Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

08-22-2022, 01:11 AM   #45
jas165
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurosagi1 View Post
You know where / which website I can order the same spray online?
I live in Switzerland and ordered from a local site (https://www.fahrzeugbedarfshop.ch/ap...08AE26913C1438) and have no clue if they deliver internationally.

But applying the spray yourself is not that easy because you have to remove the brakes.
Appreciate 1
kurosagi1123.00
      08-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #46
discountbarber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

Hey guys. My M4 is about a month and a half old -- the car is actually sitting at the dealership right now for the break in service.

I have been getting some pretty insane brake whine, like nothing I've ever heard on any vehicle. It's so bad that I wouldn't call it a squeak. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does occur, the situation is always the same. I am decelerating (like rolling up to a light or stop sign) and feathering my brakes. Generally around 20-30 miles an hour.

Here is an audio recording I captured from inside of my car when it happens: https://soundcloud.com/discountbarb/...social_sharing

I have a hard time believing that this shit is normal. I just got a video from my technician who said he couldn't recrate the sound, but it literally happened on my way to the dealership. The guy tells me it's probably caused by brake dust.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 04:20 PM   #47
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas165 View Post
I paid the dealership a visit on Saturday and mentioned the brake squeaking. They said it's not uncommon and hard to prevent.

But they did apply this spray to the brakes and the sqeaking has since completely disappeared, though it will probably come back at some point.

I've ordered the spray so I can do it myself.
Already been through this months ago….helps for a while (same as going on some hard braking) but not worth the whole process of removing the calipers and doing the whole cleaning…
Appreciate 1
jas1651448.00
      08-22-2022, 04:25 PM   #48
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by discountbarber View Post
Hey guys. My M4 is about a month and a half old -- the car is actually sitting at the dealership right now for the break in service.

I have been getting some pretty insane brake whine, like nothing I've ever heard on any vehicle. It's so bad that I wouldn't call it a squeak. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does occur, the situation is always the same. I am decelerating (like rolling up to a light or stop sign) and feathering my brakes. Generally around 20-30 miles an hour.

Here is an audio recording I captured from inside of my car when it happens: https://soundcloud.com/discountbarb/...social_sharing

I have a hard time believing that this shit is normal. I just got a video from my technician who said he couldn't recrate the sound, but it literally happened on my way to the dealership. The guy tells me it's probably caused by brake dust.

What do you guys think?
Unfortunately that's all your dealer will do. I was talking to my dealer months ago and they played me some example recordings from BMW database of what they consider "normal" breaking noise…

I first thought it's a joke but they played me around 5 or 6 different recordings and there were the weirdest sounds I ever heard of a car breaking…

So in general, as long as there are no vibrations in the car and / or loss of breaking performance, the only thing they gonna do is tell you that this is normal.

All Ms I had did some breaking noise, but it was never so bad like this generation. So until there are so many complains and they maybe redesign the pads or similar, it is what it is unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 09:58 PM   #49
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

2021 G80 with M compound brakes here.

So I recently had this squeaking before and this usually comes right after the winter season. Here in Central Valley, temperatures averaged 35-45F. With summer tires, much of my driving was light braking load, since the weather didn’t really allow for my typical aggressive driving.

Since it’s finally starting to get warmer around here, I did a few hard “brake bedding” runs. So each run was stopping hard and firm from 80mph to 20mph, followed by a 4-5 minute cool down drive (wide open road with no stopping is ideal).

Repeated this process about 7-8 times and now all the light load squeaking is gone.

Long story short, with the stock brake pads and rotors (at least for the M compound variant), you must drive it hard and aggressive from time to time. If a wide open road isn’t available, a “spirited” drive through the canyons or back roads should work just as well. Hope this input helps
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2023, 03:24 AM   #50
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

Agree. Secret is a) use something like iron-x to break down rust every wash and use a power hose to get into holes and behind brake b) as American’s say drive it like you stole it - hard braking
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 04:58 AM   #51
BeamerBoomer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C xDrive

Do you guys operate the brakes in comfort or sport mode? I do not really have any noise problems after 10 k miles now with my standard brakes. Here and there a very gentle squeak, hard to even realize. But I only use brake comfort mode. Maybe this is a try worth for some.
      04-11-2023, 02:39 AM   #52
FSECorey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw M4, BMW X7m50, MC senna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMnut View Post
Yeah, definitely a MUST to check out. Demand dealer to replace a new one for you or you will be in serious problem. Or just replace another car !!!

is this a joke or are you serious
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 04:05 AM   #53
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
12,000+ here, and breaks still squeak. However, they squeaked more in the first 8000 miles. The other day I got the dreaded groaning train sound reverberating throughout the car. Busy intersection also, and everyone was looking to see where the train was. I notice the easier I drive it, the quicker the sounds come back after cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 08:27 PM   #54
arsenal55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 X Comp

Same sentiments here. On a daily commute, start the car up, the first few brake taps are fine, then the squealing starts. Only time it goes away is if I power wash the calipers or I go hard on the brakes for a bit. Problem is I've got a 6 month old and the last thing I need is to pull 2Gs braking hard on an open road with baby in the back!
Appreciate 1
Chad11491214.00
      04-12-2023, 08:49 AM   #55
Chad11491
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 IOMG M3 6MT

I always power wash the brakes and even clean the wheels with brake buster. With more mileage I swear it's getting worse, to the point where the squealing comes back on the first drive, whereas before I could make it almost a week with normal driving. I can't slam on the brakes in most of my drives, and I'm tired of being embarrassed coming home and people staring with a "wtf" look on their face in the neighborhood as my freight train comes to a stop at every stop sign. I've had much stronger brakes on other cars that did not make ANY noise. I'm really considering swapping in some ferodo ds2500's, because I've had those before, and while the brake dust sucks, they're dead silent and felt better than these stock pads do. I'm looking into other options like the isweep is2000, too. I've heard on previous car forums that the EBC pads eat into the rotor more than others, but I could be wrong. That's what's putting me off of those, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 02:11 PM   #56
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

The majority of brake squeal issues are caused by the brakes not being bed-in properly. Once you establish a proper pad transfer layer on the disc face, they quiet down considerably.

Here are a couple videos we produced on the topic years ago (hence the low res video):

Appreciate 1
      05-12-2023, 08:46 AM   #57
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
The squeaking has gotten to me.... didn't mind it at first, but its just so obnoxious and loud I have to change up the pads. It goes away after a clean but will eventually come back, especially when things warm up.

I have used EBC before on my other vehicles an absolutely loved them... is Yellow stuff still the best right now for performance and quieting down?

Goal: Similar to better performance than OEM but with no noise, lower dust would be a nice benefit

2023 BG G80 ///M3 COMP XDRIVE
Dinan CF Intake | Valvetronic SS Full Exhaust | AST Adjustable Springs | UNIT 17 Front Splitter | UNIT 17 Sideskirts | BC Forged HSC21 Wheels 20x10 et12 / 20x11 et12
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 05:45 PM   #58
anakratis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X3M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
The majority of brake squeal issues are caused by the brakes not being bed-in properly. Once you establish a proper pad transfer layer on the disc face, they quiet down considerably.

Here are a couple videos we produced on the topic years ago (hence the low res video):

Been through this exact process multiple times, the squealing comes back after about a day or two.

2024 F97 ///X3M COMP [AW/SO]
Active Autowerke EL Mid Pipe + Axle-back | H&R Sport Springs
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 10:25 PM   #59
workalotdave
Time to work less i guess...
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by to///m View Post
The squeaking has gotten to me.... didn't mind it at first, but its just so obnoxious and loud I have to change up the pads. It goes away after a clean but will eventually come back, especially when things warm up.

I have used EBC before on my other vehicles an absolutely loved them... is Yellow stuff still the best right now for performance and quieting down?

Goal: Similar to better performance than OEM but with no noise, lower dust would be a nice benefit
I went with the ISWEEP 2000's. Dust is much less and no sqeek 500 miles in. Also better grab.
Appreciate 1
to///m264.00
      05-13-2023, 02:54 AM   #60
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoomer View Post
Do you guys operate the brakes in comfort or sport mode? I do not really have any noise problems after 10 k miles now with my standard brakes. Here and there a very gentle squeak, hard to even realize. But I only use brake comfort mode. Maybe this is a try worth for some.
That only changes brake feel not force ie changes the brake pedal force to pad force curve. Equates to harder braking with less pressure.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 02:56 AM   #61
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post

https://youtu.be/pdPX6rzuINc

https://youtu.be/ONpSpWcy0V0
This is what I did during breakin period. No problems so far when combined with regular washing.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 11:01 PM   #62
M4CXG82
M4CXG82
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by workalotdave View Post
I went with the ISWEEP 2000's. Dust is much less and no sqeek 500 miles in. Also better grab.
Still no squeak? you said no squeak for the first 500 miles, how many miles has it been now?
      03-07-2024, 11:10 PM   #63
M4CXG82
M4CXG82
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrem3 View Post
After 2K or so miles, the squeaks started to appear, and only got worse. Then at about 8K miles I got the EBC Yellow, and the squeak went away for about 2-3K miles and then returned again, getting progressively worse. I'm not at 15K miles and the squeak is right back where it was at it's peak. Totally frustrating and BMW has not solution...
Is this for real? The squeaking came back after 2-3k miles even with the EBC yellows??

Then what's the point, why is everyone saying these yellow pads take the squeak away. 2-3k miles is only like 2-3 months, that's nothing.

Is this happening to everyone with EBC yellow pads? How about the Isweep1500 do they last longer than 2-3k miles?

I just got my M4 comp x and I was not aware of this brake issue. I had no issues with my last M4. How BMW allowed this to happen is mind boggling to me.
      03-07-2024, 11:38 PM   #64
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4CXG82 View Post
Is this for real? The squeaking came back after 2-3k miles even with the EBC yellows??

Then what's the point, why is everyone saying these yellow pads take the squeak away. 2-3k miles is only like 2-3 months, that's nothing.

Is this happening to everyone with EBC yellow pads? How about the Isweep1500 do they last longer than 2-3k miles?

I just got my M4 comp x and I was not aware of this brake issue. I had no issues with my last M4. How BMW allowed this to happen is mind boggling to me.
The last post before your 2, were from May of 2023, so, they may or may not reply.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 06:56 PM   #65
Akrem3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ISLE OF MAN GREEN

Isweep 1500 is the ultimate solution. No squeals after 10k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:21 PM   #66
Hybridizer
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Competition X-Drive

Garage List
Installed EBC red's and from a daily driver perspective it doesn't get any better. Night and day difference. I know the reds for the front are hard to come by.

The other bummer is I'll have to swap out for track days. But it's well worth it over the OEM noise and dust.
Appreciate 1
Jax327436.00