home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-21-2022, 07:21 PM   #221
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Dang.

Am I crazy for going with catless downpipes + AA single midpipe + Remus race then? I like loud, but only to a certain extent.. guess I'll experiment.

What's the return policy Mike? 😅
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:50 PM   #222
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Dang.

Am I crazy for going with catless downpipes + AA single midpipe + Remus race then? I like loud, but only to a certain extent.. guess I'll experiment.

What's the return policy Mike? 😅
Just catless downpipes and Remus Race is too much, unless you reeeeally want the neighbors to hate you.

If you have any plans on going with catless downpipes or midpipe, avoid the Race setup and go Sport. Everybody's ears will thank you.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
Nkr151120.50
Seedster2238.00
      01-21-2022, 11:10 PM   #223
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Got news this morning that the incoming Remus shipment is delayed with a new ETA of 2/28.
Is the delay due to Remus or the courier? In other words, is it at least shipped by Remus?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 12:26 AM   #224
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Is the delay due to Remus or the courier? In other words, is it at least shipped by Remus?
Courier delay, shipment left on 12/21.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 01-22-2022 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 12:28 AM   #225
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by "tom @ eas;28497757"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "iviegatron;28497648"

Courier, delay shipment left on 12/21.
Phew!! I can live with that as long as it left the factory. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 05:23 AM   #226
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedman View Post
Hey.
Thank you. I don't think this will need a lot of work. I will hopefully have a cheap fix soon. My mind is in overtime now I think now I have three sets of clamps. One from remus, one came with the valvetronic midpipe. I also have another set of clamps lying about. If I could somehow use them to complete the installation, I will be a happy man. I think, if all else fails, I can cut a piece from factory midpipe and use a pair of extra clamps to make an extension.

But I have a feeling, it will sound too loud, loud enough to be thrown out of the neighbourhood I think. To me, the single midpipe with valve controller is the ideal set up but I also want to get rid of the suitcase/cows udder and hence I bought the remus.
Keep us posted mate. I'm looking to get a custom single mid pipe made here in the UK (rather than buying the Valvetronic from the US and getting the hose inlets welded in) but also want the Remus Axle-back to finish it off. At some point I will also change downpipes to go alongside some tuning so keen to hear how you find the single mid pipe + remus Axleback.

Good luck with getting a sleeve made to couple them both. Very very keen to know just how obnoxious your setup will be.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 09:33 AM   #227
997CABOVA
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83

saw the Motech video dayummmm Remus sounds so clean and good
best exhaust for the Gx IMO
      01-22-2022, 09:38 AM   #228
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997CABOVA View Post
saw the Motech video dayummmm Remus sounds so clean and good
best exhaust for the Gx IMO
REMUS exhaust is always a top choice

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
997CABOVA187.00
      01-22-2022, 12:12 PM   #229
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3anLantern View Post
Keep us posted mate. I'm looking to get a custom single mid pipe made here in the UK (rather than buying the Valvetronic from the US and getting the hose inlets welded in) but also want the Remus Axle-back to finish it off. At some point I will also change downpipes to go alongside some tuning so keen to hear how you find the single mid pipe + remus Axleback.

Good luck with getting a sleeve made to couple them both. Very very keen to know just how obnoxious your setup will be.
Cheers mate. Will do.

I made my first attempt to fit this axle back. In my view, I did not see any significant gaps between the midpipe and the Remus link pipes. Where I hit a snag was, those damn exhaust plastic hangers wouldn’t come off. I didn’t have the removal tool and I thought I didn’t need one. But then I am not a muscular guy. Somehow got those four pesky things and then realised there were no springs for the actuators. By that point I gave up. I am fairly amateur when it comes to these installations but I still think this is a two man job.

Man that rear box is heavy. It needs a blood hoist to lift it up.

So in short, it was the actuator adapter or springs that proved the rate limiting step for me.

What I also noticed is that man those link pipes are a bitch to connect to the Remus rear box. Whichever angle I turned them, then just won’t sit flush. I ignored this and clamped them anyway but they were moveable when fully connected and screws were tightened.

I think I should let a professional install this one.

I am 100% this will be horrendously loud but I need to hear it. It will be a tough decision for me to give up this or the midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 08:32 PM   #230
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers mate. Will do.

I made my first attempt to fit this axle back. In my view, I did not see any significant gaps between the midpipe and the Remus link pipes. Where I hit a snag was, those damn exhaust plastic hangers wouldn't come off. I didn't have the removal tool and I thought I didn't need one. But then I am not a muscular guy. Somehow got those four pesky things and then realised there were no springs for the actuators. By that point I gave up. I am fairly amateur when it comes to these installations but I still think this is a two man job.

Man that rear box is heavy. It needs a blood hoist to lift it up.

So in short, it was the actuator adapter or springs that proved the rate limiting step for me.

What I also noticed is that man those link pipes are a bitch to connect to the Remus rear box. Whichever angle I turned them, then just won't sit flush. I ignored this and clamped them anyway but they were moveable when fully connected and screws were tightened.

I think I should let a professional install this one.

I am 100% this will be horrendously loud but I need to hear it. It will be a tough decision for me to give up this or the midpipe.

You've had a lot of ups and downs with this G8x exhaust stuff but we appreciate your experience

Let us know how you get on but the fact you're thinking of dropping either one, is making me think I really shouldn't go full Remus catback…
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 05:11 AM   #231
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You've had a lot of ups and downs with this G8x exhaust stuff but we appreciate your experience

Let us know how you get on but the fact you're thinking of dropping either one, is making me think I really shouldn't go full Remus catback…
Cheers mate.

I will still need to see how it sounds with the midpipe+Remus race.

I heard Mike from Motech’s car in person and honestly the best start up rumble sound I ever heard I am not exaggerating. The video sounds like a mono low res mp3 compared to hearing it in the flesh. I haven’t heard it in motion though. On the other hand the valvetronic with vsc is imo the best sounding at high revs. It would be a hard decision to make if either of them would need to go. Together if they sound really good, I may then just try and swap the race box with sport to keep it neighbour friendly. Or maybe consider moving.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 05:27 AM   #232
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cheers mate.

I will still need to see how it sounds with the midpipe+Remus race.

I heard Mike from Motech’s car in person and honestly the best start up rumble sound I ever heard I am not exaggerating. The video sounds like a mono low res mp3 compared to hearing it in the flesh. I haven’t heard it in motion though. On the other hand the valvetronic with vsc is imo the best sounding at high revs. It would be a hard decision to make if either of them would need to go. Together if they sound really good, I may then just try and swap the race box with sport to keep it neighbour friendly. Or maybe consider moving.
Yeah Mike is telling me the full catback is too much and drones on motorways which is the part I can't stand. Specifically, once you've done yours, if you can let us know if it drones at all, that would be good to know as I'd like to do the custom single midpipe +Remus Race GPF Back/Axle-back.
Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00
      01-23-2022, 11:07 AM   #233
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah Mike is telling me the full catback is too much and drones on motorways which is the part I can't stand. Specifically, once you've done yours, if you can let us know if it drones at all, that would be good to know as I'd like to do the custom single midpipe +Remus Race GPF Back/Axle-back.
full catback with upgraded downpipes is too much, in my opinion
either get a full catback with stock downpipes or downpipes + axle back and keep the midpipe stock

Customers who are flash tuned and can disable the cold start might be able t get away with a full catback w/ catted downpipe.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:24 AM   #234
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
full catback with upgraded downpipes is too much, in my opinion
either get a full catback with stock downpipes or downpipes + axle back and keep the midpipe stock

Customers who are flash tuned and can disable the cold start might be able t get away with a full catback w/ catted downpipe.
Thanks for the input (just fyi Mike in my post was the Owner of Motech Performance here in the UK - just in case you were wondering if I've conjured up an imaginary conversation I had with you)!

What are your thoughts on the Full Remus catback? Is it droney at all at motorway speeds?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #235
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input (just fyi Mike in my post was the Owner of Motech Performance here in the UK - just in case you were wondering if I've conjured up an imaginary conversation I had with you)!

What are your thoughts on the Full Remus catback? Is it droney at all at motorway speeds?
oh sorry, i thought you were talking about me

as long as you are keeping stock downpipes, it should not have a drone.

Please note full REMUS catback in Europe is different than in the US

The US one is quieter since it keeps the secondary cats

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #236
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The full downpipes back system that shmee had installed was droning on the motorway in their video but they said it was not too bad, especially for the rear passengers. I personally don't mind the drone at all, gives the sense of being in a performance car. But of course, there are limits to how loud it should be. My mppsk 440i droned in sport with valves open and I always drove it that way.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:49 AM   #237
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Guys,

I am missing some sort of a spring or adapter for valve control from my remus system. I am going to ask for it tomorrow but in case I am unable to get it, can anyone help out what/where I need to get? Is it a spring or something else that I seem to be missing?

Please see pics below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 12:07 PM   #238
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

oh sorry, i thought you were talking about me

as long as you are keeping stock downpipes, it should not have a drone.

Please note full REMUS catback in Europe is different than in the US

The US one is quieter since it keeps the secondary cats
Haha I figured!

Ah, wasn't aware the US one retained secondary cats so maybe worthwhile for me to just get the system up to secondary cars, and not replace those to avoid droning at motorway speeds with valves closed.

Quote:
The full downpipes back system that shmee had installed was droning on the motorway in their video but they said it was not too bad, especially for the rear passengers. I personally don't mind the drone at all, gives the sense of being in a performance car. But of course, there are limits to how loud it should be. My mppsk 440i droned in sport with valves open and I always drove it that way.
Yeah I'm not sure what they meant by "not too bad" and without Shmee letting me ride in his, I'm not sure how I'll ever find out 😂

I actually had a 440i MPPSK with a 200cel downpipe and it was fine in comfort, no real drone at all. But obviously if you had it in sport, the drone was serious at motorway speeds. My C7 RS6 before this was also really loud but in comfort with valves closed, you couldn't tell it wasn't a diesel at motorway speeds.

That's the outcome I want - pretty damn loud (Even if not the loudest it can get) but no drone at 70-80mph with valves closed.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 03:30 PM   #239
FITM3NT
Potato peeler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Quote:
Guys,

I am missing some sort of a spring or adapter for valve control from my remus system. I am going to ask for it tomorrow but in case I am unable to get it, can anyone help out what/where I need to get? Is it a spring or something else that I seem to be missing?

Please see pics below.
I'm assuming you would just transfer the spring set up from your stock?
      01-23-2022, 04:14 PM   #240
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITM3NT View Post
I'm assuming you would just transfer the spring set up from your stock?
I did check the stock set and it looked like I had to bend the support holding it in place in order to remove it. I was worried I would damage it. Also there is a groove on the remus just like it was on the F80 where a spring would fit that remus sent with their exhaust. I will check to see if the stock fitting will work. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 07:27 PM   #241
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I've watched Shmee's video multiple times and he didn't mention drone at all. When they switched it in comfort he mentioned it was more civilized, which I would expect. Lol I hope you get you exhaust fitted soon so you can give your perception as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:23 AM   #242
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
I've watched Shmee's video multiple times and he didn't mention drone at all. When they switched it in comfort he mentioned it was more civilized, which I would expect. Lol I hope you get you exhaust fitted soon so you can give your perception as well.
I can’t wait to get the exhaust fitted. Hate to see it just lying there. I am just missing some attachment thingies for the actuators. Would really hate to install it first and springs later. As soon as I get them, I should be able to have it fitted. Will drive around for a few days to see how antisocial it is.
Appreciate 0