home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

01-27-2024, 08:40 PM   #1
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I know I was not impressed when I saw our cars deliver with the PUNY 1-caliper rear brake setup. I looked for alternatives but current offerings from Essex are $5K. Paragon removes the emergency parking brake (EPB) function requiring us to code the EPB out.

BUT FINALLY…

Now available from our BimmerPost buddy
dentprotony@gmail.com
is a custom-made setup that includes:
-custom black anodized brackets w/ bolts
-4 piston calipers with ceramic pads
-EPB calipers with pads
-brake lines with banjo bolts
You can pick red or blue calipers for the base price, and he offers custom colors for a small upcharge.

You reuse your stock BMW rotors and EPB motors for an OEM+ setup. The brake rotor backing plate is removed and not used, same with the EPB cable bracket. The new brake lines route well without touching nearby suspension. I put my 18x10.5 Apex race wheels on to check gaps and I could still fit my fingertips between the barrel and both calipers. I’m not worried about rocks scraping.

Go hit him up and get your order placed!
The price is sooo nice. Don’t ask me, go ask Tony!

Disclaimer: I was offered a nice discount because I spent a full day mocking things up, measurements, tons of photos and FaceTime, and suggesting improvements. Tony was nice to work with, and I hear good things about him from others here on BPost and on IG.
Attached Images

Fidiman113.00
      01-27-2024, 09:34 PM   #2
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

Thank you for the shout out Jimmy! A few on here know me from other forums (primarily x5m, f10 m5, e39 m5, e70 and f15), i am well known to offer budget friendly solutions to factory issues (driveshafts on f15/f15), as well as big brake kits that look 🔥🔥🔥🔥, offer excellent and consistent braking performance, as well as great and responsive customer service overall. I started a few years ago when i was able to fit a Porsche Cayenne brake set up onto my personal e70 x5, and I realized that with the help of an excellent machine shop (we have a state of the art facility locally in my town), we have a small rice performance shop that can scan things like spindles and suspension and can do cad projects, top notch paint and restoration shop, and a great cnc facility that does my work in Chicago area, i can make things work.
So over time i expanded into different platforms, took ideas and solutions from other manufacturers, and in the end i can offer some badass kits at a fairly affordable price.
Long story short, we did some test fitting and measuring on Jimmys beautiful m3 today, to fit a full size 4 piston bbk with a separate epb (dual caliper set up), so your parking brake still functions as intended, but you get a bigger monoblock 19z brembo caliper with carbon ceramic pads (not a puny floater that came from factory ), and a tesla model S electric caliper that works with the stock actuator via a small adapter. Bracket is milled out of a chunk of 7075 aluminum for sufficient strength and should hold anything you can throw at it. I plan on offering these kits at 1880 shipped, hope this sounds fair to the m3/m4 community. Kit is made to work with the stock rear rotor and should easily clear 18” wheels for thos who track. There is a chance to fit some 17” but that we would need to confirm as we go. Whole set up is made to be a plug and play direct bolt on without any cutting, drilling, or any other bs. Just install, bleed, and ride.
Jimmy’s kit should be out of paint in about 1.5-2 weeks, after that i would try to offer these for sale at about 1-2 kits per week rate (takes time to machine, prep, paint, pack, etc).
Please let me know if you think i am onto something and there would be significant demand for these in this community, hope i can make you look back at your beast one more extra time while she’s sitting in the parking lot 👍
Appreciate 4
TopJimmy5460.00
IcebergM4361.00
moonluv8102494.00
Needsdecaf6599.00
      01-28-2024, 11:17 PM   #3
1BAD4DR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 23 G80

Good Luck with sales great idea, quick question why does the main caliper look backwards? Any better designed calipers that match front OEM shape and size?
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 03:34 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Essex/AP Racing g8x brake kit does not require the rear EPB to be coded out. Their rear brake kit is offered with and without a second small parking brake caliper. Brake pad sensors do not need to be coded out.

The caliper and pad combination shown in the OP do a poor job of covering the full swept area of the brake rotor. How do the piston areas compare with the stock piston area?

Last edited by M3SQRD; 01-29-2024 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5460.00
      01-29-2024, 07:10 AM   #5
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Love what you are doing here, conceptually! I want to ask about how this kit affects the brake bias? Have you done the math? Can you share with us piston sizes for the new and old calipers?

I am curious why the rear calipers are being moved behind the rear axle point? Ideally, the unsprung weight needs to be kept between the axles for better performance.

P.S. I was thinking about researching if the F87 M2 rear calipers will bolt up, but haven't gotten the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 07:23 AM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD4DR View Post
Good Luck with sales great idea, quick question why does the main caliper look backwards? Any better designed calipers that match front OEM shape and size?
Because of where the EPB cable connects the EPB occupies the spot the OEM caliper sits. The Brembo caliper moves to the upper rear where hoses reach, and so no debris accumulates in the calipers.
      01-29-2024, 07:27 AM   #7
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Essex/AP Racing g8x brake kit does not require the rear EPB to be coded out. Their rear brake kit is offered with and without a second small parking brake caliper. Brake pad sensors do not need to be coded out.

The caliper and pad combination shown in the OP do a poor job of covering the full swept area of the brake rotor. How do the piston areas compare with the stock piston area?
The set I was installed was to check fitment, and the delivered units will have the Brembo caliper sitting an additional 2mm deeper into the rotor, for a perfect sweep.
      01-29-2024, 07:30 AM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
I want to ask about how this kit affects the brake bias? Have you done the math? Can you share with us piston sizes for the new and old calipers?
As for piston size or brake bias I defer to dentprotony@gmail.com
      01-29-2024, 07:33 AM   #9
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for correcting. I edited the first post for clarity.
      01-29-2024, 07:40 AM   #10
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
The set I was installed was to check fitment, and the delivered units will have the Brembo caliper sitting an additional 2mm deeper into the rotor, for a perfect sweep.
So the pad currently sticks up beyond the brake rotor OD? The unswept area, and more specifically pad inner radius, is more than 2 mm. Are there pads with different heights (radial depths) available for this caliper? The current brake pad used in the pics, who’s the manufacturer and part number? What car manufacturer and model is this caliper from?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 07:51 AM   #11
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So the pad currently sticks up beyond the brake rotor OD? The unswept area, and more specifically pad inner radius, is more than 2 mm. Are there pads with different heights (radial depths) available for this caliper? The current brake pad used in the pics, who’s the manufacturer and part number?
Yes, in the beta kit which I tried for fitment the Brembo caliper had the pad sticking out a hair over the rotor lip. The production units will have the caliper moved inboard slightly to center in the rotor face.

Since the caliper is from a common performance vehicle I’ve already seen pads from EBC, Powerstop, Hawk and others. I asked iSweep if they have IS2000 pads for this setup and they said yes.

In the pic you see a Powerstop but I’m not sure of the part number. You can send a PM to Tony for that detail.
      01-29-2024, 09:51 AM   #12
TselaG80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMB G80 M3 X-Drive

will this fit CCBs?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:38 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Looking forward to your review on how it brakes vs stock and whether the upgrade is worth it for daily cars that never see the track.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5460.00
      01-29-2024, 12:08 PM   #14
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TselaG80 View Post
will this fit CCBs?
No. This caliper kit works with the OEM iron rear rotors, not CCB rear rotors.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5460.00
      01-29-2024, 09:18 PM   #15
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Love what you are doing here, conceptually! I want to ask about how this kit affects the brake bias? Have you done the math? Can you share with us piston sizes for the new and old calipers?

I am curious why the rear calipers are being moved behind the rear axle point? Ideally, the unsprung weight needs to be kept between the axles for better performance.

P.S. I was thinking about researching if the F87 M2 rear calipers will bolt up, but haven't gotten the time.
Thanks man, appreciate your support, this caliper has all 4 equal diameter pistons (30mm vs 51mm stock) so it is non-directional and can be mounted in lead position or however it is necessary (it comes towards front on touaregs and sits in the back on Porsche Panamera), unsprung weight is more referred to a moving parts like wheels, brake rotors, flywheels, but we are keeping your stock rotor. As on brake bias, total piston areas compare at 180 vs 160 which adds to minimal (about 11-13%) increase in piston area. Given that rear brakes do only 30% of work this difference is negligible.
All this is definitely something to upgrade and install at your own risk, i am not a mechanic, i just get lucky sometimes
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:28 PM   #16
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So the pad currently sticks up beyond the brake rotor OD? The unswept area, and more specifically pad inner radius, is more than 2 mm. Are there pads with different heights (radial depths) available for this caliper? The current brake pad used in the pics, who’s the manufacturer and part number? What car manufacturer and model is this caliper from?
Thank you M3sqd for your support in this project, pad was about 1-2mm past the rotor, and was about 5mm away from the inner edge , we will adjust by bringing caliper in by 3.5mm to have it in a sweet spot and avoid the rust ring. Of you look at the f85 stock front, or f80 oem front set up you will see that pad is away from the inner edge by at least 5mm.
Current caliper used in the kit is a Porsche Panamera rear caliper, they came in different part numbers due to some being anodized, others black, others came in red or lime green. We use basic silver because they are most readily available off 3.6 panamera. Pad is powerstop z23 carbon ceramic pad , this caliper supports a ton of pad options from different compounds to numerous manufacturers including powerstop, ebcbrakes, hawk and many others. Pad part number is z23-1417. There is 2 radial heights pads available for this caliper but given the disc sizing we only can use bigger pad.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:30 PM   #17
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No. This caliper kit works with the OEM iron rear rotors, not CCB rear rotors.

Its a yes and no, depending on the size and offset of the ccb rotor it might be direct fir if the rotor is identical. Good news is that porsche offered carbon ceramic brakes on their panameras so proper pad is available if needed
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:32 PM   #18
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Looking forward to your review on how it brakes vs stock and whether the upgrade is worth it for daily cars that never see the track.
I should have Jimmys kit out of paint with proper adjustments by the end of next week hopefully. Machine shop been crazy busy unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:34 PM   #19
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TselaG80 View Post
will this fit CCBs?
Not sure if the disc is the same. I have measurements for the steel disc, if you can find a little time and measure out your ccb disc we can compare, there is a good chance it might be the same, if so then it would be a direct fit 👍 you can pm me and we can go from there
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 04:41 AM   #20
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentprotony@gmail.com View Post
Not sure if the disc is the same. I have measurements for the steel disc, if you can find a little time and measure out your ccb disc we can compare, there is a good chance it might be the same, if so then it would be a direct fit 👍 you can pm me and we can go from there
I'm like 90% sure the rear CCCB rotors are a bit bigger than the steel ones. By what amount I'm not sure. I think like 10mm-20mm, similar to the size difference between CCBs and steel in the front. I'm not sure how that would translate to this "kit". Though admittedly, if these CAN work with CCBs, it's something I'll be interested in.

That being said, I'm actually putting on my new wheels on Thursday, so my wheels will be off. And while they're off, I'll get you full measurements of my CCBs if you'd like?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 05:52 AM   #21
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Its a yes and no, depending on the size and offset of the ccb rotor it might be direct fir if the rotor is identical. Good news is that porsche offered carbon ceramic brakes on their panameras so proper pad is available if needed
CCB rotors are both physically larger in diameter and have a longer radial depth (CCB requires more surface area than iron brakes to dissipate heat). You’re already having trouble covering the swept area/radial depth on the iron rotor.. Rotor thickness and offset are different for CCB vs iron. Furthermore, CCB rotors require a special pad compound so you’d be limited to one pad profile, the G8x CCB rear pad or, if the F8x rear pad has the same radial depth as the G8x, you could use the F8x rear pad and its 4P caliper. Nonetheless, your G8x iron kit is NOT an option for the G8x with CCB rotors.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:13 AM   #22
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you M3sqd for your support in this project, pad was about 1-2mm past the rotor, and was about 5mm away from the inner edge , we will adjust by bringing caliper in by 3.5mm to have it in a sweet spot and avoid the rust ring. Of you look at the f85 stock front, or f80 oem front set up you will see that pad is away from the inner edge by at least 5mm.
Current caliper used in the kit is a Porsche Panamera rear caliper, they came in different part numbers due to some being anodized, others black, others came in red or lime green. We use basic silver because they are most readily available off 3.6 panamera. Pad is powerstop z23 carbon ceramic pad , this caliper supports a ton of pad options from different compounds to numerous manufacturers including powerstop, ebcbrakes, hawk and many others. Pad part number is z23-1417. There is 2 radial heights pads available for this caliper but given the disc sizing we only can use bigger pad.
If the pad outer radius is currently 2 mm larger than the iron disc radius and you shift the caliper down 3.5 mm to minimize the pad and rotor inner radius issue, doesn’t that now create a 1.5 mm mismatch of pad and rotor outer radius? This would force you into always having to change rear rotors every time you change pads due to the 1.5 mm lip that’s formed on the OD of the rotor. Capturing the rotor OD should be more important plus you’re losing braking performance, albeit small, by not using the full rotor at its OD vs. its ID. This happens on every brake caliper retrofit kit. I’d prefer to have the pad and rotor OR match, not minimize the pad rotor IR mismatch, even if it creates an ugly rusted ring at the rotor ID. People need to understand this difference when purchasing this kit?
Appreciate 1
Technic2287.50