home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

12-30-2021, 03:31 PM   #1
jhardwood
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Windshield Coatings and Rain Sensing Wipers

Hi All,

Newbie to this site and to BMW (2022 X3 xdrive 30i). I am working through the ceramic coating decisions, but have a question related to the rain sensing wipers. I know that using a RainX/similar washer fluid is a no-no with the sensing wipers. But what about an applied coating to the windshield? Several of the ceramic products vendors offer a similar product for glass. Is it safe or to be avoided?

Thanks,
Jeff
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardwood View Post
Hi All,

Newbie to this site and to BMW (2022 X3 xdrive 30i). I am working through the ceramic coating decisions, but have a question related to the rain sensing wipers. I know that using a RainX/similar washer fluid is a no-no with the sensing wipers. But what about an applied coating to the windshield? Several of the ceramic products vendors offer a similar product for glass. Is it safe or to be avoided?

Thanks,
Jeff
Why is using rain-X a no-no?
That's all I use and never had an issue. Confused by this statement.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
windshield coating shouldn't hurt your wipers. you'll probably use wipers less when moving in rain.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #4
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
windshield coating shouldn't hurt your wipers. you'll probably use wipers less when moving in rain.
I think he means interfering with the sensor's ability to correctly gauge the moisture to trigger the wipers.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Here is a thread on RainX.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1801139
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 08:09 AM   #6
jhardwood
Rep

My owner's manual warns to "not use silicon-containing additives", to which my dealer also told me not to use Rainx wiper fluid, as apparently that can damage the washing system. That may be unrelated to the sensing wipers, resulting in some confusion for me. I was more wondering if the glasparency or other treatment would affect the rain sensing. It is interesting that you have used Rainx with no issues. I will check out the thread posted by DanG as well. Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 06:14 PM   #7
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Rain-X is crap. Difficult to apply and doesn't last long.

That said, I've been using rain repellent on my car windscreens for over 10 years, 7 yrs on the M3, and have never had any problems with the sensors or wipers - no streaking, no juddering, no noise and no wear on the wipers. It rains year round here so the wipers get used regularly. I use Glaco Ultra (small black bottle) made by Soft99. 10x easier to apply and lasts much much longer than Rain-X. The only time Rain-X performed better than Glaco was when it was freshly applied in light rain/drizzle. Glaco needs a slightly larger droplet size before it slides/blows off. Long term use, Glaco lasts a whole lot longer and remains more consistent during that time, whereas Rain-X performance drops off quickly within 1-2 mths.

Last edited by Redd; 01-01-2022 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1246.50
      01-01-2022, 07:24 PM   #8
jhardwood
Rep

Thanks Redd. I actually don't use Rainx additive in any of my vehicles. But, I have used Rainx Orange De-icer solution (by the gallon) which has worked well for me here in Maine. I was hoping to use it in the new X3, but have certainly gotten mixed feedback on whether it is safe or not for the washer system.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 01:58 PM   #9
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
How is it difficult to apply? I've been using rainx on every car for 30+ years. Find it extremely easy to apply and lasts about a full year with a two coat application.

Never had any issue with rain sense wipers and rainx. I don't use the rain x washer fluid, just the traditional stuff you spray on the glass, wait a few minutes, wipe off, then repeat for the 2nd coat.
Appreciate 1
Llarry14494.00
      01-10-2022, 11:56 AM   #10
Gebbly
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

I used rainx for a year or 2 on my M135i. Never had any issues with the washer system.

I had mixed results with it. When on a motorway doing 70ish rain would rapidly flow off the windscreen and wipers werent even necessary. However (and this is probably me getting the application wrong) I did find that once the wipers were turned on every wipe of the blades left a momentary faint smear on the windscreen. In the end I stopped using it and just rely on the wipers.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 12:28 PM   #11
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

I haven't applied it yet, but after researching choices, I bought GTechniq G1 ClearVision. It is more time consuming to apply, but the results sound universally superior.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1246.50
      01-10-2022, 01:57 PM   #12
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post

That said, I've been using rain repellent on my car windscreens for over 10 years, 7 yrs on the M3, and have never had any problems with the sensors or wipers - no streaking, no juddering, no noise and no wear on the wipers. It rains year round here so the wipers get used regularly. I use Glaco Ultra (small black bottle) made by Soft99. 10x easier to apply and lasts much much longer than Rain-X. The only time Rain-X performed better than Glaco was when it was freshly applied in light rain/drizzle. Glaco needs a slightly larger droplet size before it slides/blows off. Long term use, Glaco lasts a whole lot longer and remains more consistent during that time, whereas Rain-X performance drops off quickly within 1-2 mths.

I'll have to try that. I have used Rain-X regularly for over a decade and find it very easy to use and last long enough for me. On my "fun" car I rarely drive and rarely sees any bad weather - I have not applied it in years and it still beads.

MY DD is another story, but I am anal about a clean windshield and wash it often and clear it often, so I am scrubbing it off constantly. 2-3 times a year is about how often I do it. I buy the big bottle, hose it down and rub it in with a paper towel and allow it to dry. Remove it with a paper towel then LIGHTLY hit it with window cleaner and take it off with a microfiber - spotless. I hate using wipers, so driving without them on at highways speeds is my MAIN reason for doing it. 2nd reason is how easy bug come off in the summer and 3rd is how easy snow pushes off in the winter.

I'll check yours out. I am happy with RainX, but if this is even better..............
      01-10-2022, 05:40 PM   #13
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
I buy the big bottle, hose it down and rub it in with a paper towel and allow it to dry. Remove it with a paper towel then LIGHTLY hit it with window cleaner and take it off with a microfiber - spotless.
Glaco Ultra is a much simpler process. The bottle comes with its own applicator pad so no cleaning afterwards. Just apply it, wait 10 mins while it dries, then wipe off. It comes off clean and dry, no haze or smear unlike Rain-X. You can call it a day, or give it another wipe with a clean dry towel. No need for window cleaner. It also lasts much longer especially if you do need to use your wipers. Rain-X wears off quickly if you use wipers often.
Appreciate 1
Llarry14494.00