats are not for adults for any sort of distance.

we got a 2021 X3M40 as a rental last summer and drove it 800 miles with our 2 adult children and the cargo area stuffed full of luggage. we came away super impressed with the performance as compared to our 2017 X3 28i. ive actually been trying to push my wife to an X5 but she doesnt like the size because our the tight accommodations in the parking garage for her work.
I'm 5'10" and find Macan's back seats just fine. But I'm used to small snug cars. Everybody has their own tolerance level.
Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00
      08-14-2022, 02:44 PM   #66
GTS Daddy
#Driver
Rep
Drives: '23 G80x

If you currently own a performance car and are looking for a solid daily, the Macan S wins hands down. Porsche NAILS it on refinement, handling, ride quality, and overall driving experience.

Additionally, winter handling in the Macan is exceptional! We used to put together an ice driving event pre-COVID with our loaner Macans, Cayennes, A4's, and Q5's. Every single customer at every single event for the previous 5 years chose the the Macan as their go to for the best most predictable ice handling experience.

The Macan is smaller than the X3 so take that into consideration as well.

Get the X3M if you do not have another performance car and need an exceptionally rapid SUV.

Last edited by GTS Daddy; 08-14-2022 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0