BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

11-19-2023, 11:28 AM   #1
AlfonsM
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e, BMW M3 G80

End of this summer I felt some vibrations when braking and the BMW-shop took it in and found that the right rear brake disc needs to be changed. Car is one year old. No warranty covers it and both rear disc + pads needs to be changed to approx 1500 USD. No goodwill either😭

I went to one track day and the vibrations did not occur after that day, it came 2-3 months later. Otherwise ”normal” driving.
Anyone with simular experience? Is this was to expect, new pair of discs every year?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Brakes. They are consumables, especially on this car. Swap it out and get on with your life.
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2023, 04:12 PM   #3
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i xdrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsM View Post
End of this summer I felt some vibrations when braking and the BMW-shop took it in and found that the right rear brake disc needs to be changed. Car is one year old. No warranty covers it and both rear disc + pads needs to be changed to approx 1500 USD. No goodwill either😭

I went to one track day and the vibrations did not occur after that day, it came 2-3 months later. Otherwise ”normal” driving.
Anyone with simular experience? Is this was to expect, new pair of discs every year?
If you are tracking … go back to bmw and purchase maintenance plan. You will have regular rotors and pads replacement when you need without bigger issues. Costs are equal to the rotors setup.

Btw: they should not only change rotors but also pads, and you will be total over 3k or even 4k. They charged bmw 2.5k just for my back rotors and pads but warranty covered it; as my pads were wear out in a way the sensor this not triger the light and I did scrape the rotors with wear our pad. They did not blame me and warranty covered it. Not even maintanance plan.

PS. I think your dealer is not supportive to ypir case. This is M car not regular 3 serious. When I went with brakes issue all were happy that car is driven like M car ! Hard !!!
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1482.00
      11-28-2023, 04:40 PM   #4
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Depend on what driving skill you drive on track as well as the track condition. If you are pushing every corner very hard with DSC fully on. It burn a lot on the rear brake.

If you didn't know, a BMW replacement battery in the G9X is about $1500+. On top you have to pay for reprograming. If you haven't got yourself a battery charger, it is time to invest into one lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 04:45 PM   #5
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostro View Post
If you are tracking … go back to bmw and purchase maintenance plan. You will have regular rotors and pads replacement when you need without bigger issues. Costs are equal to the rotors setup.

Btw: they should not only change rotors but also pads, and you will be total over 3k or even 4k. They charged bmw 2.5k just for my back rotors and pads but warranty covered it; as my pads were wear out in a way the sensor this not triger the light and I did scrape the rotors with wear our pad. They did not blame me and warranty covered it. Not even maintanance plan.

PS. I think your dealer is not supportive to ypir case. This is M car not regular 3 serious. When I went with brakes issue all were happy that car is driven like M car ! Hard !!!
Another expensive item you need to prepare to pay out of your pocket if you track your car often is tires. The G8X is a heavy car, tires doesn't last long. To me, I love my G82, but she can be high maintenance if you drive her to her full potential lol
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2023, 04:47 PM   #6
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
Depend on what driving skill you drive on track as well as the track condition. If you are pushing every corner very hard with DSC fully on. It burn a lot on the rear brake.

If you didn't know, a BMW replacement battery in the G9X is about $1500+. On top you have to pay for reprograming. If you haven't got yourself a battery charger, it is time to invest into one lol.
Oh yes. Track days killed my rear padds as you said. What was it… 11k or 12k miles and those were done… i did not monitor it so for sure 2 track weekends made them RIP :-)

Dang… battery… have a battery charger… will start monitoring it as i already had one message from my app about low battery voltage. :-(
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1482.00
      11-30-2023, 05:52 PM   #7
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh yes. Track days killed my rear padds as you said. What was it… 11k or 12k miles and those were done… i did not monitor it so for sure 2 track weekends made them RIP :-)

Dang… battery… have a battery charger… will start monitoring it as i already had one message from my app about low battery voltage. :-(
I know, there is no free lunch. We got ourselves such a fun car. We take care of her, she will provide so much enjoyment to us.
Appreciate 1
Bostro530.00
      11-30-2023, 09:50 PM   #8
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsM View Post

Sounds like you wore down your rear pads quite a bit at the track and then months later, got them hot enough to either leave pad deposits or slightly damage the rotor. If you don't see any odd grooves on the rotors, it's probably the former instead of the latter. The benefit is that you can just replace the brake pads (at an independent shop). Any pad deposits on the rotors will go away with new pads. It happened to me after a few thousand miles of a fairly bad steering wheel shake due to pad deposits that is now perfectly smooth.

Dealerships will always push for a rotor replacement with brake pads to avoid people returning because "it still squeals/shakes".
      11-30-2023, 10:12 PM   #9
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Sounds like you wore down your rear pads quite a bit at the track and then months later, got them hot enough to either leave pad deposits or slightly damage the rotor. If you don't see any odd grooves on the rotors, it's probably the former instead of the latter. The benefit is that you can just replace the brake pads (at an independent shop). Any pad deposits on the rotors will go away with new pads. It happened to me after a few thousand miles of a fairly bad steering wheel shake due to pad deposits that is now perfectly smooth.

Dealerships will always push for a rotor replacement with brake pads to avoid people returning because "it still squeals/shakes".
Clarification on dealership pushing for rotora replacement.

This is true in the way that BMW has raised the bar for M cars when it comes to rotors thickness at the time of pads replacements. My foreman told me on my previous generation M4 in most cases you could have two sets of pads for one set of rotors. For new Gxx generation they raised the limit when you need to exchange the rotors and this comes from BMW, not delearship which also said it is non-sense but … this is what it is. If they would change only pads delership would have serious liability issues due to BMW policy violation. As I wrote above, experienced this but in my case bmw paid for all rotors, so for me all was to my advantage. Our cars are not cheap to drive soft or hard :-D
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 11:57 AM   #10
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Clarification on dealership pushing for rotora replacement.

This is true in the way that BMW has raised the bar for M cars when it comes to rotors thickness at the time of pads replacements. My foreman told me on my previous generation M4 in most cases you could have two sets of pads for one set of rotors. For new Gxx generation they raised the limit when you need to exchange the rotors and this comes from BMW, not delearship which also said it is non-sense but … this is what it is. If they would change only pads delership would have serious liability issues due to BMW policy violation. As I wrote above, experienced this but in my case bmw paid for all rotors, so for me all was to my advantage. Our cars are not cheap to drive soft or hard :-D
I love this statement. "Our cars are not cheap to drive soft or hard" My excuse to take the car for tracking every 2 week to get my pennies worth
Appreciate 1
Bostro530.00
      12-01-2023, 03:07 PM   #11
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
I love this statement. "Our cars are not cheap to drive soft or hard" My excuse to take the car for tracking every 2 week to get my pennies worth
I really wish more people would do that, including me
eugenebmw1482.00
      12-04-2023, 02:29 PM   #12
AlfonsM
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e, BMW M3 G80

Thanks for all input😊🙏🏼
The dealer did show me a video the mecanic had made of the disc, it looks warped. The price 1500 USD (approx, I live in Sweden) is including both discs and pads.

I did about 40 minutes total track driving with full DSC on, maybe that did something.

However now the car is in winter hibination. In the meantime I will consider if I will change the rears for 1500 or if I will go for the maintance plan for 3500. I guess If I dont go for the plan, another couple of discs will fail and if I go with the plan nothing will needed to be changed 😁
Appreciate 0