home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

12-06-2023, 06:51 PM   #1
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Track on Springs?

Hey guys, so i'm new to suspension for this platform and i'm just not sure whats considered good and what isnt.

I'm looking to lower the car and was considering the KW HAS kit, but then also saw some lowering spring kits like the one from Eibach that are 1/3 of the price and people seem to like them. I am curious about how hard you can beat on these.

The plan for the car is for it to be a daily driver. I dont have a long commute so i dont worry there, however i do plan on taking it to autocross and to the track. I plan on doing a full season of autocross and about 2-3 track days for this year. Would the Eibach or H&R spring kits be good enough and be able to take the beating for things like that? Or should i invest more in something like the KW or MSS HAS kit?

Any information would be great. The last car i installed suspension on was my 2016 BRZ and all i did was KW V2 and it was a street driven car only.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 06:55 PM   #2
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
You mention ‘full-season autox,’ so I assume you know that changing springs will bump you up in classing. If you are okay with that, better go full coilovers, so at least you get better handling and adjustability.

Last edited by BackOnBlack; 12-07-2023 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 07:02 PM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
Hey guys, so i'm new to suspension for this platform and i'm just not sure whats considered good and what isnt.

I'm looking to lower the car and was considering the KW HAS kit, but then also saw some lowering spring kits like the one from Eibach that are 1/3 of the price and people seem to like them. I am curious about how hard you can beat on these.

The plan for the car is for it to be a daily driver. I dont have a long commute so i dont worry there, however i do plan on taking it to autocross and to the track. I plan on doing a full season of autocross and about 2-3 track days for this year. Would the Eibach or H&R spring kits be good enough and be able to take the beating for things like that? Or should i invest more in something like the KW or MSS HAS kit?

Any information would be great. The last car i installed suspension on was my 2016 BRZ and all i did was KW V2 and it was a street driven car only.
Have you taken the car to the track in stock form yet?

If tracking is the goal, I wouldn't waste the money on springs Personally, I would work on getting more familiar with the platform and once you can feel your driving skills improving and you can push further - then skipping springs and putting those funds into a proper coilover setup.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1482.00
      12-06-2023, 07:24 PM   #4
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Have you taken the car to the track in stock form yet?

If tracking is the goal, I wouldn't waste the money on springs Personally, I would work on getting more familiar with the platform and once you can feel your driving skills improving and you can push further - then skipping springs and putting those funds into a proper coilover setup.
The reason I haven't considered full coilovers is because I'm not a hardcore track guy. It's mostly for fun and I don't really chase lap times. It's more just to have some fun going high speeds which I won't do on the street. I still do plan on tracking it stock first just to see what it's like.
As far as autocross goes. Same deal. Just for fun. Not trying to be competitive and so I just stick myself in the for fun group.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 08:43 PM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
The reason I haven't considered full coilovers is because I'm not a hardcore track guy. It's mostly for fun and I don't really chase lap times. It's more just to have some fun going high speeds which I won't do on the street. I still do plan on tracking it stock first just to see what it's like.
As far as autocross goes. Same deal. Just for fun. Not trying to be competitive and so I just stick myself in the for fun group.
I would stick with the stock springs, and go for better brake pads/fluid and reevaluate when driving skills improve to the point in where you feel you are being held back.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 09:38 AM   #6
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
It appears that your main objective is to lower the car for better stance. In this case, I don't think there is really any noticeable difference between HAS kits. They don't really offer much of a performance benefit, get the job done by lowering the chassis. They should all hold up fine to autox and track abuse, but I do not know if there is sufficient data to say that the stock shocks will also hold up with such aftermarket springs.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong in some way.
      12-07-2023, 10:20 AM   #7
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post
It appears that your main objective is to lower the car for better stance. In this case, I don't think there is really any noticeable difference between HAS kits. They don't really offer much of a performance benefit, get the job done by lowering the chassis. They should all hold up fine to autox and track abuse, but I do not know if there is sufficient data to say that the stock shocks will also hold up with such aftermarket springs.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong in some way.
Yeah exactly that's what i was kinda hoping to find. What i want to try to avoid is to install lowering springs just for the shocks to just give out on me after just a few track days, when track days is not really the goal.

That being said the M Performance HAS kit is basically designed for this kinda stuff and since it's made by KW, i'm kinda leaning in that direction. That being said, i might even just spend the extra money and get the M Performance kit just so that BMW will warranty it and cover it if a shock blows.
Appreciate 0