home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

11-30-2023, 11:25 AM   #23
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI M3 View Post
Have you looked into the Nitron stuff that's coming out? I'm in the same boat as you between KW and Ohlins, but I'm still holding out for more companies. I'm waiting to hear more about the Nitron Elec-tron line. Looks like it works with the EDC.
Here is shot of the Nitron G8x NTR-R3 front strut. The elec-Tron R3 just adds the integration to factory EDC.
Attached Images

Last edited by HP Autosport; 11-30-2023 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 3
      11-30-2023, 10:30 PM   #24
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
I appreciate all this insight. Combining what you guys each just said is essentially how I’ve new looking at these two kits….and yes, definitely over thinking but it’s just how I am. I drive the wife nuts researching everything before I buy it.

I can’t say my decision at this point is any easier, but certainly will be more educated. Thank you. When I do make a choice I’ll be sure to reach out.
      12-01-2023, 06:03 PM   #25
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Here is shot of the Nitron G8x NTR-R3 front strut. The elec-Tron R3 just adds the integration to factory EDC.
Wow those look fantastic. What are these comparable to? Ohlins TTX/ KW Clubsport?

Is there anything about these that differentiate them from KW and Ohlins?
      12-01-2023, 08:15 PM   #26
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
If I'm not mistaken the Nitron is pretty much way more suited for track vs. street, no?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 02:02 AM   #27
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
Wow those look fantastic. What are these comparable to? Ohlins TTX/ KW Clubsport?

Is there anything about these that differentiate them from KW and Ohlins?
These would be comparable to the Ohlins TTX and KW CS/V4. You can spec these as true coilover rears or divorced. You can also spec them with piggy-back or traditional reservoirs.

The Nitrons are fully customizable, like the Ohlins TTX. KW is more of a off the shelf system.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2023, 02:10 AM   #28
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavyyyy View Post
If I'm not mistaken the Nitron is pretty much way more suited for track vs. street, no?
The R3 might be an overkill for the street, but so are MCS 2way reservoir(our second best seller behind the Ohlins R&T). We also have a few customers running TTX on the street on both BMW and Porsche. Great for bench racing!

The R1 2-way without the piggy-back reservoirs costs less and is suitable on both the street and track
Appreciate 1
wavyyyy1045.50
      12-03-2023, 08:19 AM   #29
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
The R3 might be an overkill for the street, but so are MCS 2way reservoir(our second best seller behind the Ohlins R&T). We also have a few customers running TTX on the street on both BMW and Porsche. Great for bench racing!

The R1 2-way without the piggy-back reservoirs costs less and is suitable on both the street and track
Will there be an elec-ton version of it?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 02:55 PM   #30
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavyyyy View Post
Will there be an elec-ton version of it?
The Nitron Elec-Tron coilovers are now available in R1(double adjustable) and R3(triple adjustable) and in divorced or true coilover setups. Base valving can be set manually, and all EDC functions are retained. Your EDC adjustment will stack on top of pre-set manual settings.

If you want more details about spring rates, go here:

https://hpautosport.com/product/nitr...-coilover-kit/
Attached Images

Last edited by HP Autosport; 12-03-2023 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
somer966.00
      12-05-2023, 09:28 AM   #31
placebo0311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition

Garage List
Very interested in this application as one of the reasons I've been dismissive of coilovers is the lack of OEM EDC support. Apologies for the newbie question, but I'm interested in understanding how these systems work. Once you have settings dialed in, are those saved as the comfort mode? As you change from comfort to Sport and Sport+, how does the coilover system change based on what settings you select? If there's any posts or YouTube videos that explain this, certainly throw them my way. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
somer966.00
      12-14-2023, 01:16 PM   #32
MTB656
Rep
Drives: E30 328is

Be aware Öhlins service interval is 60,000 km (37,282 miles) for Road and Track systems used as the product was intended (mixture of street and track driving). The interval is to keep the suspension performance "optimal". Owners can go longer, just like any shock, but will then begin to lose optimal damping performance.

For predominately street driving, that interval can easily increase to 50k miles or more. Just keep the coilover clean and monitor them like any other shock absorber.

As for TTX product, the service is shorter, and the expectation is the owner of a product of that type is using it predominately on the track and wanting to maintain optimum performance. It's interval is closer to the 20k mentioned in the first post (or shorter depending on if it's being races in the 24 hours of le mans or on a factory Koenigsegg...)
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 02:56 PM   #33
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB656 View Post
Be aware Öhlins service interval is 60,000 km (37,282 miles) for Road and Track systems used as the product was intended (mixture of street and track driving). The interval is to keep the suspension performance "optimal". Owners can go longer, just like any shock, but will then begin to lose optimal damping performance.

For predominately street driving, that interval can easily increase to 50k miles or more. Just keep the coilover clean and monitor them like any other shock absorber.

As for TTX product, the service is shorter, and the expectation is the owner of a product of that type is using it predominately on the track and wanting to maintain optimum performance. It's interval is closer to the 20k mentioned in the first post (or shorter depending on if it's being races in the 24 hours of le mans or on a factory Koenigsegg...)
I would use them nothing but daily driving. I would certainly talk with Ohlins around 40-50k miles and see what they recommend
      12-15-2023, 06:49 AM   #34
Brickologic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1MCoupe M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
The more I google and read, it just seems like Ohlins is more recommended for my use case. Seems like KWv3’s more adjustability would benefit me on a track, but since I won’t be doing that, seems like Ohlins may be the way to go.

I also just read too though, that some people are having to trade out the springs that come with the Ohlins? For different spring rate? E.g. they are too stiff out of the box? Did you experience anything like this?

I think having that option is a nice-to-have and good-to-know, but not something I’d hope to deal with. Did you have to mess with different spring rates?
The KW V3 / Öhlins R/T are entry level suspension kits for the road. They have nothing to do with motorsport or track use. People always think a suspension is for a racetrack, if you can adjust the dampers.

Even in an Audi RS4 they are using optional 3-way adjustable kits, and when will you go with a RS4 on a racetrack...

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 08:24 AM   #35
MTB656
Rep
Drives: E30 328is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickologic View Post
The KW V3 / Öhlins R/T are entry level suspension kits for the road. They have nothing to do with motorsport or track use. People always think a suspension is for a racetrack, if you can adjust the dampers.

Even in an Audi RS4 they are using optional 3-way adjustable kits, and when will you go with a RS4 on a racetrack...
This is quite a broad generalization considering the success the Öhlins R&T system has has in the "trackday" market as well as owners using these dampers in entry level competition use.

They have even finished very well in the 24 hours of Nürburgring race but I can't find the details on that result at the moment to share with the group.

But yes, the R&T systems are not within the true "motorsport" catalog of Öhlins, but they are targeted toward a daily driver/trackday use case and satisfy that use case particularly well.

Thanks, Bricklogic in opening up that discussion point and allow the opportunity to clarify to other members of the forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 11:50 AM   #36
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickologic View Post

Although I also agree with the statement that KW v3 and Ohlin R/T can be considered entry-level, I differ in view about your implication that they are not for the racetrack. It is probably just the use of the words, more than anything.

When we go to a track day, it is on a racetrack. When people go for club racing that is "motorsport." It is not professional level, but it is competitive motorsport on racetracks. Track days and club racing is very popular in the US, particularly with the BMW and Porsche owners, and they are hugely popular with very high participation in SCCA racing, time trials, Solo, ProSolo, etc., not to mention other organizations like NASA. They are all motorsports, granted amateur level.

The majority of those racers use KW, Nitron, Ohlins, and several other trusted brands front V3 to V5, from R/T to full-on race kits. It is just a matter of money.

Most people on these boards are a bit different. They seem to put on these coilovers for aesthetics mostly, and it appears to me they do not much visit the racetracks. However, that does not mean these entry-level systems are not worth the money. If you know how to use such coilovers, I think they are significantly helpful and increase track performance for either competitive purposes or just for personal fun.