BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-26-2021, 09:37 AM   #661
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
It's been 3 months, and the Gx has anything but grown on me

Despite all the best glamour shots, roller vids, and sexiest angles known to Tinder, all of the marketing efforts to promote the new G-series M3/M4 have failed on me.

In fact, i have to say, it's getting worse. I think the initial shock wore off and now i see it and just shake my head, wondering what in the flying fuck the designers were thinking with that front end.

Just because you can paint a car black, or matte black, or dark dark grey, and then color match the grilles, doesn't mean that it isn't a hideous design feature.

As a consumer, you shouldn't WANT to hide top-priority design aspects of your car!

Thank goodness companies and people like Imran@Evolve are making updated front facias for this series, I wouldn't be advocating so hard for the G81 here in the states if it weren't for these options!

Instagram: @TouringM3
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi8...LVuZzYvwGewezg
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      01-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #662
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringM3 View Post
Despite all the best glamour shots, roller vids, and sexiest angles known to Tinder, all of the marketing efforts to promote the new G-series M3/M4 have failed on me.

In fact, i have to say, it's getting worse. I think the initial shock wore off and now i see it and just shake my head, wondering what in the flying fuck the designers were thinking with that front end.

Just because you can paint a car black, or matte black, or dark dark grey, and then color match the grilles, doesn't mean that it isn't a hideous design feature.

As a consumer, you shouldn't WANT to hide top-priority design aspects of your car!

Thank goodness companies and people like Imran@Evolve are making updated front facias for this series, I wouldn't be advocating so hard for the G81 here in the states if it weren't for these options!
Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean it IS a hideous design feature. I love the new design and so do many others. My dealership has 6 manuals and 9 competitions in the order bank and that's before anyone has seen them on the road. I'm the first manual up and I cannot wait.

I feel bad for you that you hate it. I feel pretty fortunate that I love it. It was this or a gently used GT3 in 6MT.
Appreciate 3
Jcali861479.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
Scorp!on1510.00
      01-26-2021, 09:24 PM   #663
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringM3 View Post

I’m 69 years old and I’ve appreciated sport/performance versions of BMWs since the early ‘80s. I personally think the new G8x look amazingly aggressive and make their predecessors look dated.
Sure there will be some aftermarket facia kits but I believe the percentage of cars that get them will be minuscule, in part because a majority of the cars will be leased and in part because a majority of the buyers will actually like the new styling.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1510.00
      01-27-2021, 03:56 AM   #664
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
I’m 69 years old and I’ve appreciated sport/performance versions of BMWs since the early ‘80s. I personally think the new G8x look amazingly aggressive and make their predecessors look dated.
Sure there will be some aftermarket facia kits but I believe the percentage of cars that get them will be minuscule, in part because a majority of the cars will be leased and in part because a majority of the buyers will actually like the new styling.
Agreed that the G8x is so much more aggressive and makes their predecessors look dated. IMHO the F80 M3 still looks awesome, in the same way that the E30 M3 also still looks awesome. It-s such a classic and good looking design (E30 and F80). But just like you still adore the E30, it's yesterdays car and the world moves on to newer models that is better and awesome in a different way.F80 still looks great, but it just became old just like the E30 is old (and just like some still prefer the E30's looks over any successor, so will it be with the new generation).

The aftermarket facia kits will probably be more commonly used on the std 3- and 4-series than on M3's and M4's and will probably in the end be considered just as faux as putting fake M3 badges on a 320i or a Bentley grille on a Chrysler 300.
Appreciate 1
VetteGuy845.50
      01-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #665
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Easier way to fix the Kidney Grilles? Just change Grilles

I have not seen the G80 in person and am still open to the look as I like change, but I do see so many people talking about the Grilles and that there are so many companies that will be making new front bumpers. I will be leasing mine and doubt I would consider changing the whole front bumper, but what about if there was a new grill design with a painted front section that is color matched and runs along the center of the Grill to create an upper and lower black vent. This would be so much cheaper and easier and if done right could be an easy reversible change. Has anyone heard of any companies that maybe considering this as an options? Any one with Photoshop skills want to try this with a new grill and painted center section to see if it works... just a though, and like I said until I see it in person I will not pass judgement...
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #666
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I hated it, now I am somewhat OK with it as I get used to it, but M5 CS grilles >>>> G80 grilles.

It proves to me a modern look could have been achieved without such a tall / controversial look, it seems very obvious to me. I also notice journalists hate it, so as reviews come out, the debate will grow again, IMO. Somewhat similar to the Civic Type R reviews, love the car, but would never buy it due to looks. TBD
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      01-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #667
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

After reading so many comments and so many reviews about the grill, I don't even know anymore if I like it or hate it. If I really loved it though, I wouldn't need to read other people's opinions about it.
Appreciate 1
bm4w144.50
      01-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #668
Kyler13
Private
Rep
Drives: Undecided

Something about the entire front end of this thing is just a huge turn off. It's not the grille alone. I've loved the evolution of the M3 up through the F80. I guess sooner or later, there was bound to be a wrong turn. Honestly, at this point I'd take the G80 if it looked like the M340i from the A pillar forward. Not that I think the M340i is exciting. It's just that conservative beats repulsive.
Appreciate 6
seis-speed2426.00
stein_325i25051.00
jmg18493.00
GERMAN M34176.50
alex23642846.50
bm4w144.50
      01-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #669
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyler13 View Post
Something about the entire front end of this thing is just a huge turn off. It's not the grille alone. I've loved the evolution of the M3 up through the F80. I guess sooner or later, there was bound to be a wrong turn. Honestly, at this point I'd take the G80 if it looked like the M340i from the A pillar forward. Not that I think the M340i is exciting. It's just that conservative beats repulsive.
I just had a 340i behind me today and it looked so great. I think it is a really nice looking car, give it the M-bits and it would look awesome. Frustrating, that they did not do this, IMVHO.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 08:34 AM   #670
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
I hated it, now I am somewhat OK with it as I get used to it, but M5 CS grilles >>>> G80 grilles.

It proves to me a modern look could have been achieved without such a tall / controversial look, it seems very obvious to me. I also notice journalists hate it, so as reviews come out, the debate will grow again, IMO. Somewhat similar to the Civic Type R reviews, love the car, but would never buy it due to looks. TBD
Really not as extreme as the type R, but I agree with your points.
      01-28-2021, 08:48 AM   #671
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
I just had a 340i behind me today and it looked so great. I think it is a really nice looking car, give it the M-bits and it would look awesome. Frustrating, that they did not do this, IMVHO.
I also had the opinion that they could have let the basic 3 grill on the M3 and the 4 grille to the M4.

But as far as I understood, and correct me if i'm wrong, community was moaning that the M3 can't be distinguished that good from a normal 3 series. Means, add some parts and it somehow looks like an M3 (except the wider track of course).
So now they give us basically a M3 that is nearly completely different than the 3-series and people still moan around.
I do understand why this new grille is controversial.
And to be honest, when I look at the pictures I also think sometimes.."what the hell BMW?" but seeing the car in the flesh, for myself at least, it just fits and looks menacing and really good.
I like it.
In the pics it just looks like as it is 5meters x 5meters big, in reality it's not and the design works together with the rest.

However...there is a massiv waiting line for the order's and altough i ordered in december (ok it's MT with has "less priority" in production) i don't get the car on market launch but 2 months later.
People are buying it.
So it can't be that wrong.
Appreciate 3
Dr.Deep1827.00
EXE462097.00
heavyD^23684.00
      01-28-2021, 11:14 AM   #672
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
However...there is a massiv waiting line for the order's and altough i ordered in december (ok it's MT with has "less priority" in production) i don't get the car on market launch but 2 months later.
People are buying it.
Hey there fellow test driver

So am I reading right, you got your production date / delivery date in the mean time?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #673
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post

So am I reading right, you got your production date / delivery date in the mean time?
Hey there

yep, it is in production line and will be delievered by the end of april/beginning of may can't wait !
Did you order already ?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 11:35 AM   #674
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post

Hey there

yep, it is in production line and will be delievered by the end of april/beginning of may can't wait !
Did you order already ?
Nice!! So you have a final timeframe to look forward to

Yes, I ordered my M4C on the 20th of January, but not heard anything yet from my dealer about production date. Hope to hear something in the next 1,2 weeks...
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1510.00
      01-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #675
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I also had the opinion that they could have let the basic 3 grill on the M3 and the 4 grille to the M4.

But as far as I understood, and correct me if i'm wrong, community was moaning that the M3 can't be distinguished that good from a normal 3 series. Means, add some parts and it somehow looks like an M3 (except the wider track of course).
So now they give us basically a M3 that is nearly completely different than the 3-series and people still moan around.
I do understand why this new grille is controversial.
And to be honest, when I look at the pictures I also think sometimes.."what the hell BMW?" but seeing the car in the flesh, for myself at least, it just fits and looks menacing and really good.
I like it.
In the pics it just looks like as it is 5meters x 5meters big, in reality it's not and the design works together with the rest.

People are buying it.
That is what BMW insider Scott said, that American enthusiasts wanted this change. I have been on here since 2009, never once saw anyone complain about the kidney grilles on the M3.

I also, have never wanted the M3 to be even more differentiated from the regular 3 series. The F80 looked perfect with the added M-bits, but some people modded their cars to their personal tastes going for their menacing look. They were able to do so with the aftermarket and make it their own.

BMW could have offered a certain package for those that wanted a certain look, I will never be convinced the entire M3 formula needed to change for people to buy this car.

As for sales, I hope it succeeds, since a manual transmission is on offer and I am also warming up to the looks slightly and hope in person I like it more, but I would have preferred the M340i front with M bits, like the formula has been for decades.

Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1510.00
EXE462097.00
      01-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #676
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

They didn't complain about the kidney grills but we had an onslaught of M3/M4 owners in he G20 sub fora complaining how M being watered down due to the M340i moniker lol. We had one thread that practically brought over almost the entire M villagers voicing their infinite displeasure with the M340i. This covers a brand gamut, some of which are familair rants like: not real M, not special, generic looking, how dare BMW now consider these sub standard models as part of M sub group on BMW USA website, camry is superior at the track , my dog will run circles around it at the track, my RS3 is a better car etc etc lol.
      01-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #677
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
That is what BMW insider Scott said, that American enthusiasts wanted this change. I have been on here since 2009, never once saw anyone complain about the kidney grilles on the M3.

I also, have never wanted the M3 to be even more differentiated from the regular 3 series. The F80 looked perfect with the added M-bits, but some people modded their cars to their personal tastes going for their menacing look. They were able to do so with the aftermarket and make it their own.

BMW could have offered a certain package for those that wanted a certain look, I will never be convinced the entire M3 formula needed to change for people to buy this car.

As for sales, I hope it succeeds, since a manual transmission is on offer and I am also warming up to the looks slightly and hope in person I like it more, but I would have preferred the M340i front with M bits, like the formula has been for decades.

I always thought that the M cars and similar cars in other brands always had almost an intangible look that I couldn't put my finger on that just gave them a more aggressive look. I know what those parts are on the M cars because I know the cars, but before I owned M's and knew much about them they always had this slightly more distinctive look with just that extra little bit of edginess. I also can't say I ever thought they needed to be a ton different than the regular models, but rather just enough to make even the casual observer realize that there is something unique and special about that car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 04:44 PM   #678
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Sad commentary that the compliments tend to be "Not as bad in person as in pictures" or "black looks better as it blends in" or "I'm getting used to it".

We used to love our cars...now BMW wants us to "get used to them".
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25051.00
Transfer5244.00
Swappy531.50
bm4w144.50
      02-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #679
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Sad commentary that the compliments tend to be "Not as bad in person as in pictures" or "black looks better as it blends in" or "I'm getting used to it".

The good news is that BMW is watching us and I guarantee you the LCI will be different (better and fixed)
Appreciate 1
kyleb350422.00
      02-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #680
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Well, I get your point.
But actually, it is the same as if your wife had always long hair and decided to make them a lot shorter...you have to get used to it and on the first sight you may think it looks strange, after a while you start to like it and in the end you do more than the old look (maybe not always ).
Or same as if you had a beard for a long time and then shave..

Don't get me wrong, not everyone is going to like it, but we humans ofter are shocked on very big changes, simply because you are not used to that look, or never associated it with something you know.

This is why you get used to it, if you like it in the end or just think, „not that bad" is a different story.
Appreciate 2
      02-01-2021, 07:31 PM   #681
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
The good news is that BMW is watching us and I guarantee you the LCI will be different (better and fixed)
If by "better and fixed" you think the giant grills will be gone, think again
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 10:31 PM   #682
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
Quote:

I've never seen bmw redesign the front end of the M models for their lci update, they tend to change headlights/tail lights. Unless that's what you were talking about
Previous BMW: E36 Reiger Custom Green vert E46 ///M3 Cabonblack vert E46 ///M3 AW vert E63 645ci AW Coupe E92 ///M3 AW E93 ///M3 SG Vert
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3480.00