Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-06-2022, 01:41 PM   #67
femtoevo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5/G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Can an M3/4 DME be mailed in and the exact same physical DME be mailed back unlocked?

ps- maybe I should direct this question to Femtoevo - don't want to take this thread too far off topic
Yes, you will receive your original DME back and it's enclosure will not be opened on our side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
How is the tune affected by a dealer software update? What if the user updates iDrive via over the air software updates from BMW? Does the ECU need to be re-flashed/unlocked again?
None of the existing unlocks are resistant against dealership/ota updates. So the answer is yes - unlock will be removed and you need to send your ECU back again.

Last edited by femtoevo; 01-06-2022 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
GixY2K515.00
      01-06-2022, 01:42 PM   #68
Steve @Euroklasse
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 GT3 & G80M3 & G07 X7

awesome work guys !
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2022, 02:32 PM   #69
Marshall@ViscontiTuning
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Huracan / 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by femtoevo View Post
Yes, you will receive your original DME back and it's enclosure will not be opened on our side.

None of the existing unlocks are resistant against dealership/ota updates. So the answer is yes - unlock will be removed and you need to send your ECU back again.
ECU only needs to be mailed back if you aren't using EcuTek and tuning the OEM ECU. If you have a cloned ECU, we can do the unlock remotely. No shipping of the ECU required.

Last edited by Marshall@ViscontiTuning; 01-06-2022 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
GixY2K515.00
      01-06-2022, 02:33 PM   #70
Visconti
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M3 & MSport 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
you can unlock without ecu removal?
No, the ECU needs to go on vacation for a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Apologies...I likely missed this in the thread.

Simple question is:

Can an M3/4 DME be mailed in and the exact same physical DME be mailed back unlocked?

ps- maybe I should direct this question to Femtoevo - don't want to take this thread too far off topic
Yes, same ecu comes back.

When it's sent in, they read the ecu and can unlock it for you.

If you ever want to upgrade to a cloned ecu your original ecu won't need to go back.

Quote:
How is the tune affected by a dealer software update? What if the user updates iDrive via over the air software updates from BMW? Does the ECU need to be re-flashed/unlocked again?
If you have a cloned ecu it *might* have to get bench unlocked again - which happens locally here.

If you are tuning with your original ecu then it will need to go back to Russia for the unlock again.

This is normally done at a discounted rate - but shipping is still not cheap
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:34 PM   #71
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Camus0 View Post
I pulled the trigger on this for a few reasons:

1- Not saying anything wrong about JB4, but is not for everyone. I never figured it out how to get rid of the throttle closures, I was told just to put it in comfort mode and be happy.

2- Removing the CEL in diagnostic mode every time is a bit annoying. The VPN "hack" doesn't work anymore.

3- Ecutek - I think this is something new to the BMW community, most people here are used to BM3 and MHD, but only people coming from the GTR, BRZ and recently the MKV community, knows the platform.

It's quite nice:

- Ability to flashing offline (no need for internet)
- Many parameters to log
- Racerom support (multi map switching, flex fuel, burbles config, rolling anti lag, etc)
- Nice pool of tuners
- No CEL
- No speed limit
- Custom gauges

I have Ecutek on the Supra, before that I had BM3 OTS maps, it's night and day difference, granted, it's a custom tune in Ecutek and I think you could get a nice result with BM3 too, but the car feels like stock with more power and if you check the logs, the timing is beautiful, zero knock, etc.

Depends on your tuner, but it can expose the E % level in the dashboard, adjust the burbles aggressiveness in real time, switch maps in real time, the rolling anti lag and the seamlessly integration with the flex fuel kit, it's worth it.

I can't wait to have the custom tune on my base G82, with no throttle closures and proper Competition boost levels

Right now the supra spanks the G82 easily with E50 (high 10s @ 126 mph) but the G82 should be able to do high 9s in the 135 mph range...
This is an impressive host of features, good to hear from satisfied customers too. My custom E70 BM3 tune through Paul Johnson sounds like your Ecutek tune though, so this is more about platforms than tuners.

I know it has been covered a bit, but if you or Marshall could explain how the flex fuel and map switching works it would be appreciated.

Are different base tunes still required for the various fuels you use?

Let say for example someone switches between 98 and E50 depending on the day / week.

I assume they still have to have pre-loaded up a 98 tune and an e50 tune to begin with?

If switching from E50 to a 98 blend, would you switch to the 98 tune or just let the flex fuel system adjust the boost / timing as it detects a change in fuel?

Still confused about when the flex fuel does its thing vs when you have to physically change maps. Offline maps is a big positive though. While the BM3 system is good I've been caught out a few times due to internet reception issues, server issues and connection issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:51 PM   #72
0Camus0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2021 Base / Supra 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post
This is an impressive host of features, good to hear from satisfied customers too. My custom E70 BM3 tune through Paul Johnson sounds like your Ecutek tune though, so this is more about platforms than tuners.

I know it has been covered a bit, but if you or Marshall could explain how the flex fuel and map switching works it would be appreciated.

Let say for example someone switches between 98 and E50 depending on the day / week.

I assume they still have to have pre-loaded up a 98 tune and an e50 tune to begin with?

If switching from E50 to a 98 blend, would you switch to the 98 tune or just let the flex fuel system adjust the boost / timing as it detects a change in fuel?

Still confused about when the flex fuel does its thing vs when you have to physically change maps. Offline maps is a big positive though. While the BM3 system is good I've been caught out a few times due to internet reception issues, server issues and connection issues.
That's the main purpose of the flex fuel kit, it connects one of the pins from the E% sensor to the ECU wiring and the ECU will know the current E % content. Then the ECU will adjust the correct AFR and timing tables for that particular blend in real time.

Granted, you need your tuner to provide a tune that takes advantage of the flex fuel kit. On the Supra I have the Visconti flex fuel kit and it works seamlessly with Ecutek, my tuner (Marin) made it work.

If you don't have the flex fuel kit, you may need to flash each time that you want to change blend though.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #73
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Quote:

That's the main purpose of the flex fuel kit, it connects one of the pins from the E% sensor to the ECU wiring and the ECU will know the current E % content. Then the ECU will adjust the correct AFR and timing tables for that particular blend in real time.

Granted, you need your tuner to provide a tune that takes advantage of the flex fuel kit. On the Supra I have the Visconti flex fuel kit and it works seamlessly with Ecutek, my tuner (Marin) made it work.

If you don't have the flex fuel kit, you may need to flash each time that you want to change blend though.
Flex fuel or nothing!!! Lol😂. Pump whatever the hell you want and go baby
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2022, 08:48 PM   #74
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Quote:

That's good that this car's ecu can handle this and allow you to pump E85 at the station without the concern of measuring. Some car ecu are not able to handle this like the Focus RS for example.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 09:14 PM   #75
0Camus0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2021 Base / Supra 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
That's good that this car's ecu can handle this and allow you to pump E85 at the station without the concern of measuring. Some car ecu are not able to handle this like the Focus RS for example.
It can, but you need the Flex Fuel Kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 09:41 PM   #76
mydxb
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

very interesting feedback from both ViscontiTuning & femtoevo
i am not in the US but PP Performance already shipped my ECU to femtoevo so it will arrive back hopefully next week or so.
I tuned many of my cars with PP Performance and they did an excellent job and they deal directly with femtoevo.

however, i need additional ECU to clone it. is it possible to buy directly from you guys at ViscontiTuning another ECU in which you can ship it to me and our friends at PP can clone it locally here?
please let me know if you can offer another ECU?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 09:51 PM   #77
Visconti
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydxb View Post
very interesting feedback from both ViscontiTuning & femtoevo
i am not in the US but PP Performance already shipped my ECU to femtoevo so it will arrive back hopefully next week or so.
I tuned many of my cars with PP Performance and they did an excellent job and they deal directly with femtoevo.

however, i need additional ECU to clone it. is it possible to buy directly from you guys at ViscontiTuning another ECU in which you can ship it to me and our friends at PP can clone it locally here?
please let me know if you can offer another ECU?
If you provide a ECU we would be glad to help you get it sorted.

Our stash of ECUs are only for our direct tuning customers.

John
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 07:41 AM   #78
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

Quote:
I had a 2020 M8 tuned by DME in Houston. Also had catless downpipes installed by them. I received an over-the-air software update notice. I thought to myself...great this will be an improvement to various aspects of the car. I was wrong!! Immediately upon approving the update my tune was deleted and I got a check engine light. DME offered to retune the car but I had already decided to sell the car so I took it to the dealer to have oem downpipes installed. I then sold the car. Lesson learned.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:57 AM   #79
Visconti
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
I had a 2020 M8 tuned by DME in Houston. Also had catless downpipes installed by them. I received an over-the-air software update notice. I thought to myself...great this will be an improvement to various aspects of the car. I was wrong!! Immediately upon approving the update my tune was deleted and I got a check engine light. DME offered to retune the car but I had already decided to sell the car so I took it to the dealer to have oem downpipes installed. I then sold the car. Lesson learned.
Yes, that is a problem

You'll need to disable the over-the-air programming after you do tuning.

It takes 30 seconds to do in the settings menu on the car.

But if your ECU is already up-to-date its not going to immediately attempt to flash back to stock.

It should only be looking at the software version, if the software version if out-of-date it'll want to update.

We always try and tune using the latest software version to help avoid things like this.

John
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 02:21 PM   #80
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Yes, that is a problem

You'll need to disable the over-the-air programming after you do tuning.

It takes 30 seconds to do in the settings menu on the car.

But if your ECU is already up-to-date its not going to immediately attempt to flash back to stock.

It should only be looking at the software version, if the software version if out-of-date it'll want to update.

We always try and tune using the latest software version to help avoid things like this.

John
Thanks for the suggestion on disabling the update setting on the menu. I guess I didn't realize we had that option. A good suggestion for those with tunes or planning to tune in the future.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2022, 06:12 AM   #81
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused about what base tunes are required.

I want to run anything from 98 to lets say, E50. The flex fuel kit is installed.
In addition to that, do I need a good 98 tune and a good E50 tune - with the flex fuel looking after everything in between? Or do I just need one of those base tunes (presumably the E50 one as it would be more aggressive).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #82
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused about what base tunes are required.

I want to run anything from 98 to lets say, E50. The flex fuel kit is installed.
In addition to that, do I need a good 98 tune and a good E50 tune - with the flex fuel looking after everything in between? Or do I just need one of those base tunes (presumably the E50 one as it would be more aggressive).
1 tune. But they could give you different maps to run. You may have 3 maps. Let's just say normal driving map, spirited Sunday drive map and kill map.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 09:22 AM   #83
NKGK20
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M , G80 on

Just curious what's the whp on this 9 sec car?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 10:40 AM   #84
Visconti
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKGK20 View Post
Just curious what's the whp on this 9 sec car?
No idea, street tuned

The 10.5 pumpgas car makes 570whp
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 07:53 AM   #85
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Not sure whose car this is but apparently its tuned via this retailer:

165 on public roads is fucking moronic.
I know should of went faster with all that HP, what a moron.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 09:45 AM   #86
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
No, the ECU needs to go on vacation for a few weeks.
Yeah I aint doing that. Try renting a car right now while it's being tuned lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:19 PM   #87
Marshall@ViscontiTuning
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Huracan / 2022 M3 xDrive

Few more kills and a great example in comparison to a JB4 powered car.

Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      01-10-2022, 08:48 PM   #88
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall@ViscontiTuning View Post
Few more kills and a great example in comparison to a JB4 powered car.

I call BS on these races. 2021 Tuned/DP turbo S should roll a Tune only G whatever.
Appreciate 0