BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #89
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Hahaha I think your last sentence sums up what really happened here. Looking back I see the tone a bit more which I didn't notice at first. I'm not unhappy with the outcome as at least some of this thread was worthy discussion, but I promise I didn't mean to just flat out troll everyone. . .

I do in my own way just see a dark motive, just like when everyone tells us 9/10 cars sold are automatics. . . This makes sense when 99/100 cars aren't even offered in manual in the first place, and the 1 that is has other intrinsic benefits built in if you don't order the manual version.

Market research is one thing, and skewing it to your own production goals is something else entirely. We're 100% in the grey area as manual enthusiasts because there is definitely an agenda towards streamlining. Of course it costs car manufacturers less to have one transmission offered - it also costs less not to offer 500 overlapping 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 series cars and small SUVs that pinch of each others own markets.

Options are good for the consumer, but sometimes too many just waters everything down. I think there are a whole lot of other options with lower take rates than the MT which are still offered, so let's start by applying cost savings through their removal.
Not one true manual driver will choose the competition pack over the base model. All options are available on both.

Here's where I disagree. They aren't trying to corral us into buying an AT so they have a justification to kill the 6MT. The 6MT is dying because the internal combustion engine is dying (and transmissions of all kinds with it). It doesn't matter.

I have a 2 year old son. I don't think he will ever even learn to drive. Billions of dollars is being spent on quantum computing and topography programming to get us to driverless cars.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
seis-speed2426.00
      10-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #90
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
I don't think 6MT sales will be affected all that much. 6MTs have been slower than DCTs and automatics for a long time now (basically since the E9x Ms). To have yet another generation where the 6MT is slower than the automatic M is not a huge deterrent to those who prefer a 6MT. Besides, the last gen was already plenty fast and the G8x is even faster - even the reduced power 6MT version will feel extremely fast.

To complicate matters, the fact that BMW got rid of the DCT may actually cause some enthusiasts to go back to the 6MT even with the reduced power. Personally, I'm a 6MT guy all the way. However, I had decided that I would just keep my F80 6MT to have the fun of shifting manually and get a G82 M4 in DCT as my next car... until I heard they were going to be slushbox automatics. I despise torque converter automatics so now I'm rethinking this and may go with a G80 6MT M3.

I don't really care much that the 6MT will have less power. It is just a tune away from having more power than the comp pack cars. I know people are saying the new Bosch ECUs are uncrackable. I'm sure it will be cracked in the next 2-3 yrs when I'm ready for my G80 M3. In the meantime, I just got my crankhub fixed on my F80 M3 and waiting for a set of rims to arrive. Going to enjoy my F80 for a few more years!
I'm one of these. This will be my first *brand new* M3 purchase and I'm jumping for a manual since no DCT is available. When driving, the 8AT won't cut it for me in the emotion department. I've used it before and struggle to see what tuning can be done to make it feel the way I want.

This set up may actually increase the relative 6MT take rate unless the car is hamstrung in some other way.
I agree.

I think there will be a larger number of 6mt buyers for the M3 bc BMW has effectively cornered the market for manuals.

I'm also not a hardcore BMW fan boy (not meant in a negative way), so my opinion may not reflect the typical Bimmerpost member.

I say this bc the only reason I got an m2 comp is bc it's the only car offered with a stick, with driving dynamics I enjoy and daily usability I want.

If I was only looking at automatics/dct/no 3rd pedal, I'd never buy a BMW. I'm happy knowing that I'll have the option to buy an M3 w/ a manual for a few more years and I really don't care if it has every single option available. In fact, I'm hoping they make a manual wagon. I could care less if it has carbon seats, or AWD, or ambient lighting. If I have to say "hey BMW" or wave my hands around to an AI interface to work the radio and AC, I'd kick my own ass.

Again, I know I'm in the minority but the fact that I can get a manual has compelled me to finally buy a BMW. The more analog the car, the better.

But I understand the OP's POV. For die hard bmw fans I can see how they'd want the top trim level with access to all the features on a DCT car but also have the option of a stick, and since they're not getting said option, they may feel there's a nefarious plan to get rid of all manuals. I actually think it's a smart decision by BMW to increase manual tranny market share and sell more cars.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
bmwdrive461.00
      11-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #91
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

My current opinion is that the pricing and options for the M3/M4 cars will kill the MT. There are certainly a few that will choose whatever configuration offers a manual. but WE are in the minority. I think many previous manual buyers will go over to the dark side to get more power and different options for about the same price. The difference is $2900 and the base model charges $1300 for wheels that many will want and are included on the competition model. My plan was to order a base model at the end of next year, but I'm afraid that the take rate on the base model will be low enough that the option will be killed in U.S. on the 2022 cars. I hope there is some time between when the 2022 ordering guides are leaked and when they stop taking orders on the 2021 cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #92
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
My current opinion is that the pricing and options for the M3/M4 cars will kill the MT. There are certainly a few that will choose whatever configuration offers a manual. but WE are in the minority. I think many previous manual buyers will go over to the dark side to get more power and different options for about the same price. The difference is $2900 and the base model charges $1300 for wheels that many will want and are included on the competition model. My plan was to order a base model at the end of next year, but I'm afraid that the take rate on the base model will be low enough that the option will be killed in U.S. on the 2022 cars. I hope there is some time between when the 2022 ordering guides are leaked and when they stop taking orders on the 2021 cars.
Highly doubt real manual owners are going anywhere other than manual. Manual owners are also the kind of enthusiasts that tune, and 30 HP is not much in the scheme of things (although the torque drop off is substantial).

They are not killing off the base model, not at least during the life cycle of this model. The UK (Right hand drive cars for the ROW in the F80 production numbers) had a f**king 2% take rate on the F80 in 6MT. Literally, 2% and you could get one on the F80 all the way until the end. Now they didn't get the manual for the G8x but then again, they didn't earn one with those numbers.

There was a pretty solid 28.5% take rate on the F80 (and presumably something similar if not slightly more on the F82 but we don't have numbers, at least not yet).

I personally feel a lot of people had buyer's remorse with the DCT on the last gen. I know 2 individuals going back to 6MT after having 1 or more DCT F8x's.

Also, there are 2x as many deposits on the G80 in 6MT at my dealer compared to the G80 comp. (8 to 4 respectively).

You will be able to order it in 2022 and beyond. This is my least favorite thread in bimmerpost history (2nd least favorite is Yas Marina Blue Regrets lol). BMW is saving the 6MT and people are accusing the one car company who's listening to us 6MT enthusiasts of deliberately killing off that which they continue to sell.
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11421.00
seis-speed2426.00
Scorp!on1510.00
matmanx1101.50
      11-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #93
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
In addition, the only option you can get on a comp but not on a base is a black M3 badge. Everything else can be specc'd accordingly.

If they had, for example, the base model in 6MT with a lesser suspension, less cool seats, no seat belt stitching (i.e., the F80 comp versus the base) THEN some of these arguments would hold some water.

However, you can get the same exact options in the transmission of your choice if you're willing to sacrifice some power and torque. Us manual drivers are slow as sh*t anyways. It's not a real issue to me. 480 hp, even with the weight increase, will be fine for the first 1,200 miles until i tune.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      11-18-2020, 04:35 PM   #94
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
This is my least favorite thread in bimmerpost history (2nd least favorite is Yas Marina Blue Regrets lol). BMW is saving the 6MT and people are accusing the one car company who's listening to us 6MT enthusiasts of deliberately killing off that which they continue to sell.
Agreed, it makes me wonder what some people are on.

BMW is still making a manual M3/4 with the G8X generation... but people are complaining?

Nuts
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      11-18-2020, 07:58 PM   #95
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

I'm not complaining. 480 HP is more than I need. My F30 B58 has plenty of power also. I think I am in the minority and that the take rate will be low. I think the low take rate will kill it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #96
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
I'm not complaining. 480 HP is more than I need. My F30 B58 has plenty of power also. I think I am in the minority and that the take rate will be low. I think the low take rate will kill it.
Just as the low take rate of European Delivery killed it. BMW hampered ED and customers stopped doing it.

BMW is now hampering the manual in this generation by putting it in the "lesser" model. Just because a few diehards are "lining up" for the initial vehicle drop doesn't mean the take rates will be high throughout the lifecycle. It won't.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 09:47 PM   #97
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
BMW: no manual for upcoming M3.
Enthusiasts: Are you kidding me?! This is the death of the M3!
BMW: Ok ok ok. Next M3 will come with manual transmission.
Enthusiast: No AWD and Manual? Are you kidding me?! This is the death of the Manual M3!

What gives? :

The manual transmission has never been about having the fastest car out there. It's about the driving experience. That is something that 30hp will not give you. Hardcore 6MT enthusiasts will not care about a slightly slower car if in return they get the thrill of pressing that clutch.

I'm prepared to order a 6MT Core M3. The hp/tq difference is nothing a mild tune can't fix.
I agree with almost all of what you're saying, but I chuckle at the comment that the manual has never been about having the fastest car. I guess you must be pretty young as even back maybe 20 yrs ago, the manual versions of most cars were almost always the quickest and fastest variants, and typically by a wide margin. Look up any old R&T or C&D car test and if they have an auto vs. manual variant, you will see that the manuals are typcially about 1 second quicker in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile acceleration times than the automatics.

Even Porsche GT cars were exclusively manual until the 991 GT3. Not only that, but the McLaren F1 was the quickest accelerating and fastest top speed car for about 15 yrs and it had a 6 speed manual.

Of course, manuals were not always just about speed, but about the joy and experience of feeling directly connected to the transmission and what's going on with the car. Even though the G80 M3 6MT is underpowered and undoubtedly slower than the auto, I will 100% be getting the manual. In the past 20 yrs or so, I've made the mistake of buying 2 automatic cars. Both cars, literally as soon as I brought them home, I would immediately begin thinking about how to get rid of it and get back into a manual.

I'll keep buying manuals as long as they make them and when they finally stop, instead of buying an automatic, I'm going to go right to the electric powered self driving egg with no steering wheel and no transmission controls.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50
      11-19-2020, 02:23 AM   #98
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

The GXX series is now off the radar for me due to no manual in the U.K.

Mid and long term plans are GR Yaris daily (ordered and Feb 2021) and C2S manual lifetime garage keeper. Aero kit, exhaust, sunroof.

Hardly apples to apples of course but it's just a shame to not even have the option. About 15 BMWs in it's probably time for a little change too.

Great cars, but the U.K. forces Comp pack and no manual isn't great.
      11-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #99
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Just as the low take rate of European Delivery killed it. BMW hampered ED and customers stopped doing it.

BMW is now hampering the manual in this generation by putting it in the "lesser" model. Just because a few diehards are "lining up" for the initial vehicle drop doesn't mean the take rates will be high throughout the lifecycle. It won't.
It's not a lesser model, it's a less powerful model. The suspension is the same, the exhaust is the same, etc. etc. etc. etc.

I'm willing to bet that since this is almost certainly the last gen with a manual (and maybe even the last gen thats an ICE or a non-hybrid variant) that the US take rate will increase. I am willing to be you $1 and since we both live on Long Island, you don't have to worry about collecting.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #100
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:

It's not a lesser model, it's a less powerful model. The suspension is the same, the exhaust is the same, etc. etc. etc. etc.

I'm willing to bet that since this is almost certainly the last gen with a manual (and maybe even the last gen thats an ICE or a non-hybrid variant) that the US take rate will increase. I am willing to be you $1 and since we both live on Long Island, you don't have to worry about collecting.
I'll take that bet. Haha

It is the lesser model. It's cheaper with less horsepower. In the car world that's the lesser model.

The styling alone will kill/hamper this models sales numbers. No way the take rate will increase. The diehards aren't even going to be getting this car. It's pretty much you, sedan clan and solstice. Lol

The target audience for this car (Kith 20 somethings) can't even drive a manual.

Let's agree to disagree and we will revisit this in a few years.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #101
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll take that bet. Haha

It is the lesser model. It's cheaper with less horsepower. In the car world that's the lesser model.

The styling alone will kill/hamper this models sales numbers. No way the take rate will increase. The diehards aren't even going to be getting this car. It's pretty much you, sedan clan and solstice. Lol

The target audience for this car (Kith 20 somethings) can't even drive a manual.

Let's agree to disagree and we will revisit this in a few years.
Don't forget seis-speed although I don't think he is happy with the grilles lol.
Appreciate 2
      11-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #102
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
My first F80 (not the piece of sh*t CS with a DCT I have now) was by far the most fun and practical 6MT I've ever owned in 20 years of driving 6MT.
Very harsh! M-DCT really shines on track and is perfect for the track optimized CS.
      11-20-2020, 12:25 AM   #103
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Don't forget seis-speed although I don't think he is happy with the grilles lol.
Ha! I love that BMW kept the manual (most important feature to me), but I wish the grilles were not so tall, I do not like the overall height and the body color between them, I prefer a more classic look.

It is not necessarily a deal killer, but I will consider the CT5-V /CT4-V Blackwings that are coming with 6MT. I am going to buy a manual sedan just not sure which one.

Last edited by seis-speed; 11-20-2020 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 01:22 AM   #104
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

When this thread get new posts the forum is famished by lack of new information. Please BMW throw us a bone, ring time or 1/4 mile should keep us busy with something interesting for a while
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50
      11-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #105
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABenChod View Post
Very harsh! M-DCT really shines on track and is perfect for the track optimized CS.
It's not a critique of the DCT...it just bores me to have less than 3 pedals.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #106
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
When this thread get new posts the forum is famished by lack of new information. Please BMW throw us a bone, ring time or 1/4 mile should keep us busy with something interesting for a while
The OP was pissed off at the time of press release late september, wrote this an angry thread about how keeping a manual transmission is how BMW is killing the manual transmission, and now it's just us "regulars" sitting at the bar arguing over grilles.
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      11-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #107
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

Mid and long term plans are GR Yaris daily (ordered and Feb 2021) and C2S manual lifetime garage keeper. Aero kit, exhaust, sunroof.

Hardly apples to apples of course but it's just a shame to not even have the option. About 15 BMWs in it's probably time for a little change too.

I'm going for a Yaris GR test drive next week as I think it'll be a great side kick to the M6. I'm really excited but I wish BMW had collaborated with Toyota on it for iDrive just like the Supra I had a rental Corolla last week for a work trip with the same system as the Yaris and it was a laggy pile of crap.
      11-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #108
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

I'm going for a Yaris GR test drive next week as I think it'll be a great side kick to the M6. I'm really excited but I wish BMW had collaborated with Toyota on it for iDrive just like the Supra I had a rental Corolla last week for a work trip with the same system as the Yaris and it was a laggy pile of crap.
I hear you. Apple Car Play all the way
      11-22-2020, 08:46 AM   #109
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
The OP was pissed off at the time of press release late september, wrote this an angry thread about how keeping a manual transmission is how BMW is killing the manual transmission, and now it's just us "regulars" sitting at the bar arguing over grilles.
Hahaha. For the record I'm still getting one of these big ugly added grill manual sedans, I just hope there is a special opportunity for an AWD variant.

Being a one car driver in the northeast, a less powerful, RWD variant genuinely makes my decision more difficult, and I have only driven manual cars except for one DSG audi s4 for the last 18 years.

~~70k AWD 500hp sedan can change priorities. I'm going to have to drive the auto and then make my own whiny thread about how mushy it is and how you have to shift it at 3,000 RPMs or else it lags all the way to redline before I know for sure. Stay tuned.

And for the love of all that is holy we really do need some more new info if we're still talking on this thread 😉
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #110
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

As an owner of an F80 Competition manual, I don't see the point of moving to the G80 manual. It's RWD, heavier and not faster, and then there's that grille. There's no incentive for me to move. Now if they had put the manual into the G80 Competition instead of the lesser base model, that's a different ball game and might entice me to switch (I say "might" because... well... there's that grille).

So, do I believe that the take rate of the manual would be higher if it were offered on the Competition model instead of the lesser base model? Yes, I do, absolutely.
Appreciate 0