home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-07-2022, 04:25 AM   #23
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

I am planning on just tuning my G80 and adding downpipes/intake. No ethanol. These numbers tell me I will easily be in the mid to low 10s when I am done. That's impressive.
      01-07-2022, 10:22 AM   #24
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
That's completely besides the point. That's like saying "I can run a 3 minute mile" then saying "but only while riding on a bicycle". The latter nullifies the former. Bone stock is bone stock, saying that this G8X is bone stock while saying it also has a tune is an oxymoron.
I agree, the car IS NOT bone stock. The car is not as it left the factory and therefore it is not stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:24 AM   #25
Visconti
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M3 & MSport 335

You saw the thread name, it sparked some interest.

Now you've read the thread and know everything about the car..

Yet you are unhappy.

Sorry - not sorry.
Appreciate 2
GixY2K516.00
Jon H391.50
      01-07-2022, 10:28 AM   #26
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post

Yet you are unhappy.

Sorry - not sorry.
You are a supposed non paying vendor here- I suggest you dont come off so flippant; you surely wont gain any customers thru comments like the ones above.

Further- full disclosure is far more scrutinized when you come into this place trying to sell vs just sharing what you, as an owner, might have done.

We as possible customers deserve respect and you need to earn it.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 4
AhsanU3826.50
ZulaM580.00
weidake472.50
OCVOLM4195.50
      01-07-2022, 10:31 AM   #27
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:

Yet you are unhappy.

Sorry - not sorry.
I, for one, read the title of the thread and saw who it was from (Marshall from Visconti), and my brain automatically assumed "tuned car by Visconti/no hardware added", and was please with the results.

It wasn't until these last comments that I see how it may have been misleading for some folks.

Last edited by GixY2K; 01-10-2022 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #28
Visconti
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
You are a supposed non paying vendor here- I suggest you dont come off so flippant; you surely wont gain any customers thru comments like the ones above.

Further- full disclosure is far more scrutinized when you come into this place trying to sell vs just sharing what you, as an owner, might have done.

It's fine, I don't aim to please everyone.

I'm not some fake sales person that's going to give you some bs you want to hear in hopes of gaining your friendship or money.

I'll always be straight - no filter.

anyways...

Information about this car is literally on the second line of the first post. (reading from a desktop).

John
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #29
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

Quote:

Yet you are unhappy.

Sorry - not sorry.
Yes we saw the thread name which is "xDrive Runs 10.1 with No Modifications!" Then we read further and see "Again, this car is 100% bone stock, no modifications at all aside from our tuning on Ecutek".

Bone stock except for our tuning?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #30
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
They posted a 9.80 @140, on FB, yesterday. This thing is moving.

Appreciate 1
GixY2K516.00
      01-07-2022, 10:53 AM   #31
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:

Yet you are unhappy.

Sorry - not sorry.

I already warned you guys. Not going to bash anyone, but I can feel an " I told you so " coming. Ha ha
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:53 AM   #32
Visconti
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
Yes we saw the thread name which is "xDrive Runs 10.1 with No Modifications!" Then we read further and see "Again, this car is 100% bone stock, no modifications at all aside from our tuning on Ecutek".

Bone stock except for our tuning?
Yeah, STG1 tune.

What we are saying is the car has no hardware changes, only software and different fuel.

Performance gains like this normally would require hardware changes AND tuning. This platform continues to amaze me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
They posted a 9.80 @140, on FB, yesterday. This thing is moving.
It was actually 9.89 @140.83 - that's the car in the 9.96 thread.

That car is also super consistent.

I think there's more in it... just got a bunch of snow so we won't have anymore updates for at least a week
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13411.00
      01-07-2022, 10:57 AM   #33
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, STG1 tune.

What we are saying is the car has no hardware changes, only software and different fuel.

Performance gains like this normally would require hardware changes AND tuning. This platform continues to amaze me.

It was actually 9.89 @140.83 - that's the car in the 9.96 thread.

That car is also super consistent.

I think there's more in it... just got a bunch of snow so we won't have anymore updates for at least a week
I couldn't remember the exact time. I meant to add an "S" at the end, denoting it was "in the 9.8s"

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 11:06 AM   #34
Visconti
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I couldn't remember the exact time. I meant to add an "S" at the end, denoting it was "in the 9.8s"

No problem, the misleading police are all over me today, just wanted to make sure the correct info was being shared!
Appreciate 3
Limegrntaln13411.00
0Camus0153.50
GixY2K516.00
      01-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #35
abdulisraddd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 X Dravit

Why don't you guys ever post the DA?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 02:30 PM   #36
Marshall@ViscontiTuning
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Huracan / 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadHater View Post
I am planning on just tuning my G80 and adding downpipes/intake. No ethanol. These numbers tell me I will easily be in the mid to low 10s when I am done. That's impressive.
This car specifically went 10.4 or 10.5 on 93oct before he added ethanol. I think that had room for improvements also, but he didnt care to stay on 93oct long as he primarily uses ethanol since its readily available to him.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 02:36 PM   #37
Marshall@ViscontiTuning
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Huracan / 2022 M3 xDrive

I understand both perspectives. IMO, this car is stock and many agree. It seems many disagree as well and thats fine. Its just an opinion.

Not too much different than getting into the argument of what a "street car" is. Some will say if it can get tags and insurance, its streetable. Some will say when a car is gutted, doesnt have heat/ac and such, its no longer a street car, etc.

Nothing was bolted on or off the car. IMO, thats stock.

No worries. Check the thread out and just enjoy how underrated these cars are!
Appreciate 2
0Camus0153.50
GixY2K516.00
      01-07-2022, 06:26 PM   #38
N3M3S1S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Turbo S

Listen, I could give a shit about the headline as the results are pretty amazing.
But..while the car is mechanically stock, it is not stock as in un modified by a tune.
With that said, I’ll be calling you guys when mine arrives.
Appreciate 3
      01-08-2022, 03:40 AM   #39
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:

Yet you are unhappy.

Sorry - not sorry.
The thread title sparked interest based on the misuse of the term "no modifications". You modified the a major component that adds power to the car, the ECU, thus, this car is modified. I don't think anyone here is unhappy per sè, but moreso confused as to why you feel the need to use the term despite it simply not being true. We're not arguing semantics here, this car is not bone stock, full stop. You want to generate interest - great! Don't do it by being deliberately obtuse. You've achieved something incredible with just a tune, just leave it at that.

And your "no filter" response is particularly funny given your brand's reputation on other forums and particularly the GTR platform. You do you, honey boo boo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall@ViscontiTuning View Post
I understand both perspectives. IMO, this car is stock and many agree. It seems many disagree as well and thats fine. Its just an opinion.

Not too much different than getting into the argument of what a "street car" is. Some will say if it can get tags and insurance, its streetable. Some will say when a car is gutted, doesnt have heat/ac and such, its no longer a street car, etc.

Nothing was bolted on or off the car. IMO, thats stock.

No worries. Check the thread out and just enjoy how underrated these cars are!
If you bring this car to a BMW service centre with engine related issues (obviously anyone running a tune wouldn't, but for the sake of argument let's say they do) and it turns out it needs a new engine, there's a 0% chance this "bone stock" M3 gets a replacement one for free under warranty. It isn't bone stock. You've modified a vital component of the car, ergo it's modified.

But it is very impressive that this platform can achieve these numbers with a simple tune. I'm sure with some more time and development, xDrive cars will regularly hit mid 9's with simple mods and a tune.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
BulkBen406.50
      01-08-2022, 05:41 AM   #40
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
The thread title sparked interest based on the misuse of the term "no modifications". You modified the a major component that adds power to the car, the ECU, thus, this car is modified. I don't think anyone here is unhappy per sè, but moreso confused as to why you feel the need to use the term despite it simply not being true. We're not arguing semantics here, this car is not bone stock, full stop. You want to generate interest - great! Don't do it by being deliberately obtuse. You've achieved something incredible with just a tune, just leave it at that.

And your "no filter" response is particularly funny given your brand's reputation on other forums and particularly the GTR platform. You do you, honey boo boo.

If you bring this car to a BMW service centre with engine related issues (obviously anyone running a tune wouldn't, but for the sake of argument let's say they do) and it turns out it needs a new engine, there's a 0% chance this "bone stock" M3 gets a replacement one for free under warranty. It isn't bone stock. You've modified a vital component of the car, ergo it's modified.

But it is very impressive that this platform can achieve these numbers with a simple tune. I'm sure with some more time and development, xDrive cars will regularly hit mid 9's with simple mods and a tune.
Great post, couldn't have said it better.

If the OP (who seems to otherwise offer a great product) simply slotted in the word "hardware" between "no" and "modifications" no one would be complaining.

Even (tune only) in brackets would have sufficed.

The fact he's so defiantly defending the error makes me concerned about the service given the service is such an important part of of this product.

If someone's sending my ECU to Russia, I wanna trust the guy
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:03 AM   #41
Visconti
Private
United_States
Rep

It's interesting how some of you are willing to take shots at me because you are so unhappy with the name of this thread - even though the first posts clearly explains everything you need to know.

Maybe you would have skipped the thread had it been named something else?

You guys must get pretty pissed off at the nightly news or internet news articles.

Quote:

The GTR Platform?

That's the platform that never stops giving to me.
I literally can't tune or make parts for that platform fast enough.

I tune on average of 10 of those a week. If you want to put some shade on me, you probably shouldn't do it on one of the most successful platforms I've ever worked on.

If you trash a stock car and bring it into the dealer to get fixed they will also tell you to kick rocks. Just because a car is 100000% untouched doesn't mean they will fix everything for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post
Great post, couldn't have said it better.

If the OP (who seems to otherwise offer a great product) simply slotted in the word "hardware" between "no" and "modifications" no one would be complaining.

Even (tune only) in brackets would have sufficed.

The fact he's so defiantly defending the error makes me concerned about the service given the service is such an important part of of this product.

If someone's sending my ECU to Russia, I wanna trust the guy
Defending the error? It's not a error.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:17 PM   #42
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So, you think (or are sure) BMW will not honor a warranty even if a recall is in effect (i.e. Main Bearing Shell recall), if the car only has a stage 1 tune?

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1879644&page=3 ( a member is getting a new engine under this recall - member apparently did not have any mods)

This is one of my concerns since my M4 falls under the recall dates, but haven't received any official word.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #43
Visconti
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
So, you think (or are sure) BMW will not honor a warranty even if a recall is in effect (i.e. Main Bearing Shell recall), if the car only has a stage 1 tune?

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1879644&page=3 ( a member is getting a new engine under this recall - member apparently did not have any mods)

This is one of my concerns since my M4 falls under the recall dates, but haven't received any official word.
If you want to know if the car falls under the recall you'll need to have someone at BMW check your VIN on their system. Not the BMW.com website. As you might have already read the BMW USA website is not disclosing this issue. The UK website was, but stopped working once we all started checking. Almost like their reading these threads.

If your car falls under the BMW recall, BMW SHOULD perform the service. If you're tuned, BMW might flash the ecu back to stock - they might also flag your car going forward. I don't see why they would deny this recall because the ecu is now tuned. But anyone who tells you there's no chance of BMW giving you a hard time would be not telling the truth.

btw I have a tuned customer who has the bearing recall. Not sure if he's going to get it done. Last time I read the other thread dealers didn't have access to the parts. My customer's engine has no problems so far. He sent the oil to be check and it came back 100% normal. Not sure if he talked to the dealer about it yet.

John
Appreciate 1
GixY2K516.00
      01-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #44
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you want to know if the car falls under the recall you'll need to have someone at BMW check your VIN on their system. Not the BMW.com website. As you might have already read the BMW USA website is not disclosing this issue. The UK website was, but stopped working once we all started checking. Almost like their reading these threads.

If your car falls under the BMW recall, BMW SHOULD perform the service. If you're tuned, BMW might flash the ecu back to stock - they might also flag your car going forward. I don't see why they would deny this recall because the ecu is now tuned. But anyone who tells you there's no chance of BMW giving you a hard time would be not telling the truth.

btw I have a tuned customer who has the bearing recall. Not sure if he's going to get it done. Last time I read the other thread dealers didn't have access to the parts. My customer's engine has no problems so far. He sent the oil to be check and it came back 100% normal. Not sure if he talked to the dealer about it yet.

John
Thanks for the reply. I already went to my dealer and they said my car did not have any pending recalls. Yet, the dates on the original recall letter had my car as being affected based on built date.

My question was a little, just a bit rhetorical.
Appreciate 0