home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-23-2022, 02:57 PM   #1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x6m50i

how does m4 valve work?

Hello,

I am posting to ask about how the g82 m4 exhaust valve work. I understand that the valve won't open fully, but I would like to know in what kind of situation would it open a little. I think the exhaust button on the console isnt opening the valves to make it much louder. I heard it is the m2 button but I am not sure which setting must be on for it to work(for example engine must be set to sport plus or something?). Furthermore, is it possible to open the valve before cold start so it is louder at cold start? Right now the car is at its break in so I am not playing it too much. I thought it would be best to ask for a clearer answer.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 08:14 PM   #2
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

On comfort engine setting, the valves are always closed (active sound control button does nothing).

On sport and sport plus, the valves are closed if the ASD button is off (center console exhaust button that lights up green). If that's on, then the valves open and close depending on throttle input (variable open/close). Additionally, fake engine noises are piped into the cabin through the speakers.

M1 and M2 map to a specific set of settings that you define. They affect the valves the same way as the above.

If you buy a valve controller, you can control the valves completely, so you can open them 100%, which is not possible without the controller.

On cold start, the valves are always open. If you turn on ASD on sport/sport plus, it will pipe extra fake noise through the speakers into the cabin, but the cold start will sound identical from the outside.
Psychos1s523.50
      05-24-2022, 01:43 AM   #3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x6m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingplant View Post
On comfort engine setting, the valves are always closed (active sound control button does nothing).

On sport and sport plus, the valves are closed if the ASD button is off (center console exhaust button that lights up green). If that's on, then the valves open and close depending on throttle input (variable open/close). Additionally, fake engine noises are piped into the cabin through the speakers.

M1 and M2 map to a specific set of settings that you define. They affect the valves the same way as the above.

If you buy a valve controller, you can control the valves completely, so you can open them 100%, which is not possible without the controller.

On cold start, the valves are always open. If you turn on ASD on sport/sport plus, it will pipe extra fake noise through the speakers into the cabin, but the cold start will sound identical from the outside.
Such a detailed answer! Thank you! So the active sound design is not on in comfort? Furthermore, the sport and sport plus you are referring to is the engine mode, which is comfort, sport, sport plus, not the m mode which is efficient, sport, track correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 07:33 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingplant View Post

Perfectly said except for the cold start, the valves are closed.

You can open the valves during cold start by selecting M1/M2 and then pressing the gas pedal at least one to activate the change.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2022, 10:23 AM   #5
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2978386166 View Post
Such a detailed answer! Thank you! So the active sound design is not on in comfort? Furthermore, the sport and sport plus you are referring to is the engine mode, which is comfort, sport, sport plus, not the m mode which is efficient, sport, track correct?
Correct, I am referring to the engine setting. The m mode affects only the instrument cluster, HUD, and infotainment systems. It does not affect driving dynamics.