BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

04-14-2022, 08:28 AM   #1
apace76
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 comp xdrive

window streaking from lubricant on inside of door?

I have a 2022 M4 xdrive, anyone have issue with the windows streaking every time you roll them down? it's like there is a lubricant or something on the inside, really annoying. I also noticed that after I wash the car, when I roll the windows down (days later) the windows still get wet from the moisture that's inside the door.

thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 10:37 AM   #2
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by apace76 View Post
I have a 2022 M4 xdrive, anyone have issue with the windows streaking every time you roll them down? it's like there is a lubricant or something on the inside, really annoying. I also noticed that after I wash the car, when I roll the windows down (days later) the windows still get wet from the moisture that's inside the door.

thoughts?
You can avoid it by avoiding automated car washes that spray water at a high pressure at the bottom window seal.

Water and soap basically penetrates the seal and gets inside. This may include some dirt too, so you have a water, soap, dirt mix in there that feels like ‘lubricant’ to you. And if you lower your window soon after a wash, or sometimes even a long time later, it leaves vertical streaks on the inside and the outside.

You can clean this by holding a microfiber cloth against the window and lowering and raising the window until it stops appearing. It may help to clean the seals with the window fully down first tooz

This is not a G82 special, all BMWs with frameless windows exhibit this if you have high pressure water/soap push in at an angle. You will not see this if you do a gentle spray around the seals when you hand wash yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 06:43 PM   #3
kDot17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apace76 View Post

thoughts?
You can avoid it by avoiding automated car washes that spray water at a high pressure at the bottom window seal.

Water and soap basically penetrates the seal and gets inside. This may include some dirt too, so you have a water, soap, dirt mix in there that feels like ‘lubricant’ to you. And if you lower your window soon after a wash, or sometimes even a long time later, it leaves vertical streaks on the inside and the outside.

You can clean this by holding a microfiber cloth against the window and lowering and raising the window until it stops appearing. It may help to clean the seals with the window fully down first tooz

This is not a G82 special, all BMWs with frameless windows exhibit this if you have high pressure water/soap push in at an angle. You will not see this if you do a gentle spray around the seals when you hand wash yourself.
If this is the case, should I avoid hitting the windows with my pressure washer and foam cannon? My other cars have always gotten the windows wet if I rolled them down within the first couple days after washing, but I thought it was just the design of the mechanism or door that allowed water to get in.
Appreciate 0