Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfreebooter View Post
i haven't been keeping up on racechrono pro but checked out the forums because of this thread and the app and forums are decently active and the app gets updates. seems like trackaddict and race renderer are pretty much on idle.

going to give racechrono pro a go on next track outing
It's time for a Solo and Smarty investment.
it's really unclear what solo supports on the g80 platform. any pdf i found seems incomplete or references f8x platform. i've emailed them and i asked for clarification but have not gotten a reply. i would pay whatever for something that worked and worked well

that being said, the $900 i paid already was amazing and had the irreplaceable HUD support. so sad lol
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 10:02 PM   #24
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
i haven't been keeping up on racechrono pro but checked out the forums because of this thread and the app and forums are decently active and the app gets updates. seems like trackaddict and race renderer are pretty much on idle.

going to give racechrono pro a go on next track outing
It's time for a Solo and Smarty investment.
it's really unclear what solo supports on the g80 platform. any pdf i found seems incomplete or references f8x platform. i've emailed them and i asked for clarification but have not gotten a reply. i would pay whatever for something that worked and worked well

that being said, the $900 i paid already was amazing and had the irreplaceable HUD support. so sad lol
Duh, great point on the new protocol. I wonder if they're working with bmw directly to decode the related CAN.

Yeah, huge bummer on the native track solution. Sorry man!
      08-15-2022, 10:45 AM   #25
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Racechrono Pro has potential. It has CAN-BUS interface when using the OBDLink MX+ or CX. Additionally, in beta, it has a DIY API for custom data sources, like adriuno based CANBUS sniffer.

The OBDLink route grabs the CANBUS high/low signals from the OBD port pins, and while its probably filtered, there appears to be data of some sort coming through. Hopefully it fast enough and has decent set of fields for track purposes.

Otherwise, it maybe possible to put a tiny ardiuno bluetooth/canbus device tapped into the canbus high/low wires somewhere else and use this new API with Racechrono Pro.

Just ordered PiCan2 hat + OBD-II cable to start sniffing the CANBUS stream off the OBD-II port and see what is coming through and what can be reversed engineered for the g8x platform.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 11:15 AM   #26
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Racechrono Pro has potential. It has CAN-BUS interface when using the OBDLink MX+ or CX. Additionally, in beta, it has a DIY API for custom data sources, like adriuno based CANBUS sniffer.

The OBDLink route grabs the CANBUS high/low signals from the OBD port pins, and while its probably filtered, there appears to be data of some sort coming through. Hopefully it fast enough and has decent set of fields for track purposes.

Otherwise, it maybe possible to put a tiny ardiuno bluetooth/canbus device tapped into the canbus high/low wires somewhere else and use this new API with Racechrono Pro.

Just ordered PiCan2 hat + OBD-II cable to start sniffing the CANBUS stream off the OBD-II port and see what is coming through and what can be reversed engineered for the g8x platform.
I don't think they know what they're talking about but..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-15-2022, 11:35 AM   #27
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

yea, i got the same response from BMW customer care. But Matthias's response from mlaptimer.feedback@bmw.com, he is associated with M Laptimer app itself, so i am guessing he knows more than BMW customer service and most of BMW doesn't have any clue this is even happening.. lol

also there is nothing to re-download, as the M Laptimer has been removed from the iOS AppStore…
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 06:00 PM   #28
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i 2014

Quote:
yea, i got the same response from BMW customer care. But Matthias's response from mlaptimer.feedback@bmw.com, he is associated with M Laptimer app itself, so i am guessing he knows more than BMW customer service and most of BMW doesn't have any clue this is even happening.. lol

also there is nothing to re-download, as the M Laptimer has been removed from the iOS AppStore…
Hey man,

Sad to hear that the app is not available anymore... I used it a lot with my small 1er and the data quality was really amazing. I even put up a website (www.easy-telemetry.com) that parses the telemetry for using with Dashware or Racerender or, even better, integrate with the high res GPS of the GoPro's camera.

Curiosly, the app still works on my iphone, so I'll keep using until some update on the iOS messes it up.

I also have interest in finding a OBD dongle that can acquire good quality data for the Bimmers. So, if you need any assistance for analysing/ parsing code, please write to me: easytelem@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 08:30 PM   #29
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Race Chrono pro seems promising but car data (turn degree, rpm, etc.) is missing so that's something I need to figure out
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 09:25 PM   #30
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackEnthusiast View Post
Quote:

Hey man,

Sad to hear that the app is not available anymore... I used it a lot with my small 1er and the data quality was really amazing. I even put up a website (www.easy-telemetry.com) that parses the telemetry for using with Dashware or Racerender or, even better, integrate with the high res GPS of the GoPro's camera.

Curiosly, the app still works on my iphone, so I'll keep using until some update on the iOS messes it up.

I also have interest in finding a OBD dongle that can acquire good quality data for the Bimmers. So, if you need any assistance for analysing/ parsing code, please write to me: easytelem@gmail.com
yea, my iOS app hasn't updated for a long time, they pushed an update to the iDrive app that more or less disables the connectivity to the phone app. There is nothing for them to push on the iOS side as the app itself has been fully removed from the AppStore.

i just did a DIY CAN-BUS device, trying it out with RaceChrono Pro's DIY Bluetooth LE API and adafruit + mp2515 chip for reading the canbus. Unfortunately the can bus pins on the OBD2 port, pins 6/14, are not your standard canbus stream of data, they are some sort of request/reply protocol (different from OBD2 protocol), noted here -> https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/b...-0x130.927805/ that is the same behavior i am seeing on my G80 when trying to access can-bus via OBD2 pins.

so now i've tapped to canbus in the passenger side footwell, following the AIM SOLO2 documentation. this should give my DIY device a proper CAN-BUS dataflow but i have yet to test it out and wont have time to get back to this project for a couple of days. Also just considering a AIM SOLO2 DL now that went through the trouble to tap into the real can wires… Might be a better solution then yet another side project of making my own hardware and software, lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 03:53 AM   #31
M4Tejas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G82 M4xDrive

Talking

15.6.1 just dropped on TMUS/TMobile network. iPhone ProMax 13

2022 M4 Comp xDrive Aventurin Red Metallic
https://wieninger.de/ Seit 1666
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 06:40 AM   #32
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i 2014

Quote:
yea, my iOS app hasn't updated for a long time, they pushed an update to the iDrive app that more or less disables the connectivity to the phone app. There is nothing for them to push on the iOS side as the app itself has been fully removed from the AppStore.
... l
Man, you are definettly on another level. For the bare mortals, that doesn't acctually understand how this chips whichery works, an OBD dongle and RaceChrono/Harrys will be the way out. By the matter of curiosity, which data rate you were able to achieve with these dongles, of the many you tried?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 02:36 PM   #33
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
no more laps. no more lap times in HUD, delta, and best, which was amazing, the delta in red/orange color in HUD
Not surprising. They market them as motorsport cars meant to be driven on track but when you do they point out the disclaimer in the owner's handbook (which contradicts other statements in the same handbook) that says they won't cover things under warranty when driven on track. I've written to BMW NA asking for clarification on this but have not heard back yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 06:51 PM   #34
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackEnthusiast View Post
Quote:
... l
Man, you are definettly on another level. For the bare mortals, that doesn't acctually understand how this chips whichery works, an OBD dongle and RaceChrono/Harrys will be the way out. By the matter of curiosity, which data rate you were able to achieve with these dongles, of the many you tried?
i've tried RaceChrono Pro, Harry's Laptimer (Grand Prix Edition), and TrackAddict. without a doubt, the OBDLink MX+ is the fastest OBD-2 solution. note that it does not work with TrackAddict. with 3 values (RPM, throttle, engine oil temp), was able to get around 6hz with RaceChrono and Harrys. That was average, but definitely see dips to like 2hz from time to time. the OBDLink CX and Kiwi3, i was able to get around 3-4hz for the same 3 values being logged with all 3 apps. MX+ with only 1 value, like RPM, i could see upwards of 10hz.
Appreciate 1
beachBmmr1447.00
      08-21-2022, 06:56 PM   #35
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

so i did some more testing with DIY can-bus device. connected through the OBD-2 port, i was able to get 29 can messages per second, but given those messages are all sh*t and worthless.. i decided to tap into the main nervous system, lol.

as soon as i connected my device, it jumped up to 1700 messages per second with the car off! now i certainly don't care about most of those messages, but still very promising. also the RaceChrono API uses Bluetooth LE, so bandwidth is limited, but after pruning things down and selectively choosing max frequencies for each pid, i don't think bluetooth LE is going to be an issue. for example, no need to send fuel level at can-bus line speed, i could send that at most 5hz and still be accurate enough for any purpose and not clog the bluetooth bandwidth up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
beachBmmr1447.00
      08-25-2022, 10:19 AM   #36
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

https://aim-sportline.com/download/e...cu_100_eng.pdf

The PDF has the CAN integration instructions and what data is available at the moment. They develop at a glacial place and only in the last year did they make the DCT temperatures available for the E9x M3.
      08-29-2022, 01:08 PM   #37
Triton88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BG M3C, 2016 Focus RS

I was at the track this weekend and was able to use the app with no problems, recorded video and everything. iPhone was running IO 15.6.1
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 02:24 PM   #38
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton88 View Post
I was at the track this weekend and was able to use the app with no problems, recorded video and everything. iPhone was running IO 15.6.1
yea, it was confirmed that they are sunsetting this by the developer of the actual app. the app has been removed iOS app store. if you get a car now, you will not be able to download the app. there is also an update for the iDrive app, which once you get that, it will remove the ability to talk to the iOS app. so as long as you never update your iDrive and/or iDrive apps, it should continue working for you.

for whatever reason, my iDrive apps updated, removing the feature for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 05:37 PM   #39
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

I have to say Im pretty happy with the capability of RaceChrono…looking at two consecutive sector runs I can see how a bad corner entry added 2/10ths to my fastest lap. The external gps is much more precise.

This is much more useful than laptimer was
Attached Images

08-29-2022, 10:41 PM   #40
Vote Quimby
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, G01 X3 M40i

Well, I'm just getting caught up here, but I think this situation is total horseshit. Like many of yourselves, ideally some more litigious than I am, I was expecting just to use the M Laptimer. This is functionality that was advertised when I ordered the car and then unceremoniously removed before I took delivery of it. I didn’t even realize it was missing until I went to set it up.

So before we go down all sorts of rabbit holes to find alternatives here, none of which will give us HUD support anyways, are we sure there isn’t more runway to pursue this? I ask that because while the existing iOS app has clearly been retired, the concept hasn’t been abandoned. They haven't suddenly soured on track use, they’ve simply migrated to a standalone implementation in iDrive 8:

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...-laptimer.html

This would ostensibly leave the iDrive 7 builds SOL, were it not for this Easter egg:

“The new, smartphone-independent app is also available for the BMW M4 CSL.”

This implies to me that there is a viable ID7 solution being brought forward, perhaps grudgingly. But unless I’ve misunderstood the situation, the product exists. Acknowledging that this alone doesn’t solve the problem, I wanted to share that fixing it does seem to be in the realm of the possible.

I’ll step back now and leave those who have a deeper understanding of cars and computers opine as to whether this actually has any bearing.
Appreciate 1
Kaiz3n0.00
      08-30-2022, 01:34 PM   #41
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote Quimby View Post
Well, I'm just getting caught up here, but I think this situation is total horseshit. Like many of yourselves, ideally some more litigious than I am, I was expecting just to use the M Laptimer. This is functionality that was advertised when I ordered the car and then unceremoniously removed before I took delivery of it. I didn’t even realize it was missing until I went to set it up.

So before we go down all sorts of rabbit holes to find alternatives here, none of which will give us HUD support anyways, are we sure there isn’t more runway to pursue this? I ask that because while the existing iOS app has clearly been retired, the concept hasn’t been abandoned. They haven't suddenly soured on track use, they’ve simply migrated to a standalone implementation in iDrive 8:

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...-laptimer.html

This would ostensibly leave the iDrive 7 builds SOL, were it not for this Easter egg:

“The new, smartphone-independent app is also available for the BMW M4 CSL.”

This implies to me that there is a viable ID7 solution being brought forward, perhaps grudgingly. But unless I’ve misunderstood the situation, the product exists. Acknowledging that this alone doesn’t solve the problem, I wanted to share that fixing it does seem to be in the realm of the possible.

I’ll step back now and leave those who have a deeper understanding of cars and computers opine as to whether this actually has any bearing.
If they have that feature for ID7 they need to bring it forward. I've started to use RaceChrono which is good, but I don't accept just taking features from me
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 06:50 PM   #42
jocamero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Just wanted to share my experience:

The ID7 app and HUD worked for me at an HPDE this weekend. The iOS app no longer works for me even when connected via USB.

This is the first time I was able to get it to work and lap times and color coded deltas in the HUD is awesome.

I last tried to get this all to work a few months ago and the iOS app had functionality but would not record laps, only 1 full session of laps and nothing in the HUD. i.e. one 20 min lap, not ten 2 minute laps My multiple emails to BWM weren’t responded to.

Last edited by jocamero; 09-05-2022 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #43
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamero View Post
Just wanted to share my experience:

The ID7 app and HUD worked for me at an HPDE this weekend. The iOS app no longer works for me even when connected via USB.

This is the first time I was able to get it to work and lap times and color coded deltas in the HUD is awesome.

I last tried to get this all to work a few months ago and the iOS app had functionality but would not record laps, only 1 full session of laps and nothing in the HUD. i.e. one 20 min lap, not ten 2 minute laps My multiple emails to BWM weren’t responded to.
Is your car running Idrive 7 7/21 update? Does it give you a way to export or review data on screen?

Last edited by PDOT; 09-06-2022 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 05:33 PM   #44
jocamero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Yes, running version 07/2021.46. I purchased the car November 2021 and I'm unaware of any updates since then.

In iDrive I don't see a way to do anything other than start and stop the timer. I can't even see sessions that are minutes old after stopping and starting the timer again.

The iOS app won't connect to the car anymore and I can only see the sessions from many months ago when it was working.

Coincidentally? The ParkMobile app doesn't work anymore either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDOT View Post
Is your car running Idrive 7 7/21 update? Does it give you a way to export or review data on screen?
Appreciate 0