BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

07-08-2022, 07:01 PM   #1
BGM80
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp

DIY Ceramic Coat for first timer...

I've had my M3 comp for about four months now. Paint is in good condition from what I can tell, but no protection (it's a lease, may buy it out). I generally like washing/detailing the car, so was thinking about doing a ceramic coat myself.

Was going to do my usual wash, then iron remover + clay bar, then give it a 1-coat ceramic coat (thinking AvalonKing Armor Shield). One concern is - I'd have to do it in my car port, so not fully enclosed garage. Hopefully find a day with no wind to reduce any potential dust during the coating process.

Anyone else there done this themselves and how was the process?

Are high spots pretty easy to avoid as long as you polish/level off with the flashing?

Thanks fam.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 08:55 PM   #2
moonluv810
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3, 2018 BMW M3, 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM80 View Post
I've had my M3 comp for about four months now. Paint is in good condition from what I can tell, but no protection (it's a lease, may buy it out). I generally like washing/detailing the car, so was thinking about doing a ceramic coat myself.

Was going to do my usual wash, then iron remover + clay bar, then give it a 1-coat ceramic coat (thinking AvalonKing Armor Shield). One concern is - I'd have to do it in my car port, so not fully enclosed garage. Hopefully find a day with no wind to reduce any potential dust during the coating process.

Anyone else there done this themselves and how was the process?

Are high spots pretty easy to avoid as long as you polish/level off with the flashing?

Thanks fam.
I'm a DIY-er and have done 4 cars using CarPro CQuartz UK. It's not that difficult, just read and follow the instructions. Watch a few YouTube videos and you'll be just fine.

As you've probably heard already, the coating application is not the most critical/challenging part of the process. The prep is.
Don't assume you need to clay. If you can remove contamination with iron remover, you should skip claying.
I highly recommend doing at least 1 stage polish before applying the ceramic coating. If you do clay, then polishing is a must.

Just take your time, dedicate a whole weekend and enjoy the process, you'll be fine!
Appreciate 1
FISH225404.50
      07-08-2022, 09:49 PM   #3
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I did a matte-specific ceramic coat on my frozen white G80 last year. I was extremely nervous going into it, mainly because it was a $500 1oz bottle.

But like posted above, watch some videos and read about it. There are a few hard resin ceramics tailored for the new DIY'er (ie; longer curing times, more forgiving, etc.).

I spent a whole day on mine, and that was with no paint prep as you do not polish frozen. Nice and slow.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 08:11 PM   #4
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

I've coated ~6 of our vehicles over the years; like moonluv86 says, the secret (time, effort, reward) is in the prep work. Besides the aforementioned steps, use a product like CarPro Eraser to remove all residual waxes and oils just before applying the ceramic coating. A good LED light to inspect your coated panel will further help avoid high spots, before moving on to the next panel.

I also apply a 'sacrificial' layer over the ceramic coats (CQuartz Lite or a paint sealant) just for added measure of protection. That way, if I have to buff light surface scratches weeks/months later, I'm not penetrating into the ceramic coats 'before their time'.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 06:58 AM   #5
PHXATC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 '20 430i '20 Explorer

Like others have said, it is really simple. Follow the directions, watch some videos and dive in. Polishing and correcting the paint is key, take your time, and do it inside (thank me later) if at all possible.

CSL and EXO from CQuartz are almost foolproof. I've done 5 cars in the last 7 months and haven't screwed it up yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 07:24 AM   #6
RothwellSF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 FDG XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post
I did a matte-specific ceramic coat on my frozen white G80 last year. I was extremely nervous going into it, mainly because it was a $500 1oz bottle.

But like posted above, watch some videos and read about it. There are a few hard resin ceramics tailored for the new DIY'er (ie; longer curing times, more forgiving, etc.).

I spent a whole day on mine, and that was with no paint prep as you do not polish frozen. Nice and slow.
what did you use?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 01:45 PM   #7
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RothwellSF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post

what did you use?
Dr Beasley's matte coating pro. Probably one of the more expensive coatings on the market, but definitely the best for matte paints.

https://www.drbeasleys.com/matte-pai...g-pro-kit.html
Appreciate 1