Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

11-26-2023, 10:16 AM   #1
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
KWv3 or Ohlins R&T...again

I’m really struggling to figure out which of these is the better kit for street use. With the Black Friday sales this weekend, it looks like I can get the V3’s $200 cheaper, but that is negligible to me if the Ohlins is the better kit. I’ve been reading all weekend about these two kits and this is what I’ve seemingly learned anecdotally, as well as factually:

Ohlins R&T:
  • “Likely a smoother ride over bumps”
  • “Higher end then KWs”
  • Requires more frequent rebuilds (~20k miles vs ~50k miles on KW v3)
  • Compression/rebound dampening adjustment together (this is neither a pro or con, just a fact)
  • Can be adjusted to be stiffer than KW v3s
  • Swedish-made
  • “Between this kit and KW, it’s really an easy choice: the Ohlins is just better.” <— Was told essentially this by one vendor.

KW v3:
  • Longer travel? Less likely to hit bump stops?
  • Less time between rebuilds than Ohlins
  • Likely better at handling NH winters than the Ohlins (corrosion-wise)
  • Compression/rebound dampening adjustment is separate from one-another (this is neither a pro or con, just a fact)
  • German-made
  • “For your situation, street-driving only, the KWs is in my opinion the best option for you.” <— Was told essentially this by a different vendor than the one that I semi-quoted above for the Ohlins.

Just to be 1000% clear, everything I said above is my understanding and/or interpretation so don’t beat me up for saying what I did…this is post for me to get clarity not to state facts written in stone.

My “situation” so-to-speak, is I have a 2021 M3C RWD. I don’t track and never plan to. I’ve had KW v1’s on a 2013 335xi after a nightmare experience on lowering springs (bouncy as all hell and constantly hitting bump-stops). I loved those v1s, but they were also my only experience with coilovers. I almost always drive around with two car-seats strapped in the backseat for my 3 and 5 year old daughters. However, I usually just have them in my car when I pick them up at the end of the day, usually it’s just me in the car, but regardless I’m saying this to stress this isn’t a track car; it’s a street car that I love to drive semi-hard on these terrible NH roads. So having longevity, with comfort-while-lowered compared to just lowering springs, and improved handling is not only what I’m after, but critically important to me…if that makes sense.

It just seems like a coin flip who i speak to which is the recommmend kit for me. All vendors are telling me that both are great kits, but have thier personal preference. At the end of the day, that just might be reality…meaning I just need to take the “facts” as I know them and make a choice…but I have a feeling I’m not alone here with this predicament, even if it is a great predicament to be in……so I really do welcome all comments/feedback.
      11-26-2023, 11:16 AM   #2
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
With the Black Friday sales this weekend, it looks like I can get the V3’s $200 cheaper,
Don't rush into this just because of a dumb little sale.
Also i would try to find someone local who has either springs or some coilovers and get taken for a ride and then compare.
Appreciate 2
      11-26-2023, 11:27 AM   #3
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Don't rush into this just because of a dumb little sale.
Also i would try to find someone local who has either springs or some coilovers and get taken for a ride and then compare.
Of course….but what you quoted me is misleading. I meant after the sales this weekend, the V3’s are $200 cheaper. They both usually run around $3600-3800. This weekend it’s $31xx and $33xx. So a pretty good sale. Not enough for me to rush, but savings nonetheless.

Regardless you are right about not rushing, but half my problem here is the lack of shops for me to discuss this with, so I’m literally dependent here in southern NH to lean on you guys and this forum. I wish Turner Motorsport was still open down in Andover, MA but they closed up thier consumer shop and they were the only somewhat local place that did BMW work like this and sold the parts to do it.
      11-26-2023, 03:04 PM   #4
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I have Ohlins on my M340i and I have absolutely zero complaints. Fit & finish are second to none, ride quality is excellent and adjustablility is perfect.

Additionally, Ohlins Engineering has stated “the need to overhaul coilovers on a street driven vehicle is not required, only vehicles subjected to harsh conditions such as track use, require special maintenance.”

For transparency, I’ve never owned a set of the KW V3’s
Appreciate 2
Medal483.00
      11-26-2023, 05:10 PM   #5
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
I have Ohlins on my M340i and I have absolutely zero complaints. Fit & finish are second to none, ride quality is excellent and adjustablility is perfect.

Additionally, Ohlins Engineering has stated “the need to overhaul coilovers on a street driven vehicle is not required, only vehicles subjected to harsh conditions such as track use, require special maintenance.”

For transparency, I’ve never owned a set of the KW V3’s
The more I google and read, it just seems like Ohlins is more recommended for my use case. Seems like KWv3’s more adjustability would benefit me on a track, but since I won’t be doing that, seems like Ohlins may be the way to go.

I also just read too though, that some people are having to trade out the springs that come with the Ohlins? For different spring rate? E.g. they are too stiff out of the box? Did you experience anything like this?

I think having that option is a nice-to-have and good-to-know, but not something I’d hope to deal with. Did you have to mess with different spring rates?
      11-26-2023, 07:11 PM   #6
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The more I google and read, it just seems like Ohlins is more recommended for my use case. Seems like KWv3’s more adjustability would benefit me on a track, but since I won’t be doing that, seems like Ohlins may be the way to go.

I also just read too though, that some people are having to trade out the springs that come with the Ohlins? For different spring rate? E.g. they are too stiff out of the box? Did you experience anything like this?

I think having that option is a nice-to-have and good-to-know, but not something I’d hope to deal with. Did you have to mess with different spring rates?
I drove with the stock springs (Eibach) provided by Ohlins and did not feel as they were “too stiff” but again, suspension softness/stiffness is extremely subjective. Personally, I replaced the Eibach springs with Swift springs just because I prefer Swift products, their spring rates, and I feel as if their products are more to my preference (this is in no way insinuating Eibach has a product of lesser quality or superiority).

Take a read at my thread regarding the install:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29088726
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 07:28 PM   #7
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I drove with the stock springs (Eibach) provided by Ohlins and did not feel as they were “too stiff” but again, suspension softness/stiffness is extremely subjective. Personally, I replaced the Eibach springs with Swift springs just because I prefer Swift products, their spring rates, and I feel as if their products are more to my preference (this is in no way insinuating Eibach has a product of lesser quality or superiority).

Take a read at my thread regarding the install:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29088726
That was a great read thanks for sharing. I don’t think I’m doing camber plates, so longer springs should be necessary and hopefully the stock Ohlins suffice. I may or may not do the front strut bushing, as that was recommend.

One question I didn’t see answered here or elsewhere is how these have held up corrosion-wise. Do you live in a harsh winter area? If yes, how have they been with it? I really need them to hold up to winter here in NH. If they do, I think pulling the trigger on these is going to be much easier. I know my old KWv1s on my 2013 335xi held up great over four winters, but I don’t have experience with Ohlins.
      11-26-2023, 07:38 PM   #8
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That was a great read thanks for sharing. I don’t think I’m doing camber plates, so longer springs should be necessary and hopefully the stock Ohlins suffice. I may or may not do the front strut bushing, as that was recommend.

One question I didn’t see answered here or elsewhere is how these have held up corrosion-wise. Do you live in a harsh winter area? If yes, how have they been with it? I really need them to hold up to winter here in NH. If they do, I think pulling the trigger on these is going to be much easier. I know my old KWv1s on my 2013 335xi held up great over four winters, but I don’t have experience with Ohlins.
No worries - actually ended up removing the camber plates and returned to stock plates (never updated the original thread to reflect the change); I ordered a new set of Swift springs and couldn’t be happier.

Unfortunately I reside in Houston so my experience with salty winter roads is extremely limited. Give Ohlins a call, they have terrific customer service and I’m sure they will be able to answer any questions you may have. You can also give Barry a call (his contact information is in my thread) as he has a ton of first hand knowledge on Ohlins products.

Keep us posted on your decision
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 12:04 AM   #9
HI M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Have you looked into the Nitron stuff that's coming out? I'm in the same boat as you between KW and Ohlins, but I'm still holding out for more companies. I'm waiting to hear more about the Nitron Elec-tron line. Looks like it works with the EDC.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 06:40 AM   #10
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Keep us posted on your decision
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI M3 View Post
Have you looked into the Nitron stuff that's coming out? I'm in the same boat as you between KW and Ohlins, but I'm still holding out for more companies. I'm waiting to hear more about the Nitron Elec-tron line. Looks like it works with the EDC.
Yes, I have looked into the Nitron stuff after you shared this response, but that’s a bit too rich for me…at least at the moment.

I’ve decided to hold up. I almost pulled the trigger on the Ohlins but didn’t. I’m actually leaning more towards KW in either the v3 or v4. I just think as of now that the stainless is going to be better for me than the aluminum Ohlins for the NH roads up here.

That said, while I continue to learn and investigate a bit, I’m also going to talk to some suspension shops and see if anyone has experience with Ohlins in a salty/winter climate. I want my facts straight before pulling the trigger so to speak.
      11-28-2023, 10:41 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Ohlins is all about performance; it's the best coilover option for track cars.

KW V3 is more comfortable.

In my opinion, if you are at this level, you should get the best suspension, which is Ohlins in this case. If you want a comfortable daily driver, get a V1 or V2 instead.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2023, 06:38 PM   #12
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Ohlins is all about performance; it's the best coilover option for track cars.

KW V3 is more comfortable.

In my opinion, if you are at this level, you should get the best suspension, which is Ohlins in this case. If you want a comfortable daily driver, get a V1 or V2 instead.
My main concern is longevity as it relates to corrosion. Other than when we have very unplowed roads, I’m out thier driving…so the aluminum has me very concerned on the Ohlins even wiht thier coating. I’ve had the KWv1s on a past car and I know that stainless holds up perfectly, hence why I’m leaning towards the KWv3s’ mike@x-ph.com

You telling me that they are more comfortable than the Ohlins is just icing on the cake. My guess is these two kits are very, very close to each other in the comfort and performance area, but if you have anything else to add I would greatly appreciate it.

Again, I’m not tracking at all and have zero plans to.
      11-28-2023, 07:36 PM   #13
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
I’m really struggling to figure out which of these is the better kit for street use. With the Black Friday sales this weekend, it looks like I can get the V3’s $200 cheaper, but that is negligible to me if the Ohlins is the better kit. I’ve been reading all weekend about these two kits and this is what I’ve seemingly learned anecdotally, as well as factually:

Ohlins R&T:
  • “Likely a smoother ride over bumps”
  • “Higher end then KWs”
  • Requires more frequent rebuilds (~20k miles vs ~50k miles on KW v3)
  • Compression/rebound dampening adjustment together (this is neither a pro or con, just a fact)
  • Can be adjusted to be stiffer than KW v3s
  • Swedish-made
  • “Between this kit and KW, it’s really an easy choice: the Ohlins is just better.” <— Was told essentially this by one vendor.

KW v3:
  • Longer travel? Less likely to hit bump stops?
  • Less time between rebuilds than Ohlins
  • Likely better at handling NH winters than the Ohlins (corrosion-wise)
  • Compression/rebound dampening adjustment is separate from one-another (this is neither a pro or con, just a fact)
  • German-made
  • “For your situation, street-driving only, the KWs is in my opinion the best option for you.” <— Was told essentially this by a different vendor than the one that I semi-quoted above for the Ohlins.

Just to be 1000% clear, everything I said above is my understanding and/or interpretation so don’t beat me up for saying what I did…this is post for me to get clarity not to state facts written in stone.

My “situation” so-to-speak, is I have a 2021 M3C RWD. I don’t track and never plan to. I’ve had KW v1’s on a 2013 335xi after a nightmare experience on lowering springs (bouncy as all hell and constantly hitting bump-stops). I loved those v1s, but they were also my only experience with coilovers. I almost always drive around with two car-seats strapped in the backseat for my 3 and 5 year old daughters. However, I usually just have them in my car when I pick them up at the end of the day, usually it’s just me in the car, but regardless I’m saying this to stress this isn’t a track car; it’s a street car that I love to drive semi-hard on these terrible NH roads. So having longevity, with comfort-while-lowered compared to just lowering springs, and improved handling is not only what I’m after, but critically important to me…if that makes sense.

It just seems like a coin flip who i speak to which is the recommmend kit for me. All vendors are telling me that both are great kits, but have thier personal preference. At the end of the day, that just might be reality…meaning I just need to take the “facts” as I know them and make a choice…but I have a feeling I’m not alone here with this predicament, even if it is a great predicament to be in……so I really do welcome all comments/feedback.
“Between this kit and KW, it’s really an easy choice: the Ohlins is just better.” <— Was told essentially this by one vendor."

If I wasn't the one that originally said that, I agree.

Both are good kits, but IMHO, Ohlins R&T is really the better choice of the two. While Ohlins isn't a track focused kit, it's fantastic for the street and "weekend warrior" use while it can still be used for occasional track events. You'll outgrow them rather quickly as you become a better driver and want to push the car more.

If you're looking for a sporty, performance-oriented kit with the ability to do some canyon carving and still be civil enough to drive to work M-F, then you're definitely be happy with the Ohlins setup.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have, happy to help.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 08:19 PM   #14
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
“Between this kit and KW, it’s really an easy choice: the Ohlins is just better.” <— Was told essentially this by one vendor."

If I wasn't the one that originally said that, I agree.

Both are good kits, but IMHO, Ohlins R&T is really the better choice of the two. While Ohlins isn't a track focused kit, it's fantastic for the street and "weekend warrior" use while it can still be used for occasional track events. You'll outgrow them rather quickly as you become a better driver and want to push the car more.

If you're looking for a sporty, performance-oriented kit with the ability to do some canyon carving and still be civil enough to drive to work M-F, then you're definitely be happy with the Ohlins setup.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have, happy to help.
You most certainly were the person sir, just try to not call out anyone with quotes.

At this point I’m sold that Ohlins is the better kit, even if only marginally, but what about corrosion? You think they will hold up at least nearly as well as the KWv3 would tom @ eas?
      11-29-2023, 12:59 AM   #15
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
You most certainly were the person sir, just try to not call out anyone with quotes.

At this point I’m sold that Ohlins is the better kit, even if only marginally, but what about corrosion? You think they will hold up at least nearly as well as the KWv3 would tom @ eas?
KW might have the advantage in this area, they've done extensive corrosion testing and go into detail on their page here: https://www.kwsuspensions.com/technology/inox_line

We don't see much with corrosion here in Southern California. However, the KW V3 does have a lifetime warranty so if your M3 sees the elements often, this might be the deciding point for you.

In all fairness, in selling and installing the Ohlins systems for the last 12+ years, I've never seen a set damaged by corrosion. If corrosion in your area is enough to take out a set of coilovers in the long run, you'll most likely have other accompanying parts (non-suspension related) alongside with it to look after also.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 06:38 AM   #16
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
KW might have the advantage in this area, they've done extensive corrosion testing and go into detail on their page here: https://www.kwsuspensions.com/technology/inox_line

We don't see much with corrosion here in Southern California. However, the KW V3 does have a lifetime warranty so if your M3 sees the elements often, this might be the deciding point for you.

In all fairness, in selling and installing the Ohlins systems for the last 12+ years, I've never seen a set damaged by corrosion. If corrosion in your area is enough to take out a set of coilovers in the long run, you'll most likely have other accompanying parts (non-suspension related) alongside with it to look after also.
tom @ eas thanks!

What I’ve been thinking about doing is ceramic coating the Ohlins kit along with some kind of anti-corrosion/sieze. It’s not my intention to ride behind the salt trucks all winter long, I just want whatever I get to last and not have buyers remorse.
tom @ eas8216.50
      11-29-2023, 06:13 PM   #17
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
tom @ eas thanks!

What I’ve been thinking about doing is ceramic coating the Ohlins kit along with some kind of anti-corrosion/sieze. It’s not my intention to ride behind the salt trucks all winter long, I just want whatever I get to last and not have buyers remorse.
I'd think you'd most likely have corrosion issues in other untreated (non-galvanized or painted) areas of the vehicle before you would on the coilovers themselves. Coating is a possibility, but you would need to avoid in the thread areas where the adjustment collars are as not to bind when moving the spring perch to raise or lower the vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 08:14 PM   #18
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'd think you'd most likely have corrosion issues in other untreated (non-galvanized or painted) areas of the vehicle before you would on the coilovers themselves. Coating is a possibility, but you would need to avoid in the thread areas where the adjustment collars are as not to bind when moving the spring perch to raise or lower the vehicle.
Absolutely. It would be something I’d take to a mechanic to confirm where I should and shouldn’t put the coating. For the threads, I would only put something like a anti-seize.

I work form him most days anyways, I’m just always overly cautious. I actually like the idea of trying the Ohlins out since I’ve only ever experienced them back in the day on my 2010 Aprilia RSV4-R…you can kind of see them in the picture from the back of the bike…but that bike handled road imperfections wonderfully.
Attached Images

tom @ eas8216.50
      11-29-2023, 11:37 PM   #19
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Absolutely. It would be something I’d take to a mechanic to confirm where I should and shouldn’t put the coating. For the threads, I would only put something like a anti-seize.

I work form him most days anyways, I’m just always overly cautious. I actually like the idea of trying the Ohlins out since I’ve only ever experienced them back in the day on my 2010 Aprilia RSV4-R…you can kind of see them in the picture from the back of the bike…but that bike handled road imperfections wonderfully.
Right there with you. I ride a BMW R NineT myself (also w/ with Ohlins).

Appreciate 1
Medal483.00
      11-30-2023, 06:38 AM   #20
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
I think you’re putting way too much thought into the corrosion thing. No experience with Ohlins, had KW V3 on my f87 and did not have the best experience. The comfort and handling was great , just had a knocking sound that I couldn’t diagnose and also blew a front strut in the first year with my local NY roads. Going ohlins this time around.
Appreciate 1
Medal483.00
      11-30-2023, 07:14 AM   #21
big_ed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

In my opinion this is an easy decision OP. Comfort or track focus.
I had KWs for like 70k miles on my e93, super comfortable suspension that handled superbly at speed. I never tracked that car. FYI driven in nosty NYC roads. Best ride ever for shit roads and a low car.

On the other hand the Ohlins. A friend of mine had Ohlins in his e39 M5 and it made the suspension in his car too stiff for my taste but what matters is that he loved it, again in NYC roads. His car did feel like it was on rails and glued to the road whereas my E93 did not feel "glued" but felt very composed and tight.

So your decision should focus on the quality of your roads, and your desire for comfort or the glued to the road feeling. Both will be very good suspensions and will definitely transform your car.
Appreciate 1
Medal483.00
      11-30-2023, 11:17 AM   #22
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

For strictly street use I think you will find the KW V3 twin tube design and low spring rates to be more comfortable.

However, if you are after more body control, responsiveness, less damper fade, and better track performance the Ohlins R&T is what you want.

We can also custom tailor the Ohlins with lower rate Swift springs to make it very street friendly, but that defeats the purpose of getting the R&T kit.
Appreciate 2
Medal483.00