home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

12-11-2023, 11:47 PM   #1
dynamic6er
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Camber Adjustment: Lower Control Arms vs Camber Plates

Maybe I’m totally missing something, but outside of NVH what would be the justification to go with camber plates vs lower control arms? If I’m reading the limited technical info correctly, track width can be slight increased with lower control arms. Maybe I’m misunderstanding something about the geometry or some other gotcha. What do you all think?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 11:47 AM   #2
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
I prefer the lower control arm option, if available, because it becomes much easier to adjust the camber using various thickness shims and I don't have to accommodate the space for the camber plates on top of the struts. Not to mention that with the shims, adjusting camber is a DIY, although you cannot adjust for toe or caster with the them.

Also, I am not sure why you have the impression that NVH would be better/worse with one option vs. the other. I do not think they increase or decrease the NVH with either way, except if the adjustable control arms come with monoballs.
      12-12-2023, 12:46 PM   #3
dynamic6er
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post

Also, I am not sure why you have the impression that NVH would be better/worse with one option vs. the other. I do not think they increase or decrease the NVH with either way, except if the adjustable control arms come with monoballs.
Appreciate the perspective!

I’m just assuming NVH increases will always be a possibility (only installing them will yeild actual results) when going from a rubber isolated bushing to a spherical bushing.

The SPL’s are the ones I’ve been looking at which use a rotating adjustment system. I’ll have to Google to see if there’s a shim style. Barring that I’m guessing I can use degrees of rotation to determine settings. I’ll just have to test for ratios and precision.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 12:05 AM   #4
BrendanZ0402
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 GTP 6MT

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
I like to run camber plates first because I can run a bigger tire! LCA adjustments kinda pushes the tire outwards and doesn’t do much for front wheel fitment. To me LCA’s main benefit is roll center/camber gain adjustment. Or to pull back some camber when you max out the camber plate for tire clearance. Maxed out the spacers on my SPL LCA so that it sits a bit downward! I recommend watching Jackie’s video on SPL stuff since he gets a little bit into the technical stuff. Fallline have the shim style LCA but I have no experience with them.

https://youtu.be/JBvR4PLSqIc?si=WZei0u62VCDNfFRF
Appreciate 2
GT3M2175.50
      12-13-2023, 02:56 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamic6er View Post
Maybe I’m totally missing something, but outside of NVH what would be the justification to go with camber plates vs lower control arms? If I’m reading the limited technical info correctly, track width can be slight increased with lower control arms. Maybe I’m misunderstanding something about the geometry or some other gotcha. What do you all think?
How much are you going to mess with it? You will have to mark your street and track settings either way and know exactly how many turns you need to do on the tie rods to get your toe to zero out, or properly align it every time you make the change.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 08:58 AM   #6
dynamic6er
Enlisted Member
Rep

Interesting info from Bimmerworld about lower control arms vs camberplates.

https://youtu.be/16fY1k71XBw?si=BQGaEOhrVbK09jwE 10:40
Appreciate 2
forcefed2567.00
      12-24-2023, 10:19 AM   #7
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamic6er View Post
Interesting info from Bimmerworld about lower control arms vs camberplates.

https://youtu.be/16fY1k71XBw?si=BQGaEOhrVbK09jwE 10:40
This is a very good video on not just the camber adjustment options, but explaining as plainly as possible how all components are interconnected and influence the behavior of the vehicle. Many lowering their vehicles with HAS only should take note.