BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

12-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
AudiConvert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G82 Manual

Touch Up Before Applying PPF

First time posting on Bimmerpost, sorry if this wasn't exactly the right place.
I made the mistake of not having PPF done before ever driving the car so inevitably, there were rock chips. Most of them are basically unnoticeable, there is just one on the hood that's really obvious (the car is black).
I told my PPF installer to please touch it up because having that chip on there really drove me crazy. They said it would be no problem, yet when I got my car back they didn't do anything since "doing touch up under PPF would look worse."
I let them know that was not ok and they should ask for my opinion before making a decision so after some back and forth they agreed to "do me a favor" by redoing the PPF and touch up that chip while charging me "the material."
Got the car back again this week, and of course they didn't even try to do it properly. They just put a small blob of paint there and gave me the "I told you." I'm not an expert in detailing but even just a quick Youtube search shows that that's not how you do a proper touch up, especially knowing that you have to apply PPF later so you want the surface to be as smooth as possible.
I'm really baffled as to why they just don't want to do it properly. They have incredible reviews on Google and do seem to be nice enough people...
So my question now comes to finding a good shop that's willing to do a simple touch up properly... I welcome any recommendations near Albany, NY area, thanks in advance.
Sorry for the long post and (too) many uses of quotation marks, truly appreciate any input.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 04:46 PM   #2
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
This is really the only complaint I have about my PPF job. I thought the same thing. I left my 3 little front bumper nicks to the detailer to repair. most good detailers, fill, wetsand and polish.

I was hoping for something the same. I got nothing like it. Black would be easy to fill. My car is Dravit Gray, and has to many different shades, pearls, and metallics in it, it's not easy to do. I brought my car to a friend that owns a high end body shop, and he said, to do him one favor, and not ever bring my car to him to fix paint.

This is what I ended up with. It looks like the wrong color paint under the garage lighting, but it looks almost like 3 black dots in the sun. Thats because of the way the repair was completed. The pigment in the paint, reflects and causes it to look like its a different color.

It looks like shit, but I try not to look at it. Painter can't fix it without repainting the front bumper and the hood, and the detailer can't fix it, because it can't easily be repaired. I live with it. This is an extreme closeup. This is about how close you have to get, to even see it, anyway.

Pic 2 is the damage, pic 3 is the repair with PPF over it. Not good.
Attached Images

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 12-21-2022 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 06:52 PM   #3
AudiConvert
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
This is really the only complaint I have about my PPF job. I thought the same thing. I left my 3 little front bumper nicks to the detailer to repair. most good detailers, fill, wetsand and polish.

I was hoping for something the same. I got nothing like it. Black would be easy to fill. My car is Dravit Gray, and has to many different shades, pearls, and metallics in it, it's not easy to do. I brought my car to a friend that owns a high end body shop, and he said, to do him one favor, and not ever bring my car to him to fix paint.

This is what I ended up with. It looks like the wrong color paint under the garage lighting, but it looks almost like 3 black dots in the sun. Thats because of the way the repair was completed. The pigment in the paint, reflects and causes it to look like its a different color.

It looks like shit, but I try not to look at it. Painter can't fix it without repainting the front bumper and the hood, and the detailer can't fix it, because it can't easily be repaired. I live with it. This is an extreme closeup. This is about how close you have to get, to even see it, anyway.

Pic 2 is the damage, pic 3 is the repair with PPF over it. Not good.
That really sucks man, dravit gray is a beautiful color.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      12-21-2022, 07:02 PM   #4
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiConvert View Post
That really sucks man, dravit gray is a beautiful color.
It’s just impossible to fix and blend, apparently. Black, you can fill in with a sharpie and still not be able to pick out where it was repaired.
This hood gash, down to the metal, I filled and polished. You can see the progression in the pics. This was done with a toothpick, dealer touch up paint, 1300 grit and 3500 grit then polished with a foam pad. After it was done, you needed direct sunlight, right in the mark or a high powered paint correction light.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-23-2022, 12:52 AM   #5
AudiConvert
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
It’s just impossible to fix and blend, apparently. Black, you can fill in with a sharpie and still not be able to pick out where it was repaired.
This hood gash, down to the metal, I filled and polished. You can see the progression in the pics. This was done with a toothpick, dealer touch up paint, 1300 grit and 3500 grit then polished with a foam pad. After it was done, you needed direct sunlight, right in the mark or a high powered paint correction light.
I personally think you did an amazing job, no one should be able to tell they are there under normal lighting. I would be more than satisfied if mine looked nearly as good
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      12-23-2022, 12:58 AM   #6
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiConvert View Post
I personally think you did an amazing job, no one should be able to tell they are there under normal lighting. I would be more than satisfied if mine looked nearly as good
Thank you. It came out pretty good, indeed. Easily good enough for ppf over it, anyway.

Appreciate 0