BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #23
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
I am a huge fan of the CS seats (competition seats) and would never want to go back to a less supportive seat even for daily driving. The standard seats look less supportive than the base F8x seats to me (although I could be wrong).

My only issues with the carbon seats is that, as I have an early allocation (2nd at my dealership), I will never see them before I have to make a decision. If they are less than comfortable, I'll be stuck with them for 3 years at a minimum.
Maybe just wait until you can sit in them to make a decision? What's the rush to get into one immediately?
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #24
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Maybe just wait until you can sit in them to make a decision? What's the rush to get into one immediately?
My lease is up and I am literally dying to drive a 6MT again. One good reason, one emotional reason.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #25
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
My lease is up and I am literally dying to drive a 6MT again. One good reason, one emotional reason.
Haha 1 out of 2 ain't bad I guess. But how is your lease up on your CS? 2 year lease? And BMW will extend your lease without question, probably even longer if you tell them why.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #26
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Haha 1 out of 2 ain't bad I guess. But how is your lease up on your CS? 2 year lease? And BMW will extend your lease without question, probably even longer if you tell them why.
2 year lease. I didnt want to do 3 year on a DCT and with the G80 was launching so soon. I put 60k miles on my first F80 in 3 years and couldn't buy it out as a result. F80 production ended earlier than anticipated because of a new emissions law (they opted to shut it down early versus complying with the new law) in the EU and every manual in the US was sold when my lease was up.

I am so sick of the car. It is such an amazing car but at this point, it does nothing for me. I drove my friends manual jetta in a parking lot last week and was overjoyed...that's where I'm at lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #27
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
In your case, I'd go for the base seats personally. Since no one has any feedback on how the carbon buckets are in terms of comfort, I wouldn't risk getting it and hating it for 3 years.

If you were buying the car and not leasing, then I'd say maybe consider buckets and trade it with someone + cash later down the road.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      09-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #28
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
2 year lease. I didnt want to do 3 year on a DCT and with the G80 was launching so soon. I put 60k miles on my first F80 in 3 years and couldn't buy it out as a result. F80 production ended earlier than anticipated because of a new emissions law (they opted to shut it down early versus complying with the new law) in the EU and every manual in the US was sold when my lease was up.

I am so sick of the car. It is such an amazing car but at this point, it does nothing for me. I drove my friends manual jetta in a parking lot last week and was overjoyed...that's where I'm at lol.
I like my CS but I would not be able to survive if it were my only car. Fortunately I have a 6MT E92 and a 6MT Mini daily to keep the 6MT fun alive!
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #29
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:

Welcome to the 'manual for life club'

If you are a manual person, then you are a manual person and nothing else will satisfy.

Last edited by seis-speed; 09-29-2020 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 2
Rhanis12.00
      09-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #30
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
So the video reviewers (eg joe Achilles) that sat in the car were generally positive about the buckets... most of the "could be uncomfortable" commentary is coming from armchair reviewers just looking at photos

Maybe you best bet is to try to compare your body type to them (please don't over share on the forum lol) and watch some old videos of their driving position and see if you are compatible

Otherwise.... well... you are rolling the dice that bmw prioritized the seats being as comfortable as they are functional for most body types, I would think that is a safe bet
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #31
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
So the video reviewers (eg joe Achilles) that sat in the car were generally positive about the buckets... most of the "could be uncomfortable" commentary is coming from armchair reviewers just looking at photos

Maybe you best bet is to try to compare your body type to them (please don't over share on the forum lol) and watch some old videos of their driving position and see if you are compatible

Otherwise.... well... you are rolling the dice that bmw prioritized the seats being as comfortable as they are functional for most body types, I would think that is a safe bet
I don't agree with this at all. It's one thing to sit in a car for 5 mins and say "Oh it's prob good for most people" vs having massive back pain after driving on the highway for an hour straight.

This reminds me of when I got to drive my friends 991.1 for the first time. When I got in it, I was really excited as this was the first Porsche I'd really get to drive in the mountains. 30 mins and my lower back was absolutely toast, and I have a pretty high tolerance for painful/uncomfortable car. It was impossible to get comfortable in that car because these were the base seats and did not have lumbar adjustment.

I'd let it slide if this was a classic car or a Lamborghini Aventador type vehicle, but an M3/4 should be able to be driven for 3/4 hours no problem. I'd think BMW would design the carbon buckets to be able to do that, but we just don't have enough info at the moment.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #32
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Welcome to the 'manual for life club'

If you are a manual person, then you are a manual person and nothing else will satisfy.

I have always been a "manual for life club" member! In 21 years of having a license, I have only owned 1 non manual and it's my CS (which I passionately despise).
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      09-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #33
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

If you want to track your car, the CF seats might be a bargain for you. If you never intend to actually track the car, as probably 80-90 buyers will not, they are an expensive but cool option that you may wish you had not opted for.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #34
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
If you want to track your car, the CF seats might be a bargain for you. If you never intend to actually track the car, as probably 80-90 buyers will not, they are an expensive but cool option that you may wish you had not opted for.
Depends on everyone's personal situation. I only drive 10-20 miles a day, on a bad day. So as uncomfortable as they might be (I doubt they will be uncomfortable) it`ll be a must have choice paired with a manual tranny for the ultimate in driving experience.
      09-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #35
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Depends on everyone's personal situation. I only drive 10-20 miles a day, on a bad day. So as uncomfortable as they might be (I doubt they will be uncomfortable) it`ll be a must have choice paired with a manual tranny for the ultimate in driving experience.
There’s a lot to this for sure. A sporty car with soft, unsupportive seats will feel soft while a softish car with supportive less padded seats will feel more dynamic. Nothing ruins a car like soft seats.

However a harder seat with either pressure points or lack of support in some areas will be objects of hate...
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #36
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

watching Joe Achilles' review, he mentions the seat back goes up and down. I wonder if the height of the seat bottom is adjustable, as well as if the angle of the seat bottom is adjustable. Need to get that answer before i go into production in November.

EDIT: It does...look at the controls from the original IGTV video Markus Flausch did [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Last edited by frankiebones; 09-29-2020 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #37
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
I get it. I love a fun spin around and I too doubt they will be uncomfortable. They might however be less than a practical option for a lot of drivers.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #38
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:

I don't agree with this at all. It's one thing to sit in a car for 5 mins and say "Oh it's prob good for most people" vs having massive back pain after driving on the highway for an hour straight.

This reminds me of when I got to drive my friends 991.1 for the first time. When I got in it, I was really excited as this was the first Porsche I'd really get to drive in the mountains. 30 mins and my lower back was absolutely toast, and I have a pretty high tolerance for painful/uncomfortable car. It was impossible to get comfortable in that car because these were the base seats and did not have lumbar adjustment.

I'd let it slide if this was a classic car or a Lamborghini Aventador type vehicle, but an M3/4 should be able to be driven for 3/4 hours no problem. I'd think BMW would design the carbon buckets to be able to do that, but we just don't have enough info at the moment.
Right but following the post I was commenting on if you HAD to make a go/no go decision on carbon buckets before being able to sit in them, what would you do?

That seems like the best use of available information unless you have an alternate suggestion?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #39
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Right but following the post I was commenting on if you HAD to make a go/no go decision on carbon buckets before being able to sit in them, what would you do?

That seems like the best use of available information unless you have an alternate suggestion?
I'd get them. They will always be the more desirable option. Even if they're uncomfortable you will have people lining up to trade + cash
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #40
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

As others have said, for the most part, it will be pretty comfortable. The CF buckets looks pretty padded compared to other CF buckets, like Porsche's. Only issue is no lumbar adjustment. But that is nothing new and if you're comfortable in the previous gen comp seats, you should be good here.

Also, are the "comfort" or "standard" seats basically what they have on the rest of their M products? Looks like it.

I can't imagine how great the buckets will be in the G87 M2C, the true drivers car. Man, that is going to be great!
      09-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #41
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Personally, I'd pass. Too many unknowns, even though I will gladly admit that these are very desirable. I'd rather go conservative if he absolutely has to be at the front of the list to get one, not to mention he said it's a lease car.

I've been pretty happy for the most part with modern BMW M seats, so I'd have really no problem with the base ones.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #42
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I did 6-hour road trips all the time in my F80 with wife and 3 kids. I am planning on buckets, but I have a pretty high tolerance, I am more worried about my wife not liking it. I would love to have her sit in the seat and give me the OK. At worst, I can stop more along the way.

Watching videos, it does seem more tedious to get in and out over the side thigh bolster on the door side. Not as pronounced as Porsche's from what I can tell. Seems to look pretty easy for a bucket.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #43
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
I did 6-hour road trips all the time in my F80 with wife and 3 kids. I am planning on buckets, but I have a pretty high tolerance, I am more worried about my wife not liking it. I would love to have her sit in the seat and give me the OK. At worst, I can stop more along the way.

Watching videos, it does seem more tedious to get in and out over the side thigh bolster on the door side. Not as pronounced as Porsche's from what I can tell. Seems to look pretty easy for a bucket.
You literally need to climb out of the Porsche LWB seats. So annoying, but so awesome at the same time! Drives me nuts when a GT car isn't optioned with them. It's amazing how many GT3s are out there without them.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #44
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Sit in them for an hour and you’ll understand why its not for most. U have to be a true track rat to order them and 99% of GT car owners are not, so why would anyone sacrifice daily comfort for a look, its not like they’re driving as a career....
Appreciate 1
maelfyn153.50